IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Curious about which server option you would choose & why @ $1500 price point?

1. Modified Mac Mini (modded) + JS2 power supply

2. SONICTRANSPORTER I7 FOR ROON DSP

Both support bridged connection but which would produce the best results?

BTW, I have no interest in building a server so that's not an option

22 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The sonicTransporters are designed primarily for streaming so you would not need at JS-2 level power supply with it. comparing for local playback in not really proper. They can play music locally and you can discuss options for that with Andrew at SGC. 

I guess it comes down to benefits of faster i7 processing (for Roon DSP upsampling) vs better power supply with Mac Mini. I will be using this with my Chord DAVE and eventually BlueDAVE, so not sure the processing side matters because any upsampling will be handled with my Chord equipment. As such, I am thinking that the mac mini combo is a better choice because better power supplies can make a real difference. Or am I missing something? 

24 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

There is a lot of talk on CA about upsampling, but from customer feedback that I personally receive and obtain through support most people don’t bother with it. The only way to know for sure with your devices is to try it. I would only update the power supply for local playback and not for streaming. 

For local playback I use a Synology NAS, so isn't the server involved in both streaming and local playback? As you can tell, my technical knowledge is limited. Just trying to figure out best option. I will use all of this with an endpoint like the Rendu or sotm...  thx

• 4 weeks later...

I almost have my new trifecta system all together. For those have experimented with different Ethernet cables in different places along the chain, just curious as to how you would rank the following placements in terms of importance (to producing the best end result)? 

(A) From Mac Mini to modded SMS

(B) From Switch to Mac Mini

(C) From NAS to Switch

(D) From Cable Modem to Switch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I am having trouble connecting Synology NAS to Roon using a bridged mini-mac config and full trifecta solution. I can see the NAS in the mini-mac finder and can get to NAS via the web. However, when I try to add it as a folder via "add network share" feature, it says path invalid. Any help would be really appreciated... thx

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Scott, is this the same question you PM'ed me?

I've never run Roon Core on a Mac, but I find it weird that if you can "see" and navigate to your music folder on the NAS in Finder, there is no reason why you should not be able to do so in you Storage settings in Roon.

The only other gotcha for Roon with the sMS is to make sure you've enabled the Roon Ready app in the sMS. You should be able to connect to the sMS by typing http://eunhasu.local (on a Mac) in your browser. Make sure your Roon Ready app is "Active." You should also go through the settings - both the general settings, and the Roon settings.

Yes Rajiv, yes, same question. Very frustrated. The sms200 is active as per the link you reference. I even did that ssh option referenced earlier in the thread but still does not work. Really makes me wish that I did not purchase a modded mini mac, I would have been better served with an audio server with storage 

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Not sure if you’ve resolved this yet as I’m slowly getting caught up on this thread.

Roon makes the connection via SMB, whereas the Finder has a few additional tricks up its sleeve to discover shared folders.

i used an SMB path to access my share from Roon:

smb://10.0.0.83/Media

Note one downside to this is that your NAS needs to retain the IP address, or Roon will think it’s an entirely different folder and rescan.  Be sure to reserve the IP address for you NAS.

Also enable SMB3 on your Synology.  This is in Control Panel...File Sevices....Advanced Settings (for SMB)... Maximum SMB protocol.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the tip. I will give it a try later today

27 minutes ago, afrancois said:

I have a similar experience. I just recently started to learn something about electronics (I'm a software Guy) and I did a measurement of my AC with an oscilloscope, looking for common mode noise. I was shocked by the effect of SMPS's. I've always used LPS's in my audio chain. Yet, I still have some SMPS's on the same line that are not part of my audio chain. So I replaced the SMPS's for the cable modem, another switch just behind this cable modem, wifi router, Synology NAS and Zotac IQ01 PC. The last one is used as RoonServer. I still have to remove some other SMPS's, one used for security cameras and another used for a Logitech infrared extender. I've even put a decent power cord on my Netgear 24 port switch. This one still uses an internal SMPS. Perhaps in the future, I will also try to replace this SMPS. Given the number of SMPS's in your system, this can become somewhat expensive though! And yes, I almost forgot: I'm replacing my ethernet cables with high quality (but not expensive) cables. In the audio chain, this was already the case.

Yeah, once you hear what harm those dastardly SMPS do to your audio system, you want them gone!!! I am lucky that I have 3 dedicated lines into my system to isolate the noise generators to one line. Even my DAVE dac is a noise generator so it is on a line by itself. The remaining dedicated line only has LPS 1.2's and JS-2 on it. I'm still in shock over the difference i heard by upgrading power source or modem / router

10 hours ago, austinpop said:
PSU Update
Of late, I've had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to PSUs, so it has been educational to compare and contrast them in my system. The 2 latest ones I've had in-house have been the SOtM sPS-500 with a Ghent DC31 starquad cable, kindly loaned to me by @atxkyle, as well as an Uptone JS-2, with the supplied 1.5m Belden cable, which is also a loaner from @Superdad.

