IGNORED

Upsampling to anything other than your DAC's internal conversion rate

Actually, I am going to put some more pics I took of my DIY SET Tube Amp that I took yesterday over there. :D

Pics posted!

I still can't get the low-light pics as I would like them though.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I read a lot of positive reports about the Prima Luna gear. It's a Push-Pull?

Yes, it's traditional push-pull with adaptive auto-bias. It is just one of my many amps. But sounds great with the Dynaudio's.

Next I'm planning to order Schiit Valhalla 2 just to try out how it sounds like.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Has Miska been previously proven a nag ? I rode but the conversation.

However, it's you though who are proving him as your hobbyhorse to wet nurse.

Perhaps you aren't sure about why we share what we share in a forum like this?

But more seriously, the continuous nagging of Miska here is uncalled for...

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Get this : we want to look at how you' date=' or another, listen (to examine if what you say you're hearing... can be replicated).

[/font']

So it seems that you are saying that you "know" that, some-many, post they "hear" "soundstage", "tone", " Whatever" but really can not (or to the degree they say) because their equipment and setup/layout could in no way allow them to hear what they say they hear.

So to "prove" it you demand someone post a photo of their system and room.

OK, let me be the first to hit the buzzer to buzz you out. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

NOT AT ALL DEFINITIVE for a variety of reasons. Also been in to many Audiophiles rooms over the years and been surprised at what I heard vs what I saw. In both equipment used and how the room was setup/layout.

Also from the posts I have just casual seen of yours many seem to have an agenda. As I agree with others here that you have tried to hijack this thread I will make this my only post about YOUR topic vs the OP.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

To the OP. I agree with Jud and Miska. And to a degree YashN, wink. got to get me some emoji's.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

CA members want information for their own good, e.g. recent Thread :

Tell us about your desktop system and listening please?

So it seems...

To the OP. I agree with Jud and Miska. And to a degree YashN, wink. got to get me some emoji's.

Needless to define your agenda at me.

«

an accurate picture

Guys: The last two pages of this post are a complete waste of time. Wilhelm: if you want to have an argument with Miska, start your own post, but please do not ruin what was a very helpful set of posts here until you intervened.

NOW, can we get the conversation back to the original discussion???

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

It's a public forum, there are people who understand the flow and importance of what have been in the last two pages.

I'm currently upconverting everything to DSD128 in HQPlayer because that is the highest DSD rate my Oppo BDP105D accepts. To me, it sounds great. But am I fooling myself?

Your setup then, what does your everything entail ? Please detail us specifically some of your music choices, observations thereof.

How's your listening-room since your album ?

16792-side-view-room.jpg

Still for 2 channel wide :

4485-full-view-room.jpg

Kept narrowed in AV mode :

940-tri-center.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Does that pass for humour? Not a lot of HIFI discussion there and a little personal. Nothing better to do?

Looked like ill-advised and mis-directed anger about something to me.

Always funny when you tell them to take the time and go read/study the posts, and they come back with a retort right after.

Like 'sure, you really took the time to read, didn't you.'

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Way to waste that thread.

You sure you're in the right forum?

There are Groups on FB where you can ogle at gear pics all day if that's your fancy.

And don't call me "Surly"

Ign.png

Are we done here?

Wow Wilhelm, what a beautiful listening room! I feel more relaxed just by looking at the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Now on topic - I am upsampling everything to DSD512 using HQplayer on an i7-6700k Windows machine with playback via either the IFI microIDSD or T+A DAC 8 DSD.

The playback results are stunning with any resolution input file or music genre. I can't imagine going back to a "bit perfect" solution.

Has anyone else here tried DSD512?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Agreed, so rather than any further complaints, let's get back on track.

The majority of DACs seem to work pretty nicely with upsampling to max input rate. Miska has mentioned Chord as exceptions. What are other possible exceptions?

- I'd nominate DACs with ASRC (asynchronous sample rate conversion) that take all inputs and convert them to a single PCM sample rate (prior to SDM) as a jitter minimization technique. Benchmark does this, as do many older USB DACs. Any other newer DACs in this category?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Are you following me rather than the Thread ?

#134 sdolezalek, OP, wants the focus back on his situation, acknowledged his signature/invite ?

I am not sure where you are going with all of this Wilhelm, but it is not polite to post pictures of someone else's system, and then ask them to explain it to you.

«

an accurate picture

Where does the PS Audio Directstream DAC fit into all of this? It internally upconverts to 10XDSD, even higher than HQPlayer DSD512. And for whatever it's worth, Stereophile A+ rating. Not bad for $3K-4K on the used market.

Is the consensus that HQ Player upsampling via a powerful PC and played through a DSD512 capable DAC is giving even better results than the Directstream?

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Where does the PS Audio Directstream DAC fit into all of this? It internally upconverts to 10XDSD, even higher than HQPlayer DSD512. And for whatever it's worth, Stereophile A+ rating. Not bad for $3K-4K on the used market.

Is the consensus that HQ Player upsampling via a powerful PC and played through a DSD512 capable DAC is giving even better results than the Directstream?

I'm curious to hear whether anyone has used HQPlayer with the PS Audio Directstream. My guess is that over time, particularly as newer chips become available, more and more manufacturers will transition to high multiple upsampling and the use of gentler filtering methods. The question will be whether software makers, like Miska, will constinue to stay ahead, in part because their product cycles can be measured in weeks, not years.

Separately, as Miska said in one of the prior posts, choice of the best filter might ultimately come down to the nature of the music input and its genre. If that is the case (and I'll avoid the issue of whether filter changes can be made automatic) then you might still get more out of software upsampling because of your ability to fine tune it to your listening tastes and music collection.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

While the DirectStream DAC up-samples all rates (up to double DSD/DSD128) to 10xDSD internally it then down samples to double DSD/DSD128.

When using HQP and a DAC capable of quad DSD/DSD256, such as the exaSound, you can benefit from the up-sampling and keeping it at the up-sampled rate.

Also the processing power that is in a computer using HQP is much higher then what is in a FPGA.

Just MHO and experience with the above.

PS It gets even better with DSD512.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

PS It gets even better with DSD512.

Can't wait to hear it. For now I'm at native DSD256 into a SET Tube Amp and this sounds fantastic.

I thought there would be diminishing returns from 256 to 512 but so far, from the reports I read, people appear to be saying that the leap in SQ is quite obvious.