IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

24 minutes ago, Vincent Neo said:

Interestingly, my recompiled version (0.3.8 from source) doesn't have option -S

As I understand it, there are two source codes around

1. SACD ripper, which includes the SACD encryption keys and has option -S

2. SACD extractor, which does not have the SACD encryption keys and does not have option -S

35 minutes ago, Vincent Neo said:

By the way, do anyone know if the sacd_extract_160 have modified source files, that differ from the github source? If indeed it is different, please share the source file with me, as I hope to dive deeper into this.

To my knowledge, sacd_extract_160 is a derivative of the original sacd-ripper on github, and the source code is not publicly available.  The original's server code only supports PS3's drive though its client code is universal.

10 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

As I understand it, there are two source codes around

1. SACD ripper, which includes the SACD encryption keys and has option -S

2. SACD extractor, which does not have the SACD encryption keys and does not have option -S

I should try option 1 when free and see if there’s any differences. The instructions for the ripper seemed like it’s suited for PS3s only, though.

4 minutes ago, mindset said:

To my knowledge, sacd_extract_160 is a derivative of the original sacd-ripper on github, and the source code is not publicly available.  The original's server code only supports PS3's drive though its client code is universal.

That’s a problem, then. Anyone knows who the creator of the derivative is? I am not good with C code and there’s only so much that I can try to do, to hopefully make this work (I hope this works really. I’m not so sure though)

20 minutes ago, Vincent Neo said:

I should try option 1 when free and see if there’s any differences. The instructions for the ripper seemed like it’s suited for PS3s only, though.

I should have been clearer.  There are two programs I am aware of: SACD ripper and SACD extractor.  It may well be, as @mindset states, that the source code of SACD ripper is not available publicly, only the compiled version for PS3.

36 minutes ago, Vincent Neo said:

the lack of source code made me lose hope now. :(

You've made a lot of progress in a short period of time.  Who knows what might turn up.

But if you want to resume SACD ripping in the meantime, it might be easier for you to pick up a Sony BDP-S390 or S590 for cheap.

Just now, Phthalocyanine said:

You've made a lot of progress in a short period of time.  Who knows what might turn up.

But if you want to resume SACD ripping in the meantime, it might be easier for you to pick up a Sony BDP-S390 or S590 for cheap.

I’m in no hurry now, as I have no new SACDs. Meanwhile, I was digging through Google, and found that sacd_extract_160 seemed to come from a Russian source. Though the Russian forum also stated about some chinese firmware, so it’s quite confusing really, considering I don’t understand Russian and Google translate is kinda troublesome.

Who knows, hopefully the source code is lingering somewhere in there? 

So, I just found this site today looking for ways to backup my SACD collection. Lots of great info here! I discovered that I already own a Sony BDP-S590 (ver M12.R.0510), which is awesome. I read through most of this thread, starting at the Sony discovery. I downloaded PuTTY and the files found in the DropBox link. I only see a folder for "AutoScript" but no "AutoScriptSACD" folder.  So, I loaded just the one folder and followed the players boot instructions. I was able to Telnet into my S590 and get root access. As soon as I enter the command: "cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/" I get the error: "can't cd to /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/". This seems, I would think, appropriate, since I don't have the folder with that name. Is that what I'm missing? If so, where/how can I get it?

This is all new to me, so please be gentle. :)

Edit: I just remembered some commands from years past. I guess I was way off on what I thought was going on. Anyways, while in the "root" folder I noticed it contained an "sdd1" folder, not "sda1". I changed that and low and behold, I see "AutoScriptSACD"! Next step, run "./sacd_extract_160 -I". Now I get a not found error. :(

19 hours ago, Vincent Neo said:

insmod: error inserting '/tmp/filenVAEOs': -1 Invalid module format

This line (the inserted file always changes) really makes me feel like it is a problem with the kernel not supporting the executable as it is of the newer version, not the usual 2.6.35 kernel with players like the Pioneer BDP-160. insmod inserts kernel modules, which is kernel version dependent, I remembered? 

Just out of curiosity, I ran some analysis on sacd_extract_160 binary.  It turned out that at start up, it copies the sacd_read kernel module, which is hard-coded within the program, to /tmp/file****, and tries to insert it using insmod.

As you pointed out , this kernel module is for the 2.6.35 kernel, and cannot be normally inserted to another kernel version. However,  insmod has a force option (-f) to ignore version mismatch.  So, though it will likely fail, it may be worth trying inserting this kernel module with this option, and then run sacd_extract_160.  Now the question is how to insert the kernel module manually while the kernel module copied to /tmp gets deleted immediately after kernel module insertion attempt.

The kernel module can be obtained by minor modification to sacd_extract_160 with a binary editor: replace insmod %s minor=201 with cp %s /tmp/test1.ko  Make sure nothing gets shifted in the binary when you do this.  After running this modified sacd_extract_160, try insmod -f /tmp/test1.ko minor=201 and then run sacd_extract_160 again.

4 hours ago, Nevermore said:

just remembered some commands from years past. I guess I was way off on what I thought was going on. Anyways, while in the "root" folder I noticed it contained an "sdd1" folder, not "sda1". I changed that and low and behold, I see "AutoScriptSACD"! Next step, run "./sacd_extract_160 -I". Now I get a not found error

If you are trying to use the local ripping to USB method, the main idea is that you navigate into the folder on the USB stick that has sacd_extract_160 program file in it and then you issue the command ./sacd_extract_160 -I which tells it to run the program and rip an .iso in that same folder.

So, find out what the usb stick is mounted as -- in this case it was sdd1. (Turn off fast-start setting in system settings in the Sony in the future to avoid having the usb stick get a new mount assignment every time you put it in.)

Make sure that sacd_extract_160 is in the folder you are navigating to, and navigate to it with cd/

Do the work-around step now if you have not done it before (change music settings in the Sony menu from stereo to mult-channel or vice versa)

issue the command: ./sacd_extract_160 -I

ripping should start.

2 hours ago, mindset said:

After running this modified sacd_extract_160, try insmod -f /tmp/test1.ko minor=201 and then run sacd_extract_160 again.

insmod -f /tmp/test1.ko minor=201
insmod: error inserting '/tmp/test1.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Still didn't work... I ended up copying test1.ko to the USB stick, hoping to compare it to the github one.

14 hours ago, Vincent Neo said:

I recompiled sacd_extract for kernel 3.10.26.

Previous errors are resolved now.

Now I'm getting this: 

libsacdread: Can't stat /dev/cdrom
No such file or directory

Now the question I have is that isn't the drive located at /dev/sr0? why is it sourcing /dev/cdrom? As such, do you guys have any way to force libsacdread to stat /dev/sr0, or to check if there is indeed a /dev/cdrom in usual supported devices like the Pioneers or the Oppos.

By the way, do anyone know if the sacd_extract_160 have modified source files, that differ from the github source? If indeed it is different, please share the source file with me, as I hope to dive deeper into this.

You seem to know what you're doing and I can't beleive that you didn't already try this (nor that somebody else hasn't already suggested it), but, create a sim link on the player using the telnet shell?

sudo ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom

Assuming the SACD drive is on /dev/sr0 which you should be able to check first.

I may have got it the wrong way round (I often do with ln -s ), in which case it would be:

sudo ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/sr0

But you get the idea.

HTH!

Matt :)

13 minutes ago, mutant_matt said:

You seem to know what you're doing and I can't beleive that you didn't already try this (nor that somebody else hasn't already suggested it), but, create a sim link on the player using the telnet shell?

sudo ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom

Assuming the SACD drive is on /dev/sr0 which you should be able to check first.

HTH!

Matt :)

That definitely helps, Matt!

I didn't know about the ln command, believe it or not :)

Now it just says processing, but does nothing:

Processing [Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1).iso] (1/1)..

Don't know what to do now. Did all the permission stuff at both /dev and /mnt/sda1. Nothing seems to work. ls -l shows that the .iso files are empty.

Processing [Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out/01 - Dave Brubeck Quartet - Blue Rondo A La Turk.dsf] (1/7)..
[0]: convert_string(): Conversion not supported. Charsets: UTF-8 -> ISO-8859-1
Completed: 10% (29.0MB), Total: 1% (280.4MB) at 2.07MB/sec

I'm geniunely excited right now!! ./sacd_extract_6700 -t 1 -s seems to work! I'll wait and see if it rips nicely if done as .dsf files not .iso

7 hours ago, Vincent Neo said:

I'm geniunely excited right now!! ./sacd_extract_6700 -t 1 -s seems to work! I'll wait and see if it rips nicely if done as .dsf files not .iso

If you've extracted an .iso that's the main thing!

You can always process the .iso to .dsf running iso2dsf on a Windows computer or a Mac.

8 hours ago, Vincent Neo said:

Now it just says processing, but does nothing:

Processing [Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1).iso] (1/1)..

Nothing seems to work. ls -l shows that the .iso files are empty.

