IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

On 9/5/2018 at 1:07 AM, serendipitydawg said:

I confess; I am totally beguiled by wtfplay.

It confounds my innate scepticism that mere software can improve sound With no changes whatsoever to my hifi.

Anyone still using it?

I use it. I like its sound very much, but as I use in on a regular mac mini, which I also use for video, etc. wtf is not very convenient... As an alternative I am using HQPlayer. These two players are very opposite in their approach, but I like both.

2 minutes ago, look&listen said:

Possible to put wtfplay on SD card to boot from & alternate with regular Mini system?  I thought to try it, but not time yet. 

I was trying to make bootable sd card without success. I use bootable usb stick for the same purpose and boot mac mini from it for listening music and then reboot for regular QS.

17 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I was trying to make bootable sd card without success

Too bad, Mini SD card interface quieter then USB. Would complement wtfplay SQ.

19 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I use bootable usb stick for the same purpose and boot mac mini from it for listening music

Thx, will try that (someday).

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, look&listen said:

Too bad, Mini SD card interface quieter then USB. Would complement wtfplay SQ.

Thx, will try that (someday).

that makes no sense!

when you start wtfplay it will be loaded into ram.

you can remove the usb-stick with no Problem.

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

21 minutes ago, shpongle said:

that makes no sense!

when you start wtfplay it will be loaded into ram.

you can remove the usb-stick with no Problem.

Yes, it is so. The only reason I would like to have an opportunity to boot it from a card is to have all USB ports in mac mini available all the time – I use them all to connect other items...)

Sorry, I should have given some more detail.

Pictured is an Acer Revo R3700  which is a fully fledged Windows 7 PC vintage circa 200? (I genuinely can't remember when I bought the first one)

When I got irritated that I couldn't surf the Net & listen to wtfplay simultaneously, I bought another R3700 on eBay for £57. Result !

Part of the elegant simplicity of wtfplay is that there are no apps (not even mouse control !!). Obviously you need a screen and keyboard (R3700 has HDMI)

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin

1 hour ago, serendipitydawg said:

Sorry, I should have given some more detail.

Pictured is an Acer Revo R3700  which is a fully fledged Windows 7 PC vintage circa 200? (I genuinely can't remember when I bought the first one)

When I got irritated that I couldn't surf the Net & listen to wtfplay simultaneously, I bought another R3700 on eBay for £57. Result !

Part of the elegant simplicity of wtfplay is that there are no apps (not even mouse control !!). Obviously you need a screen and keyboard (R3700 has HDMI)

Well, now I see) If I decide to go for separate wtfplayer system, I need such as this plus monitor and keyboard. Thank you.

Didn't expect life in here.  @frd__ hasn't responded to numerous requests for updates.  His home forum has likewise been radio silence.  

Anyways, I dug out the USB drive I had this installed on for the first time in a few months.  It inspired me to leave a message of thanks he may never read.  Couldn't care less if he abandons implementing all the feature requests and refines it to his own private ends.  This is a great piece of software I'm very appreciative he deigned to share with us.  

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, serendipitydawg said:

Fryderck is alive and well. Sure he is only a young fella!   He is very busy in 'real' life issues. Job, home etc.  hence he has had very little time to spend on development over the last while.  I am sure if he gets free time he might implement some more work on WTFPLAY. But it is fairly well developed as is. Don't forget he spent I think nearly three years on and off working on this.  

On the home forum we have met up very infrequently this year and Fryderck didn't get to hear the comparison between computer and sd player when we did actually meet up. That might influence him!  

wtfplay give me the best SQ i know so far.

there is only one Thing i miss, that`s gapless playback!

when i Need gapless i use daphile .

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

The suggested solution is to create a fresh copy of the album, or whatever separate files you wish to make gapless for that matter, that merges them all into a single file using the software of your choice.  So long as you don't create a file larger than available RAM it can be an excellent solution for creating a multiple hour long playlist you wish to revisit.

20 hours ago, tonerei said:

Fryderck is alive and well. Sure he is only a young fella!   He is very busy in 'real' life issues. Job, home etc.  hence he has had very little time to spend on development over the last while.  I am sure if he gets free time he might implement some more work on WTFPLAY. But it is fairly well developed as is. Don't forget he spent I think nearly three years on and off working on this.  

On the home forum we have met up very infrequently this year and Fryderck didn't get to hear the comparison between computer and sd player when we did actually meet up. That might influence him!  

Tonerei, thanks for this news

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 12:59 AM, rando said:

Fryderck, thank you for stopping by to inform us. Your ongoing dedication is much appreciated I assure you!!

@AnotherSpin  @look&listen @bodiebill  @serendipitydawg & everyone they tell whom I missed. :)

Rando, thanks for the name check, which sparked an alert, otherwise I might not have noticed for weeks! Fryderck, good to hear from you! I just fired up wtfplay in celebration. Any news about your experiments in February?