IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Chris and others. Thanks for taking time to enlighten me 😀

Feel free to read the 832 pages in this thread, any other thread, and even Archimago's blog.  MQA promoters have brought up the same BS hundreds of times.  If after this you have questions that have not been examined and refuted a hundred times, feel free to call Bob Stuart.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

"By designing MQA based on how sound travels through air – the purest distribution platform – MQA puts great emphasis on the preservation of natural dynamic range and timing information. "

My God, that Mike Jbara is a true genius!  And Bob Stuart, he has crossed over into a new paradigm! He designed MQA to be listened to in AIR! My God, no wonder they gave him the Prince Phillip award!

That has been our problem all along, we have been listening to music in a vacuum! We have not been getting the full sound (or any sound).  And, we died!

Yes, I think Mike Jbara was brought over to MQA for his connection to Warner music. And maybe his ethical standards.  It was definitely not for his intelligence.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes. He absolutely has the music label mindset and lack of tact. Ask people who he has bullied in HiFi. Makes everyone excited to do business with him and MQA. Said nobody ever. 

The fact that MQA has gotten this far astounds me.  It is testament to the fact that Warner and MQA want to ram this down the music consumer's throats.

MQA wants to force the contaminated brandy on the music consumer.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes. He absolutely has the music label mindset and lack of tact. Ask people who he has bullied in HiFi. Makes everyone excited to do business with him and MQA. Said nobody ever. 

Perhaps we need to post a link to the RMAF 2018 seminar so that people can actually see who it is pushing this scheme.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

1. If the stated purpose isn't correct, than what was the real purpose? How did you determine it?

2. I don't know what temporal blurring is. Time domain is the flip side of the frequency domain.

3. I'm not familiar with the "McGill study". I have verified through my own testing using Tidal, MQA-CDs and downloaded MQA albums that MQA has the potential to sound better. I downloaded multiple versions of an album I found with an pamplet which lists the engineers, studio and the audio formats (this is a multi-channel 192 kHz album). There's no reason to believe that MQA was mastered any differently than the stereo PCM version. I got a MQA-CD sampler from CDJapan which includes the CD version of the same MQA-CD tracks for comparison purposes. Now, mind you MQA-CD also uses UHQCD which is a new CD media technology that improves signal quality -- but in my testing with that format the quality increase is minor.

So, how did you verify that MQA didn't make a difference? DAC? System? Albums?

You've been drinking the contaminated brandy.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

7 minutes ago, GUTB said:

1. If the stated purpose isn't correct, than what was the real purpose? How did you determine it?

2. I don't know what temporal blurring is. Time domain is the flip side of the frequency domain.

3. I'm not familiar with the "McGill study". I have verified through my own testing using Tidal, MQA-CDs and downloaded MQA albums that MQA has the potential to sound better. I downloaded multiple versions of an album I found with an pamplet which lists the engineers, studio and the audio formats (this is a multi-channel 192 kHz album). There's no reason to believe that MQA was mastered any differently than the stereo PCM version. I got a MQA-CD sampler from CDJapan which includes the CD version of the same MQA-CD tracks for comparison purposes. Now, mind you MQA-CD also uses UHQCD which is a new CD media technology that improves signal quality -- but in my testing with that format the quality increase is minor.

So, how did you verify that MQA didn't make a difference? DAC? System? Albums?

Do you have any idea...........

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

6 hours ago, GUTB said:

I appreciate the reaction image, but if you have a better understanding of the process please share. I understand that MQA Ltd. doesn't want to tell the public how exactly it works because it would be stolen. So we have no choice to go by what Stuart says in interviews and other industry people who have an inside track, for example Roon.

It's been repeated several times that time domain correction was the driving motivation of MQA. The business aspect of it, providing a compression technique to make hi-res content delivery more economical is there to bring the streaming services onboard. The authentication aspect is for labels. These are things which MQA, a for-profit company, will try to market to consumers. How they chose to market it isn't relevant to me, I only care about the sonic benefits. Don't you care about the sonic benefits?

What MQA is giving you is "TOT".

MQA is supplying you with contaminated brandy.

It's a metaphor.  Look it up.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

15 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

It has not been confirmed what the decoder actually do. Unfolding, upsampling, adding 8 zeros etc.

I think the encoding and decoding process is described in these AES papers. I don’t know. And I think whatever the code is doing, it’s a MQA secret. 

It’s noted your definition is upsampling. I disagree. I’m very confident it’s an display error in Roon. But those that truly knows, won’t tell. That’s very annoying.

MQA is an end to end process. Whatever that actually means. But I think they’re very keen on keeping the original file bits and rates. Nowhere is up and down sampling said to happen during the MQA process. 

MQA website says:

“A full decoder is able to indicate MQA Provenance and other information such as Original Sample Rate on its UI.”

“Origami is always used when the input sample rate is higher than the ‘transmission rate’.”

(So one may suggest it’s not used in some cases, like when transmission rate equals sample rate)

“When the input is PCM, the output stream will have the same bit-depth as the input unless either a) Origami is used or b) the input is DSD or floating-point; in these cases, the MQA stream output will always be 24 bit. So an original at 44.1 kHz/24b will create a 24b file and 44.1kHz/16b will create a 16b file. However an original of 96kHz/16b) will generate a 48kHz/24b MQA file because Origami was used.”

The last statement tells me that a transfer rate must be 48kHz/24 if Origami is in use.

Under is one explanation that says how 16b can be 24b, but that explanation can’t apply to Roon. It’s totally impossible. (Well in my system, as I use a Sonictransporter). 

“But there is one harmless way it can be changed and that is if a 16b MQA stream is extended to 24b by the addition of zeros to the bottom 8 bits. The zeros contain no information and the MQA decoder will ignore them.

There is no benefit to this word-width extension, but it can happen benignly and automatically if a 16b MQA stream is passed over a 24-bit link such as SPDIF/optical or HDMI. 16-bit MQA goes in, 24 PCM bits come out, but the audio information in the top 16-bits is not changed – and that is all we care about.“

Do you have another interpretation of Bob’s words, that can point us in the direction that decoder is upsampling ? If so, please tell us. 

Seriously?

Did you study with Lee?

Or...

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook