IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Just now, firedog said:

Because like with most things, MQA obfuscates. Their marketing speak makes it sound as if the principals involved with the recordings are "authenticating" the masters. Obviously this isn't true, as some MQA material is old and the principals are all dead. No performing artist, producer, or engineer is around to authenticate. So someone at the rights holder is doing it. Could be someone with real knowledge of the music, or it could be some office flunky looking at a database on a computer screen. 
Clearly there are a few "white glove" MQA issues that have been authenticated by the artist or the producer, but these are the exception that prove the rule - that the "authentication" is mostly done by someone other than the artist or a central person in the production team. 

Well stated...and the the audio press continue to spread fantastical stories about MQA...

Example: Munich 2019 report:

When I questioned EMM Labs' Shahin al Rashid about using the NS1 to play PCM resolutions higher than 192, he noted that if the file is encoded in MQA, the NS1 can easily stream 384 PCM. This is because the Network Streamer sees the file as 44.1, and then unfolds it accordingly. Final rendering is performed by the DAC.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/emm-labs-ns1-network-streamer#M23BFOv65xj6rGSp.99

Just now, John_Atkinson said:

Lack of time to negotiate with streaming companies. Now that I am retired and have less daily stress -  I was working >80-hour weeks without a break the past couple of years as Stereophile's editor in chief -  this is one of the things on my to-do list.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Owner, Stereophile Recordings

Understood. 👍

11 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I assume you’re saying that all these companies have decided not to include MQA decoding in their products but I’m not aware of Sonore selling anything where that would come up. 

vortecjr

"Here are some of the issues:

1. HD Track was suppose to offer MQA streaming and now they are not.

2. Roon will have decoding soon.

3. A+ already has MQA decoding.

4. No way to use Tidal masters direct.

5. Add to these a few more issues like contacts, fees, and all the negativity.

From a practical perspective we can arrange to upsample all 44.1k and 48k content to 96k and call it a day. This solution will work with any content and not just MQA content.

Finally, there are no issues between us and MQA...they have been very cool with us."

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

No. We didn't "through in the towel" per say...the work is done and it's working fine. We just changed our mines because while we were working on it the landscape changed. The main issues as mentioned above were Roon, A+, Tidal, and HD Tracks. The other main issue was the contacts and fees (yuck). From my perspective they should give it to us for free and just charge the content providers since in affect we would be helping them promote it. I said, "all the negativity" to give a bone to the cause:) You guys may not want it or like it, but a lot of people do and I still gets emails about it. 

I never said you did not put in the effort, and that no significant work had been done, but what I am missing here...you threw in the towel, pulled the ripped cord, for what ever reason... I think that is a perfectly accurate description. I am not sure why are trying to soften your own words quoted above.

BTW, if you continue to get user requests, it is absolutely your prerogative as the business owner to change your mind and offer MQA. It is also the perogative of consumers to skip your product. But you have to do what is best for your company. 

Whether you believe in the "technology" and I used that term loosely, is another question.

6 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I didn't soften anything...I explained the comment as only "I" can do. MQA is last on the list and last in importance to me. I have not put it in for the same reasons already explained...nothing has changed with the landscape. No reason to add it because it's indirectly supported through various other means. What MQA products are people boycotting over MQA...Roon, Tidal or A+. These solutions seem pretty popular to me despite MQA support. I support Roon, Tidal and A+ for doing it if for no other reason because they allow people to judge for themselves. 

Thank you for your very clear response.  I think this position is perfectly reasonable.  

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Or, yours was actually the first* reasonable reply in recent memory that was both civil and informative when someone said they liked the way a MQA file sounded. Might be that people are just a tad bit gun shy... 

*Or at least, one of the first. 

I don't suppose you could sponsor a moderated talk with Bob Stuart?  I'm pretty sure he would jump if you offered the chance, and ageed to moderate it so he is not attacked. It might be somewhat informative, on either or both sides of the argument. Just don't let him filter the questions ahead of time. :)

-Paul 

Oh, you mean something like this? LOL!!!!

