IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

1 minute ago, chsas75 said:

Ive used this crutch with Sotm sms-200, now im changing my source and non usb solutions greatly decrease range and facilities fora reasonable price($1-2k). No USB no Roon :)

Something like Singxer SU-1 DDC takes USB input, uses XU208 internally with excellent clocks and a good galvanic isolation and outputs via I2S connection to Holo Spring. 

7 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Singxer SU-1

I used their young brother F-1, SU-1 better over i2s but their power scheme is not fine and +1 cable. Realy source + regen + converter + power for all too long usb train.

Soundaware, Shinrico and Cayin can escape it but they dont know about Roon@Tidal :)

12 hours ago, chsas75 said:

I used their young brother F-1, SU-1 better over i2s but their power scheme is not fine and +1 cable. Realy source + regen + converter + power for all too long usb train.

Soundaware, Shinrico and Cayin can escape it but they dont know about Roon@Tidal :)

I don't use any Regen products, USB cable goes directly into SU-1, from there a short, inexpensive HDMI cable (0.3m) into I2S input on the DAC. Yes, it's one more box and one more HDMI cord. This works well and sounds good to me. Power supply on the SU-1 can be replaced easily  with an external 5VDC one, but the internal LPS is good and can be upgraded with better, low noise voltage regulators. 

15 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm using built-in USB input of the Spring DAC and it works well. I doubt the jitter measurement results would get any better with an external box...

Can you let us know with what do you feed the USB in of the Spring, and what is the rest of your rig?

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

6 hours ago, doraymon said:

Can you let us know with what do you feed the USB in of the Spring, and what is the rest of your rig?

HQPlayer Embedded is running it at DSD512, from a fanless computer. (ASUS PRIME Z270 micro-ATX mobo and Intel Core i5-7600T CPU)

silent-internal.thumb.jpg.4e31f5c4c61393227e192f88f6c08d1e.jpg

"Rest of the rig" doesn't matter, jitter measured with Prism dScope III.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

48 minutes ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer Embedded is running it at DSD512, from a fanless computer. (ASUS PRIME Z270 micro-ATX mobo and Intel Core i5-7600T CPU)

silent-internal.thumb.jpg.4e31f5c4c61393227e192f88f6c08d1e.jpg

"Rest of the rig" doesn't matter, jitter measured with Prism dScope III.

Wow.

Where di you exactly took the jitter measurement? (sorry for the ignorance).

Is it at the USB input of the DAC or anywhere else?

On 02/10/2017 at 4:27 AM, Bimmer100 said:

The HoloAudio Cyan will be released the end of this month. And will have a dsd only r2r module or pcm only r2r module. One or the other. Also will include a src in case you would like to listen to dsd converted to pcm. Or with pcm module would be pcm converted to dsd. Take note whatever is on the r2r module will sound at its best. 

This Cyan will include a balanced headamp built in, along with 1/4 output. It is finished in the same look as our spring Dac yet a smaller chassis overall. Pricing will be very affordable. Unlike the spring, there will be no linear compensation tech, and costs were cut to allow r2r of your choice for one of the two... pcm or dsd exclusive r2r.  Then USB module is with xu208 xmos. 

Preorders will be accepted very soon. 

So hope this answer your question. It's been a bit more work to finish this project and we are quite proud of how it's turned out. 

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

"Also will include a src in case you would like to listen to dsd converted to pcm. Or with pcm module would be pcm converted to dsd."

shouldn't it be the other way around? 
DSD Module - Convert PCM to DSD in the computer (HQ Player) or using the SRC in the DAC
PCM Module - Convert DSD to PCM in the computer (HQ Player) or using the SRC in the DAC

How much will pricing be on this? Will it be available in the U.K.?

On 03/10/2017 at 4:08 AM, Bimmer100 said:

As far as I know, we are the only ones able to do dsd over r2r. And it's especially amazing on the spring since we proudly offer linear compensation. Imho the coolest feature without question. 

The may is still on the Dac drawing board... the Cyan has taken much longer for us to perfect. But we are happy with it! 

For those familiar with the spring, they will know when it's on OS mode it's running with the src... but not comparable to r2r with linear compensation (NOS)

te cyan will be NOS when using r2r, but does not have linear compensation. However the output is still quite nice and surpasses the majority of any r2r Dac on the market, even the very newest models Recently released. The Cyan has tremendous value!!!

but it's not really comparable to the spring. The power supply is not as advanced, the caps are not, etc. Many things were carefully planned to give maximum performance get required cheaper components to meet these goals. Nothing is per say, "cheap" or of poor quality, it's just not to the standard of the spring Dac. 

Its an moderate level piece of equipment. Yet will easily beat everything on the market in this price range. Oh will be very hard pressed to find anything better at this price range. We strive to bring ultimate bang for buck. And our customers can attest to this! 

I will def have one of these cyans in both pcm and dsd models. And will likely have the pcm model for my work shop Dac since it's nice and compact! And the amp is extremely capable! 

You can see the volume knob on the right, as it also allows choosing settings like high/low gain and nos or OS settings. An intuitive interface, and beautiful display like the spring Dac. 

Im sure everyone will be very happy with this HoloAudio Cyan. Those who want to get one on preorder, it will be mid October I will start with this. Along with unspublished special preorder special pricing.

so far we have about a 8/2 ratio of pcm/dsd interest. But if you are a serious dsd lover, it's truly special to hear dsd over r2r. Those with the spring will know this.

I believe Denafrips DACS (Ares/Pontus etc) also do DSD over R2R.
Metrum do PCM only over R2R.

Can the volume control be bypassed on the Cyan DAC?

This is a tweaky DAC, with limited production.  It is the last product I would expect to incorporate (the added expense of) MQA. Remember, MQA charges manufacturers to offer it, and it adds to the price.  The Holo DACs are built to be affordable first.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 02/10/2017 at 5:27 AM, Bimmer100 said:

The HoloAudio Cyan will be released the end of this month. And will have a dsd only r2r module or pcm only r2r module. One or the other. Also will include a src in case you would like to listen to dsd converted to pcm. Or with pcm module would be pcm converted to dsd. Take note whatever is on the r2r module will sound at its best. 

This Cyan will include a balanced headamp built in, along with 1/4 output. It is finished in the same look as our spring Dac yet a smaller chassis overall. Pricing will be very affordable. Unlike the spring, there will be no linear compensation tech, and costs were cut to allow r2r of your choice for one of the two... pcm or dsd exclusive r2r.  Then USB module is with xu208 xmos. 

Preorders will be accepted very soon. 

So hope this answer your question. It's been a bit more work to finish this project and we are quite proud of how it's turned out. 

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

HI, a couple of questions on Cyan...

1. will the Cyan support "international" voltage (110 and 220)  or there will be separate US and European versions?
    Or, how difficult will be to "convert" say a 110 US model to a 220 European?
  2. When will the pre-order start?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2017 at 11:38 PM, GUTB said:

It’s extremely disappointing that Holo won’t get MQA. Oh well.

I've emailed to Jeff Zhu regarding to Holo Spring support for MQA, he replied that he will see the future development of this format before he decides.

3 minutes ago, wouterk said:

Please don’t - I chose the Spring for it’s sound quality- any items interfering in the signal path are therefore not ‘a good idea’.

I fully agree! 

Why would you want a volume control if you have to use an amp or preamp? 

Hey ...guys from old school audio where digital=bad.  A digital volume control within the DAC that preserves all the resolution of the samples is now standard across many high-end DACs and, i hope,  can be implemented in logic on a R2R DAC.  You have too much paranoia from early era implementations where bits got chopped.  Nowadays internal bit depths of 32 or 48 bits ensure zero loss.  You can always add a downstream pre-amp if you want ...like to provide buffering or impedance matching to the AMP ...  but that is where you are adding interference with the analog audio signal.  For a simple feature like volume control that has practical usage benefits (and saves the cost of a pre-amp if you want) ...i say add it!

Besides, i like fine tuning the volume song to song from my listening couch. :)