IGNORED

Next step up of Power Amp

I have a Referenc200.2 S2 B&K Power amp 225w rms. What would be the next step up from that. I have just purchased a few months back a Partasound 2100 Classic Pre amp. I hope this is the correct forum to ask this. I have the old B&K Reference 200.2 preamp for sale on Craigs list. I guess I should have tried this forum for that. I don't have deep pockets.

Your budget will determine your selection. Remember, higher wattage is "usually" better. You can find good used amps at audiogon and usaudiomart websites. And eBay too, actually. What's your target budget and what speakers will the amp be driving?

Here's my stuff:

AudirvanaPlus_2.4

Regen

ifi DAC nano latest driver iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp5.1A.sh

MusicLink Transparent Interface cables

Reference B&K 200.2 S2 Power amp 225W RMS

Parasound 2100 Classic Preamp

Paradigm 100 S series speakers

My budget would be around 900

I don't think you'll beat your current amp at that price point. Others may have some ideas.

I agree. I am curious as to what you are hoping to improve in your current system. Your components seem pretty well balanced from a performance perspective to me.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

I have a Referenc200.2 S2 B&K Power amp 225w rms. What would be the next step up from that. I have just purchased a few months back a Partasound 2100 Classic Pre amp. I hope this is the correct forum to ask this. I have the old B&K Reference 200.2 preamp for sale on Craigs list. I guess I should have tried this forum for that. I don't have deep pockets.

I would look into a used Class D amp. Big bang for the buck.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Why, You already have a really well regarded and designed amp? What is a new amp going to get you that you don't already have?

Thanks for the support, I just thought 225rms was modest in power. It does sound good and my Parasound 2100 Classic preamp sounds better than my B&K I'm trying to sale.

Woohoo! I lived in ABQ for 10 years in the late 80s - late 90s. There were 2 good shops then, one on Menaul but I know the other one shut down. Do you know if the shop in Santa Fe is still open?

Small world. I don't know about the one in Santa Fe. The one on Menual was called Hudsons and sold out to someone else and moved to Montgomery Blvd.

Can you explain Class D? Thanks

Which one of these would be an improvement over my B&K? Thanks

Shop Class-D Amplifiers at Sonic Electronix!

Class D is an amplifier topology that can produce a lot of power at a really high efficiency. I am not qualified to explain them but there is a ton of information online. They run very cool, draw less power per watt and the newer ones can have great sound. They are very common now. I have owned Hypex and Class D Audio amps.

They tend to sound neutral. I like a bit of romance\warmth in my sound and so use tubes and class A amps. Class A amps are very inefficient, putting out a lot of heat and tend to be expensive per watt but have a sound that I like.

You might also want to hook up with a local audiophool group if there is one in your area.

System

I would suggest you get something at home for a listen before laying down any $ looking for a detectable improvement in sound. And have a friend somehow assist you in blind auditions. Expectation bias is too strong a influence to trust your decision based on a sighted listening.

For a manufacturer, personally I'm a Nelson Pass admirer and would look to Pass Labs for a serious investment.

If you don't have deep pockets I'm not sure why your looking to replace your B&K, a well designed and reviewed power amp that will be very hard to surpass without a large expenditure.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Class D is an amplifier topology that can produce a lot of power at a really high efficiency. I am not qualified to explain them but there is a ton of information online. They run very cool, draw less power per watt and the newer ones can have great sound. They are very common now. I have owned Hypex and Class D Audio amps.

They tend to sound neutral. I like a bit of romance\warmth in my sound and so use tubes and class A amps. Class A amps are very inefficient, putting out a lot of heat and tend to be expensive per watt but have a sound that I like.

You might also want to hook up with a local audiophool group if there is one in your area.

Thanks but like I said in an earlier post This is Albuquerque New Mexico, No Audiophile groups and one stereo shop here, use to be two shops but this is a cheap town and one closed down.

Thanks but like I said in an earlier post This is Albuquerque New Mexico, No Audiophile groups and one stereo shop here, use to be two shops but this is a cheap town and one closed down.

Don't feel too bad I live in Washington DC and, counting the entire metropolitan area, can only think of a couple true audiophile shops. Plenty of home theater shops.