As shouldn't be particularly surprising, PSU impact varies by component. In my system, I tested 2 locations - the SOtM-modded switch, and the tX-USBultra. More recently, I have a new location to test - the DAC - as I now have in-house a loaner Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I'll talk about the PSUs in the context of each of these locations.

tX-USBultra
This has been the main location I've evaluated PSUs, so I'll start here. Here is my ranking of the PSUs powering the tX-USBultra at 7V.
  1. SR-4 with DC3FSXLR silver cable
  2. JS-2 with stock Belden (starquad?) cable
  3. Tie between LPS-1.2 and sPS-500
    • LPS 1.2 with silver cable - more holographic image, but brighter
    • sPS-500 with Ghent DC31 - slightly smaller image, but smoother tone
  4. LPS-1
Also note - the differences between 1, 2, and 3 were quite small. It took careful listening to tease out these preferences.

SOtM-modded switch
At this location, the difference between PSUs was much smaller. Again, with all PSUs set at 7V:
  1. Tie between SR-4, LPS-1.2, and sPS-500
  2. LPS-1
I didn't try the JS-2 at this location.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+
I'll be writing more about my experience with this DAC in the coming weeks. For the moment, I want to focus on it only in the context of PSUs. While the LPS-1.2 lacked the minimum current needed to drive this DAC, I was able to use the other PSUs. Here is my ranking, with all PSUs set to 12V.
  1. JS-2
  2. SR-4
  3. sPS-500
While the SR-4 had really shone on the tX-USBultra, on the Brooklyn DAC+, it was the JS-2 that pulled ahead, and by quite a margin. Compared to the JS-2, the SR-4 (and the sPS-500) seemed to lack dynamism, and sounded strained, and unexciting. What is important to note is that these PSUs did work with the DAC+.

This result isn't particularly surprising, since the DAC+ (or any DAC really) has an analog output stage, which really benefits from a PSU with vast reserves of current. The JS-2, with its beefier current capacity, was clearly better at delivering current peaks that the other, smaller, supplies couldn't.

Final Thoughts
  1. The JS-2 PSU doesn't get a lot of attention these days, but I was really impressed by its performance.
  2. While the much-vaunted SR-7 may rise above all of these PSUs, there is a caveat to consider. Not all SR-7s are created equal. SR-7 modules are selectable from 3 sizes - S (25W), HD (80W), and EHD (125W). When it comes to powering a DAC like the DAC+, while an S module may technically work, it may take an HD or EHD module to really make it shine. Those of you with SR-7s may want to keep that in mind.

Finally, my experience reminds us that while low output impedance and low ripple noise are valuable qualities in a DC PSU, an equally important attribute is current capacity, which means that  large and heavy transformer cores have their place. While this is perhaps no surprise with analog stages in a DAC/preamp, it was interesting in the context of digital components like the Zenith SE.

(PSU) Size matters!

Thanks for this, results are very interesting. Good learning... 

13 minutes ago, afrancois said:

The SMPS does perhaps not affect the output quality of the LPS-1.2, but it surely does for the components that are not isolated. In my case my DAC and power amp.

Isn't the LPS 1.2 internally shunted to avoid SMPS noise pollution? Or am I missing your point?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Roy brought up the Oppo mod the other day and May replied here that they can do something similar.  I am very tempted to do this to improve my home theater experience so I asked May about it.  The cost is a bit more than from Oppomod which Roy recommended, but it is the sCLK.  They'll also swap out caps.

She also gave me some info on their new switch I thought I would share below.

Replacing sCLK-EX(4 points) with 10MHz Master clock input : USD1050

1.     Main clock

2.     2 Channel output

3.     7.1 Channel output

4.     Bluray driver chipset

KakaoTalk_20171025_163342724.thumb.jpg.0b045f86870e4694fc7089bbb5e4e3a0.jpg

Replacing capacitors :

For a digital board and analog boards(32points) : USD200

For bulk CAPS on the analog board input : USD100

For OPAmp(OPA1642) on Analog 7.1 channel : USD150

Replacing power input board : USD550

image001.thumb.jpg.7962d94b949ca16ab1e6b28f6ca74f47.jpg

The above is the original power board on the digital part and below is the new power board designed by us.

image002.thumb.jpg.7fbedbd5061909b6064327be3fdc1222.jpg

The new SOtM switch

sNH-10G_A.thumb.JPG.0a2293616d8da97a297ee74b12189b36.JPG

sNH-10G_B.thumb.JPG.889d65b8709e889fa54b0b2600bde3b9.JPG

Wonder how PS upgrade and clock parts/ implementation compare to oppmod's? SoTM's is about double the price...

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Ben2300 said:

Thx @spotforscott I just checked, they didn’t mention anything about modded Oppo on their site, I had a 105 was always thinking about improving the clock and LPS, but just couldn’t find one in the USA that can do it with clock other than oppomod version. Email sent let see what happen.

Yeah, I know. I approached them about the Oppo. They said that they have done many Oppo mods and immediately gave me pricing on all of the upgrade options.

I think they are just trying to keep their site focussed on their main business.

Something to keep in mind is what you want to use the Oppo for. For me, I want it for DVD/ Bluray concerts and as a Roon endpoint. The 105 can't operate as a Roon endpoint, only the 203 or 205 can.