IGNORED

iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Computer Audio

First try: no success.  It seems the setup consisting of all iFi Audio stuff (iG3, Nano USB 3.0, USB 3.0 links) doesn't like to work with the uspcb.  It took me sometime to reinstall driver before I could go back to prior setup and listen again before going to bed.  Will get back to the uspcb later, hopefully tomorrow.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

59 minutes ago, thuandb said:

It seems the setup consisting of all iFi Audio stuff (iG3, Nano USB 3.0, USB 3.0 links) doesn't like to work with the uspcb.

What was the specific problem you encountered?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It worked fine until the USB 3.0 cable plugged into iP2 was replaced by uspcb.  No matter how I tried the ASIO driver didn't get loaded or recognized.  I'll try again later but going back to USB 3.0/iP2 again as the last link before DAC and it sounded splendid.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

11 minutes ago, thuandb said:

It worked fine until the USB 3.0 cable plugged into iP2 was replaced by uspcb.  No matter how I tried the ASIO driver didn't get loaded or recognized.  I'll try again later but going back to USB 3.0/iP2 again as the last link before DAC and it sounded splendid.

how about skipping the IP2 when using the uspcb? direct to dac. 

That's what I did, connecting Nano iUSB3.0 to DAC via the uspcb.  It seems that once I have USB 3.0 links upstream, any USB 2.0 link downstream stops working.  Except for the iP2, which has USB 3.0 input that thankfully accommodates the Mercury 3.0 and itself plugs into the DAC w/o issues.

Having heard the sonic benefits of an all USB 3.0 high quality connections down the DAC, I don't miss the uspbc a bit.  Before the Mercury 3.0 arrived, I had tried the uspcb in place of Curious links and gone back to the CL.

2 hours ago, thuandb said:

It seems that once I have USB 3.0 links upstream, any USB 2.0 link downstream stops working.

I documented problems with USB3 upstream/USB2 downstream cables in a problem ticket for iFi.  I found it worked but Device Manager kept refreshing every few seconds indefinitely, with the child USB3 hub repeatedly disappearing and reappearing.

iFi's response was that they had tested mixed USB3/USB2 cables and 'there is no problem'.  iFi eventually claimed that my motherboard USB3 ports were incompatible ... even though all my other USB3 devices worked perfectly and the iGalvanic worked fine with downstream USB3 devices like a USB3 ethernet adapter or a USB3 flash drive.

I was so annoyed with their dismissive attitude that I returned the iGalvanic for a refund.  I expect a vendor to take a well documented problem seriously and to do some actual work to resolve it.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

So I bought the iFi iGalvanic 3.0, but the SOtM sMs-200Ultra (powered by LPS-1) did not have any juice to make the iGalvanic 3.0 function. Its light would turn on for a brief moment, then nothing.

Anything else I can try before I return he iGalvanic? I don’t want to buy/ add additional gadgets to my already inflated spaghetti chain. Thanks!

On 2017/10/27 at 11:37 AM, thuandb said:

+1.  That's a brilliant idea.  By the way, I like those photos.  They have nice bokeh.

Thx. I use Nikon D600 with a kit lens 24-85mm and 50m 1.4G. a Manfrotto tripod. I also have 4 different lens by Moment for my iPhone. I often take photos when I see anything cool like these two. By the way, I used my iPhone took these images and they have nice bokeh, out of my imagination. 

Am running the two units for 3 months and then lend to my local audio friends. They will do comparisons and so we have a lot of comments. Not just from me. I hate reading new unit reviews, I always want to run them for a while. 

By the way I forgot to add images of my iPhone lens and Nikon gears I mentioned previously. 

77952E2D-4B38-44AB-A6A9-F90D6D797161.jpeg

514FC6C5-36F8-418A-9097-44434EF351DC.jpeg

Recently I have added an iGalvanic to my chain.

This chain is formed by:

PC ---> iUSB3.0 ---> iGalvanic3.0 ---> Diyinhk USB ---> PCM1704 DAC

Before add the iGalvanic I have no problems at all. After add iGalvanic, problems arise: the music flow stops every few seconds. I have to switch off the DAC and replay for other few seconds to get a new interruption.

I have tried several USB cables, swapping position between iGalvanic and iUSB but none of this fixed the problem.

If iGalvanic is out of chain all the things are fine, works perfectly.

Problem is for all the software I have installed, wtfplay, Bug Head and Foobar2k. 

I have read every thread in forums about iGalvanic, and seems to me that grounding would be the devil here.

I get my ohmeter and I can saw that chassis of my PC were not tied to earth properly. I made a little modification and the PC chassis was tied to earth.

My first try was a dissapointing one, sound was very fine, resolutive and extremely clear, but music stopped very fast, the thing went to the worse side. What a mess!! 

A thing was clear: grounds matter!

I look at the USB interface into DAC chassis. It has an isolator between the USB interface and DAC. A crazy idea come to my head and linked the isolated planes of GND.

I try with music and the sound was a bit less resolutive but more fat and present. Music plays for a while until stops, in about 15 minutes or so. 

I think there is folks that have the same problem that me, and would be interesting to hear some hints or experiences.

I have attach a small diagram of connections.

iGalvanic3.0-Default-000.pdf

Intel DH67BL motherboard. Intel i7-3770 CPU. 16 GB RAM DDR3 1333. HDPlex H5 2nd Gen. HDPlex Linear PSU 200W. HDPlex 300W DC-ATX psu. ifi-iUSB3.0 / ifi-iGalvanic3.0, Paul Pang V2 USB card. Asus Xonar Essence STX. Nixon Saru DAC TDA1543 nos, DIYINHK USB interface, diy PCM1704 NOS DAC, ifi nano DAC. ODAC. diy Pass F4 & BA3 frontend, diy EML-320BXLS SE amp., diy D.Self Compact Blameless, diy Aksa 55.  PGA2310 Volume Control.

Dual boot Windows Server 2019 GUI - Windows Server 2019 (Core)

Bug Head 7.27 (avx), Foobar2k, Hysolid

WTFplay

5 minutes ago, luismc said:

This chain is formed by:

Before add the iGalvanic I have no problems at all. After add iGalvanic, problems arise: the music flow stops every few seconds. I have to switch off the DAC and replay for other few seconds to get a new interruption.

I have tried several USB cables, swapping position between iGalvanic and iUSB but none of this fixed the problem.

Problem is for all the software I have installed, wtfplay, Bug Head and Foobar2k. 

I have read every thread in forums about iGalvanic, and seems to me that grounding would be the devil here.

I get my ohmeter and I can saw that chassis of my PC were not tied to earth properly. I made a little modification and the PC chassis was tied to earth.

My first try was a dissapointing one, sound was very fine, resolutive and extremely clear, but music stopped very fast, the thing went to the worse side. What a mess!! 

I look at the USB interface into DAC chassis. It has an isolator between the USB interface and DAC. A crazy idea come to my head and linked the isolated planes of GND.

I try with music and the sound was a bit less resolutive but more fat and present. Music plays for a while until stops, in about 15 minutes or so. 

I think there is folks that have the same problem that me, and would be interesting to hear some hints or experiences.

Check Device Manager, and count the SuperSpeed Hubs, should be 2, one each for the Micro and Galvanic 3.0. Sometimes there are 3, and Device Manager refreshes by itself, that's when the music stops..

Make sure you are using a blue USB 3.0 port from the computer.

I would raise a ticket on ifi.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 10/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, lmitche said:

I duplicated your setup here, same Hqplayer parameters, ASIO driver, cabling, DAC. The only difference is the Windows version, I'm on build 1511. Anyway, I am still getting the tick and random disconnect at the end of a track.

Are you on USB3? One thing to check too is what else do you have connected to nearby USB sockets? Frequently at least two or more of the ports are under same power domain. iDSD can pull quite a bit of current at times, and so do bus powered USB HDDs.

Another thing to try is if you happen to have a USB2 hub... Try connecting such between USB3 port and the DAC. ;)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, One and a half said:

Check Device Manager, and count the SuperSpeed Hubs, should be 2, one each for the Micro and Galvanic 3.0. Sometimes there are 3, and Device Manager refreshes by itself, that's when the music stops..

Make sure you are using a blue USB 3.0 port from the computer.

I would raise a ticket on ifi.

iGalvanic creates two SuperSpeed Hubs and iUSB creates one in WS2012 R2. 

On the other hand wtfplay run over Linux, so I think that can be an electrical issue better than a software one.

