IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

3 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

@tmtomh

The server method is great when it works, but when it does not it can be hard to troubleshoot.

Although you may eventually want to use the server method exclusively it might be useful for you to try my local ripping method via telnet because this a process that you can get feedback as you go.  At the least, you should learn how to telnet in order to see how the usb stick is mounted.

•  

Telnet functionality is automatically opened up with the script and this does not interfere with the server connection.

•  

The only way that you can determine how the linux operating system is mounting the usb drive (as sda or sda1 or sdb or sdb1 etc.) is to use the telnet connection with the player and navigate to the /mnt directory and look there.  This is not something you can find in any of the Sony on-screen menus.

Thanks so much for your reply. I found one issue - but unfortunately it does not seem to have solved the problem.

I telnetted in to the Sony player and was surprised to see that the USB stick was mounted as sdb1 instead of sda1 - very strange since the unit has only one USB port. But it is a rear port, so perhaps the software/chipset assign sdb1 to the rear port regardless of whether the unit has a front port...?

So I changed the AutoScript to sdb1 instead of sda1. But now, instead of throwing up an error, DSD2ISO instead doesn't do anything at all - the "Execute" button greys out and no ripping status or error message appears. And, unfortunately, the Sony locks up completely at that point - I have to unplug it to get it to work again.

4 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I have both a BX510 and a S5100 machine, I used no special version of AutoScript, the same exact copy I had been using on the Pioneer BDP-160 worked well for me on the Sony units with the server method and ISO2DSD.

Initially I used the method in which the Music Setting is toggled, however I found it a little easier to utilize the sleep method instead, as it allowed me to forego any on-screen display, or for that matter any need for an HDMI connected display:

https://vimeo.com/270884101

Thanks for your reply. What is the sleep method? I've looked for something involving sleep in the on-screen menus, but I can't find anything.

1 minute ago, tmtomh said:

I telnetted in to the Sony player and was surprised to see that the USB stick was mounted as sdb1 instead of sda1 - very strange since the unit has only one USB port. 

It is quite common for linux to mount it to sdb1 or sbc1 so on and so forth, when you unplug your USB stick and plug it back in.

6 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

So I changed the AutoScript to sdb1 instead of sda1. But now, instead of throwing up an error, DSD2ISO instead doesn't do anything at all - the "Execute" button greys out and no ripping status or error message appears. And, unfortunately, the Sony locks up completely at that point - I have to unplug it to get it to work again.

instead of relying on the AutoScript, why not try telnet, find the sacd_extract_160 executable and execute from there?

16 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

very strange since the unit has only one USB port

My BX510 has two USB ports, the one in the front is on the far right-hand side hidden behind a pop-out plastic door that literally just pulls away. That said, I use the rear panel USB port as shown in my previous post's video using a USB extension cable/dongle.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

2 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

My BX510 has two USB ports, the one in the front is on the far right-hand side hidden behind a pop-out plastic door that literally just pulls away. Thats said, I use the rear panel USB port as shown in the previous post's video using a USB extension cable/dongle.

D'oh! You're right - I found the front port just now based on your comment.

Can you explain a bit more about "sleep mode" on this unit? Thanks!

@Vincent Neo - thanks for the tip about Linux mounting. You're right - it mounts as sda1 whenever I plug it in to the Sony for the first time after turning on the Sony, but if I unplug and replug, it mounts as sdb1. So that solves that mystery.

But I still can't get it to rip the SACD. It appears that when the script matches the mount point/ID of the USB stick - sda1 for example - I get the "non zero or disc opened - can't open 10.0.1.24:2002 for reading" error. And when the script does not match the mount point - sda1 vs sdb1 for example - the Sony just locks up completely.

4 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Some pages back it was suggested by @mindset, and it works perfectly for me:

Step 1: Power on Sony BX510

Step 2: Connect USB thumb drive dongle/AutoScript runs/tray opens automatically/load SACD

Step 3: Power down Sony S5100/tray closes automatically/player goes to sleep/AutoScript gains root access control

Step 4: Execute rip in ISO2DSD with one click while Sony S5100 is fast asleep

You must first disable the power saver setting, I can't remember exactly what thats called but in essence it allows for fast start/boot from stand-by mode as opposed to dead cold/lengthy start-up boot sequence.

