IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

11 minutes ago, MeiSh5am said:

However, if you rip to an ISO, FAT 32 has a size limit of 4GB, so ripping may fail if you have an disc with more than about 90 minutes of play time. 

I started ripping over the LAN and I stopped ripping to a USB drive when I discovered that 4GB is close to typical in my collection.  Half of my rips required concatenation and that is a pain-in-the-neck.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

16 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Half of my rips required concatenation and that is a pain-in-the-neck

Definitely true for PS 3 ripping.  It should be noted that if you rip with a Sony you can format your USB with NTFS (instead of FAT32) which the Sony can read (unlike the PS 3) and you can rip .isos larger than 4GB to USB if you like that method.

27 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

It should be noted that if you rip with a Sony you can format your USB with NTFS (instead of FAT32) which the Sony can read (unlike the PS 3) and you can rip .isos larger than 4GB to USB if you like that method.

The same is true for the Pioneer BDP-80FD, Oppo BDP-103, and Cambridge CXU players.

USB Mass Storage Class drives in NTFS format are compatible with those machines, so not just flash drives but also portable HDDs should work.

FAT32 is fine for any stereo only discs, but could come up short on discs with both stereo and multichannel content.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Can anyone please provide me with some step by step instructions on how to do SACD ripping directly to the USB flash drive? 

Here is what I already did:

I have a Oppo BDP-105, 32 gb flash drive.

I made the flash drive bootable using Rufus 3.5 and selecting freedos

Download and copy Autorip Script A5 into the flash drive from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rtxv0foswatda1/AADp_O6v-pyfx0ALmuUQUn48a?dl=0 

Turn my Oppo BDP-105 on, then insert the Flash drive. The tray opens up. Place the SACD and closes the tray.

Then I push play, but nothing happens??

What am I doing wrong?? Please help...

14 minutes ago, cdeveza said:

I made the flash drive bootable using Rufus 3.5 and selecting freedos

I'm not entirely sure what this means, FreeDOS is an operating system. The flash drive must be either FAT32, or NTFS format with Master Boot Record. You are not installing any OS onto the flash drive.

Download and copy Autorip Script A5 into the flash drive

Making sure that you have it in an outer/enclosing folder called AutoScript. Some computers seem to discard the enclosing folder on unzip, leaving only it's contents. I don't know why that happens.

Then I push play, but nothing happens??

You don't push play, after the tray closes you wait until the flash drive's LED activity indicator begins to flash, which means the rip has started. When it stops flashing, the rip is done and the tray will auto-eject. If your flash drive has no LED indicator, that makes it harder to know what is happening and you just need to wait patiently for the drawer to eject.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Definitely true for PS 3 ripping.  It should be noted that if you rip with a Sony you can format your USB with NTFS (instead of FAT32) which the Sony can read (unlike the PS 3) and you can rip .isos larger than 4GB to USB if you like that method.

Yes, my experience began with my PS3s and there was no reason to change (and fumble with dangling drives) when I moved to the the Oppos.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

31 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I'm not entirely sure what this means, FreeDOS is an operating system. The flash drive must be either FAT32, or NTFS format with Master Boot Record. You are not installing any OS onto the flash drive.

Making sure that you have it in an outer/enclosing folder called AutoScript. Some computers seem to discard the enclosing folder on unzip, leaving only it's contents. I don't know why that happens.

You don't push play, after the tray closes you wait until the flash drive's LED activity indicator begins to flash, which means the rip has started. When it stops flashing, the rip is done and the tray will auto-eject. If your flash drive has no LED indicator, that makes it harder to know what is happening and you just need to wait patiently for the drawer to eject.

Thank you mikeyfresh, I will definitely try that, thanks again...

28 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

No that's not correct, please see the video linked to in Post # 4548, the flash drive is inserted into an already on/booted up BDP-103.

Not arguing with an expert.  I am an alchemist in this thread.

i have been ripping since post 5 or 10.  Never read post 4548. ;)

I am still using the process laid out early on.  If it has changed, cool but I am sticking with what works.

i always insert the thumb drive and then turn on my 103.   Wait until the cd drawer opens then hit start on my PC.   It has always worked from the first attempt.  

This is is an awesome capability!!!!

11 minutes ago, Crwilli57 said:

i have been ripping since post 5 or 10.  Never read post 4548.

No argument intended at all, however @cdeveza's post you replied to above is asking about something specific to the relatively new method called AutoRip.

AutoRip is self-contained on a flash drive, no computer is needed, just put the flash drive in the player and an ISO is written to the flash drive.

So the practice you have been using since the beginning of the thread does not apply there, AutoRip using an Oppo is a different thing.