LOL

21 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I’d like to ask Bob Stuart two questions. First How will the acquisition by Sound United of MQA licenses Onkyo, Pioneer and Integra impact MQA Ltd.? Second when will MQA plugins be available for digital audio workstations? I asked Bob the second question at the Los Angeles Audio Show in 2017 and I would like an update.

If I got third question it would be why have you and Ken Forsythe tried to shut down the “MQA is Vaporware” thread?

How about if he is such an AES decorated genius and giant of digital audio he did not design an ADC that solves the, ahem, "timing errors" and "blurring" at the capture point? Oh wait, they did not even have the chops to design a stand alone DAC...🤣

32 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I would say that MQA Ltd has been under pressure since June of 2015 when Reinet made their investment.

What would be different now? Maybe the following in the United States. Deezer’s highest resolution is CD quality despite signing an agreement with MQA Ltd in 2018. Tidal’s Hi-Fi tier has maybe 100,000 subscribers in the US. And according to their press release announcing MQA on iPhones they have 165,000 MQA tracks, CD quality is over 40 million tracks. Nugs.net has MQA concerts and albums to stream and download but they one of seven or eight choices to buy. Onkyo Music has MQA downloads, but they use 7Digital to run their store. 7Digital may be out of business in July if they can’t raise more capital. If 7Digital goes out of business Napster can pick up some of the slack now that they support MQA as option but their parent company RealNetworks is projecting a loss this quarter on revenue only slightly higher than the first quarter.

I consider this very limited access to MQA music. Limited enough that there isn’t demand for MQA DACs and other music playback equipment. Hardware royalties are what the MQA Ltd. business model is based on.

I doubt anyone from MQA Ltd will show up here. Just before I introduced myself to Mike Jbara (CEO) he said within earshot we will never get the Computer Audiophile crowd. This was at the end of RMAF 18 and after Marc Finer of the Digital Entertainment Group told me Qobuz not using MQA tells you all you need to know.

Solid overview of the bleak situation for MQA. I will however, add that ProStudioMasters has gone all in with MQA. But i am sure that even among MQA devotees that purchasing MQA tracks is a non starter. 

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

New video by Darko with Bob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mq_RDiROI

This is sickening...I have never heard so much absolute excrement. 

History shows that when charlatans are just about out of options, they try to redefine established technical terms, distort reality, and with a straight face spew horse manure in a fashion that make palatable to the ignorant. 

36 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

That’s a bit extreme... 

I’ve noticed in interviews, the more controversial the comment from Bob’s mouth, the quieter he gets. Almost like a whisper. Makes me chuckle every time. We can still hear you Bob.

I love how Darko cuts it quickly with Bob’s very last comment... “it’s good for everybody”

I wonder if they both burst out laughing right after.

"That’s a bit extreme... "

Nope, 

Other than that, good observations. 

26 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Be careful -- that horrible bug might start being resistant to treatment, then we might all be stuck with it.  It is a good idea to 'be careful' about what one is doing nowadays.  The world used to be much simpler, but not anymore -- just be safe.

Funny, because I often hear folks state they don't want their music files or gear "infected" with MQA..😍

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, firedog said:

I corrected him in the comments and will continue to do so. It really is scandalous that he continues to write this. It's exactly the type of thing that JA and the others at Stereophile seem to be oblivious to when  they seem not to understand why their publications and writings aren't held in the highest esteem here. 

Well done pero de fuego!😎

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Again, you're missing the point, which is that MQA gives writers something new to write about and get paid for.

I disagree with you. There is always something "new" to write about with the endless product churn, non stop hifi shows, price escalation, and heaven help us, cables. 

No, MQA does not fall into the paradigm you describe..there was special attention and interest paid to it.  Clearly Atkinson and his cabal thought it was their gift from the gods that would help create a frenzy, and more ad revenue would follow.