IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Quite correct, you can get super results with $ 700 worth of parts + case. We did that 2 weeks ago at Larry's

But when you have a mobo power supply with microvolt ripple, add a OCXO with its own power supply, a dedicated power supply for the SSD, select the best sounding RAM, tune the RAM settings, build a optimized OS for the software that's running, the sound quality rises to another level

That's what we have been doing since July 2015, and will be announcing is 3 weeks time :-)

Nice. Something that takes the place of the PC and has enough CPU and CUDA power for HQ Player upsampling to DSD 256 Multichannel and beyond would be of interest here. :)

Tom, Do I remember right you were also doing this binaural?

Cheers

Craig

Unfortunately not the Mahler 3, but we did a binaural 256fs recording of the Mahler 7 last year. This M3 was recorded in two sessions, one with the mezzo and choirs movements 4 and 5 on March 12, and the remaining movements on March 24 and 25 after the BFO tour. Tom peters needed the Neumann KU-100 head between sessions for another project, and couldn't carry it on the plane between Budapest and Eindhoven. We shoyuld be offering the M7 on NativeDSD as soon as the SACD release version is edited.

But that's not the fault of an algorithm (in case of insufficient thermal cooling), that's a poorly engineered system. Ofcourse parts don't last forever, but its rare (easily <1%) even if the CPU is loaded 100% of the day. CPUs are designed to withstand long loads, when in a sufficiently cooled system. Closed-form won't cause premature death...

(and we still dont know if the CPU or something else is dead!)

It is sometimes possible, even very generous cooling, to cause overheating in a very small part of a CPU using a carefully crafted loop of instructions. It's highly unlikely, however, that anything actually useful should ever do this.

It is sometimes possible, even very generous cooling, to cause overheating in a very small part of a CPU using a carefully crafted loop of instructions. It's highly unlikely, however, that anything actually useful should ever do this.

All CPUs have thermal management these days and OS is also partially responsible in participating it. There is also thermal protection hardware on the dies these days.

Most typical reason for overheating is dust collected in the internal heatsinks, blocking proper air flow. Result is involuntary thermal shutdowns/halts. Yearly internal cleanup for machines running 24/7 in non-clean air conditions is usually sufficient to keep the machines happy.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

How can running closed form algorithms destroy a cpu? Do we even know for sure it's the cpu that's dead? Would love miska's input on this :-D

HQPlayer is pretty light on CPU and GPU compared to modern computer games at 2.7k resolution with full details on... :)

For example something like Far Cry 4 or others based on CryEngine or Unreal engine.

PCM at 88.2/24 is by any reasonable measure better than DSD64 while needing 25% less space.

Not in my opinion. DSD64 can reach significantly higher SNR in audio band, while having much better temporal resolution due to wider bandwidth (no inherent need for bandwidth limiting).

You can get nicely detectable 250 kHz sine out from a DSD64 DAC, although attenuated by the reconstruction filters.

Loki-250k-sine.png

Unfortunately not the Mahler 3, but we did a binaural 256fs recording of the Mahler 7 last year. This M3 was recorded in two sessions, one with the mezzo and choirs movements 4 and 5 on March 12, and the remaining movements on March 24 and 25 after the BFO tour. Tom peters needed the Neumann KU-100 head between sessions for another project, and couldn't carry it on the plane between Budapest and Eindhoven. We shoyuld be offering the M7 on NativeDSD as soon as the SACD release version is edited.

Ok this is of course very OT with regard to the T+A thread as such, but still the most interesting piece of news as far as classical recording goes for me personally!

I was in contact with Jared regarding those sessions but I don't remember him saying anything about neither DSD 256 nor binaural.

Hearing this from you,I wish I had gone to Budapest in spite of the migration chaos going on there at the time, which made me change my plans.Well good to hear that mahler 7 is "in the can".

I remember Hein saying that they were not sure Fischer would do the 7th.

Well I hope he/you will release the 7th in binaural before the 3rd.

This is really good news indeed!

I am pretty sure there will be a healthier market for binaural DSD 256 than standard stereo or even mch.

I really hope this is the first of many future DSD 256 binaural recordings from Channel Classics.

Bring it on asap please!

I'll be back in Sweden again in about three weeks after my winter in the tropics and will download DSD albums again when I am back on fast and stable connection again back home.

Cheers and thanks Chris.

I hope that my old i7 with 4GB RAM also will play using HQP!

HQPlayer is pretty light on CPU and GPU compared to modern computer games at 2.7k resolution with full details on... :)

For example something like Far Cry 4 or others based on CryEngine or Unreal engine.

Would like to hear more feedback from anyone who has heard this DAC and can compare it to other DACs, especially more expensive ones. Hearing that some users I trust think it might be the best (or at least near the best) DAC out there for DSD playback is intriguing, especially as it is not nearly as expensive as many other high end DACs.

I understand there's been a lot of discussion about how it sounds at DSD 512, but that may not be in the cards for me anytime soon. Any comments on how it sounds at DSD 128 and 256

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Reading this I'm now thinking of upgrading my Lampi with the 512 capable board.

My question to the cpu-versed people here, is my xeon e3 1265lv3 equipped CAPSv4 (cpubenchmark rating of 8770, similar to Ted's 3770S) capable of doing 512 upsampling via HQP? I'm currently upsampling everything to 128 including room correction with 12% average load.

I simulated this by just selecting 512 in HQP which gave me a average CPU load of <50%, is this ok for stutter-free playback?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Sound Galleries Event in Munich next month where I can finally hear the T+A with the SGPC in action.

(Edward, did you have a chance in the meantime to compare Lampi 512 vs the T+A?)

Christoph

Consultant to Taiko Audio

Edward, did you have a chance in the meantime to compare Lampi 512 vs the T+A?

Hi Christoph,

We have not had the chance to hear the Lampi with the DSD 512 module fitted. We are hoping to have a chance after Munich High End in London, where we will be doing a demonstration of the Music Server

Looking forward to seeing you at the DSD 512 May Fest in Munich

Cheers

Edward

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

We have not had the chance to hear the Lampi with the DSD 512 module fitted. We are hoping to have a chance after Munich High End in London, where we will be doing a demonstration of the Music Server

This is going to be an interesting comparison...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hmm, time for an assist from Federal Express? :)

A room at The Show Newport should be an attention getter. In it's new location (Hotel Irvine), The Show Newport was sensational last year.

On the Munich demo, I hear that Jared Sacks will be bringing some of his favorite DSD music from the Native DSD Music store for DSD 512 upsampling. That sounds like fun. Not planning to be at Munich, but looking forward to reports from that event.

Holy cow 7 pages of stuff has happened since I last visited this thread! Have a lot of reading to catch up on, but just so everyone knows, the DAC 8 DSD will be at AXPONA with the AMP 8 in the Marketplace.

I am pretty sure there will be a healthier market for binaural DSD 256 than standard stereo or even mch.

I really hope this is the first of many future DSD 256 binaural recordings from Channel Classics.

Bring it on asap please!

Binaural DSD is interesting over stereo headphones. Not sure it will overtake Multichannel DSD or Stereo DSD as a download format anytime soon.

There are six DSD 64 Binaural DSD Downloads over on Native DSD, one of which (Dreams & Prayers by A Far Cry) is also available in DSD 128 Binaural. You might want to check those out in the meantime. The Misa Criolla on Cobra Records is very effective in Binaural DSD 64 on my system.

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/binaural_dsd_music

Binaural DSD is interesting over stereo headphones. Not sure it will overtake Multichannel DSD or Stereo DSD as a download format anytime soon.

There are six DSD 64 Binaural DSD Downloads over on Native DSD, one of which (Dreams & Prayers by A Far Cry) is also available in DSD 128 Binaural. You might want to check those out in the meantime. The Misa Criolla on Cobra Records is very effective in Binaural DSD 64 on my system.

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/binaural_dsd_music

Thanks Brian but I think I already mentioned the wonderful a Far Cry DSD 128 binaural release. It is since its release one of my absolute favorites both musically and SQ wise.

The Beethoven excerpt from opus 132 is simply heavenly!

Another favourite DSD binaural recordings being the Brahms quartets.

But for those not already aware of those. Strongly recommended!

But I am also looking forward to Mahler's 7th in binaural from Channel Classics and hope it is the beginning of more large scale symphonic music in binaural.

Judging from the many online sites devoted to headphone listening I think there is a so far underestimated market for binaural recordings.

Binaural can be partly faked with crossfeed settings on some Dac heaphone amps like Hugo.But for a true surround and accurate stereo image via headphones, binaural is the most realistic,with classical acoustic recordings where a proper coherent image can only be reproduced realistically with binaural.

Moreover it also solves the often disturbing problems of excessive mulitmiking and phase problems introduced when mixing sometime 20-30 different mics used at recording sessions into a believable coherent image.

For headphone listening binaural is the most accurate and most realistic way to capture and reproduce music.

Thanks Brian but I think I already mentioned the wonderful a Far Cry DSD 128 binaural release. It is since its release one of my absolute favorites both musically and SQ wise.

The Beethoven excerpt from opus 132 is simply heavenly!

Another favourite DSD binaural recordings being the Brahms quartets.

But for those not already aware of those. Strongly recommended!

But I am also looking forward to Mahler's 7th in binaural from Channel Classics and hope it is the beginning of more large scale symphonic music in binaural.

Judging from the many online sites devoted to headphone listening I think there is a so far underestimated market for binaural recordings.

Speaking of A Far Cry in Binaural DSD 128, Native DSD has extended their practice of giving you the lower DSD bit rates on a purchase to their Binaural DSD downloads.

So, if you bought A Far Cry in Binaural DSD 128, you can now download the Binaural DSD 64 version at no added cost.

Holy cow 7 pages of stuff has happened since I last visited this thread! Have a lot of reading to catch up on, but just so everyone knows, the DAC 8 DSD will be at AXPONA with the AMP 8 in the Marketplace.

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to putting on the headphones at AXPONA and giving the DSD 512 demo a listen!

Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to putting on the headphones at AXPONA and giving the DSD 512 demo a listen!

The marketplace may simply be a static display (often they end up like that) or if a working demo (as he mentioned earlier), do we think he will have an HQPlayer-like upsampling or another way of doing DSD512 Brian. Unless I am missing something.

The marketplace may simply be a static display (often they end up like that) or if a working demo (as he mentioned earlier), do we think he will have an HQPlayer-like upsampling or another way of doing DSD512 Brian. Unless I am missing something.

I was told the Marketplace display at AXPONA would have headphones to allow auditioning the DSD 512 system. We'll know for sure later today when it opens.

My point is: I don't think he ever said DSD512. It takes a decently powerful and efficient server to get to 512 cleanly. Hope for the best though. Let me know your impressions; I must miss Axpona this year.