Even with the traditional method you use, you don't actually have to start/boot an Oppo with the flash drive already inserted, you can if you want to, but it isn't required, you can also wait for the machine to power up and end it's initial boot sequence before inserting the flash drive. Both ways work.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

9 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

you don't actually have to start/boot an Oppo with the flash drive already inserted, you can if you want to, but it isn't required,

trying Autorip on my Oppo 103D for the first time ever :)

not sure, so far, it is working: Oppo is extremely silent and usb stick I'm using has no led :(

(10+ minutes now and tray doesn't open as it should once ripping ends)

what I noticed though is... right: no need to turn the Oppo on with usb stick already inserted, but you have to turn it off then on again, after each rip, for Autorip to do its magic

... unless there's some required setting I missed on the Oppo 😐

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

Oppo is extremely silent and usb stick I'm using has no led

Thats right, Oppo is a very quiet machine, so a flash drive with an LED activity indicator is really useful.

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

what I noticed though is... right: no need to turn the Oppo on with usb stick already inserted, but you have to turn it off then on again, after each rip, for Autorip to do its magic

... unless there's some required setting I missed on the Oppo

I think you have it down, there is no Oppo setting that allows for consecutive rips, you must power cycle the machine.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

23 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes it is already a reality, using the appropriate AutoRip script for your Blu-ray player.

18 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Well your wish is coming true 😎

The special script type is called AutoRip - just watch this short but neat video demonstration (by @MikeyFresh).

Thankfully @Dick Darlington, hosted all of the AutoRip scripts here.

If you want to know which script fits what player model - use this overview.

Happy AutoRipping!

Wow... Many thanks for the information you guys... Okay then, "I'm going to give it a go, with my trusty Oppo..."

Nice one 😀

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 

My Network Layout and A/V Gear
23 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Thats right, Oppo is a very quiet machine, so a flash drive with an LED activity indicator is really useful.

I think you have it down, there is no Oppo setting that allows for consecutive rips, you must power cycle the machine.

ok, auto-ripping succeeded :)

will definitely get a flash drive with LED ;)

was wrong about turning off/on the Oppo: once a rip ends and tray opens... just remove the disc, close the tray, remove the usb flash drive, re-insert it and... there you go ;)

only caveat is... auto-rip is extremely slow: be very patient

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

12 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

was wrong about turning off/on the Oppo: once a rip ends and tray opens... just remove the disc, close the tray, remove the usb flash drive, re-insert it and... there you go

Ah yes, the instruction page Nexus3 included with the scripts does say just that:

For another round simply close the tray, remove the USB flash drive, reconnect it and repeat the steps above.

It can't hurt to also power cycle the unit however, I think repeated readings of the script might eventually consume too much of the machine's limited RAM. This would be a bigger potential problem on a Sony or Pioneer because they have less RAM to start with than an Oppo does.

16 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

only caveat is... auto-rip is extremely slow: be very patient

This could be exacerbated by a flash drive with a painfully slow write speed. Some of mine are just inexplicably slow on writes and I don't mean with AutoRip, I mean for any use whatsoever, probably a really bad embedded USB controller chip or flaky firmware.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I'm using a Kingston DT SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0 drive, formatted exFAT, which is super-fast with my MBP

guess culprit actually is... Oppo's USB 2.0 only ports :(

headphones system:

16 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

I'm using a Kingston DT SE9 G2 64GB USB 3.0 drive, formatted exFAT, which is super-fast with my MBP

guess culprit actually is... Oppo's USB 2.0 only ports :(

Thats interesting in that Oppo's user manual states only FAT32 and NTFS formats are compatible, but I do recall earlier in the thread that another member confirmed exFAT working with an Oppo (I think it was Dick Darlington).

Makes me want to try exFAT with Sony and Pioneer, perhaps it works with those too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

no NTFS on macOS so... tried exFAT, without checking Oppo's manual first, and it works ;)

headphones system:

5 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

no NTFS on macOS so... tried exFAT, without checking Oppo's manual first, and it works ;)

A key detail for me too, as my primary home computers are Mac and Linux.

I only use Windows for business, and for testing purposes with things like SACD ripping. It is inconvenient for me to use NTFS formatted drives at home, and the aforementioned FAT32 4GB folder size limit is an issue with AutoRip on SACDs with both a long playtime and as well both stereo and multichannel content, those can often exceed 4GB leading to the issue of concatenation that Kal described from the PS3 days.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

btw... do I have to set Oppo's "SACD Priority" to "Multichannel" or even when set to "Stereo" ripped ISOs will contain multichannel tracks too if/when present?

headphones system:

just tried AutoRip (A4) using an exFAT formatted usb stick with a Pioneer BDP-170 and... it doesn't work :(

I mean... exFAT doesn't work (FAT32 does) ;)

headphones system: