IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 hours ago, Johnseye said:

John,

1. The reasons are that it becomes possible to use an LPS-1 and that there is a grounding screw on v2.  Is there a benefit from using a linear PSU even when shunting with this switch?  Is there any benefit of using the grounding screw?
  2. If one has multiple switches with multiple devices connected to them throughout a home network, do you see a benefit of using these models, shunted to contain the noise?

Thanks

There is no advantage from a leakage standpoint using an LPS. The grounded output of the SMPS already gets the leakage to essentially zero. There MAY be an advantage to a low noise supply, but I don't know for sure, I haven't spent any time looking at that.

The grounding screw is only useful if it directly connects to the ground plane of the switch. Just grounding the metal chassis is not sufficient. Grounding the negative of the supply guarantees that the ground plane of the PCB gets grounded. I just put a meter on mine, the ground screw does NOT connect to the ground plane, so connecting to it is not sufficient.

There should be no need to use these models anywhere else in the system. That is the whole purpose of these, IF the supply is grounded they completely block any leakage coming in from anywhere else on your network, period.

John S.

9 hours ago, Summit said:

If I get a switch with one of FS105 and FS108 and grounding the negative of the output of the SMPS I will get rid of both the leakage from the SMPS and the network leakage, ok. Is it best to have the switch on the same outlet as the AE or can I have it on another outlet next to the router or does it not matter?

The switch can be on a different strip than the AE, BUT the grounding plug needs to be on the same strip as the SMPS.

John S.

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

John, you findings with small SMPSes are great. Is it possible to divert leakages currents to ground with an ATX SMPS power supply in a similar way?

My assumption is that these supplies use a common ground, so shouldn't grounding any neutral wire from any arbitrary modular ATX PSU output plug accomplish the same?

I haven't tried that aspect. IF the ATX supply has output "gnd" wires connected to the safety ground of the power cord then that should be sufficient. IF the back wires are not connected to the power cord gnd, then yes grounding any of the output "gnd" wires should be sufficient.

John S

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks John.  It would be interesting if this shunt blocked most of the noise from an SMPS making an LPS unnecessary.  I tried your shunt recommendation yesterday.  Still trying to determine whether I can "hear" a difference.  I do use LPS's so my noise level may already be low.  Need to do some A-B listening tests.  It's good for others doing this to know that the space where the wire plugs into the 5.5 x 2.1 mm adapters is small.  If you're using 14 gauge solid cable to connect between the two, your cable running to the wall plug needs to be pretty thin.

I didn't see this specifically mentioned, but I assume it's safe to run grounding wires from more than one adapter shunt to a single wall plug?

Yes, you can use one gnd plug to ground several SMPS, as long as they are all plugged into the same strip as the ground plug.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, lmitche said:

John, isn't this the design of the power and clock circuits in the ISO Regen?

The ISO REGEN does not have a clock synthesizer chip. The hub chip is directly connected to the output of the 575. Custom 575 chips are used which have the correct frequency for the hub chip. There are 5 LT3042 regulators powering different circuits.

John S.

19 hours ago, rickca said:

John, do your comments apply equally to something like the Mutec Ref 10 output going into an sCLK-EX card, or is that a different situation than the sCLK-EX output going into an SOtM clock connect PCB that replaces a motherboard clock?

I don't know what SoTM does in any of these situations. The Ref10 has clock output of the appropriate impedance (some 50 some 75) so they will drive a coax properly. The ref inputs on the clock synthesizer chips are designed for low voltage, so they can handle reduces signal amplitude from the properly terminated source. I presume the ref input on the SoTM board has the proper termination resistor for the connector being used.

I have no idea what is on the clock interface board, but it is probably some form of termination and maybe a conversion chip. I presume they did it right so it will work driving standard CMOS inputs.

I was writing the post to people that want to do their own clock distribution scheme to let them know it is not so simple to do it right.

John S.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John @JohnSwenson

While it's complicated stuff for sure, it's kind of semi intuitive for a layman like me to understand that it's possible phase noise (or something else that isn't leakage currents) along the chain can interact and move around the system into your DAC. How phase noise moves around and how it interacts is the complicated stuff, for smart people like you.

BUT, from my layman perspective - how does a wireless (WiFi) networked USB endpoint fit into this picture? Is the phase noise of this wireless/mobile USB endpoint now the only phase noise that matters feeding the USB DAC input, since there is no electrical connection with the upstream components?

I guess the obvious silly question I'm asking is, does this problematic phase noise you're studying, travel over WiFi? LOL it sounds like such a silly question even reading it back to myself but I need to ask. If a WiFi USB endpoint is running off batteries, then you have no leakage currents involved in that path. No such thing as a free lunch of course, since you have potential RF/EMI issues.

But for these questions, just putt aside potential for RF/EMI issues with wireless transmissions and assume bit perfect playback of course.

Cheers!

The answer is "I don't know". That is why I am doing the research, to find out what is going. Before I do that, ANYTHING is purely a guess.

Six months to a year from now I will be able to answer that question, but as of now, no idea.

John S.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
17 hours ago, sandyk said:

Clearly., you do  not have a problem like some, as 40.0~41.1 degree C is quite a low temperature (comfortably warm)  for most electronic devices You also need to take into account the Ambient Temperature at different locations.

Unless it uses internal switching voltage regulators, then it should run noticeably warmer at the higher voltage unless it is in a well ventilated or Air Conditioned area when it is drawing >1A, even if the current draw is a little less at 12V.

7V at >1A is quite a bit of heat to dissipate in a small case (>7W)

The EtherREGEN does in fact use a whole bunch(12) of very highly shielded very low emi switching DC-DC converters, each of which drives a carefully designed passive filter then into a linear regulator. This was the only way to run the power networks. Most of the current drawn is in the 1.0-1.2V range which would burn up linear regulators trying to drop the full range.

Thus the power dissipation of the EtherREGEN stays almost constant as you change the input voltage.

John S.