IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I'm running my NUC7PJYH/AL ramroot wireless and it sounds great.  When the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN is available I'll probably run wired instead Asus RT-AC3100 -> EtherREGEN -> NUC.

In the meantime, I decided to try the 19V fixed rail of my new HDPLEX 200W LPS on the Asus router... specs are 19V/max 2.37A.  I really wasn't expecting much.  I was wrong.  There's definitely an improvement in clarity that is quite compelling.

The NUC7PJYH (10W TDP) runs on the HDPLEX 2A adjustable rail set to 15V.  I've done some BIOS tuning like disabling SpeedStep to optimize sound quality, but the NUC booted up no problem right out of the box with this supply. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

For those who want to build a very powerful server, some intriguing upcoming AMD processors.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3068713/amds-16-core-ryzen-9-cpu-prematurely-listed-by-russian-retailer

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

On 12/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, rickca said:

But would it sound better to have the NUC run only the player/endpoint function and run the server function (I guess that's LMS) on Windows 10?  

Thanks to @austinpop and @LTG2010 I have this working ... LMS on Windows 10 server and squeezelite on AL/NUC7PJYH.  I have my own rips on the Windows 10 server.

So now a question about streaming Qobuz with this configuration.  Both my Windows 10 machine and my NUC are running wireless 5GHz.  With UPnP/DLNA, the Qobuz FLAC goes straight to the renderer (unless you're running A+) ... the server running MinimServer isn't involved.  What about my Windows 10/NUC configuration running LMS/squeezelite?  Since the Qobuz plugin is an LMS thing (not squeezelite), does the Qobuz FLAC come to the LMS instance running on Windows 10 and then get sent to squeezelite on the NUC?  Or is it like UPnP/DLNA, and the Qobuz FLAC goes straight to the renderer?

The reason for this question?  When playing my own rips, obviously server side optimizations like power supply will make a difference.  I'm wondering whether they would make any difference when streaming from Qobuz.

7 hours ago, hols said:

We have also tried to use the stock 19V SMPS that come with the NUC8i7 Kit and the sound is way way inferior to my HDplex 19V output. 

Which HDPLEX are you using?  Is it the new 200W LPS or an older unit? 

5 minutes ago, hols said:

I use Supra cat 8 ethernet cables in other less strategic areas

Do you know whether the standard Supra cat 8 ethernet cables have a floating shield or not?  I've heard good feedback about these for the price.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Iving said:

molex on mobo inc PCIe

I still don't get it.  What molex on the motherboard?  Are you saying that your motherboard (which delivers power to the PCIe slots) is powered by your HDPLEX?  How is this supplying dedicated PCIe power from the HDPLEX?  Sorry if I'm just being dense.  I can't really tell what you're doing from the pictures alone.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:42 AM, numlog said:

it turns out that with a card adapter like this M.2 can be powered externally

How?

34 minutes ago, rickca said:

I still don't get it.  What molex on the motherboard?  Are you saying that your motherboard (which delivers power to the PCIe slots) is powered by your HDPLEX?  How is this supplying dedicated PCIe power from the HDPLEX?  Sorry if I'm just being dense.  I can't really tell what you're doing from the pictures alone.

OK now I see what you mean.  I didn't realize the Z270-WS has a 6-pin for the PCIe slots on the motherboard.  I've never seen that feature before.

17 minutes ago, numlog said:

by cutting PCIe power pin traces and soldering on an external supply, a sloppy solution but it works. just after finding that this guy found another way. this one doesnt require modding but uses 5V external power when M.2 are powered with 3.3V( probably for the same reason the adapter uses 12V from PCIe slot, because PC 3.3V rail is expected to be dirty), with probably a DC-DC converter onboard to drop it down, so Id still prefer modify the adapter and use my own 3.3V supply.

OK, that kind of mod is way beyond my DIY skills.  I'd forgotten that Roy mentioned that Addonics card.

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

it doesn't remove the additional benefit that bridging still seems to provide

How are you bridging on the i7 NUC, are you using a USB ethernet adapter?

7 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I also like the JCAT Net Femto card, and having it clocked with sCLK-EX and sCLK-OCX10 now is really elevated SQ higher.

Beautiful setup.  My question is whether the EtherREGEN will reduce the need for such a sophisticated server.  I'm hoping.

3 minutes ago, andervt said:

I also compared my SOTM-SMS-200 Ultra Neo and tx-USBultra (no master clock) to the 4-core Pentium Audio Linux NUC.

Some people are using a tX-USBultra with a quad core pentium NUC running AL.  Try comparing sMS-200ultra Neo + tX-USBultra to NUC/AL + tX-USBultra.

• 2 weeks later...

39 minutes ago, numlog said:

Was the goal to provide clean 5V through the USB ports or power the USB chips? you can still achieve both with that card

How can you achieve both?  Here is what I got from Startech

Startech.jpg

@numlog your expertise is impressive!  Unfortunately, I am unable to do anything requiring fine motor skills like soldering due to my shaky hands.  I really appreciate you taking the time to document your solution.  I hope another user will benefit from your guidance.

Just announced ... Amazon is buying wifi mesh company Eero.

Sorry I'm lost.  How can you have a switch between the server and the endpoint and still be bridging the server?

OK thanks, guys!  I understand the ethernet bridge idea, but I was hung up on thinking one leg of the bridge connected the server to the endpoint.  Now instead the server is connected to the switch and the endpoint is connected to the switch.

The other leg of the ethernet bridge connects to the router (or another intervening switch).

If we use the terminology 'ethernet bridge' meaning two or more bridged NICs I think we can avoid confusion.

I always thought the reason we were using an ethernet bridge on the server was to directly attach an endpoint instead of attaching the endpoint to the router.

Now that we have both server and endpoint connected to the same switch, why is using an ethernet bridge still a good idea?

Sorry if I'm being really obtuse.