IGNORED

Network Speed Requirements for various formats?

As the tittle suggests, what are the network speed requirements for the typical formats of 16/44, 24/96, 24/192, DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256?

Music stored on a NAS and either wirelessly streaming or hardwired to some sort of bridge it all requires xx(x)Mbps. What is that number?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

192/24 will be just short of 10 Mbps for the raw stream. So bit more than that for some headroom. DSD 256 would be just under 23 Mbps. That's for two channels on each.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The bottom line is a $30 Wireless N Router and $10 USB N adapter far surpasses anything audio.

+1.

Also if you need some range this $13.99 adapter works very well and really does have better than usual range.

https://www.amazon.com/Comfast-Wireless-150Mbps-Antennas-Supported/dp/B01AUK7RFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465876225&sr=8-2&keywords=comfast+usb+adapter

I regularly use it with a neighbor up the street around 400 ft away. From inside my house to his router in his house we get a nice connection that can do video and audio without glitches. Usually I connect to his router for file transfer on one of his machines.

Edit to add:it is plug and play with Linux as I am using it with a Linux desktop server.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just checked: while I have an external USB 2.0 drive connected locally to my laptop, it reaches around 25MBps read/write speed and it's more than enough to play DSD256. While when the same drive attached to the router I can get only around 7-8MBps wirelessly which is not enough at all to play anything higher than high res.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Just checked: while I have an external USB 2.0 drive connected locally to my laptop, it reaches around 25MBps read/write speed and it's more than enough to play DSD256. While when the same drive attached to the router I can get only around 7-8MBps wirelessly which is not enough at all to play anything higher than high res.

7-8 MegaBYTES (not MegaBITS) per second is way more than you need to play DSD256.

Let's assume you have an 8GB album at 60 minutes in length. The math comes out to 133MB per minute. Divide 133 by 60 seconds and you only need 2.21 MBps.

7-8 MegaBYTES (not MegaBITS) per second is way more than you need to play DSD256.

Let's assume you have an 8GB album at 60 minutes in length. The math comes out to 133MB per minute. Divide 133 by 60 seconds and you only need 2.21 MBps.

I know the difference between MegaByte and Megabit but those assumptions totally not working on my setup (Macbook Pro AC via wifi from Airport Extreme N with attached USB2.0 HDD with Roon), I have constant dropouts and DSD skips completely after 1-60 seconds of playback while when attached directly to my Mac I got zero playback issues. Theory is a theory. And you've ignored initial bufferization which requires around 25MBps of initial reading speed which I can confirm. this article.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

I know the difference between MegaByte and Megabit but those assumptions totally not working on my setup (Macbook Pro AC via wifi from Airport Extreme N with attached USB2.0 HDD with Roon), I have constant dropouts and DSD skips completely after 1-60 seconds of playback while when attached directly to my Mac I got zero playback issues. Theory is a theory. And you've ignored initial bufferization which requires around 25MBps of initial reading speed which I can confirm. this article.

Then you have something else going on. Most likely latency.

I read the article. Great write up but I believe he is miss-stating the 30MB (I read it as MegaByte and not MegaBit) and I believe it should be 3MB/s. I Generally read Mega bits as Mb and Mega Bytes as MB.

The initial spike of the worst variety (if that is what is being referenced is 1800KByte/Second or slightly under 2MB/Second).

I read the article. Great write up but I believe he is miss-stating the 30MB (I read it as MegaByte and not MegaBit) and I believe it should be 3MB/s. I Generally read Mega bits as Mb and Mega Bytes as MB.

The initial spike of the worst variety (if that is what is being referenced is 1800KByte/Second or slightly under 2MB/Second).

Foobar disagrees with you on DSD playback, see below where single DSD is 5.545 mb per second

Untitled.png

dsd.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

+1.

Also if you need some range this $13.99 adapter works very well and really does have better than usual range.

https://www.amazon.com/Comfast-Wireless-150Mbps-Antennas-Supported/dp/B01AUK7RFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465876225&sr=8-2&keywords=comfast+usb+adapter

I regularly use it with a neighbor up the street around 400 ft away. From inside my house to his router in his house we get a nice connection that can do video and audio without glitches. Usually I connect to his router for file transfer on one of his machines.

Edit to add:it is plug and play with Linux as I am using it with a Linux desktop server.

Ok, I've just retested again and it seams that for Audirvana is enough to get up to 7MBps to stream DSD256 but for Roon is isn't at all unfortunately