IGNORED

MQA technical analysis

mansr

I'm rubber, you're glue? Nice.

If you want to know who I am, look at what I do.

If you want to believe that who I am is somehow best represented by comments on an audio forum, I'd suggest you need to get out more.

You're no longer offering to give your opinion (singular) of me? I'm disappointed.

That is correct. If we define 'apodising' the way Craven/Stuart/Meridian define it (i.e. minimum phase with the cut-off well below Fs/2, so that any pre-existing ringing at Fs/2 is sliced away), then MQA indeed does NOT use apodising filters.

It is remarkable that the Explorer2, when reproducing standard non-MQA CD-rate material, also does NOT use a Meridian-style apo filter, but rather an extremely leaky minimum phase ... monstrosity.

See figures 2 and 4. Meridian Explorer2 D/A headphone amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

--

Which brings me back to an earlier question of mine: given that the above 'bad' filter also features in the Mytek DAC we can assume it is part of the MQA standard. Does this filter play a role in the folding/unfolding part, and what does this imply for the replay of non-decoded MQA material?

Or, to put it bluntly, if this leaky filter is mandatory part of MQA replay, does this then also imply a leaky filter used during the pre-folding band splitting, thus infecting the baseband with severe aliasing that remains present during non-decoded replay?

I find this interesting. One does not have to know the real inner $motives$ and thoughts of Bob or MQA (or Mytek even if they are guilty by association) on this aspect, just note how the design appears to force the end user into MQA play by the poor handling of non MQA encoded files/music. Awfully $convenient$ for them...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

That is correct. If we define 'apodising' the way Craven/Stuart/Meridian define it (i.e. minimum phase with the cut-off well below Fs/2, so that any pre-existing ringing at Fs/2 is sliced away), then MQA indeed does NOT use apodising filters.

Minimum phase may be released enough close to linear by phase response. However, edge (hi-fi/lo-fi) of non-linearity in this case is estimated by subjective perception anyway.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I am a little surprised to see so much discussion of the basic nature of the MQA DSP even after the response graphs, but will chalk that up to my knowing so little as not to realize it is still very early days in this technical analysis. Let me see though as I try to follow whether this is accurate:

- If filters ring, they will do so at a relatively sharp cut point, if there is content to cut. So for 24/96 material, if the filter has a sharp cut at 48K and there is content at 48K and above, it will ring. (At the moment let's leave aside phase and pre vs post ringing.) Same for 44.1K rate material and a filter that sharply cuts at 22.05K, and etc.

- Apodizing filters don't cut sharply, in order not to ring themselves. So they must start sloping gently well below the frequency of any ringing in the content they receive in order to remove that ringing (well below 22.05K, 48K, or whatever the relevant frequency is).

- Has it been determined at this point that the MQA filters cut so little they won't remove any ringing in the content they're given?

- I'm not catching Fokus' point about what this implies for the encoding, and hope it can be explained in a little more detail.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I couldn't hear squat above 16KHz a couple of years ago and it's probably lower now. I'm assuming aliases will cause no audible harm to anything I'm listening to unless those above 16KHz cause harmonic or intermodulation distortion at audible levels in lower frequencies.

Any indication MQA might do harm in this way? Or in some other evidently audible fashion?

FWIW, the tinnitus induced by MQA persists for me.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I couldn't hear squat above 16KHz a couple of years ago and it's probably lower now. I'm assuming aliases will cause no audible harm to anything I'm listening to unless those above 16KHz cause harmonic or intermodulation distortion at audible levels in lower frequencies.

Any indication MQA might do harm in this way? Or in some other evidently audible fashion?

It is system dependent, so there's no single answer...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

- I'm not catching Fokus' point about what this implies for the encoding, and hope it can be explained in a little more detail.

When MQA folds a 96k recording in a 48k container it needs a low pass filter at 24kHz, to isolate the baseband, and it needs a high pass filter at 24kHz, to isolate the ultrasonics prior to their undersampling (the technically correct term for the folding). Let's call these filters F1l and F1h.

Similarly, during replay/unfolding, the baseband (i.e. music up to 24kHz) has to be reconstructed, requiring a filter F2l. The ultrasonics have to be band-shifted, which can be done by oversampling x2 combined with a high pass filter, F2h. The outputs of these two filters are summed, yielding the full 0-48kHz signal.

For the folding/unfolding to be lossless (i.e. no errors are introduced compared to the original 0-48kHz signal), you can imagine that the four filters F1l, F1h, F2l, F2h have to obey specific criteria, and more, that these four filters are inter-related.

OK. So far for MQA encoding and decoding. Forget it.