Wow, very cool! Unfortunately mine still isn't working that way - I press Execute on ISO2DSD and nothing happens. I'll try a different USB stick, since I can't think of anything else.

18 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

And maybe also a clean unaltered copy/version of the BDP-160 AutoScript might do the trick, the one I linked to works well for me.

Thanks. I grabbed your files and used the sleep method. Pressed Execute on ISO2DSD, and then after several minutes got a different error message: "Failed to connect - can't open 10.0.1.24:2002 for reading."

(And to be clear, I've confirmed and reconfirmed that the IP address is correct, and Quick Start mode is Off)

14 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Thanks. I grabbed your files and used the sleep method. Pressed Execute on ISO2DSD, and then after several minutes got a different error message: "Failed to connect - can't open 10.0.1.24:2002 for reading."

(And to be clear, I've confirmed and reconfirmed that the IP address is correct, and Quick Start mode is Off)

I believe you want that Quick Start mode set for "On"... it allows the machine to fast boot (irrelevant for our purposes), and also to enter sleep mode on Power Down as opposed to a complete shut down.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Another @mindset revelation: you can remove the USB thumb drive and it is no longer needed at all unless the Sony's power cord is disconnected or some other power outage occurs, other than that the player will stay in ripping mode and you can execute consecutive rips without reinserting the USB thumb drive by sleeping the machine each time.

Yes, I (and I'm sure many others) discovered something very similar with the Oppos - you can take out the USB drive and they'll keep ripping SACDs one after the other until you turn them off. (The Oppos also have an energy saver vs quick start option, but I can't remember if the quick start option allows you to stay in ripping mode like with the Sony units.)

25 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

it basically makes the Sony unit function 95% like a regular external CD drive, except for SACDs.

Yes and if you have good WiFi, then the only cable needed is the Sony's power cord, which means the ripping station can be physically located anywhere in the home where there is a stable WiFi connection.

Without good available WiFi, one would of course would need an Ethernet cable connection, as well as the Sony's power cord.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

Yes and if you have good WiFi, then the only cable needed is the Sony's power cord, which means the ripping station can be physically located anywhere there is a stable WiFi connection.

Without good available WiFi, you'd of course need an Ethernet cable connection as well as the Sony's power cord.

Yes, that was exactly my plan/intention when I got this, and the sleep method enables that.

My first post here! I have successfully ripped over 60 SACDs with my Oppo 105D and Mac using the Sonore iso2dsd software. Despite my very basic computer skills, the process has been smooth without any problems. Now I have bought the Oppo 205, which does not allow the ripping of SACDs, so my plan was to sell the 105, and buy a cheap Sony or Pioneer for the sole purpose of ripping in future. I have bought a Sony BDP-S5100 relatively cheaply on eBay, but I can't get it to connect to my network. (I believe, this model is one of the ones that can rip SACDs).It is hardwired to my Airport Extreme router. I have noted the IP address and entered it in the software and clicked "execute" but get the message "failed to connect-can't open.." I have tried on my Oppo in the same way, and and it works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong? PS when I started the Sony for the first time, I was prompted to update the firmware. Was that a mistake, I wonder whether that removed the possibilty of SACD ripping? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, gammarayson said:

I have tried on my Oppo in the same way, and and it works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong? PS when I started the Sony for the first time, I was prompted to update the firmware. Was that a mistake, I wonder whether that removed the possibility of SACD ripping? Thanks in advance!

To date no one has reported any firmware incompatibilities, so you should be OK there.

Did you use the AutoScript folder intended for the Pioneer/Sony machines? The AutoScript you used with the Oppo 105D won't work with the Sony.

Did you use either the sleep method , or the music setting toggle prior to trying to execute the rip? One or the other is necessary with the Sony S5100.

