IGNORED

HQ Player Support

Darryl R

What kind of support should we expect from Signalyst.com for HQPlayer? My server hardware expert and I have spent the last few weeks experimenting with HQPlayer and various server components and power supply configurations. While we had targeted the Linux environment, some compatibility issues with the Ubuntu distribution forced us to fall back to Windows. During this period, when I had contracted hourly Linux support, Signalyst.com stopped responding to either of us after 2 emails. We then went it alone, but when we needed to see if we could use our Linux license to purchase a Windows version, my contractor had to use another email address to get thru to Signalyst. My contractor also informed me that Signalyst requires the purchase of "key code insurance" as the only means of getting a lost license key from them. So I'm wondering if the proprietor of Signalyst.com could articulate or show us where to find his customer support policy, as I have no other means of contacting him. If this content is nested somewhere in Signalyst.com, then I apologize in advance for not finding it.

I would be remiss if I did not use my first thread on CA to applaud individuals who have been absolutely fantastic in their support: Marcin of JPlay (my first choice player), Claudia of HiEnd-AudioPC.com, and Ted Brady whose help goes back a few years when I started using SACD_extract. My hat is off to Claudia, who humbly answered 5 of my emails this weekend with extraordinary proficiency when I was trying to decide which Windows edition to use.

What kind of support should we expect from Signalyst.com for HQPlayer?

There's a free trial period where you can evaluate whether everything works for you. Don't buy a license if you are not happy with the trial... Software is available as-is.

There is nothing baked into the price for tech support.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Caveat emptor!

PS - in contrast, all the more the others, who were so generous with their assistance.

You only have to look at the HQPlayer thread on this forum to see how phenomenally helpful, supportive and attentive Miska is. Personally I've also found him very supportive via direct email at Signalyst.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by this thread, but I don't see how it is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Craig,

I've documented my experience. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. The guy removes your address after 2 emails, and I refuse to hide behind another address. I think this is useful for would-be customers to know. Shouldn't they at least know to budget for key code insurance:) There was nothing obnoxious, offensive, or even otherwise inordinate about my attempted emails (total of about 5 or so). The same thing happened to my associate.

I had no illusions about arousing the indignation of those who have had a good experience, or have personally befriended Mr. Laako.

That said, I'm considering removing the thread. I don't like any of this either.

As somebody who is working in the broadcast television and pro audio industry, designing and operating, supporting such systems since the early nineties, I am really satisfied with the support and help I got from the developer of HQplayer. All my issues were answered and solved promptly and I understand that a one man band operation like Sygnalist is, always mean some kind of compromise regarding support.

I accept it.

The right way to think about HQPlayer is as a solution that Jussi (Miska here) developed for himself and a few friends and has made more broadly available at a ridiculously low price to a limited community of semi-expert users. The core expertise is the filters that Miska has developed for use in upsampling your files to the rate that brings out the best in your DAC (particularly ones that can utilize DSD512 content :) ).

If you want a fully fledged consumer product with a staff of people who can answer the phone, respond to emails and provide customized solutions, look to Roon or elsewhere and expect to pay more up front and for regular updates (actually Roon too is a bargain in that sense, Amarra and JRiver are more typical). Audirvana is more like HQPlayer in that it too is largely a one-man operation.

I, for one, prefer that HQPlayer stay exactly what it is: the very best in sound at a bargain price, focused on only doing those things it is world best at and teaming with others, like Roon, where they do other things really well.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

If you want a fully fledged consumer product with a staff of people who can answer the phone, respond to emails and provide customized solutions, look to Roon or elsewhere and expect to pay more up front and for regular updates (actually Roon too is a bargain in that sense, Amarra and JRiver are more typical). Audirvana is more like HQPlayer in that it too is largely a one-man operation.

I didn't expect that. But clearly others were afforded courtesies we were not, and maybe as a consequence of this, he will consider being a little more thoughtful going forward, and maybe some good will come of this check.

I was just thinking this morning how great HQPlayer service is compared to my experiences with some of the other audio software packages. But then I'm just a lowly, single end-user whose expectations for support come from the world of free-as-in-freedom software—I don't know anything about dealing with contractors, experts, hourly support, etc. Buying a piece of software, to my mind, doesn't make its developer my employee in perpetuity. Nothing personal, just my thoughts.

Nothing personal taken. Nor anything personal to Jussi. This is his policy, a policy to which he has every right.

I didn't expect that. But clearly others were afforded courtesies we were not...

Sorry, wasn't trying to single you out. But this is a still pretty small world and we rely heavily on the good will of a group of pioneers who are getting far more out of good old redbook files than I ever thought possible. Treating them as such, appreciating how busy they are (especially since most do something else as their day job), and a bit of patience and flexibility, generally mean they will get back to you in a responsive manner. As you noted in your first post, there are lots of folks here who will go out of their way to be helpful (Miska included).

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

As an official reseller of HQPlayer, my experience with Jussi's support is that he tries to reply to all emails, sometimes promptly and other times within a week. I also contact him more than normal because I may do it on somebody else's behalf or for technical issues.

Regarding lost license keys, I advice all my buyers to immediately make a back-up of the license key. However, given that "disasters" happen, I also keep a copy of the key in case of emergency. I had a few cases of buyers who come to me after one year of purchase and have lost their key. However, this is a service I do by my own will without retribution knowing that there is usually a charge associated with it.

