IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Your review on SR7 does appear to be an excellent choice for this application, but I am very discouraged in trying to acquire one due to unfavorable communication and lead-time.  Hopefully there are other options available...

Thanks for the input.  I should clarify, for this particular server, I only plan to use -2's filters, which from experience, 65w processor will work fine, but to run non -2's filters, it will require more than 4 cores, which I am not planning to build at this time.

Something else to keep in mind.  Adding up the mfg stated wattage is going to give you a max rated amount.  Actual utilization is going to be much less.  For example, my previous server added up was about 75w total.  Actual utilization when measured with a Kill A Watt ended up being around 20w.  

34 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Johnseye

There are items such as Fan filters.Neither do the fans need to be powered by motherboard PWM pulses that cause RF/EMI

There are also fans that come with a thermistor as well as a rheostat for manual control.  Using cheap shielded SATA leads that are as short as possible will also greatly reduce RF/EMI pickup

Alex

I know.

16 minutes ago, Kritpoon said:

Just wants to share something, I have upgrades my front end from NAS->UltraRendu (LPS-1)->IsoRegen(LPS-1) all was replaced with a single box server Antipodes DX Gen3 with the new board (with 4TB SSD storage)->Lush Cable->Mutec MC-3+ USB (With REF10)->Yggdrasil. It thought that my spaghetti chain sounds really really good and I was very happy. There came along the Antipodes and everything else was a history. IMHO the Antipodes is much much for natural, organic, very resolving without any harshness. The midrange and upper-midrage is very smooth. Comparing to the same song I hear on both system, the UltraRendu with ISO-Regen still has some digital harshness in HF and mid-HF.  Image is very 3d and holographic. At one point, I thought I was listening to a Vinyl rig. Its really really good. I have not try it with the ISO-Regen, but once it pass the burn in period I might put in the ISO-Regen to see its effect.

What Antipodes device are you using?  It could be due to the LPSU it uses.  In the end it's a server or renderer so its performance will largely depend on the components used.

32 minutes ago, Kritpoon said:

I am using Antipodes DX Generation 3 (with the newV4X circuit utilizing customized ASUS board) Music Server. I found it to be better than NAS+NAA in my previous setup (as described above). I think its overall design on the server board and its in house modified OS version of Linux (I think same OS platform use by Sonore and/or Sonicorbiter). Beside the Server is very lower power less than 25w while in operation.

I like their approach.  It's the same thing we've been discussing here as we build similar devices like this ourselves.  What's the cost?

41 minutes ago, Summit said:

No I didn’t say a bigger ATX mobo performs better than a mini PC. I merely exemplify that in my audio system, with an UltraRendu as a render and to my ear, low power in a PC is not as important as the quality of components in the PC. With a bigger PC one can more easily use quality parts like a JCAT NET card which also can be powered from a separate PSU.

It isn't low power as much as clean power, meaning as little noise as possible.  Low power helps achieve that.  I think clean power could have a bigger impact than many components.

41 minutes ago, Summit said:

Food for thoughts. Is let say a small Paul Hynes LPS better than a much more powerful Paul Hynes LPS?   

This is a good question.  I don't know what challenges there are in building a higher power PSU.  This would be a good question for @Superdad

42 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

$7,750 to $17,200,  according to this site.  http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php/2017/10/17/rocky-mountain-audio-fest-2017-big-systems-impressed-part-2/

gulp, and it doesn't even have an sCLK-EX.  No way to gauge the comparison above.  Most, if using a renderer here moved on to the sms-200Ultra, so we don't even have a direct comparison with an UltraRendu.  Roy made a lot of comparisons with high priced servers on the market.  None beat the sCLK EX at the time.

So just like that other server, the SGM 2015 which is $18,800 plus tax.  We know we can build a similar, if not better one for about $4k or less.

7 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I can make a billy cart for the kids and it can make travel across a road possible. I don't think you realise how many man-hours went into the development of the SGM server. Once the solution is there, it's easy to copy huh.

I think that's great for anyone who wants to buy an SGM server.  My hat goes off to SGM for spending the time on it and I truly hope they find it was a worth while investment.  I suspect you mention man-hours because you know the COGS isn't even close to the retail price.  This isn't pharmacy.  Many people in this forum, in DIYAudio or other hangouts from this hobby are building their own because $18k is out of reach.  I'm not questioning the value because I've never heard an SGM server, but I suspect when put head to head with some of what we built, our time will have been well spent.  I also don't think everyone has copied SGM.  I hadn't even heard of them until the other day, but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, marce said:

All the interfaces, especially memory have maximum defined lengths.

Actually having the components closer together is better for signal integrity and EMC, you are minimising loop areas, which with digital signals is critical due to the wide band of frequencies involved. Being closer you can use a weaker drive strength for the the signal, slower rise times, again limiting the amount of energy in a circuit and thus again reducing noise and other coupling mechanisms (cross-talk). The shorter trace lengths means they are less likely to act as antennas and if they do it will be at a much higher frequency. Power planes will be smaller, again putting any resonances higher up and due to the smaller size again reducing coupling mechanisms (in more critical designs, close coupled power ground planes with special dialectics are often used to increase the power plane to ground capacitance, a critical element of the initial switching current supply of any high speed digital circuit). We go to great lengths on every design to place the digital (and analogue) components in the smallest space possible... Obviously you separate functional circuitry to avoid interference between say the DDR memory and your USB ports, where space dictates the use of shielding cans around circuitry...

That is probably the most technical response I've read yet.  @marce what is your profession?  You said "We go to great lengths..." Who are we?

6 minutes ago, Summit said:

Yes it’s all about clean power, but it’s not the measured output on the PSU that is most important, it’s on the input of the components that are meant to be power that really counts. Hence the importance of less cheap switching voltage regulators.

A well-made ATX PSU, even if it capable to output many hundred watts, does not do that if you use reasonable low powered hard ware and software and only use it for streaming audio.

1 minute ago, marce said:

12kW @ 230V or 35kV @ 20ma

More focus on the complete power delivery system would yield far better results. With digital its the power available at a devices pins when it switches that,s critical, not whether the front end is a linear or a switched, though either must regulate well and be free of noise and filtered.

So how can we determine when a motherboard or an external component has a high quality power delivery system?

1 minute ago, Summit said:

By knowing the pros and cons of all component used or just listen while changing one component at the time, so called trial and error.  

Trial and error is unrealistic.  The shear number of motherboards and components available, not to mention how quickly they product cycle makes it a near impossible task.

There must be specs and known information on build quality, component part quality and design that enable us to differentiate.  This is done with tubes.  It's also done to an extent with capacitors.  V caps and Mundorf come to mind.  

20 minutes ago, marce said:

At the design, simulation (if done) and testing phases of the design cycle. All I can say is look at the price of some motherboards... even allowing for volume production costs there has to be some compromise, a generic PC only has to work as a generic PC, warcraft, a bit of browsing it does its job... a laptop, the only function of a lap top is to allow you to work on trains, anyone who uses them as a main system is... Look at 3Ms EMC foam etc catalogue, its all about reducing laptop noise...Even I have heard a difference using headphones between my laptop and my main system (i7 loads of ram, loads of disk space).

My own view would be a compact system, one box, but more similar to enlarged mobile phone design/satellite electronics design, minimal distance between the sections, but each section isolated to the highest degree for both conducted noise and radiated noise, The best choice of PCB would be an impedance controlled flexi ridig design, so you have total control of a signals propagation from transmitter to receiver and the added advantage of no added connectors and the parasitic interference they can add. Not a popular idea as it does limit the after sales market, a little. :D

I'm eating this up marce.  I love learning about this topic from a factual point of view.  You're confirming some of what we've speculated, that a smaller board, reducing the distance between sections is preferred.  It's also good to hear you mention EMC reduction as I've clearly heard a difference when using 3M EMC material.

I don't expect we'll see a motherboard designed and built for audio purposes hit the mainstream market.  If anything manufacturers of audio equipment are going to be doing this, and some are with DACs or companies like Aurender with their music servers.  Sound Galleries, as mentioned previously has customized an aftermarket motherboard with higher quality parts (Mundorf caps and an OCXO system clock), but it's not a fully customized board. @One and a half correct me if I'm wrong.  Many of us just can't afford that kind of expense for a server.  We've been finding boards through trial and error, word of mouth and theory.  Then customizing them through SOtM with better resistors, caps and clocks and using better power supplies.  The same thing Sound Galleries did.  One thing I haven't seen discussed is how to improve power delivery on a motherboard beyond what I just mentioned.