If you choose to use the sleep method, you must first enable the Quick Start mode so that the S5100 will actually enter sleep as opposed to a complete shut-down. If you choose the music toggle, you'll need an attached monitor to see that on-screen display menu option.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

4 hours ago, gammarayson said:

My first post here! I have successfully ripped over 60 SACDs with my Oppo 105D and Mac using the Sonore iso2dsd software. Despite my very basic computer skills, the process has been smooth without any problems. Now I have bought the Oppo 205, which does not allow the ripping of SACDs, so my plan was to sell the 105, and buy a cheap Sony or Pioneer for the sole purpose of ripping in future. I have bought a Sony BDP-S5100 relatively cheaply on eBay, but I can't get it to connect to my network. (I believe, this model is one of the ones that can rip SACDs).It is hardwired to my Airport Extreme router. I have noted the IP address and entered it in the software and clicked "execute" but get the message "failed to connect-can't open.." I have tried on my Oppo in the same way, and and it works perfectly. Am I doing something wrong? PS when I started the Sony for the first time, I was prompted to update the firmware. Was that a mistake, I wonder whether that removed the possibilty of SACD ripping? Thanks in advance!

@MikeyFresh provides very helpful info just above.

As someone in virtually the same boat as you, I can offer some info too, although a lot of it overlaps with Mikey's.

I had an Oppo 105, replaced it with a 205, and just got a Sony BX510 (identical to the 5100) off eBay. And I initially had problems making it work as well.

I got mine to work by changing multiple variables so I can't say with 100% certainty which changed fixed the problem, but here are a couple of things to check, which I think were the most likely culprits:

• Use a clean script. If you're using the server method (as I am), I would recommend using the simplest script possible, one that does not activate telnet but merely enables the server method. I think Mikey has linked to the appropriate files a little earlier in the thread. I am told that the more complex script variants that include both Oppo and Sony instructions, along with telnet activation, should work, but in my experience they did not.
  • Turn the Sony unit off and back on again before re-trying your USB stick. When the stick is repeatedly unplugged and re-plugged without first turning off the Sony player, it will assign a different drive ID to it. The script depends on the USB drive being ID'd by the Sony as "sda1." But if you uplug it and re-plug it without rebooting the player, it will get ID'd by the Sony as "sdb1" the 2nd time, and "sdc1" the 3rd time, and so on - thereby breaking the autoscript, which is coded for "sda1."
  • If you are freshly formatting the USB stick on a Mac, ensure it's formatted using Master Boot Record, and MS-DOS/FAT16. Do not use the Mac-default GUID, and don't use exFAT, because while the Sony supports FAT and FAT32, it appears not to support exFAT.
  • As Mikey indicated, the sleep method is far simpler than the music-setting-switch method, even if you have a monitor attached. My Sony came with the quick-start function turned On, but since we're all buying these machines used, they are not necessarily set to factory defaults, and so you should check the prefs to see whether or not that function is On or Off on your unit.

I was really flummoxed initially, but I have now gotten it working, and it's super-easy. The only difference I detect compared to ripping with my Oppo 105 is that the Sony unit seems to rip about 10% slower. But since the Sony unit is a dedicated ripper rather than a music player like my Oppo was, I don't care about the extra minute or two it takes to rip an SACD.

Good luck!

14 hours ago, gammarayson said:

I was prompted to update the firmware. Was that a mistake, I wonder whether that removed the possibilty of SACD ripping? 

It looks like SONY released a new firmware (M15.R.0255) for BDP-S5100 on May 31, 2018.  I was concerned to see this in the release note:

• Improves the encryption security

However, I can confirm this version is still allowing SACD ripping (I tried this on my spare unit).

14 hours ago, gammarayson said:

Am I doing something wrong? 

Hard to tell without more details.  How about posting your AutoScript?

I really appreciate your responses, although a little advanced for my level. Basically I followed the instructions on this video:- 

I used a no-name 2gb usb flash drive which contain these files:- Autoscript, autoscript TSS and sacd extract. Then I repeated the exact same process with the same flashdrive and files on the Sony. Do I need different files for use with the Sony, and if so where do I find them? Is the procedure different than with the Oppo? The drawer does open when I insert the flash drive. I suppose, I am really asking for a step by guide for dummies to get this to work.. thanks for your patience! In the meantime I will reread this thread, especially the bit about the "sleep method"