53 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

If you've extracted an .iso that's the main thing!

You can always process the .iso to .dsf running iso2dsf on a Windows computer or a Mac.

.iso extraction never worked, and .dsf extraction was false hope. Now I’m wondering when processing, does the sacd_extract dump it to a temporary place? I’ve used top and it does seems like there’s indeed things happening during the processing stage, but all outputted files were either corrupt, or empty 0 byte files.

10 hours ago, Vincent Neo said:

Still didn't work... I ended up copying test1.ko to the USB stick, hoping to compare it to the github one.

Not surprised..

sacd-ripper on github doesn't include any kernel module.  This kernel module is closed source, specific to Mediatek processors used in BD players ,and is probably where the key part of decryption (like reading hidden keys from a disc) is happening.

sacd_extract you compiled has none of this, so it was probably trying to rip from encrypted data.  By the way, TOC of SACD is not encrypted, and that is why you could get the correct album name.

16 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

If you are trying to use the local ripping to USB method, the main idea is that you navigate into the folder on the USB stick that has sacd_extract_160 program file in it and then you issue the command ./sacd_extract_160 -I which tells it to run the program and rip an .iso in that same folder.

So, find out what the usb stick is mounted as -- in this case it was sdd1. (Turn off fast-start setting in system settings in the Sony in the future to avoid having the usb stick get a new mount assignment every time you put it in.)

Make sure that sacd_extract_160 is in the folder you are navigating to, and navigate to it with cd/

Do the work-around step now if you have not done it before (change music settings in the Sony menu from stereo to mult-channel or vice versa)

issue the command: ./sacd_extract_160 -I

ripping should start.

Thanks! I got it working now. It only took two tries, with the help of this forum. :) You guys are the best!

@Phthalocyanine, @Dick Darlington, or anyone else who might have some advice or thoughts:

I just picked up a Sony BX510 (aka 5100) very inexpensively to use as a dedicated SACD ripper. I have experience successfully ripping SACDs from my Oppo 105, so I'm familiar with the process and software.

However, I'm unable to rip from the Sony so far, and I wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

• I've formatted an old 1GB USB drive and it appears to work: I plug it in, the Sony detects and mounts the USB drive, then "0000" displays and after a few moments the tray opens.
  • I then load the SACD, and then navigate to Music Settings and toggle either the SACD/CD setting or the Stereo/Multi setting.
  • I am trying to rip via the Server method, and I have uncommented the relevant lines of the AutoScript file. But when I press "Execute" in the ISO2DSD app on my computer, I get the following error: "Reponse result non-zero or disc opened - libdiscread: Can't open 10.0.1.24:2002 for reading"

I would be grateful for any ideas anyone has. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

@Phthalocyanine, @Dick Darlington, or anyone else who might have some advice or thoughts:

• I then load the SACD, and then navigate to Music Settings and toggle either the SACD/CD setting or the Stereo/Multi setting.
  • I am trying to rip via the Server method, and I have uncommented the relevant lines of the AutoScript file. But when I press "Execute" in the ISO2DSD app on my computer, nothing happens - the Execute button greys out, but instead of SACD ripping starting after a few moments, nothing seems to happen.

Have you tried to telnet into the player, and invoke ./sacd_extract from /mnt/sda1? 

11 hours ago, mindset said:

sacd-ripper on github doesn't include any kernel module.  This kernel module is closed source, specific to Mediatek processors used in BD players ,and is probably where the key part of decryption (like reading hidden keys from a disc) is happening.

Drives me to give it up. :(

@tmtomh

The server method is great when it works, but when it does not it can be hard to troubleshoot.

Although you may eventually want to use the server method exclusively it might be useful for you to try my local ripping method via telnet because this a process that you can get feedback as you go.  At the least, you should learn how to telnet in order to see how the usb stick is mounted.

The only explanations I can think of are:

Is the AutoScript somehow defaulting to the telnet method? Do I have to comment out some telnet lines in addition to uncommenting the server lines in the script?

Telnet functionality is automatically opened up with the script and this does not interfere with the server connection.

Is the USB drive mounting with the wrong device address? FYI this Sony model has only one USB port, and I have no idea how to even find the device address of the USB drive - I can't find it in the on-screen menus.

The only way that you can determine how the linux operating system is mounting the usb drive (as sda or sda1 or sdb or sdb1 etc.) is to use the telnet connection with the player and navigate to the /mnt directory and look there.  This is not something you can find in any of the Sony on-screen menus.