IGNORED

Roon 1.3 and Upsampling

They've acknowledged this bug and they'll fix it in build 194 sometime later today apparently. In the meantime, if you are using Roon and HQP on the same MacOS machine (this bug is on MacOS only), change the HQP address to a fixed IP of the machine instead of "localhost" - my Roon (noDSP)-->HQP (DSD128)-->MR-->DAC chain worked fine again after that change. HQP upsampling is way better than Roon PCM-->DSD conversion (not even close) to my ears. Processing speed was showing 1.8 to 2.1x in Roon, with HQP doing the upsampling, the processing speed in Roon is showing 1023x-1074x(!).

Same here, using HQplayer in Roon stopped working after the update. HQplayer on its own works, Roon to Airplay works, but Roon to HQ doesn't. Hope this will be fixed soon. Or should we change some settings to get it working?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I really like the Roon DSD upsampling to DSD256 on my T+A DAC DSD. Not smeared etc. to my ears, just a nice crisp, clear sound.

Nice to not have to restart the NAA and HQPlayer every time I have turned the DAC off ..... which is the case when using HQPlayer and the HQPlayer NAA which seems to lose the DAC when the DAC is restarted.... Will probably still use HQPlayer when settling in for a good listening session.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I really like the Roon DSD upsampling to DSD256 on my T+A DAC DSD. Not smeared etc. to my ears, just a nice crisp, clear sound.

Nice to not have to restart the NAA and HQPlayer every time I have turned the DAC off ..... which is the case when using HQPlayer and the HQPlayer NAA which seems to lose the DAC when the DAC is restarted.... Will probably still use HQPlayer when settling in for a good listening session.

To each his own. Your Roon DSD to DSD 256 goes through PCM first, so maybe it's that lossy step that brings with it some smoothing or something else that you find pleasing. For me, I can't do it. The smearing of the soundstage is a deal breaker, PCM or not.

BTW why do you ever turn the dac off??? That is another 24 hours to wait for the clocks to thermally equalize (worst case).

Thanks, indeed I'm using a Macbook with build 193, and HQP is on "localhost". Not sure how I can point it to a fixed IP. Is this the IP of my NAA?

"localhost" means Roon and HQPlayer are running on the same machine - is that the case?

If so, "localhost" = 127.0.0.1 (this is standard, so just plug that in instead of "localhost" - should work).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

To each his own. Your Roon DSD to DSD 256 goes through PCM first, so maybe it's that lossy step that brings with it some smoothing or something else that you find pleasing. For me, I can't do it. The smearing of the soundstage is a deal breaker, PCM or not.

BTW why do you ever turn the dac off??? That is another 24 hours to wait for the clocks to thermally equalize (worst case).

To clarify...

I meant to refer to Roon's PCM to DSD upsampling (not DSD to DSD upsampling). I have some limited DSD recordings, but most are PCM. DSD recordings I pass through unchanged, unless using HQPlayer.

I am not aware of any lossy steps - could well be wrong, will check when I am home, am at work.

I have listened with complex, polyphonic choral music and I hear no smearing of anything, just a lovely soundstage.

So, yes, each to his own.

I turn the DAC off to save power and extend its life (potentially). I find it hard to believe that the clocks would take hours to stabilize. I might check with the engineers at T + A regarding their opinion.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

Sorry, I took this

I really like the Roon DSD upsampling to DSD256 on my T+A DAC DSD.
to mean DSD-to-DSD. That would be where the lossy process is, since it involves two format changes. Your PCM-to-DSD should be fine, and I'm very glad to hear not-smeared. I will try it. Thx

I'd be interested in what the T+A folks say. I am not alone in keeping digital gear "on" 24/7 (clock equilibrium is long time argument) but am open to hearing from the new designers themselves.

Yes, the Roon DSD to DSD upsampling is far from perfect. This intermediate PCM steps are a no go for me. The HQPlayer and maybe SoX algorithms seem to be far better. I hope they fix it in the future.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

OT, but in response, In my experience clocks do take time to re-stablize. Just hop over to the schiit yggy thread to see some comments on that clock, My buddies T+A dac 8 DSD was off for a few days (normally it is on 24/7) and when he turned it back on again he said it sounded awful (He has a very, very hi resolution system) The next day he said it was back to sounding wonderful again. My dac ,a chinese dac, takes almost a full day to sound its best after being off for several hours. In standby mode the T+A only uses .3 watts so you are not saving much power by turning off, and when playing it only uses 15 watts.

To clarify...

I meant to refer to Roon's PCM to DSD upsampling (not DSD to DSD upsampling). I have some limited DSD recordings, but most are PCM. DSD recordings I pass through unchanged, unless using HQPlayer.

I am not aware of any lossy steps - could well be wrong, will check when I am home, am at work.

I have listened with complex, polyphonic choral music and I hear no smearing of anything, just a lovely soundstage.

So, yes, each to his own.

I turn the DAC off to save power and extend its life (potentially). I find it hard to believe that the clocks would take hours to stabilize. I might check with the engineers at T + A regarding their opinion.

Yes, standby mode in these modern dacs is exactly addressing the clock stability issues. Please don't turn off digital gear. It's one reason tubed digital gear dearly needs a tube-power-off standby, as I understand tube life is a concern for many.

Back on topic, I tried some various Roon upsampling modes with PCM and am not going to belabor it. HQP is my upsampler, period.

I tried some various Roon upsampling modes with PCM and am not going to belabor it. HQP is my upsampler, period.

+1

Ted: I have exactly the same experience. Also I'm enjoying the new filters in HQP version 1.15 (maybe Roon's upsampling gave Jussi a competitive urge to up his game) :)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

How long does the update take to install.? Mine's been running about a half hour and all I see is the spinning icon. Can anyone comment?

How large is your music library?

Can you share a screenshot of the spinning icon? Just want to ensure its not because you are on a Mac and have the spinning wheel of death...

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I am doing this on an iPad Pro. A fairly new one

Sent from my SM-G900P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

My library is about 4000 CDs

How large is your music library?

Can you share a screenshot of the spinning icon? Just want to ensure its not because you are on a Mac and have the spinning wheel of death...

How long does the update take to install.? Mine's been running about a half hour and all I see is the spinning icon. Can anyone comment?

Ok it is going to take a while to process everything, if you want to speed things up, go into settings in Roon and see whether you have the settings for Background and Audio analysis set to throttled, or to a different setting. A setting of throttled will take the longest.

Don't know exactly how long it will take, but this pass will take some time.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

OT, but in response, In my experience clocks do take time to re-stablize. Just hop over to the schiit yggy thread to see some comments on that clock, My buddies T+A dac 8 DSD was off for a few days (normally it is on 24/7) and when he turned it back on again he said it sounded awful (He has a very, very hi resolution system) The next day he said it was back to sounding wonderful again. My dac ,a chinese dac, takes almost a full day to sound its best after being off for several hours. In standby mode the T+A only uses .3 watts so you are not saving much power by turning off, and when playing it only uses 15 watts.

You are right about the low power drain in standby mode. Will hook up the power meter to check. :D