IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

1 hour ago, loadam59 said:

S7200 only work for me in sleep mode. Wifi rip is really too slow, i reach 3 to 4 mb/s with a direct cable.

Awake mode should also work, I'll have to check if the WiFi performance is better there.

What do you think about the HDCD:    v|

I think that "only" the chipset can handle it by that report. If the player's manual doesn't mention a HDCD decoding ability you are most likely out of luck.

But give it a try anyway -  surely there must a HDCD out of 9000 in your posession 🙄 (although the real list is much shorter)

After i get access to the S7200 in sleep mode, i can power on and keep my telnet session !

Well the telnet session should still work even within sleep mode, only the USB-ports should be gone. Hence a local ripping is not possible within sleep mode.

Do you think if it could be possible to mount an iso sacd image from the usb key and to play it through the 7200 ?

I doubt this will work on SONY players, read about some older Pioneer model with modded firmwares, which can do that.

Actually the ideal playback (& backup) solution was there - SACD-R, until it was axed by Sony.

Regarding your comment on local ripping in sleep mode on BDP-S7200:

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Well the telnet session should still work even within sleep mode, only the USB-ports should be gone. Hence a local ripping is not possible within sleep mode.

At least for BDP-S6200, this is not true.  USB does remain alive in sleep and local ripping to a USB stick during sleep is possible.   I would guess the same is true for BDP-S7200 as well.

6 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Have you had any luck with the 6200 script and the Pioneer LX58?

Or can you make the LX58 report on itself?

No luck with the LX58 yet !

It seems that the AutoScript is not read !

I can't even gain access via telnet

is there someone who succeed to telnet the LX58 ?

5 hours ago, mindset said:

At least for BDP-S6200, this is not true.  USB does remain alive in sleep and local ripping to a USB stick during sleep is possible

No problem to rip in local mode.

In sleeping mode,

Nice to hear that the Sx200 player generation has no longer got this deficiency (no usb ports in sleep mode).

@loadam59, your script looks nice & sleek - guess there will be a 3rd autorip script then (A3 = Sx200 sleep)

Meanwhile I am still stuck at trying to circumvent the need to switch the SACD channel layout for local ripping on the old Sony players.

A few disc work but most just make the player crash:

/mnt/sdd1/AutoScript # ./sacd_extract* -I
mknod: /dev/sacd_read: File exists

30 minutes ago, loadam59 said:

No luck with the LX58 yet !

It seems that the AutoScript is not read !

I can't even gain access via telnet

Have you changed the telnet daemon within the Pioneer script?

telnetd won't work, you would have to replace it with inetd

7 hours ago, loadam59 said:

No problem to rip in local mode.

In sleeping mode, insert usb key then AutoScript start the sacd_extract_6200 -S

I started from telnet

cd /mnt/sda1/Autoscript

./sacd_extract_6200 -I -i 127.0.0.1:2002

The fact that the 6200 retains a connection to the USB port in sleep mode opens up some new forms of local ripping to USB as your post shows.

A few questions and possible tweaks:

I don’t understand why one needs the -i 127.0.0.1:2002 for local ripping.

I would simply use

./sacd_extract_6200 –I

to get the same result.

It seems like you are initially starting sacd_extract_6200 in server mode and opening port 2002 simply to send the iso to the USB drive.  Why not simply set the script to change directory to the USB drive where  sacd_extract_6200 is located and issue the command to do an iso rip there with the command mentioned above - ./sacd_extract_6200 –I.

No need to start server mode.

5 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Great suggestion!  but I'm not sure we know at this point that telnetd does not work and inetd does for the Pioneer LX58..

Telnetd does not work for the Oppos (which have firmware compiled for Arm version 7) but inetd does.  (As was discovered by @Dick Darlington)

But all the Pioneers to date had seemed to work with telnetd.

But was that because all these were Pioneers or because all these players had  firmware was compiled for Arm version 6?

If the LX58 has firmware compiled with Arm version 7 will it necessarily use inetd rather than telnetd?

that's what has to be confirmed.

3 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The fact that the 6200 retains a connection to the USB port in sleep mode opens up some new forms of local ripping to USB as your post shows.

A few questions and possible tweaks:

I don’t understand why one needs the -i 127.0.0.1:2002 for local ripping.

I would simply use

./sacd_extract_6200 –I

to get the same result.

It seems like you are initially starting sacd_extract_6200 in server mode and opening port 2002 simply to send the iso to the USB drive.  Why not simply set the script to change directory to the USB drive where  sacd_extract_6200 is located and issue the command to do an iso rip there with the command mentioned above - ./sacd_extract_6200 –I.

No need to start server mode.

Yes, if you don't need remote ripping, you don't have to start sacd_extract_6200 in server mode and use ./sacd_extract_6200 –I

as you said.

It's working fine too

9 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Meanwhile I am still stuck at trying to circumvent the need to switch the SACD channel layout for local ripping on the old Sony players.

A few disc work but most just make the player crash:

/mnt/sdd1/AutoScript # ./sacd_extract* -I

I'm exploring cliprog commands and maybe a command will allow to do this !

I don't understand this message

Does it mean that you don't get it when you change the SACD channel layout

On old Sony player this choice is not persistant ?

9 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Yes, i tried with inetd but nothing better

I saw someone who start inetd then telnetd after

I will have to try this

6 hours ago, loadam59 said:

On old Sony player this choice is not persistent ?

When are you getting this error message?

This could be the kind of error message you get when you do not do the music setting toggle (which I think you are referring to here as changing the SACD channel layout).  One gets various error messages in this area.

If what you mean by the choice of the SACD channel layout is not persistent is that you must change that setting every time before you rip a disc, the answer is yes.  The purpose of the toggle is to release the grip of the player software program (unmount the disc from the player program) so that the ripping program can access it.  So every time you put in a disc you must do the toggle.  (Except of course for the sleep server method where you never have to do the toggle.)

11 hours ago, loadam59 said:

I'm exploring cliprog commands and maybe a command will allow to do this !

Good luck!

Yep.

5 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

On old Sony player this choice is not persistent ?

When are you getting this error message?

This could be the kind of error message you get when you do not do the music setting toggle (which I think you are referring to here as changing the SACD channel layout).  One gets various error messages in this area.

If what you mean by the choice of the SACD channel layout is not persistent is that you must change that setting every time before you rip a disc, the answer is yes.  The purpose of the toggle is to release the grip of the player software program (unmount the disc from the player program) so that the ripping program can access it.  So every time you put in a disc you must do the toggle.  (Except of course for the sleep server method where you never have to do the toggle.)

Yes indeed, the manual SACD channel mode switchover works to avoid this.

The sad thing, is that you can not do this blind on the remote:

Home - 2x Left - 4x Down - Enter - 1x Down - Enter - 2CH/MULTI

because of the OPTION itself - its not borderless, meaning you would have to know what it is set to in order to pick UP or DOWN.

This also disqualifies my first thought of inputting IR commands via the script (if done by the chain).

It would be helpful to know if the Sony blu-rays player would still accept a dedicated command featured like on some older DVD player remote, to switch the channel config of the SACDs e.g. 

SA-CD_MULTI/2CH 
0x7AB92

Left corner key of the last grey row:

spacer.png

So my last best hope is for some command via cliprog, which can render the manual switch over obsolete

OR to live with the fact that there can not be a fully automated local ripping script for the older Sony player generations.

My first idea was just to change specific memory cells instead of using the IR to substitute the use of.

Or if the before is too difficult, why not creating an easy script displaying a message at the display and waiting for an IR input as y/n or something like this choosing Stereo or Multichannel. Could be done fore several necessary information and once known read from a data file (if exist,)

This has been done years ago with TV receivers?

7 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

It would be helpful to know if the Sony blu-rays player would still accept a dedicated command featured like on some older DVD player remote, to switch the channel config of the SACDs e.g. 

Harmony universal remotes can draw on a vast database of remote codes.

One could load  on a Harmony universal remote the remote profile for the Sony DVP-NC875V if that is the device that has the remote with the discrete SACD multi/stereo change code.  Then one could try it out on the Sony S590 etc.

I've got a Harmony universal remote I could try that with if you don't have one at hand.

I can confirm that the Sony 590 works with the 6200 firmware for me using sleep mode.

Only issue I have is with a particular disc. Managed to rip everything else in LAN or WiFi mode with a little persistence. But I can't get the player to let me get access to the disc for Raising Sand by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant

This steadfastly refuses to be ripped.
Anyone had a similar experience with this particular disc, which is a hybrid?
3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Once that stubborn hurdle is cleared, the actual optical drive replacement involves 4 Philips head mounting screws and 3 ribbon cables. Thats all, it works fine now, reads and plays CD, SACD, DVD, and Blu-ray discs with the $12.99 BPX-10 replacement part.

So once you get the case open you just swapped the drives and it worked.

None of that stuff in the service manuals about getting authorization from the mother ship was required?

Good job!

42 minutes ago, lardee said:

I can confirm that the Sony 590 works with the 6200 firmware for me using sleep mode.

Sony S590?  Do you mean the S7200?

The S590 should not work with the 6200 firmware.

44 minutes ago, lardee said:

What error message(s) are you getting?

1 hour ago, lardee said:

Only issue I have is with a particular disc. Managed to rip everything else in LAN or WiFi mode with a little persistence. But I can't get the player to let me get access to the disc for Raising Sand by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant

Anyone had a similar experience with this particular disc, which is a hybrid?

Probably due to non-english characters.

11 minutes ago, lardee said:

Senior moment there, it's a 5100

Well the 5100 should also be using sacd_extract_160 not sacd_extract_6200, so I suspect that the former is what you've got

But if you've got it working, we won't worry about that.

As to that particular SACD, I can't tell you anything more based on that error message, unfortunately.  Maybe someone who has the disc can chime in.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Probably due to non-English characters

@[email protected] Have you got that disc?  Based on the title given, it does not seem the most likely candidate for having non-English characters.  Is it a Japanese release?

1 minute ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Well the 5100 should also be using sacd_extract_160 not sacd_extract_6200, so I suspect that the former is what you've got

But if you've got it working, we won't worry about that.

As to that particular SACD, I can't tell you anything more based on that error message, unfortunately.  Maybe someone who has the disc can chime in.

@[email protected] Have you got that disc?  Based on the title given, it does not seem the most likely candidate for having non-English characters.  Is it a Japanese release?

When I look at the usb drive I see sacd_extract_160 so yup, I did try several downloads of the scripts and with trial and error got it working. The SACD is a US release of a Decca album, all mainstream so I doubt non-latin characters is the issue but I have tried several attempts when other SACDs were being ripped fine.

6 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

As for SACD rips, I can only get the awake-server method with the stereo/multichannel toggle to work, so far @mindset's S6200 sleep version with insertion of the AutoScript AFTER sleeping the machine will not work for me on the S7200, I don't know why.

Did you have the Super Quick Start Mode ON ?

The led on your usb key should be blinking when you insert it 😎