IGNORED

Roon 1.3 and Upsampling

BTW - recommend everyone follow the posted instructions and BACKUP your database first.

And @sixman:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32995[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that. I might get to use my filters generated in Acourate then.

It looks like it only accepts a single stereo filter and not separate filters for each channel?

I can get upsampling 44.1 PCM to 385k PCM but don't see any way to convert 44.1 PCM to DSD128. I'm using Roon --> Microrendu --> Lampi DAC chain. In the DSP settings for the rendu, I can select "Custom" in Sample Rate Conversion and then Linear Phase or Minimum Phase. Below that I see several (input?) PCM and DSD rates to selectable (output?) PCM rates. The output rates don't show me any DSD choices. I'm likely missing something. Can anyone help?

Yes you can configure it to convert from PCM to DSD, though not sure what you mean by, "on the fly"?
I can get upsampling 44.1 PCM to 385k PCM but don't see any way to convert 44.1 PCM to DSD128. I'm using Roon --> Microrendu --> Lampi DAC chain. In the DSP settings for the rendu, I can select "Custom" in Sample Rate Conversion and then Linear Phase or Minimum Phase. Below that I see several (input?) PCM and DSD rates to selectable (output?) PCM rates. The output rates don't show me any DSD choices. I'm likely missing something. Can anyone help?

If your dac can do it, see my post above. No problem.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/roon-1-3-and-upsampling-31108/#post631453

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I did see your post above. My DAC can do it - I use it every day with HQPlayer and MR. I think the issue is that the MR does not support Native DSD on the Lampi Amanero board; it supports DoP which is why I don't see a "DSD" option under Sample Rate.

Jason, where in your post above (screenshots) does it show DSD as the target output? Yours says "custom". I may be wrong but the only DSD the screenshot shows is the forementioned DSD-to-X and that's not an issue. BTW, yes comedus06, on mine DSD is indeed a pulldown option under Sample Rate Conversion.

Jason, where in your post above (screenshots) does it show DSD as the target output? Yours says "custom". I may be wrong but the only DSD the screenshot shows is the forementioned DSD-to-X and that's not an issue. BTW, yes comedus06, on mine DSD is indeed a pulldown option under Sample Rate Conversion.

I didn't select it for that screenshot but it's there.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Are you using MR as the Roon Endpoint and does your DAC support Native DSD on Linux? I ask because I don't get DSD an a pull down option at all. I just see Custom, For Compatibility Only, Max PCM Rate and Max PCM Rate (Power of 2).

Are you using MR as the Roon Endpoint and does your DAC support Native DSD on Linux? I ask because I don't get DSD an a pull down option at all. I just see Custom, For Compatibility Only, Max PCM Rate and Max PCM Rate (Power of 2).

I'm using HQPlayer as my engine, with Roon/HQP integration, then out to the microRendu as HQPlayer NAA, to my Holo Spring dac (Linux friendly). I seldom use Roon, frankly, but wanted to see what the hoopla was about in 1.3.

I'm using HQPlayer as my engine, with Roon/HQP integration, then out to the microRendu as HQPlayer NAA, to my Holo Spring dac (Linux friendly). I seldom use Roon, frankly, but wanted to see what the hoopla was about in 1.3.

If Orange is the New Black then Roon is the shizzzz. Roon 1.3 makes everything else look like child's play. Probably the best audio GUI I've ever seen/used. The company is pretty freakin' incredible. The best part is the DSP Engine is only getting better according to their writing.

DSP Engine is NEW in Roon 1.3

We are very excited to take Roon in a new direction with the release of the DSP Engine. DSP Enhancements have been a top feature request since before we launched, and this project has been one of the longest-running in the history of the company. Nonetheless, it's still early days, and we look forward to growing and improving in this area in the future.

Though these features have undergone over two months and thousands of hours of alpha testing, we fully expect to work out some kinks and make improvements as our full user base begins integrating DSP features into their daily lives.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine

Same chain here except Lampi with the damn Amanero instead of the Holo DAC. I wanted to check the upsampling in Roon 1.3 so I set MR as RoonReady endpoint and tried to setup the DSP Engine to do PCM-->DSD but I don't get DSD as an option at all - I think (a guess) this has to do with the MR-->Amanero requiring DoP.

Now, I've got a bigger issue, my Roon (DSP Engine disabled)-->HQP-->MR-->Lampi chain is messed up and I can't get HQPlayer to see any content coming from Roon 1.3. Normally, when Roon outputs to the HQP Zone, one row in the lower window in HQP turns grey, now I just get blank, no sound and the Roon song progress is stuck at 0:00.