To my knowledge none of these shops have any idea about cutting edge computer audio. They mostly sell big name solid state audiophile electronics and speakers. There is one shop that sells vintage tube equipment and focuses on "vintage sound" and Western Electric equipment but they are very hard to deal with. It is a bit like going to a tube hoarders basement and trying to buy something. I went in one day a saw an old 300B amp that I wanted to buy and could not get a price. After speaking with them, calling, and emailing for over a month I gave up. Nice folks but an odd business model. More like a museum.

I end up browsing online for months to decide on good equipment. I also look for posts from people I think are informed and have similar systems and tastes as myself and then make a decision. I usually buy used and that helps. For my digital front end I have been buying new. Computer Audio is changing rapidly while amps, preamps, and speakers not so much.

The good news is that I have sound now that I new even thought was possible from digital. I know it seems odd but I think that digital is just now coming of age...

System

I would suggest you get something at home for a listen before laying down any $ looking for a detectable improvement in sound. And have a friend somehow assist you in blind auditions. Expectation bias is too strong a influence to trust your decision based on a sighted listening.

For a manufacturer, personally I'm a Nelson Pass admirer and would look to Pass Labs for a serious investment.

If you don't have deep pockets I'm not sure why your looking to replace your B&K, a well designed and reviewed power amp that will be very hard to surpass without a large expenditure.

+1 for Pass Labs/First Watt.

System

+1 for Pass Labs/First Watt.

It's wonderful equipment, but even used is far outside the requested budget. And First Watt doesn't really respond to a request from someone who thinks 225 watts RMS may be too little.

I think this is a classic case of recommending to someone else what we'd like for ourselves.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It's wonderful equipment, but even used is far outside the requested budget. And First Watt doesn't really respond to a request from someone who thinks 225 watts RMS may be too little.

I think this is a classic case of recommending to someone else what we'd like for ourselves.

Thanks for chiming in. I didn't say too little I think I said modest. When I replaced my B&K Preamp reference 200.2 with the Parasound 2100 Classic I could hear a difference so I assumed the same for my power amp maybe going up to 300 watts or 350, But I could be wrong. Just looking for little affordable changes that may help.

He has Paradigm 100 S series speakers and asked for a "step up". He did not ask for more power. His speakers are 92db efficiency and according to Paradigm need between 15 to 350 watts. More watts is not always better and class A amps often sound a lot better than class AB amps at a fraction of class AB output.

I am running 93db speakers in a good sized room with 10 watt First Watt SIT2's and they sound great. I agree that these would be outside of his budget. Actually he could find older First Watt amps around his budget and definitely could find great Class D amps for that price.

I was OK with your first sentence but your second comes across as bit judgmental considering I was trying to help him.

I did not see any posts from you offering help.

System

He has Paradigm 100 S series speakers and asked for a "step up". He did not ask for more power. His speakers are 92db efficiency and according to Paradigm need between 15 to 350 watts. More watts is not always better and class A amps often sound a lot better than class AB amps at a fraction of class AB output.

I am running 93db speakers in a good sized room with 10 watt First Watt SIT2's and they sound great. I agree that these would be outside of his budget. Actually he could find older First Watt amps around his budget and definitely could find great Class D amps for that price.

I was OK with your first sentence but your second was a bit judgmental considering I was trying to help him.

I did not see any posts from you offering advice.

My apologies if I came across as critical. I didn't intend to be. You've provided a couple of suggestions, including the one for a Class D amp, which is a good thought.

I agree with everything you said about more watts not necessarily being better. The Pass INT-30a is one of the nicest-sounding components I've ever heard, rated at 30 watts in Class A. However, at $7500 (among the least expensive of the Pass Labs components), it's considerably outside the OP's stated price range of $900.

The OP also mentioned upthread "I just thought 225rms was modest in power," which is the reason I said First Watt stuff is probably not what he was looking for.

Regarding high performing Class D amps, like you I'm also going to mention one outside the OP's declared price range(!), though not by a tremendous amount: Hypex NCore NC400 Build Service: Stereo, Mono, Bridged Mono – James Romeyn

Just under $1500.

I should say that like others, I generally agree the components the OP has look pretty good; I'd be more concerned with things like room placement than new stuff. Maybe a copy of Jim Smith's Get Better Sound would be good value for money: Get Better Sound - Get Better Sound (about $50 for the version with the DVD set).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.