Jump to content
austinpop

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, hopkins said:

 

No. The Pi runs a "player" software (squeezelite, MPD, RoonBridge - you name it).

So this is an alternative to a HifiBerry Digi+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, greenleo said:

But Toslink is limited to 192kHz, is it?

 

Yes, but unless you have a large DXD collection, for some people, this may be an acceptable limitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lmitche said:

Happy to confirm that the m2 ngff route for the hard disk Sata port sounds best.  I moved the Adnaco fiber card to PCIE slot 1 and the network card to PCIE slot 2, so everything has an unshared connection to the CPU.

 

The SQ is beautiful.

 

 

Good to know, Larry.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2017 at 10:34 PM, lmitche said:

I found the power supply upgrade notes from last year:

 

"FWIW, I have replaced the 400 watt fanless Seasonic ATX power supply with a 1600 watt EVGA ATX power supply priced at $400. This is total overkill, but the ripple specs are less than 15 uv and there is an audible increase in SQ. It comes with a 12 gauge power cord and very heavy ATX, CPU, and SSD cabling. The difference in SQ was immediate with a lower noise floor, more detail and better PRAT. Hifial bought the same power supply on my recommendation."

Sorry was on vacation in Rome and missed most of the discussion here :)

So is it still valuable to buy 1600 watt EVGA ATX, considering a fantastic results of Seasonic Prime titanium 750/850 watt?

Edited by Cooler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cooler said:

Sorry was on vacation in Rome and missed most of the discussion here :)

So is it still valuable to buy 1600 watt EVGA ATX, considering a fantastic results of Seasonic Prime titanium 750/850 watt?

To my knowledge no one has done an a to b comparison of the EVGA vs. the Seasonic.  Nevertheless I know people with one or the other that are very happy with their choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lmitche said:

To my knowledge no one has done an a to b comparison of the EVGA vs. the Seasonic.  Nevertheless I know people with one or the other that are very happy with their choice.

As i understood from EVGA review, one of it benefits of it are cables (motherboard and AC). I think would be great to buy cables with the same quality for motherboard + good AC cable:

DSC_6774.jpg

 

DSC_6773.jpg

 

With AC cable its easier, there are a lot of them on the market, but motherboard cable, can you guys suggest some audiophile one or just with great quality?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cooler said:

As i understood from EVGA review, one of it benefits of it are cables (motherboard and AC). I think would be great to buy cables with the same quality for motherboard + good AC cable:

DSC_6774.jpg

 

DSC_6773.jpg

 

With AC cable its easier, there are a lot of them on the market, but motherboard cable, can you guys suggest some audiophile one or just with great quality?!

Cooler, you are right of course.  There is a lot of value in the build quality of the cables included with the evga.  I don't know of another source for a ATX motherboard cable that is anything near the same quality. 

 

I'm using the included AC cable and have no plans to replace it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2017 at 11:12 PM, greenleo said:

Thank you for your post.  Certainly one more way?

 

For the network bridge introduced Cutter(if my memory serves me right), no setting of the WiFi adapter is needed and no fiddling with the metric is needed in W10.  No knowledge of ToL in TCPIP is needed.  You may try☺

 

Thanks. I'm a little confused by the different connection methods suggested across what is now a very long thread.

 

Which is currently the best method to make a direct Ethernet connection between a Windows 10 Pro sonicTransporter PC and a microRendu? Thanks again!

Edited by Haninger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

The  SATA SAGA continues!  

 

Thanks to Alex Crespi, I learned of a thread in usaudiomart where others have tested a large number of very cheap <$2 SATA cables and claim increased SQ with several brands.  I have ordered what appears to be the top three models, and they will dripple in over the next few weeks.Given the terrific results of the earlier SATA experiments I would not be surprised that there is more SQ to be gained here.

 

If you are interested I can post test results here.  

 

Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haninger said:

 

Thanks. I'm a little confused by the different connection methods suggested across what is now a very long thread.

 

Which is currently the best method to make a direct Ethernet connection between a Windows 10 Pro sonicTransporter PC and a microRendu? Thanks again!

If your PC has two NICs(which is a must for the direct connection) and a free USB port and an USB WiFi adapter(this cost money), then using two two NICs + WiFi adapter to setup the network bridge is the easiest way.  It can be done literally in a couple of minutes.  The WiFi adapter is a dummy that does nothing.

 

There could be physical limitations or personal preference that using the WiFi adapter is not desirable.  Then setting up an dhcp server with two NICs to enable direct connection is possible.  I believe Peter_T mentioned that in the thread.  It will take you some time to figure it out.  As you my have realised, there are different dhcp server software and different settings to be set as required by the corresponding software, the experience could be frustrating as seen from some of the posts in this thread.

 

It so happens that I have an idle WiFi adapter.  Hence I use the network bridge method.  I have extended the method to make it work in the Win Server 2016 GUI mode as well.

 

In terms of SQ, either method, network bridge or dhcp server, sounds similar because in both of the cases, only the NIC connected to mR needs to work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi All,

 

The  SATA SAGA continues!  

 

Thanks to Alex Crespi, I learned of a thread in usaudiomart where others have tested a large number of very cheap <$2 SATA cables and claim increased SQ with several brands.  I have ordered what appears to be the top three models, and they will dripple in over the next few weeks.Given the terrific results of the earlier SATA experiments I would not be surprised that there is more SQ to be gained here.

 

If you are interested I can post test results here.  

 

Larry

Please do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, greenleo said:

If your PC has two NICs(which is a must for the direct connection) and a free USB port and an USB WiFi adapter(this cost money), then using two two NICs + WiFi adapter to setup the network bridge is the easiest way.  It can be done literally in a couple of minutes.  The WiFi adapter is a dummy that does nothing.

 

There could be physical limitations or personal preference that using the WiFi adapter is not desirable.  Then setting up an dhcp server with two NICs to enable direct connection is possible.  I believe Peter_T mentioned that in the thread.  It will take you some time to figure it out.  As you my have realised, there are different dhcp server software and different settings to be set as required by the corresponding software, the experience could be frustrating as seen from some of the posts in this thread.

 

It so happens that I have an idle WiFi adapter.  Hence I use the network bridge method.  I have extended the method to make it work in the Win Server 2016 GUI mode as well.

 

In terms of SQ, either method, network bridge or dhcp server, sounds similar because in both of the cases, only the NIC connected to mR needs to work.

 

 

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cooler said:

As i understood from EVGA review, one of it benefits of it are cables (motherboard and AC). I think would be great to buy cables with the same quality for motherboard + good AC cable:

DSC_6774.jpg

 

DSC_6773.jpg

 

With AC cable its easier, there are a lot of them on the market, but motherboard cable, can you guys suggest some audiophile one or just with great quality?!

 

 

Chan (owner of Pachanko Cables) can make you audiophile grade motherboard cables upon request.  He's well regarded here on CA and has a strong following:

 

https://www.pachankostudio.com/

SOtM can make you motherboard cables as well upon request using UP-OCC grade copper or silver (solid core or stranded).

 

Audiophile-grade AC cables are more easily found.  For an ATX PSU, the low gauge chords are probably best because they have the least amount of line resistance.  I'm guessing the thick 20A chord used by the EVGA 1.6KW PSU is one of the reasons this PSU might sound especially dynamic.  This is where a dedicated 20A line really comes in handy, not for noise isolation but for lower line resistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Hi All,

 

The  SATA SAGA continues!  

 

Thanks to Alex Crespi, I learned of a thread in usaudiomart where others have tested a large number of very cheap <$2 SATA cables and claim increased SQ with several brands.  I have ordered what appears to be the top three models, and they will dripple in over the next few weeks.Given the terrific results of the earlier SATA experiments I would not be surprised that there is more SQ to be gained here.

 

If you are interested I can post test results here.  

 

Larry

 

 

Yes, Larry.  Please do!

 

I am very happy with the Pachanko SATA cables I have but one thing I am interested in is whether an inexpensive SATA cable with 4 ground wires sounds better than 3 ground wires.  The SATA data connector spec calls for 3 ground wires (pins 1, 4, and 7) and yet some SATA data cables contain 4.  I happened to take apart one of the SATA cables that came with my motherboard and noticed it contains 4 ground wires and so I plan to use this certain cable as a grounding cable but I wonder if this might be a reason why certain cables sound better.  The biggest difference maker, I believe, however, will be how good the shielding and the connectors are.  Anyway, this might interest you:

 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-Is-there-a-difference-97/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict, like USB, the cleaner your power, the less likely the cables make any bit of difference, other than proper impedance and as short as possible.  Otherwise all your doing is coloring electrical noise with various cable constructs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, romaz said:

 

Yes, Larry.  Please do!

 

I am very happy with the Pachanko SATA cables I have but one thing I am interested in is whether an inexpensive SATA cable with 4 ground wires sounds better than 3 ground wires.  The SATA data connector spec calls for 3 ground wires (pins 1, 4, and 7) and yet some SATA data cables contain 4.  I happened to take apart one of the SATA cables that came with my motherboard and noticed it contains 4 ground wires and so I plan to use this certain cable as a grounding cable but I wonder if this might be a reason why certain cables sound better.  The biggest difference maker, I believe, however, will be how good the shielding and the connectors are.  Anyway, this might interest you:

 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-Is-there-a-difference-97/

Hi Roy,

 

I guess your SATA cables are connected to both of the OS and the file disks, right?

 

Have you ever try to use RAM disk as the file disk and an ordinary/Pachanko SATA cable to the original file disk for comparison?  I suspect that the SQ would be same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Hi Roy,

 

I guess your SATA cables are connected to both of the OS and the file disks, right?

 

Have you ever try to use RAM disk as the file disk and an ordinary/Pachanko SATA cable to the original file disk for comparison?  I suspect that the SQ would be same.

 

 

Yes, I have 2 Pachanko SATA cables and I use them for both OS and file disks.

 

I have used RAM disks in the past but I have never directly compared them against my Pachanko SATA cables.  At this point, I have no plans to go back to a RAM disk.  Here is my response to your question from just a few days ago:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, romaz said:

 

Yes, I have 2 Pachanko SATA cables and I use them for both OS and file disks.

 

I have used RAM disks in the past but I have never directly compared them against my Pachanko SATA cables.  At this point, I have no plans to go back to a RAM disk.  Here is my response to your question from just a few days ago:

 

 

Thank you Roy for your reply.

 

I'm not concerning the SQ of RAM disk vs SSD,....

 

I concerns the function of the SATA cable and the size of relevance.  I view the functions of a better SATA cable provides better signal and prevents other EMI enters the system.

 

If the file disk is working, then these two effects are working together and it is hard to estimate how large the individual effects is.  Using a RAM disk to play back, the file disk should be idle.  Then function of providing better signal is gone.  By using an ordinary SATA cable connected to the file disk as a control, and compare it with using a Pachanko SATA cable, the rejection of EMI back to the system by the Pachanko cable may be estimated.  Then how to build a better CAS may be formulated.

 

Thanks again for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Peter_T said:

Recently CAT asked on the Jplay forum about an audiophile ethernet card. Marcin (Jplay/Jcat) answered that they will start to sell an ethernet card (2 ports) with femto-clock in May.

Thanks for sharing,  but i still do feel it makes sense to spend $1k on mR/sotm + LPS-1 and then spend 2-3 times more to build true audiophile PC :)

 

I decided to stick to good PC parts (like titanium PSU, intel ethernet cards, good cables), but not spend $400 for each part of PC and at the end have $5k PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×