I'm having issues with Roon's DSD upsampling. I have Roon on my office computer, and do use it for work when listening, so my issues may not apply to dedicated servers...

When upsampling to DSD128 (for some reason Roon says my DAC can only do 128, while HQP sees it as 256 capable, which is what the manufacturer says <Mytek Brooklyn>)) pretty much any activity I do will significantly impact audio; pops, skips, static. Opening any program, web pages, sometimes even just moving the mouse causes audio artifacts. It is not a resource issue, CPU usage is only ~2%. I tried adjusting the buffer, no effect. I do not have any audio issues upsampling to max PCM.

Contrast this with HQP which I use to upsample to dsd256 (poly-sinc-xtr, AMSDM7 512+fs) where there is ~5%cpu usage and ~35% gpu usage, and absolutely zero audio issues. Even if I run some mathematical modeling that significantly stresses both the CPU and the GPU, I still get zero audio impact.

Could very well be something specific to my set up, just throwing it out there.

There was mention that Roon uses only one core per zone to up sample for now on the roon community and their upsample guide. That might be the reason.

I'm having issues with Roon's DSD upsampling. I have Roon on my office computer, and do use it for work when listening, so my issues may not apply to dedicated servers...

When upsampling to DSD128 (for some reason Roon says my DAC can only do 128, while HQP sees it as 256 capable, which is what the manufacturer says <Mytek Brooklyn>)) pretty much any activity I do will significantly impact audio; pops, skips, static. Opening any program, web pages, sometimes even just moving the mouse causes audio artifacts. It is not a resource issue, CPU usage is only ~2%. I tried adjusting the buffer, no effect. I do not have any audio issues upsampling to max PCM.

Contrast this with HQP which I use to upsample to dsd256 (poly-sinc-xtr, AMSDM7 512+fs) where there is ~5%cpu usage and ~35% gpu usage, and absolutely zero audio issues. Even if I run some mathematical modeling that significantly stresses both the CPU and the GPU, I still get zero audio impact.

Could very well be something specific to my set up, just throwing it out there.

My chain is

Roon Core>HQP Upsample to DSD>mR NAA>DAC

have done a bit of comparing to

Roon Core>Roon DSD upsampling>mR RoonReady>DAC

All HW is identical. In both setups I used 7th order and mp filters.

First impression is that HQP upsampling is superior; sort of a cleaner more pure sound.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Now, I've got a bigger issue, my Roon (DSP Engine disabled)-->HQP-->MR-->Lampi chain is messed up and I can't get HQPlayer to see any content coming from Roon 1.3. Normally, when Roon outputs to the HQP Zone, one row in the lower window in HQP turns grey, now I just get blank, no sound and the Roon song progress is stuck at 0:00.

Same here, using HQplayer in Roon stopped working after the update. HQplayer on its own works, Roon to Airplay works, but Roon to HQ doesn't. Hope this will be fixed soon. Or should we change some settings to get it working?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Same here, using HQplayer in Roon stopped working after the update. HQplayer on its own works, Roon to Airplay works, but Roon to HQ doesn't. Hope this will be fixed soon. Or should we change some settings to get it working?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Mine works fine. I wish I could help troubleshoot, but not sure where to start. Is it build 193?

My chain is

Roon Core>HQP Upsample to DSD>mR NAA>DAC

have done a bit of comparing to

Roon Core>Roon DSD upsampling>mR RoonReady>DAC

All HW is identical. In both setups I used 7th order and mp filters.

First impression is that HQP upsampling is superior; sort of a cleaner more pure sound.

Yes, me too. I find converting to DSD256 in Roon (MP filter), then passing to HQP (neutered) to be veiled and a bit smeared. Nothing I'd ever use. And Roon doesn't support 512 either, which is unfortunate, as that is where the magic is in DSD upsampling, IMO.

Yes, me too. I find converting to DSD256 in Roon (MP filter), then passing to HQP (neutered) to be veiled and a bit smeared. Nothing I'd ever use. And Roon doesn't support 512 either, which is unfortunate, as that is where the magic is in DSD upsampling, IMO.

I didn't pass upsampling from Roon to HQP; sent it straight to the mR in RoonReady mode from RoonServer.

With HQP doing the upsampling, it was RoonServer>HQP>mr NAA.

HQP upsampling sounded better than Roon

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)