IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 6/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, decibals said:

Perfect, thank you very much! So happy to be able to back up all my SACD's and consolidate into one library!!

After this project it will be working on doing the same thing with my BD and DVD-A discs, hoping there is a solution as good as this one!

For Blu-ray discs, I have used DVDFab, available online, to rip them to m2ts format, although it can also rip to other formats as well.  They also have programs for DVD's which will allow you to rip DVD-A discs, but you have to buy separate programs for the Blu-rays and DVD's, so be sure to purchase the program that meets your specific need.  With DVDFab, there is no need for a separate decrypter program, as it does that at the same time it is ripping, so you get the file ready to play in one step.

13 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I see your point.  The poster on the Malcolm Stagg website said that he reverted to the earliest firmware and still could not get SACD-R playback. 

The top of the line is the S770.  I have the S570 and can confirm that it plays SACD-R (with the option of passing DSD through HDMI).

If you get a S590 and revert the firmware to M12.R.0430, you will get all the SACD-R capability of the S570 and also be able to rip SACD.

Thank you Phthalocyanine. Now, I'll try to find an S770 or an S590 through the Hi-Fi Shark. Best regards. 

37 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I think Gracenote is history. I remember something about it being decommissioned, but the details escape me. 

I am not sure that is correct as my Sony HAP-Z1ES digital audio player/server still uses Gracenote as far as I can tell, although sometimes it makes some rather comical errors.  I certainly have not seen any similar message on the screen of that device.

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I believe the track names that are written to the ISO (or for that matter any DSF tracks extracted from that ISO) come from the metadata in the SACD's table of contents, not Gracenote. 

The sacd_extract program does not attempt to interface with Gracenote at all, it has no functionality with Gracenote, only the disc's TOC itself provides the track names.

Sometimes that metadata in the disc TOC is imperfect and needs revision, but Gracenote on the Sony Blu-ray players (or lack thereof) does not factor in there either, you must make any necessary revisions to the DSF tracks using a tag editor, either manually, or some tag editors do offer automation such as Yate on macOS

You can prove this by using one of the new AutoRip scripts and physically disconnecting the Blu-ray player from your network by either turning off WiFi or pulling the Ethernet cable. Then rip the disc to ISO using AutoRip. Because your network connection is off, there is no chance for any interaction with Gracenote or any other metadata repository, the only place the metadata can come from is the SACD itself. The file name of the completed ISO came from the disc's TOC. 

Once the rip is done, extract DSF from the ISO and there will be track names and other metadata that was gleaned from the disc's TOC already in those DSF files. This is the DSF extract from an ISO I just created using AutoRip with the player's Ethernet cable disconnected:

1199405222_ScreenShot2019-06-16at6_18_38PM.thumb.jpg.7d44fb966d54b089bb29cba7cb08c971.jpg

Both the name of the ISO, and all of the ensuing DSF track data came from the disc's TOC, as the player was physically disconnected from the LAN.

Yes it appears Sony only licensed Gracenote for their various Blu-ray player models for a finite amount of time, meaning at some point it expires and no longer works depending on the model year of the machine. However I don't think that can impact the metadata on SACD rips, that only comes from the disc TOC, the sacd_extract program makes no attempt to access any external/online metadata sources.

Need to try again.

10 hours ago, Redbeemer said:

I am not sure that is correct as my Sony HAP-Z1ES digital audio player/server still uses Gracenote as far as I can tell, although sometimes it makes some rather comical errors.  I certainly have not seen any similar message on the screen of that device.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800/articles/00203086

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

11 hours ago, Paul R said:

Thanks for that link!  So it appears that they have discontinued the Gracenote service for many of their Blu-ray players; however, my HAP-Z1ES is not listed so apparently it is still getting this service.  I also checked the Gracenote service website just to be sure they had not gone out of business and it appeared to be "business as usual", so this action is strictly being taken unilaterally by Sony.  As an aside, I note that my Oppo players which came with the Gracenote service are still providing it as before.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, John Yow said:

Sorry if this has been covered before.  I have not read this thread for a while.

Is there a 4K Blu Ray player out there that works with SACD ripper?

thanks  

To the best of our current knowledge, no, however most of them do offer 4K upscaling.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Good morning! Just found this thread this morning and trying on my Oppo BD-103. It's been a struggle.

First it is firmware BDP10x-83-1226

Second. It's been working great with an external drive attached through the front USB port, and it works great using MC25 as a server. 

My first struggle was getting the door to open but that is now working. I can't get ISO2DSD to connect though.  I can ping the Oppo on the network, and in my router I've done the port mapping to allow 2002 to go to 192.168.0.17 which is the Oppo address. 

When I try to connect, I get what you see in this attachment. I thought at first that one of my three instances of MC25 on my network may be trying to connect and hold something open, so I turned "My Network" off on the Oppo with no luck.

Snap221.jpg.590ae8e4e9d4db9b8ddc8e5ba61eced9.jpg

So I'm at a loss. I've rechecked the files (and getting these correct is probably my problem) but I've read multiple explanations of the file names and extensions/contents, so at this point I'm not really sure if what I have is completely correct or not. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

3 hours ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Good morning! Just found this thread this morning and trying on my Oppo BD-103. It's been a struggle.

First it is firmware BDP10x-83-1226

Second. It's been working great with an external drive attached through the front USB port, and it works great using MC25 as a server. 

My first struggle was getting the door to open but that is now working. I can't get ISO2DSD to connect though.  I can ping the Oppo on the network, and in my router I've done the port mapping to allow 2002 to go to 192.168.0.17 which is the Oppo address. 

When I try to connect, I get what you see in this attachment. I thought at first that one of my three instances of MC25 on my network may be trying to connect and hold something open, so I turned "My Network" off on the Oppo with no luck.

Snap221.jpg.590ae8e4e9d4db9b8ddc8e5ba61eced9.jpg

So I'm at a loss. I've rechecked the files (and getting these correct is probably my problem) but I've read multiple explanations of the file names and extensions/contents, so at this point I'm not really sure if what I have is completely correct or not. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Please post a screenshot of what your USB flash drive's AutoScript folder looks like.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

6 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Thanks for responding...

I still think it's something to do with these, just not sure what. 🙂

Snap222.thumb.jpg.f0e523306472c384552bae5864bad37c.jpg

I don't see an enclosing folder called AutoScript, though there is one folder there that has two dots as it's name?

I don't know what that is, but the flash drive structure needs to have an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level, and inside of that enclosing folder are the 3 items above in your screenshot.

So if that folder is called dot dot, it needs to be called AutoScript, and it houses the other 3 files. Make sure that AutoScript enclosing folder is at the root level of the drive, and you are then good to go.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

3 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I don't see an enclosing folder called AutoScript, though there is one folder there that has two dots as it's name?

I don't know what that is, but the flash drive structure needs to have an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level, and inside of that enclosing folder are the 3 items above in your screenshot.

So if that folder is called dot dot, it needs to be called AutoScript, and it houses the other 3 files. Make sure that AutoScript enclosing folder is at the root level of the drive, and you are then good to go.

Sorry, yes, there is a folder at the root called AutoScript that contains those files

Snap223.jpg.2f503f62b7ea88e0998086b72c2c995d.jpg

12 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Sorry, yes, there is a folder at the root called AutoScript that contains those files

Snap223.jpg.2f503f62b7ea88e0998086b72c2c995d.jpg

Hmmm, the file sizes you have don't match those on my Oppo AutoScript folder.

I suggest deleting the AutoScript folder you have there, and download use this one

1349789455_ScreenShot2019-05-11at10_36_46PM.jpg.12702c8ce346ec2b870694ef5f4be045.jpg.8476db4dd954e960e6d5abdfc7604c68.jpg

The downloaded file sizes should be 141 bytes each for the AutoScript and AutoScript.TSS files, and 353 KB for the sacd_extract file.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

15 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Hmmm, the file sizes you have don't match those on my Oppo AutoScript folder.

I suggest deleting the AutoScript folder you have there, and download use this one

The downloaded file sizes should be 141 bytes each for the AutoScript and AutoScript.TSS files, and 353 KB for the sacd_extract file.

The sizes are correct now. Still no luck. The tray opens, I close it, go to iso2dsd and get the same error message. Those 1k files are 141 bytes

Snap224.jpg

9 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

The sizes are correct now. Still no luck. The tray opens, I close it, go to iso2dsd and get the same error message. Those 1k files are 141 bytes

Snap224.jpg

Very strange, the error message you are getting is typical when there is no enclosing folder called AutoScript.

Other than that, some people have made it work miraculously by using a different USB flash drive, even though it appears the original flash drive should be fine (i.e. MBR partition scheme). The only thing that would seem to explain that is their flash drive that did not work has a hidden partition of some sort.

If you have a different flash drive on hand, try it. If not, consider reformatting the drive you have so that you are sure it has just the one partition with MBR as the partition scheme.

PS - you did turn off any Autostart/Autoplay/Autoresume type of settings on the Oppo? That is necessary, you don't want the machine to try to start playing the disc all by itself, so double check those settings in the 103's on-screen displayed menus.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

6 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Very strange, the error message you are getting is typical when there is no enclosing folder called AutoScript.

Other than that, some people have made it work miraculously by using a different USB flash drive, even though it appears the original flash drive should be fine (i.e. MBR partition scheme). The only thing that would seem to explain that is their flash drive that did not work has a hidden partition of some sort.

If you have a different flash drive on hand, try it. If not, consider reformatting the drive you have so that you are sure it has just the one partition with MBR as the partition scheme.

PS - you did turn off any Autostart/Autoplay/Autoresume type of settings on the Oppo? That is necessary, you don't want the machine to try to start playing the disc all by itself, so double check those settings in the 103's on-screen displayed menus.

Yes, all of the "auto" settings are off. Let me did up another flash drive and start over. The usb drive I'm currently using was just formatted this morning, but who knows, I've seen stranger things. I'll let you know how it goes. 🙂 Thanks for your help so far. 

I used an Oppo BDP-103D to rip all of my SACD's.  I have two suggestions:  first, try putting the files on a different USB stick.  My first stick would not work properly as it was a generic brand.  Next, is the IP address for your Oppo dynamic or fixed?  I went into my router and set a fixed IP address for both my 103D and my 105 (both worked for SACD ripping just fine).  If the IP address is dynamic, it can change anytime you turn off and then turn on the player, which would mean the address in the Sonore software is incorrect.

11 minutes ago, Redbeemer said:

Next, is the IP address for your Oppo dynamic or fixed?  I went into my router and set a fixed IP address for both my 103D and my 105 (both worked for SACD ripping just fine).  If the IP address is dynamic, it can change anytime you turn off and then turn on the player, which would mean the address in the Sonore software is incorrect.

Good point, although my Oppo always keeps the same IP unless power has been physically cut to the router, so at least in my case that's a router thing. Easy to check/verify the IP however, or for that matter make it fixed as you said.

This kind of troubleshooting is easier with SACDExtractGUI rather than ISO2DSD, because you have the easy to use Ping and Test buttons to check out the network connection. SACDExtractGUI is also just faster in utilizing @mindset's sacd_extract 3.9, and offers greater functionality than the venerable ISO2DSD.

Lastly, if the router, or Norton, Windows Defender, or some other heavy handed security software is blocking Port 2002, it would need to be unblocked.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook