IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

2 minutes ago, Timb5881 said:

Ok I have a couple of questions.  First how is the sound quality of the Sony BDP-S590 when playing SACD’s?  I understand that it can play SACD-R disc’s is this correct? And last if it can play SACD-R discs, can that dsd by passed through the digital out?

That's way off topic for this thread and best asked elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Timb5881 said:

Ok I have a couple of questions.  First how is the sound quality of the Sony BDP-S590 when playing SACD’s?  I understand that it can play SACD-R disc’s is this correct? And last if it can play SACD-R discs, can that dsd by passed through the digital out?

I suggest you search for an existing thread on SACD-R or DSD playback options, or start a new one if none currently exists.

This thread is about the actual process for ripping SACD using a Blu-ray player.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

48 minutes ago, Timb5881 said:

I have not critically listened to the audio output of the BX59. It is listed as capable of SACD-R play up to firmware M12.R.0430. It has line, digital coax, HDMI, and digital optical outputs. According to the manual, in audio settings, it can be set for DSD output. It outputs DSD to the HDMI when playing an SACD. No signal is output from the other jacks. I can't confirm this operation.

39 minutes ago, Timb5881 said:

As has been reported previously in this thread, up through firmware M12.R.0430, the BDP-S590 will play SACD-R discs.

The S590 will play  SACD/-R through the digital out but only at a non-high resolution rate.

Questions of sound quality are OT.

Hello, I am new to this whole process and downloaded the files and the Sonore application. The USB file seems to be working as it opens the drawer for me to load an SACD. The problem comes from the Sonore and I keep getting the following error message:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open x.x.x.x.0 for reading ( I took the IP address from the Oppo and did not enter a Port number)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone ever tried sacd-r on one of these blu-ray player players - SONY S780 or SONY S790?

I know the S780 can read sacd-r but I assume that after some firmware updates, it loses that capacity.

The S790 is formidable and is already 4K, but I have not heard anyone confirm it reads sacd-r.

The last SACD-r player I have had is the formidable DENON 2910. But it does not make it possible to read SACD through HDMI which is my priority at this time because I acquired a SONY DN1080 (wonderful sound)

20 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The S590 will play  SACD/-R through the digital out but only at a non-high resolution rate.

Questions of sound quality are OT.

I understand that the S590 will do native DSD passthu if configured to do so. Isn't it considered high resolution rate?

2 hours ago, W49n3r said:

I understand that the S590 will do native DSD passthu if configured to do so. Isn't it considered high resolution rate?

Sorry.  What I meant to say is that the S590 will pass a SACD/-R signal through its optical out only at 44.1 or 48 KHz/16 bit.  In other words, it downmixes to PCM with that digital out (like most SACD players).

It does native DSD but only through HDMI (once again like most SACD players).

5 hours ago, Rui Moutinho said:

I know the S780 can read sacd-r but I assume that after some firmware updates, it loses that capacity.

The S790 is formidable and is already 4K, but I have not heard anyone confirm it reads sacd-r.

With the Sony 2010  S *70 family (S370, S570 etc.) they retain the SACD-R reading capability through the highest firmware available.

With the Sony 2012 S*90 (S390, S590, etc) they have SACD-R reading capability up until a certain firmware.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the Sony 2011 S*80 family (since I don't own one of these models.)

I assume the S790 is like the S590 in terms of SACD-R, but I don't own a S790 to confirm.

13 hours ago, decibals said:

I have another newbie question...

As I convert my discs over and move all the files to an external HDD am I able to plug this HDD back into the Oppo and playback all the files so I don't have to change discs?

Yes, that should work just fine.  Of course, you will need some sort of screen so you can see the files and select the one you want.  You can either connect the Oppo to a TV or monitor or you can use the Oppo Media Player app on your phone or tablet.

5 minutes ago, Redbeemer said:

Yes, that should work just fine.  Of course, you will need some sort of screen so you can see the files and select the one you want.  You can either connect the Oppo to a TV or monitor or you can use the Oppo Media Player app on your phone or tablet.

Perfect, thank you very much! So happy to be able to back up all my SACD's and consolidate into one library!!

After this project it will be working on doing the same thing with my BD and DVD-A discs, hoping there is a solution as good as this one!

23 minutes ago, decibals said:

so this morning I am converting more discs and Sonore app is not recognizing Album Names and calling every album unknown?

Anyone see this before?

That is very strange!  I ripped my entire SACD collection and the Sonore app was able to read the album name of every single one of them and some are quite old.  Are you sure that it was actually connecting with your player?  That is the only thing I can think of.  Perhaps your player's IP address has changed (unless you have a fixed address for it), so the Sonore is just going to where the player used to be.  Have you tried to play one these new rips which doesn't have the album name, etc.?  If they don't play,  then that might indicate what I was suggesting above.  If they play fine, I have no idea what is going on.

6 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

With the Sony 2010  S *70 family (S370, S570 etc.) they retain the SACD-R reading capability through the highest firmware available.

With the Sony 2012 S*90 (S390, S590, etc) they have SACD-R reading capability up until a certain firmware.

I'm not sure what the situation is with the Sony 2011 S*80 family (since I don't own one of these models.)

I assume the S790 is like the S590 in terms of SACD-R, but I don't own a S790 to confirm.

Thank you.

however, here http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html    I found this « a successful downgrade from M13.R.0460 to M13.R.0369 on BDP-S790
(unfortunately SACD-R is still broken in 036» :(
10 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I don't understand.  Did you try the downgrade process from that site and it didn't work for you?

1. No. I did not try it because I do not have one.
I'm trying to choose one before buy. I really like what all the people (not only What Hi-Fi) said about the S790, but I see that it is impossible for him to read sacd-r even with firmware downgrade. 

The prices of these SONY's bluray are quite nice (not the madness of OPPO price).

2. Can anyone advise what will be the best of the «Sony 2010  S *70 family»? I just need one that be able to read sacd-r via HDMI (via analog i already have a Denon 2910).

Is not a priority because now I have a Receiver SONY DN1080 (fabulous) that reads DSD files (and all the other Hi-Res files) directly from usb or via DLNA. But... I was really amazed by the reviews of the S790 and I can not get it out of my head :)

3. On the page «A list of SACD R compatible players» the «Pioneer DV-575A» appear like «Confirmed to play after (custom) firmware update» but with me... don't work.

16 hours ago, decibals said:

After this project it will be working on doing the same thing with my BD and DVD-A discs, hoping there is a solution as good as this one!

DVD Audio Extractor works very well for both DVD's and BD's but keep in mind that BD's will need to be decrypted first. I use makemkv to decrypt.

18 hours ago, decibals said:

Perfect, thank you very much! So happy to be able to back up all my SACD's and consolidate into one library!!

Check your messages

10 hours ago, Rui Moutinho said:

, but I see that it is impossible for S790 to read sacd-r even with firmware downgrade. 

I see your point.  The poster on the Malcolm Stagg website said that he reverted to the earliest firmware and still could not get SACD-R playback. 

10 hours ago, Rui Moutinho said:

Can anyone advise what will be the best of the «Sony 2010  S *70 family»? I just need one that be able to read sacd-r via HDMI (via analog i already have a Denon 2910).

The top of the line is the S770.  I have the S570 and can confirm that it plays SACD-R (with the option of passing DSD through HDMI).

If you get a S590 and revert the firmware to M12.R.0430, you will get all the SACD-R capability of the S570 and also be able to rip SACD.