Next I could try with another DAC.

Regards,

Luis.

Intel DH67BL motherboard. Intel i7-3770 CPU. 16 GB RAM DDR3 1333. HDPlex H5 2nd Gen. HDPlex Linear PSU 200W. HDPlex 300W DC-ATX psu. ifi-iUSB3.0 / ifi-iGalvanic3.0, Paul Pang V2 USB card. Asus Xonar Essence STX. Nixon Saru DAC TDA1543 nos, DIYINHK USB interface, diy PCM1704 NOS DAC, ifi nano DAC. ODAC. diy Pass F4 & BA3 frontend, diy EML-320BXLS SE amp., diy D.Self Compact Blameless, diy Aksa 55.  PGA2310 Volume Control.

Dual boot Windows Server 2019 GUI - Windows Server 2019 (Core)

Bug Head 7.27 (avx), Foobar2k, Hysolid

WTFplay

1 hour ago, luismc said:

iGalvanic creates two SuperSpeed Hubs and iUSB creates one in WS2012 R2. 

On the other hand wtfplay run over Linux, so I think that can be an electrical issue better than a software one.

Next I could try with another DAC.

Regards,

Luis.

i tried another computer with another DAC. At least one DAC played (with ticks), the other wasn't even detected. The USB register quickly fills up with phantom SuperSpeed hubs. 

To check installed USB devices, simplest is USBDeview, from here.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 3/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

Thus, the iGalvanic3.0 is the perfect solution for computer audiophiles through to recording studios seeking maximum sound quality from their USB digital audio system.

Can you tell me if the igalvanice3 will work with the KORG DS100m, which requires power from the usb to power it?  And if we use it, does the igalvanic need it's own usb driver, or will the korg ASIO driver work with it?  The main reason i want to know is because the audiogate software that comes with the KORG will not allow upsampling except for using it's driver....thanks for your time??

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

The USB register quickly fills up with phantom SuperSpeed hubs. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the USB register ... but my iFi support ticket #419851 was all about phantom SuperSpeed hubs.  See my earlier posts in this thread about my experience with iFi technical support on this issue.  It was never resolved.  iFi ended up telling me my motherboard USB3 ports were incompatible with iGalvanic, which made no sense at all.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Are you on USB3? One thing to check too is what else do you have connected to nearby USB sockets? Frequently at least two or more of the ports are under same power domain. iDSD can pull quite a bit of current at times, and so do bus powered USB HDDs.

Another thing to try is if you happen to have a USB2 hub... Try connecting such between USB3 port and the DAC. ;)

Hi Jussi,

For the longest time the ifi microIDSD was the only USB device on my machine and exhibited this behavior connected to either USB 2 or USB 3 motherboard ports. It also happens with or without my Amber USB Regen and ISO Regen both of which are USB 2 hubs. As you know the DAC runs in battery or USB powers mode and the problem happens in both modes. Different USB cables, from simple belkin, the in-box cables, lush cable and lightspeed 2g all behave in a similar fashion with the biggest difference being the loudness level of the pop which varies across cables. Unfortunately the frequency not disconnects seems to be independent of the cable choice.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 14.11.2017 at 1:42 PM, beerandmusic said:

Can you tell me if the igalvanice3 will work with the KORG DS100m, which requires power from the usb to power it?  And if we use it, does the igalvanic need it's own usb driver, or will the korg ASIO driver work with it?  The main reason i want to know is because the audiogate software that comes with the KORG will not allow upsampling except for using it's driver....thanks for your time??

Your device will work with iGalvanic3.0 as long as it is USB2.0 compliant (max. current of 0.5A). If it needs more, iGalvanic3.0 should handle it via USB3.0 connection (max. current of 0.9A) on your PC. And if this still isn't enough, iGalvanic3.0 fronted by our iDefender3.0 and iPower will do the job.  

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 13.11.2017 at 8:23 PM, luismc said:

This chain is formed by:

Grounding always matters and yes, our iGalvanic3.0 isn't any different in this regard. The most important thing is to go slowly with this device, use its knob at one position, then reconnect and if this doesn't work, try remaining knob settings. But the key is to act slowly, connect one device at a time. 

Also in such situations, please use our support platform, to be found here: http://support.ifi-audio.com

That's the fastest way of us being able to help you. 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF