IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

• 1 month later...

What ever happened to the DSD only DAC that Holo was talking about?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

Also will include a src in case you would like to listen to dsd converted to pcm.

Does the DSD only version have the SRC too for converting PCM to DSD?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

DSD version will only NOS?

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

headphone outputs there will always be?

whether or not you choose the version PCM or DSD?

the volume control is for your headphones?

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

10 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

Unlike the spring, there will be no linear compensation tech, and costs were cut to allow r2r of your choice for one of the two... pcm or dsd exclusive r2r.  Then USB module is with xu208 xmos. 

Curious if there are any other differences, perhaps in the power supply etc?  Comparing DSD playback through Spring L3 vs Cyan are there any differences?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

23 hours ago, Bimmer100 said:

The HoloAudio Cyan will be released the end of this month.

That's great news, thanks!  I'm looking forward to the details.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 8/5/2016 at 8:27 AM, orgel said:

Me too. It's perhaps worth re-emphasizing that the iFi micro iDSD is based on a Burr-Brown chipset, while the Spring DAC (and presumably the May) is R2R based. An R2R DAC that does DSD is a pretty rare bird, so that really piques my curiosity, especially since it's at an affordable (for me) price point.

Any plans to show the Spring and/or the May at RMAF?

--David

As far as I know, we are the only ones able to do dsd over r2r. And it's especially amazing on the spring since we proudly offer linear compensation. Imho the coolest feature without question. 

The may is still on the Dac drawing board... the Cyan has taken much longer for us to perfect. But we are happy with it! 

For those familiar with the spring, they will know when it's on OS mode it's running with the src... but not comparable to r2r with linear compensation (NOS)

te cyan will be NOS when using r2r, but does not have linear compensation. However the output is still quite nice and surpasses the majority of any r2r Dac on the market, even the very newest models Recently released. The Cyan has tremendous value!!!

but it's not really comparable to the spring. The power supply is not as advanced, the caps are not, etc. Many things were carefully planned to give maximum performance get required cheaper components to meet these goals. Nothing is per say, "cheap" or of poor quality, it's just not to the standard of the spring Dac. 

Its an moderate level piece of equipment. Yet will easily beat everything on the market in this price range. Oh will be very hard pressed to find anything better at this price range. We strive to bring ultimate bang for buck. And our customers can attest to this! 

I will def have one of these cyans in both pcm and dsd models. And will likely have the pcm model for my work shop Dac since it's nice and compact! And the amp is extremely capable! 

You can see the volume knob on the right, as it also allows choosing settings like high/low gain and nos or OS settings. An intuitive interface, and beautiful display like the spring Dac. 

Im sure everyone will be very happy with this HoloAudio Cyan. Those who want to get one on preorder, it will be mid October I will start with this. Along with unspublished special preorder special pricing.

so far we have about a 8/2 ratio of pcm/dsd interest. But if you are a serious dsd lover, it's truly special to hear dsd over r2r. Those with the spring will know this.

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

On 10/2/2017 at 10:27 AM, Bimmer100 said:

The HoloAudio Cyan will be released the end of this month. And will have a dsd only r2r module or pcm only r2r module. One or the other. Also will include a src in case you would like to listen to dsd converted to pcm. Or with pcm module would be pcm converted to dsd. Take note whatever is on the r2r module will sound at its best. 

This Cyan will include a balanced headamp built in, along with 1/4 output. It is finished in the same look as our spring Dac yet a smaller chassis overall. Pricing will be very affordable. Unlike the spring, there will be no linear compensation tech, and costs were cut to allow r2r of your choice for one of the two... pcm or dsd exclusive r2r.  Then USB module is with xu208 xmos. 

Preorders will be accepted very soon. 

So hope this answer your question. It's been a bit more work to finish this project and we are quite proud of how it's turned out. 

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

Is the R2R on the same league  of Spring ? I am sure that I don't want DSD.

1 hour ago, jflemelin said:

A question regarding the Vishay output caps. Has anyone tried to upgrade them? I'm thinking about the Jupiter HT capacitors (same awg as the Vishay's), but it could be another brand. 

If Tim from Kitsune reads this: Have you considered this upgrade?

Thanks

JF

The short of it is.... don't do it :D 

that's my very strong recommendation and you can take it as you will. 

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

I am very interested in a Cyan PCM to use with Tidal and Audirvana Plus my new fav source with my Holo Spring Level 3 w/ Crack and HD650. Hope the Cyan is as good at 44.1.

Jeff

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

On 02.10.2017 at 6:27 AM, Bimmer100 said:

The HoloAudio Cyan will be released the end of this month. And will have a dsd only r2r module or pcm only r2r module. One or the other. Also will include a src in case you would like to listen to dsd converted to pcm. Or with pcm module would be pcm converted to dsd. Take note whatever is on the r2r module will sound at its best. 

This Cyan will include a balanced headamp built in, along with 1/4 output. It is finished in the same look as our spring Dac yet a smaller chassis overall. Pricing will be very affordable. Unlike the spring, there will be no linear compensation tech, and costs were cut to allow r2r of your choice for one of the two... pcm or dsd exclusive r2r.  Then USB module is with xu208 xmos. 

Preorders will be accepted very soon. 

So hope this answer your question. It's been a bit more work to finish this project and we are quite proud of how it's turned out. 

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

Then USB module is with xu208 xmos. 

It bring question; how to implement xu208 to existing Holo Spring DAC?

The Holo Audio Cyan sounds like it's what the world is waiting for. Why aren't more people considering the combined potential between HQ Player and this DAC with the native DSD module, meaning we'll be able to play our DSD audio natively to this R2R NOS DSD DAC and upsample our PCM in HQPlayer to DSD128/256/512 (depending on CPU/preference etc) and again send to the Cyan Native DSD DAC?

Will this be available in the UK soon? (London)

Regards