Sorry, wasn't trying to single you out. But this is a still pretty small world and we rely heavily on the good will of a group of pioneers who are getting far more out of good old redbook files than I ever thought possible. Treating them as such, appreciating how busy they are (especially since most do something else as their day job), and a bit of patience and flexibility, generally mean they will get back to you in a responsive manner. As you noted in your first post, there are lots of folks here who will go out of their way to be helpful (Miska included).

I get it, and I agree, if only it were as you assume. I was very patient, and after about 3 weeks was content to move on until my associate (a reseller who now has refuses to use Signalyst products) informed me of the same. This is now a pattern for Signalyst.com, and as many excuses as you guys all make, it is unacceptable behavior for us, and possibly any would-be buyers who need more than 2 emails of responses.

I get it, and I agree, if only it were as you assume. I was very patient, and after about 3 weeks was content to move on until my associate (a reseller who now has refuses to use Signalyst products) informed me of the same. This is now a pattern for Signalyst.com, and as many excuses as you guys all make, it is unacceptable behavior for us, and possibly any would-be buyers who need more than 2 emails of responses.

Now you're being offensive. We're not 'making excuses'; nor are most of us 'friends' of the person whose company you are denigrating. We're just recounting our experiences as paying customers, which happen to run counter to yours, and accords with the the evidence of helpfulness and support documented in the HQPlayer thread here.

Please don't disparage those of us who responded in good faith because we genuinely believe your experience is unrepresentative and misleading to 'would-be buyers'

My contractor also informed me that Signalyst requires the purchase of "key code insurance" as the only means of getting a lost license key from them.

I'm only reporting the facts, from two of us, reached independently. And I didn't whine about your condescending response. So let us have little latitude for expression, and debate this without hypersensitivity.

You have reported facts. However, regarding the key insurance, at the moment of purchase it is clearly labelled as an extra service which you or your contractor evidently did not wish to buy.

I don't think there is much point to complain about it afterwards for having lost the key inadvertently.

So, true, you're only reporting facts... your own version of it! :)

I'm only reporting the facts, from two of us, reached independently. And I didn't whine about your condescending response. So let us have little latitude for expression, and debate this without hypersensitivity.

You're basing your case on a sample of two in the face of hundreds of posts on this forum, and you think it's me that's being condescending and hypersensitive?!

bibo01 - I didn't lose the key, I was only informed of this option, which I thought was unique:)

craig - Again you're speaking for the site, but I had no idea, little familiarity with this site (again, my intent was to communicate with the guy here, as I was informed that was the only way to get him), and if I'm the problem here, then I can accept that, take all the return fire, without being offended :)

I suspect I'll be persona non grata here, and I've found where to delete the email subscription. Take care guys, and good luck.

bibo01 - I didn't lose the key, I was only informed of this option, which I thought was unique:)

craig - Again you're speaking for the site, but I had no idea, little familiarity with this site (again, my intent was to communicate with the guy here, as I was informed that was the only way to get him), and if I'm the problem here, then I can accept that, take all the return fire, without being offended :)

It was because I appreciated you must be unfamiliar with the site that I pointed you to the HQPlayer thread. That's where I learned, for example, that I needed an additional license for Windows when I already had one for Mac, but that a discount was available. I'm not speaking for the site, simply of my own experience of it.

The support reality for the product is that you have to put in the time in the main HQPlayer thread, period. I sometimes get frustrated by this reality as I try HQPlayer with different OSes and DACs, sometimes getting unexpected results and not always having the patience to put in the time reading what others are seeing and engaging the developer the way the vast majority of his users engage.

While I understand that you might think shame and attention could provide the motivation you were hoping for, in my experience, it accomplishes precisely the opposite. :)

I'm mildly curious about the technical specifics of the issues you were/are having, as a part of the ongoing learning experience with HQPlayer. But social media has its own idiosyncrasies, and I predict your current vector will not achieve the satisfaction you seek.

Hey Samuel,

Actually, I wasn't motivated to try and shame him, knowing full well that others would rally to his defense and make me the bad guy. No problem, that's human nature, and the web way. Again, I was told this was the only way to get in touch with the guy after he blocks you, and after giving him the benefit of the doubt for 3 weeks, I got him to state his policy here. You guys are okay with it, some will not be.

Briefly, the problems were with the compatibility of the various tool I need with Ubuntu. Mr. Laako tells you to install Ubuntu Studio, but there's much more to it than that. I'm back with Windows now, in my comfort zone.

Hey Samuel,

knowing full well that others would rally to his defense and make me the bad guy.

Not sure why I'm trying to say this again, but here goes: I was not rallying to his defence, simply reporting the facts (i.e. Objectively supplying you with the evidence of my experience). I assume others were doing likewise. Why do you assume otherwise?

Briefly, the problems were with the compatibility of the various tool I need with Ubuntu. Mr. Laako tells you to install Ubuntu Studio, but there's much more to it than that. I'm back with Windows now, in my comfort zone.

Daryl,

Can you potentially list out the issues that you ran into and maybe as the collective group we can help figure out what went wrong. When I setup HQPLAYER under Ubuntu or Debian I basically started with bare bones setup and install packages needed to meet Hqplayer dependencies. I think I wrote the steps down and I will see if I can update them for newer Hqplayer and post it inow the main hqplayer thread and will do one similar for naa. I know I've run into issues with pulse taking over the audio chain.