Now to the Stereophile measurements of the Mytek and Explorer2. You see there, for normal baserate replay, i.e. non-MQA, that both DACs use the exact-same reconstruction filter. This filter is curious, because it is minimum phase and very lazy, cutting only above Fs/2 (!) and reaching zero only at Fs. This is curious because 1) it is a crappy filter and 2) it is very un-Meridian. And yet, both DACs show the same filter ... coincidence?

This triggers the question: is this filter actually the same as the F2l mentioned above? And if so, what does this tell us about F1l? Does F2l being crappy imply that F1l also is crappy? If true, this would mean that undecoded MQA would be infected by a crappy anti-aliasing filter, causing damage to the signal that is only corrected when MQA decoding is engaged.

But again, this is just conjecture.

This filter is curious, because it is minimum phase and very lazy, cutting only above Fs/2 (!) and reaching zero only at Fs.

May be I can't understang the implementation, but, me seems, ringing is lesser evil than aliases for music signal that is smooth in the time.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

This triggers the question: is this filter actually the same as the F2l mentioned above? And if so, what does this tell us about F1l? Does F2l being crappy imply that F1l also is crappy? If true, this would mean that undecoded MQA would be infected by a crappy anti-aliasing filter, causing damage to the signal that is only corrected when MQA decoding is engaged.

But again, this is just conjecture.

Isn't this why vendors must obtain MQA "certification" ? (so that they correctly implement F1l and F2l).

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Isn't this why vendors must obtain MQA "certification" ? (so that they correctly implement F1l and F2l).

No. The split-and-join filters are a key part of the MQA spec, and implemented in the software.

The certification is required because MQA have to brew up the renderer filters that undo a particular DAC's sins.

Have you gone through their patent filing?

MQA?

And to be read with this patent.

Abstract of this patent: Methods and devices are described whereby a representation of an original PCM signal may be reversibly degraded in a controlled manner and information losslessly embedded to produce a streamable PCM signal, which provides a controlled audio quality when played on standard players and conditional access to a lossless presentation of the original PCM signal. Using such techniques allows control over the level of degradation of the signal and also flexibility in the type information of information embedded. Some methods require a song key, which is employed in one or both of the degrading and embedding steps and for creating a token. These methods may further require a user key, which is used to encrypt the song key before creating the token.

Abstract of earlier patent:

[TABLE=width: 850]

[TR]

[TD](EN) DOUBLY COMPATIBLE LOSSLESS AUDIO BANDWIDTH EXTENSION

(FR) DOUBLE COMPATIBILITY LOSS AUDIO BANDWIDTH EXTENSION

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Abstract:[/TD]

[TD](EN)An encoder for digital audio signals at a higher sampling rate for PCM players without a decoder. The second option allows the loss of a bandwidth, and the second option allows the loss of a bandwidth. -bits of the encoder's output signal.

(FR)A digital audio signal encoder at a high sampling frequency creates a data stream for distribution to a consumer at a low sampling frequency with compatibility with standard PCM drives without a decoder. In conjunction with an appropriate decoder, two enhanced playback options are supported: the first option allows full reconstruction without loss of a high sampling rate-to-noise signal; The second option allowing for lossy bandwidth extension even if an intervening transmission chain has truncated the low order bits of the encoder output signal.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Have you gone through their patent filing?

MQA?

A patent is not a spec for the actual thing. Any specifics mentioned in a patent are generally mere examples of what an implementation might look like. Patents also omit essential details in order not to reveal more than necessary, and also to be as broad as possible in scope. Reading the patent will, at best, give you a rough idea of what they're doing. That's if you don't go mad from exposure to the contorted language employed therein.

Have you seen any evidence of such? At least the Explorer2 vs Brooklyn look the same. Luckily Brooklyn has proper filters for non-MQA listening too, plus DSD support.

I'd love to get my hands on a few different DACs with a logic analyser, but I'm not going to spend that money.

A patent is not a spec for the actual thing. Any specifics mentioned in a patent are generally mere examples of what an implementation might look like. Patents also omit essential details in order not to reveal more than necessary, and also to be as broad as possible in scope. Reading the patent will, at best, give you a rough idea of what they're doing. That's if you don't go mad from exposure to the contorted language employed therein.

Understood. Didn't really understand much of what was written there and also in this thread. :)

I thought the patent might interest you because it mentioned about encryption and watermarking the lossless version and did mention that without the decoder you only get lossy version of the MQA file.

Anyway, thank you for the thread. I know what not to expect with MQA with my current DAC.

Cheers!

Understood. Didn't really understand much of what was written there and also in this thread. :)

I thought the patent might interest you because it mentioned about encryption and watermarking the lossless version and did mention that without the decoder you only get lossy version of the MQA file.

Anyway, thank you for the thread. I know what not to expect with MQA with my current DAC.

I have looked at the patent, but it's not helpful whatsoever in understanding what the decoder actually does.