I've tried many motherboard manufacturers over the years.  Most are designed for gamers to tweak for high performance without concern for noise impacting digital sound.  The direction I've leaned to is industrial motherboards as they're typically designed to last in challenging environments and built for businesses with reliability in mind.  To me that equals higher quality components.  Motherboards such as the mini ITX form factor are smaller, reducing distance and simpler so better isolation, akin to a laptop board.

I'm always looking for something better, and to know if the path I'm heading down is a good one.  This is why I appreciate your kind of input as it offers direction from a factual pov.  Cheers.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:12 PM, lmitche said:

LOL, Johnseye, you remind me of the dude in this ad.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wk55/homeadvisor-mailboxes

:D

...and another.

On 11/1/2017 at 12:42 PM, lmitche said:

Oh boy, I guess we are having reading comprehension issues today, LOL!

I'm crying inside. ;)

50 minutes ago, lmitche said:

"Means nothing" not exactly the type of reply that is going to make friends and influence people.  Time to pull your head out of your rear.

Speaking of replies that aren't going to make friends and influence people...what do they say about throwing stones?

6 hours ago, marce said:

The latter part of this video shows the effects on clock signals of return paths...

This is helpful in understanding the importance of short leads and short runs on a board.  Evidence of why a smaller board would be better.  I can see its implications when using the sCLK-EX.  As it's an external board we're using leads between our mobo, switch, tx-USBultra, tx-USBexp, etc and the sCLK.  This video shows the impact those leads can have on the signal, and our SQ.  Evidence as to why we've been discussing using the shortest leads as possible.

As I'm getting my devices modified with the sCLK-EX this has me thinking whether I want to use the straight sCLK-EX board inside my PC case so it can be closest to the motherboard and tx-USBexp PCI card.  It will have a longer run to the switch if I do it that way which is less important.  I'm now wondering if I use a tx-USBultra for the sCLK, I can somehow install that inside my PC case so the runs can be shorter.  The Streacom case is small so I don't think this can be done unless I remove it from the tx-USBultra case.  I will ask SOtM if this can be done.  The bottom line question is how close can I keep the tx-USBultra to the PC, minimizing the lead lengths.

Another thought came to me from this video.  @JohnSwenson has been writing about grounding the negative of the SMPS DC barrel.  I suspect the length of the ground wire used in doing this has an impact.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm a dreamer, not a streamer so only check this lengthy thread sporadically, but confirmation bias is a problem for "people who trust their ears" to the extent they don't control for confirmation bias.

I am fine with "people who are willing to share their listening impressions" without any controls, and have asked several people do so on various pieces of equipment.  But it is a type of information that has to be accorded less weight than a valid listening test, with controls and statistical tests.

** NOTE: None of the above requires instruments to quantify any aspect of the sound.  Nor is a mechainsitic theory required ot explain anything either. 

Ralf, this has been discussed extensively in this thread already.  The general consensus is that those who are A-B testing are doing what they can to remove bias.  Not to the extent of a DBT in every situation but as close as possible to remove bias.  I don't think anyone here wants to fool themselves, or others.  You have to take someone's listening results with a grain of salt though, because you never know what variables were accounted for.

That said, I think this thread has been accepted as sharing listening impressions, take it for what it is and don't expect anything more.  With that in mind, use what you read with discretion.

30 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx, I am fairly discrete

but am happy to use integrated designs when appropriate.

Sounds like you read my post from another thread.  I agree.  Integrated designs make sense where appropriate.  It really comes down to how the manufacturer wants to design their product.  Something's got to give because of size constraints.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:34 PM, austinpop said:

Clock Distribution and Termination

I wanted to update this thread with some information I have gleaned from recent discussions with Kenji Hasegawa-san of Cybershaft, May from SOtM, as well as @zephyr24069, who has provided me very valuable advice with regards to clocks.

