IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is a big update. Love it!

Definitely! 

It took longer than usual, so I suspected that @Mischa had something special in store for us. Indeed he did!

I've only had it for a few minutes, but everything about it is improved. The sound is noticeably better, and that's across the board, not even including the new modulators. The web interface in HQP OS is greatly enhanced and it recognized my NAA and DAC immediately where I used to have to work with it a little when I did a new HQP OS install. Oh, and many thanks for the Reboot command!

Initial impressions are that this is a fantastic release!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Maybe someone can help me out, where do I find the command to enable CUDA in the new HQP Embedded?

edit: never mind, that's only on Fedora...

It is in the hqplayerd.xml file, "cuda" attribute for "engine" element. Enabled by default in the default configuration. This is one of the "hardware manufacturer configures" items and thus not in the web interface.

Supported now on Ubuntu and Fedora. Earlier was just on Ubuntu.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Many thanks @Miska for this new release! Agree, sound quality is excellent.

Quick question please: I‘m running DSD256 with the new ASDM7ECv2 modulator into my Holo May KTE. No issues, plays very well - but I noticed that load on the first two cores of my i9-9900K seem to get very high loads, with 44.1 material typically between 83 and 89%, with 96k between 92 and 99%, while the other cores are almost idleing below 25%, see screenshot of htop. Is that „normal“…? Would have assumed a more even distribution across cores, isn‘t that too much load on the first two cores? (BIOS settings btw are as per your recommendations)

A6CFB7DC-DCD1-4255-8FE7-FDFBAB7FFE8A.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Bertel said:

Is that „normal“…? Would have assumed a more even distribution across cores

Yes, it is normal. On x64 architecture modulators cannot be efficiently distributed to multiple cores. So for stereo, you have two high load cores, and load on rest of the cores depends on used filters.

18 minutes ago, Bertel said:

isn‘t that too much load on the first two cores? (BIOS settings btw are as per your recommendations)

No, that is good as it allows TurboBoost to achieve higher clock rates for those two cores. The way TurboBoost works is that out of total power budget, it can boost core clocks when other cores are on lower load. Only 9900KS allowed full all-core Turbo, I'm lucky to have one of those.

In some cases, you can help this with GPU offload which moves filters to a GPU allowing high load on fewer cores and thus higher TurboBoost clocks.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

It is in the hqplayerd.xml file, "cuda" attribute for "engine" element. Enabled by default in the default configuration. This is one of the "hardware manufacturer configures" items and thus not in the web interface.

HQPlayer 4 Embedded 4.26.0 can support Intel's core CUDA ?

7 hours ago, Miska said:

And it's not yet in HQP OS, correct?

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Miska This may be yet another dumb question, but do I need to run this command at the end of the install of the rocm libraries to be able to run embedded in Ubuntu 20.04.3 or whatever is the fully up to date LTS version number.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.07.56 PM.png

That or something similar maybe yes. Due to how their packages are installed you may need to also create /opt/rocm symlink. Unfortunately they keep on changing their packaging, so it is hard to give answer that would hold across different ROCm versions.

IMO, their packages should do all that for you automatically. But when I encounter errors I solve those one way or the other.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

That or something similar maybe yes. Due to how their packages are installed you may need to also create /opt/rocm symlink. Unfortunately they keep on changing their packaging, so it is hard to give answer that would hold across different ROCm versions.

IMO, their packages should do all that for you automatically. But when I encounter errors I solve those one way or the other.

Thanks Miska.

No electron left behind.

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Is it starting and exiting immediately?

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 8.01.57 PM.png

Yes, there's some error. You can find details from "journalctl" (system log). You can also do "sudo su -" and try running it from console. Once it starts successfully, stop it with Ctrl-C, do not use it running as root (created files would have wrong owner etc).

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

On HQPlayer OS install what is difference between the x64amd.7z and x64gen.7z builds ?

x64amd requires AVX2 and is similar to the "AMD optimized" build for Ubuntu, and Fedora 34 builds.

x64gen requires SSE4.2 minimum, but supports also AVX, AVX2 and AVX-512 and thus works also on small embedded Atom CPUs and such. But it doesn't perform very well on AMD CPUs. So it is similar to the generic build for Ubuntu.

I am still 'struggling' with the UAC2 input support with UP-Gateway ( incl. WiFi-Kit ) and HQP OS.

Finally managed to install Debian 11 Bullseye with latest netinstall ISO and installed 5.10.75- jl+ custom kernel. For others who like to follow the installation process ( this includes Wifi support ;-), and like to do similar please read on. 

The most important part is to add the missing Chipset firmware for the Wifi Kit ( just add it to the folder on the USB Boot folder named 'firmware' )

After installation process - minimal base system and ssh, login and via ssh.

1.sudo apt install wpasupplicant

2. sudo apt install wireless-tools

3. sudo iwconfig - here you will find the listed Wireless device in my case ' wlx70f11c4308ac '

4. sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

add the following lines:

# Wifi network

allow-hotplug wlx70f11c4308ac

iface wlx70f11c4308ac inet dhcp

wpa-ssid MY-SSID

wpa-psk MY-KEY

5. sudo reboot

6. sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/bullseye/linux-headers-5.10.75-jl+_5.10.75-jl+-2_amd64.deb

7. sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-5.10.75-jl+_5.10.75-jl+-2_amd64.deb

8. sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/bullseye/linux-image-5.10.75-jl+_5.10.75-jl+-2_amd64.deb

9. sudo dpkg -i linux-image-5.10.75-jl+_5.10.75-jl+-2_amd64.deb

10. sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/bullseye/libgmpris_2.2.1-9_amd64.deb

11. sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-9_amd64.deb

12. sudo wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/bullseye/hqplayerd_4.26.2-91_amd64.deb

13. sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.26.2-91_amd64.deb 

- ignore failed installation process messages due to missing dependencies

14. sudo apt --fix-broken install

15. sudo hqplayerd -s hqplayer password ( set username and password for webinterface login )

16. sudo systemctl enable hqplayerd

17. sudo systemctl start hqplayerd

Login via webinterface

Now everything 'should' work as expected BUT if I try to select the USB AUDIO CLASS as INPUT, it is NOT accepted and jumps back to Playlist.

Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

contd. 

Next step was to just use the latest HQP OS image ( hqplayer-embedded-4.26.2-x64amd ) on the the UP-Gateway and boot via USB.

This leads to the following error messages after boot:

' trap invalid opcode ip:55b363854edc sp:7ffff9cd1738 error:0 in hqplayerd [55b363856756+4e4000]'

Booting the same image on a Dell Optiplex 3050 i5 runs with no issues.

Thanks for looking into this.

BTW, this error message also appeared on the UP-Gateway booting from this image WITHOUT the Wireless Kit Hardware being added to the mainboard.

3 hours ago, D-0211 said:

Next step was to just use the latest HQP OS image ( hqplayer-embedded-4.26.2-x64amd ) on the the UP-Gateway and boot via USB.

This leads to the following error messages after boot:

' trap invalid opcode ip:55b363854edc sp:7ffff9cd1738 error:0 in hqplayerd [55b363856756+4e4000]'

Use the "x64gen" image, there the UAC2 input should work and also hqplayerd should work. Atom CPU's don't support AVX2 instruction set, so the "x64amd" image doesn't work due to that reason (invalid opcode).