IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have a question about scratched sacds. I have a disc that iTunes rips but stutters, XLD won’t complete the ripping process due to errors (both are the redbook layer of course) but my sacd layer iso ripped fine.

is it possible that it ripped the iso but the data is compromised? Or if it completes the rip then it is a good rip? I was curious about errors in ripping....

anyone have experience with this?

since there doesn’t seem to be an accurate DB like there is for redbook, so how do I know I have an error free rip?

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

7 minutes ago, Deyorew said:

since there doesn’t seem to be an accurate DB like there is for redbook, so how do I know I have an error free rip?

The old-fashioned way -- play it in whatever way you were intending to do -- play the .iso with J. River or burn a SACD-R and play it on your SACD-R capable BD player or convert it to .dsf files and play them on your .dsf compatible media player.  If you don't hear any problems you have a successful rip.

In all the reports of SACD ripping on this thread I can not think of an instance where a successful rip was reported to have any defects later.

Good enough for me. 

I was was just surprised that my (rather rare) sacd ripped successfully when the cd layers didn’t. Very happy too!

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

11 hours ago, Deyorew said:

I have a question about scratched sacds. I have a disc that iTunes rips but stutters, XLD won’t complete the ripping process due to errors (both are the redbook layer of course) but my sacd layer iso ripped fine.

is it possible that it ripped the iso but the data is compromised? Or if it completes the rip then it is a good rip? I was curious about errors in ripping....

anyone have experience with this?

Could be the rip has errors in it. But also keep in mind that the SACD data is in a different layer, read at a different focal length. So scratches and scuffs on the disc will have different levels of visibility and cause different degrees of problems when reading each layer. So a disc that has trouble being read on one layer, might rip okay on the other.

12 hours ago, Deyorew said:

This has been discussed here a short time ago. Unlike CDDA, the SACD layer should contain a (more or less "regular") filesystem with much more robust error correction mechanisms. The filesystem image should either be OK and accurate, or completly broken. That is the theory at least. I suppose the sacd_extract verifies and/or corrects the image it reads, but I might be wrong...

48 minutes ago, wanthalf said:

This has been discussed here a short time ago. Unlike CDDA, the SACD layer should contain a (more or less "regular") filesystem with much more robust error correction mechanisms. The filesystem image should either be OK and accurate, or completly broken. That is the theory at least. I suppose the sacd_extract verifies and/or corrects the image it reads, but I might be wrong...

File system itself typically doesn't contribute much of data integrity. It is the underlying error detection/correction scheme that is ensuring data integrity. 

Also, though some SACD discs have optional UDF, there are many SACDs without UDF, which means no file system.  All SACDs do have a mandatory TOC, which is not a file system, and this is the one that players rely on to find tacks and their lengths in addition to text information such as album names and track names. In the audio data section of the disc, compressed audio data of the entire album is just linearly recorded without any discontinuity or fragmentation.  I learned these when I was going through sacd_extract source codes for some enhancements.

Does anyone know why my 'Jeff Wayne's The War Of The Worlds' has no disc or track info for the SACD layers when using sacd_extract?

Every other disc I have put in (that is now recognised ? ), has all the correct info for the ISO, but neither of these two discs?? (They don't even appear correctly when using the Sony BDP UI which even shows CD's correctly...)

Thanks

6 minutes ago, servoyguru said:

Does anyone know why my 'Jeff Wayne's The War Of The Worlds' has no disc or track info for the SACD layers when using sacd_extract?

I personally have some SACDs without any disc info. I remembered it was those Hong Kong audio show’s SACDs

I guess it’s safe to presume that some SACDs are like that?

Multi-channel on HDMI input of Oppo 203 or 205

Has anyone else tried to get multi-channel audio through the HDMI input of the Oppo UHD-205? When I play my ripped ISO files on my Lenovo Yoga 700 notebook, Foobar says it is outputting 5-channel PCM 88.2k just as I told it to, but both info screens on the 205 say it is getting only stereo 48k. I tried hanging an HDMI audio de-embedder on the audio-only HDMI output of the 205, but got the same result. 

The Oppo manual says the HDMI input will accept up to 8-channel 192kHz audio. So is this an EDID handshake issue? Do I need to connect a multi-channel HDMI sink (like a receiver or pre-pro) to one of the 205's HDMI outputs in order to get this to work properly? Or is it a limitation of the Lenovo's HDMI output?

Dear moderators

I have a Sony BDP-S470

tried loading the script in a FAT32 (FAT16) 4gb thumbdrive

and changing the autoscript to telnetd instead of inetd

still no go to connect.

I am on the same network - i can ping the ip addr of the player and there was a response 

unable to telnet in though

would appreciate any advise pls

thanks

I am using an OPPO 103 and the Sonore GUI on my Mac. I have been ripping my sacd library for 2 weeks now and i have 3 or 4 discs that have the diacritical marks such as the umlaut mentioned  that the software balks on ripping. I have seen some talk about editing the sacd_ext file  to replace the iso file name with something without those marks. I have opened said file with mac’s text edit and cannot see where to make changes. Am I missing something? can someone give me specific instructions as to how to edit the file to change the iso file name to get rid of the marks and allow the rip to go through?

sorry for being wordy.

thanks

MikeGee