Important Considerations with Clock Distribution

With all the interest in the SOtM sCLK-EX and master reference clocks, it's important not to lost sight of the basic tenets of clock distribution. At the frequencies of interest here, in the 10-54 MHz range, a clock cable acts as a transmission line. Transmission lines are defined by their characteristic impedance. For the SOtM, Mutec, and Cybershaft being discussed here, they are designed to use cables with 50 or 75 ohm characteristic impedance. It is also necessary for clock cables to be terminated at both ends, with the correct impedance (50 or 75 ohm). Proper termination is necessary to minimize reflections, which occurs on the transmission line if there is an impedance mismatch.

Point to Point

We have almost exclusively been discussing point to point clock connections in this thread. Examples of this are:

1. Cybershaft clock <-> tX-USBultra master clock input via 50 ohm BNC
  2. Mutec Ref 10 <-> Mutec MC-3+ USB via 75 ohm BNC
  3. sCLK-EX clock point <-> modded component (switch, router, sMS-200, etc) via 50 ohm SMB

In all these cases, it's important to know that the source and target connections are internally terminated. In scenario 1, for example, the Cybershaft output is terminated with a 50 ohm impedance, as is the master clock input of the tX-USBultra. I have confirmed this with both Cybershaft and SOtM. The Mutec Ref 10 uses an internal distribution amp to provide 8 independent clock outputs, but each of these is internally terminated, and expects a properly terminated target as well.

In case you are wondering, SOtM handles the termination internally when you send them components to mod. For each sCLK-EX clock point, both the source and the target are appropriately terminated.

But what about the case, where you're a cheapskate like me, who doesn't want to spring for multi-output clocks like the Ref 10 or the upcoming SOtM sMS-OCX10? Can I use a single high-quality clock like the OP-14 and drive multiple outputs?

This is where things get interesting.

Daisy Chaining

Yes, you can daisy chain, but you have to consider the entire length of the cable across the chain as a single transmission line, and you must have termination on each end equal to the characteristic impedance of the cable. For this to work, you have to have devices whose inputs can be selectively configured to be terminated (i.e. have an input impedance of 50 or 75 ohms as needed), or unterminated, in which case the input impedance of the input is very high. In the quote from Kenji below, he calls this "Hi-Z."

Regarding distribution of clock T plugs, it is possible under certain conditions.

For example, in the case of a daisy chain

Clock output(50ohm) ------T--------T--------T-(50ohm)Terminator

(Hi-z)   (Hi-z)    (Hiz)

Device1   Device2   Device3

Clock output(50ohm) ------T--------T- non

(Hi-z)   (50ohm) 

Device1   Device2 

( Hi-z = High impedance) 

Be sure to have one 50 ohm impedance at the end and the other relay point must be Hi-z.

Therefore, T plug can be used only when the clock input can be set to Hi-z.

For reference, I attach a connection diagram of CH presision CH and D1. Please be aware that each relay point is Hi-z.

If, for example, there are 50 ohm points in two places, the impedance will be 25 ohm, the current will overload and destroy the output circuit of clock due to long-term use.

SOtM tX - USBultra can not set the input impedance to Hi - z. So SOtM tX - USBultra does not use T plug in the situation.

Also, due to the use of T plugs, noises of each device can interfere and clocks that can be transmitted can not be transmitted. I do not recommend using T plug.

The best way to distribute the clock is to use an ultralow noise distribution amplifier.

However, I could not find a low-cost ultra low noise distribution amplifier of less than $ 1000 from the world market.

We are developing to sell low-cost distributors by next spring.

Pay particular note to his point about overloading the output circuit of the clock due to it "seeing" a lower impedance than designed. The second consequence of not paying careful attention to termination is that impedance mismatches cause reflections, that degrade the signal integrity of the clock, which negates the whole point in the first place.

The other point to note is that he discourages the use of daisy chaining, and promotes the use of an ultra low noise distribution amplifier. I got the same feedback from May and I believe (although I'd have to check) Mutec also discourages daisy chaining. With the Ref 10, it's self evident due to the provision of 8 clock outputs!

So what does this all mean

1. Don't daisy chain, if at all possible. Even without the other complications, daisy chains necessitate longer cable lengths, which degrades clock quality
  2. If you must, design your chain to ensure that all devices in the chain can be configured to be unterminated, and that there is proper termination of the right impedance on both ends, using tees and terminators.
  3. At least for the SOtM Ultra components, SOtM does not currently provide a way to switch between terminated and unterminated. I'm pretty sure that upon request, they can configure a device whichever way you want it.

For me, this means that if I get to the point where I have more than one component with a master clock input that I want to drive, I'll want to spring for a Ref 10 or OCX-10. Ouch!

I don't think this was mentioned in your post, but I just confirmed with May that only 1 connection to a master clock for all taps on a single sCLK-EX board is required.  I'm opting for the 50 ohm connector for the board I'm using for my mods.  I'm hoping it gives me more versatility, although it will eliminate the Ref 10 as an option for me.  The new SOtM master clocks can have either impedance.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

John,

please post any ferrite clamps you find. Roy mentioned somewhere he sourced a bunch inexpensively from Digikey.

Their website is a joy to navigate. 9_9 

I'm still learning about how impedance and frequency relate to the cores.  Besides that there's the diameter that needs to be considered.

Cat6a is a 500Mhz cable.  Bluejeans cat6a has a 7.3mm diameter.  USB 2 is 200MHz and the bandwidth is 1GHz.  The Lush has a 14mm diameter.  It's hard to find a cable at that has the right diameter and frequency.

I'm going to try these because they range from 100-500MHz at 100 ohm.

https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=243445819&uq=636458279157585775

And this for the Lush

https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=243199166&uq=636458279157575775

Not sure about my power, speaker or interconnects yet.

3 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@Johnseye  You may want to check out this link: https://www.murata.com/en-us/products/emc/ferrite/basic/selection

Summary

Following these points will enable you to select the optimum ferrite core.

Shape
Select the core with the smallest possible inner diameter (this is the most important point).
Make sure the length exceeds the outer diameter.
For effective results, the priority order is (1) inner diameter, (2) length, and (3) outer diameter.

Number of turns of wire
Basically, the effect is proportional to the square of the number of turns of wire.
For frequencies above 300 MHz, do not wind more than 3 turns of wire.

Materials
If you use Murata products, the materials make no difference at higher frequencies (above 30MHz).

Each snap on ferrite core is equal to 1 wire turn.  I selected the smallest possible inner diameter that should fit the cable based on the cable's outer diameter.

28 minutes ago, Speedskater said:
Jim Brown is the go-to EMI/RFI expert, especially about ferrite chokes:

"RFI, Ferrites, and Common Mode Chokes For Hams" (skip over the Ham sections)
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

"Understanding How Ferrites Can Prevent and Eliminate RF Interference to Audio Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

"New Understandings of the Use of Ferrites in the Prevention and Suppression of RF Interference to Audio Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AES...itesASGWeb.pdf

Yup, I found a post from you about 5 years ago and shared the last pdf you linked in an earlier post.  Thanks for  the help with this.

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Just ordered a set of these. The rest of the family leaves town next week and I was planning on dressing the cables anyway so thought I’d give these a try. Will report back.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLVUQ38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem with these is there's no frequency or impedance rating.  Any reason why you chose those over others at Amazon?

8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi John,

Very interesting , i am going a similar path but with a different mobo board the super micro X10SBA  which is also a good board for audio and easier to source in Europe than the jetway.

I am currently testing the tx-USB ultra in my system. Very smart your idea to buy this and move the sCLK-ex board to the mobo. 

How do you will power the sCLK-EX board , txUSB hub .

I am going also the same way with the os ssd with used intel X25-SE .

However i have read in jplay forum that there is a much preferred solution than ssd. 

It is to go with cf cards . To implement this you need an inexpensive cf to sata adapter , run your sata in ide mod and use industrial slc cf cards which are bootable. 

I will be trying that also in a few weeks. 

I'm about to write a post that will share what I've learned about splitting off the sCLK-ex from the tx-USBultra as well as other things I've learned as my hardware's been with SOtM.  It will be up shortly.

Regarding the CF card.  Here's what Roy had to say about that.  "compact flash boot drives are only possible with motherboards that incorporate a BIOS that allows for the older PATA drives and unfortunately, none of the SoC motherboards I wanted to use allow for this legacy option."