IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 hours ago, pl_svn said:

just tried AutoRip (A4) using an exFAT formatted usb stick with a Pioneer BDP-170 and... it doesn't work :(

I mean... exFAT doesn't work (FAT32 does) ;)

As far as I know the OPPO's are the only hardware media players that support USB connected HDD's formatted using the exFAT file system...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY

I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 

My Network Layout and A/V Gear
3 hours ago, Jeff Miller said:

When you rip a sacd is the metadata from the disc itself or from the internet. Just curious, thx

This method of ripping SACDs only extracts the contents of the disc itself, it does not connect to internet metadata repositories.

13 hours ago, Jeff Miller said:

When you rip a sacd is the metadata from the disc itself or from the internet. Just curious, thx

I was surprised that the metadata contained off the SACD is much more detailed than that of a CD - there's all kinds of stuff on. Literally, the only SACD I had out of about 35 was the 'Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds' where I had to put my own track names in.  Apart from that,   I really only needed to make a few tweaks and add cover art.  I use Mp3tag and it's quite handy.  Some of the rips I did capitalised either the album or tracks or both i.e. THE DOORS - BEST OF THE DOORS 01 - WHO DO YOU LOVE and Mp3tag has a handy 'Case Conversion' feature that just blasts everything down really quick.

Here are my brief instructions for BDP-S390. I didn't try server mode as I was only interested in local ripping via Telnet.

Things to pre-configure

-----------

(1) Set up networking (WiFi or fixed line) on the player and note down your IP address

(2) Format 4gb flash drive (FAT32)

(3) Place AutoScript folder found in the link below in root of flash drive (containing 3 files)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

Ripping

---

(1) Power on. Player will boot into standby mode. Turn player on to home screen
(2) Insert SACD. Autoplay will start. Return to home screen
(3) Insert USB stick. Wait a few seconds for AutoScript to trigger (nothing will change on screen)
(4) Telnet to player IP address. Connection should be established. Login as root (no password)
(5) Goto Music Settings and toggle SACD channel selection once (from Multi to Stereo, or Stereo to Multi)
(6) cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScript
(7) Run ./sacd_extract_160 -I
(8) SACD ISO extraction should begin to USB drive. 

(9) Remove USB drive and convert using iso2dsd if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. I own a Sony BDP-S590. I tried the Sonore ISO2DSP GUI that connects and provides .ISO files which will not write to dvd , error, states corrupt image file, i tried iso2dsd to create dsf or diff files, neither of these files play. So i to switched over to the telnet version of ripping and i receive the connection refused error. I was wondering if anyone here has successfully ripped sacd's using the sony bdp-s590 and if so, provide me the correct method to accomplish this, even better, provide detailed instructions. There seems to be various methods listed here, not sure which are best for the 590. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, 007james said:

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. I own a Sony BDP-S590. I tried the Sonore ISO2DSP GUI that connects and provides .ISO files which will not write to dvd , error, states corrupt image file, i tried iso2dsd to create dsf or diff files, neither of these files play. So i to switched over to the telnet version of ripping and i receive the connection refused error. I was wondering if anyone here has successfully ripped sacd's using the sony bdp-s590 and if so, provide me the correct method to accomplish this, even better, provide detailed instructions. There seems to be various methods listed here, not sure which are best for the 590. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

I don't own any of the Sony players, but one thing you stated has me puzzled.  You said that you can get the program from Sonore to produce dsf and dff files but they don't play.  Have examined the files as to their properties to be sure you got what you think you got?  If so, how are you trying to play these files?  Are you using a software program on your computer such as JRiver Media player or using a compatible streamer or music server such as an Auralic or Aurender?  What I am getting at, is that if they are in fact genuine DSD files, they should play on a compatible player or software.  I am not sure how the Sonore software would produce files that were corrupt.  It would seem that if it can connect to your Sony player and output files labelled as either dsf or dff, then you should be able to play them on compatible software or a compatible player.  When I first tried this with my Oppo, the Sonore gave me a message that it couldn't connect and read the files on the disc; that was because I hadn't entered the correct port number (2002).  As I stated above, it seems that once the software can connect to your player and read the files and output something, you should be good to go.  I have no knowledge of the use of the iso image files as to burning them on a DVD as I only am interested in getting the playable files off the SACD.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, 007james said:

Thanks in advance

See here, same animal.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, 007james said:

Thanks in advance

I have a BDP-BX59 which is the same player. What is the size of the ripped .ISO file? To extract the stereo content using ISO2DSD from the .ISO, you need to have Channel Mode set to Dual for stereo and the Output Mode set to Sony DSF. How are you trying to play the .DSF files? Both ISO and DSF will play using Foobar2000 on my PC.

I got it to work a couple days ago (on a MacBook Pro (executing from the terminal) and Oppo BDP-105).  I ripped 2 SACDS as ISOs.  Worked great.  Today, I cannot get it to work.  

The following are the 3 files I have in the Autoscript folder on the USB:

-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 xxx  staff  215796 Aug  9  2015 sacd_extract

-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 xxx  staff     141 Jun  4 12:03 AutoScript

-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 xxx  staff     141 Jun  4 12:04 AutoScript.TSS

Here is the command that I run at the terminal window.  I’ve checked the IP address of the Oppo and it has not changed.  I can ping that IP address successfully.

./sacd_extract -i XXX.XXX.X.XXX:2002 -P -I

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open xxx.xxx.x.xxx:2002 for reading

Any ideas?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Kurt said:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open xxx.xxx.x.xxx:2002 for reading

Does the player open the drawer automatically? If not, fix your USB stick - assuming anything has changed about it since you last tried. You can download the image I've posted a few pages ago and copy it onto the stick using diskutil or dd.

If it opens the drawer, can you still ping the player if it is disconnected or off, i.e. are you sure that you're not pinging another device that happens to have the same IP?

I re-downloaded AutoScript.zip per MikeyFresh’s post (#4536), unzipped the file, copied the AutoScript directory and contents to my flash drive and it’s working like a charm!  I had downloaded the files, individually, before and it apparently it wasn’t quite right.  Thank you!!

9 hours ago, Kurt said:

I re-downloaded AutoScript.zip per MikeyFresh’s post (#4536), unzipped the file, copied the AutoScript directory and contents to my flash drive and it’s working like a charm!  I had downloaded the files, individually, before and it apparently it wasn’t quite right.  Thank you!!

Then how was it possible for your original USB drive preparation to work initially? It worked for 2 or 3 rips and then the same USB  became not quite right because the files that worked at first were unable to continue working because of they way they were initially downloaded? Does not compute. 🧠 💣💥 

8 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Then how was it possible for your original USB drive preparation to work initially? It worked for 2 or 3 rips and then the same USB  became not quite right because the files that worked at first were unable to continue working because of they way they were initially downloaded? Does not compute. 🧠 💣💥 

Don't know.  Just sharing what happened.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:39 PM, stereo hifi said:

I have a BDP-BX59 which is the same player. What is the size of the ripped .ISO file? To extract the stereo content using ISO2DSD from the .ISO, you need to have Channel Mode set to Dual for stereo and the Output Mode set to Sony DSF. How are you trying to play the .DSF files? Both ISO and DSF will play using Foobar2000 on my PC.

First of all, thanks for all the replies.
I've tried this method, https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/?do=findComment&comment=959342 but it does not work for me, connection refused using ports 23 or 2002
As far as the iso goes, its a rip of Bryan Ferry Boys N Girls, 2.37 GB. I did not select dual, i was hoping for multi, does multi not rip correctly?
As far as play back goes, my Denon has always played dsd files, does not like diff, can you convert?
In the last few days my dune 4K media player has added/fixed diff/sacd capabilities, it's supposed to play sacd iso's as well.
So i can play diff files using the Dune now, have not tried an iso yet.
My questions now would be, is there any was to play back 5.1? Is this a ripping limitation or a playback limitation? Are ISO's better than individual files?  Sorry, i did not respond sooner, as with a lot of people, time is an issue, Any feedback is appreciated

2 hours ago, 007james said:

First of all, thanks for all the replies.
I've tried this method, https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/?do=findComment&comment=959342 but it does not work for me, connection refused using ports 23 or 2002
As far as the iso goes, its a rip of Bryan Ferry Boys N Girls, 2.37 GB. I did not select dual, i was hoping for multi, does multi not rip correctly?
As far as play back goes, my Denon has always played dsd files, does not like diff, can you convert?
In the last few days my dune 4K media player has added/fixed diff/sacd capabilities, it's supposed to play sacd iso's as well.
So i can play diff files using the Dune now, have not tried an iso yet.
My questions now would be, is there any was to play back 5.1? Is this a ripping limitation or a playback limitation? Are ISO's better than individual files?  Sorry, i did not respond sooner, as with a lot of people, time is an issue, Any feedback is appreciated

I am using the "sleep server" method using the basic Sony AutoScript files (thumb drive root has AutoScript folder containing the three files) and ISO2DSD in server input mode with default port 2002 .  Telnet is not needed. The "sleep server" method is the easiest and best method for high volume SACD ripping. It should work and extract .iso files as long as you can ping the Sony player on the network. If you can ping the player, the connection error usually means the AutoScript failed (bad AutoScript directory structure or files, or "memory leak" if it was previously working), and the player isn't ready to deliver to ISO2DSD. In that case, "reboot" the Sony by holding the power button for 10 seconds or more (or unplug replug), then reinsert the USB thumb drive after restart completed. Drawer opens. Insert disc. Press power. Drawer closes and Sony turns off (sleep mode). Run ISO2DSD in server mode.

The .iso file usually contains stereo and multichannel. I use the .iso files for archiving. I do not burn the .iso files to disc, so I don't have experience with the process.  Using ISO2DSD you can extract the stereo or multi content to 4 options ( I use stereo and Sony DSF). If your Dune can play .iso, I would use that, since there are less extraction steps. Just play your archive files directly. There is a convert DST to DSD check box, not sure if that would help it create files compatible with the Denon. Just try all the output combos and see if you get playable files. In my experience, there is always a way to convert one file type to another with the proper tool.

Ok I have a couple of questions.  First how is the sound quality of the Sony BDP-S590 when playing SACD’s?  I understand that it can play SACD-R disc’s is this correct? And last if it can play SACD-R discs, can that dsd by passed through the digital out?