IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

@bodiebill I am guessing that you boot in UEFI mode and the default screen font is too small.

There is no way to change the screen resolution, but you can change the screen font size with setfont command. The fonts are in /usr/share/consolefonts directory. Here is an example of how to change the font to 32 points tall.

setfont /usr/share/consolefonts/ter-u32b.psf.gz

The next release will automatically adjust the screen font size for high resolution screens at boot. The Realtek PCIe card reader driver is in too.

F

3 minutes ago, frd__ said:

@bodiebill I am guessing that you boot in UEFI mode and the default screen font is too small.

Booted in legacy mode and the font is too large 🙂

There is no way to change the screen resolution, but you can change the screen font size with setfont command. The fonts are in /usr/share/consolefonts directory. Here is an example of how to change the font to 32 points tall.

setfont /usr/share/consolefonts/ter-u32b.psf.gz

OK will try that.

The next release will automatically adjust the screen font size for high resolution screens at boot. The Realtek PCIe card reader driver is in too.

Great Fryderyk, thanks for your alertness and for continuously improving an already great player!

audio system

Hi,

i changed TV on which is connected dedicated mini PC with VGA output.

I tried to use VGA to HDMI adapter and could see only BIOS on TV, but not anymore Wtfplayer.

Before TV has PC input, this one has HDMI.

Is any option to see wtfplay again?

@a333bt: It may sound silly, but did you try unplugging the adapter and plugging it again after the system has booted?

I remember having similar issues in a slightly different circumstances. It was a machine with DP output, through DP->HDMI adapter, through HDMI->VGA adapter, into VGA input of a KVM switch. I was getting a blank screen whenever a video output resolution/color depth was changed. Unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI->VGA adapter was always helping. May help in your case too.

Another option worth is trying is changing the boot mode: UEFI vs BIOS mode. It may make a difference.

F

1 hour ago, frd__ said:

@a333bt: It may sound silly, but did you try unplugging the adapter and plugging it again after the system has booted?

I remember having similar issues in a slightly different circumstances. It was a machine with DP output, through DP->HDMI adapter, through HDMI->VGA adapter, into VGA input of a KVM switch. I was getting a blank screen whenever a video output resolution/color depth was changed. Unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI->VGA adapter was always helping. May help in your case too.

Another option worth is trying is changing the boot mode: UEFI vs BIOS mode. It may make a difference.

F

Thanks for reply.

I tried above tips, but it seems not work for me.

This PC works with VGA to HDMI adapter on TV (Ubuntu), only with wtfplayer USB stick i have blank screen.

It seems i have to go for small vga PC monitor. 

On 8/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, LLiu said:

Thanks Frd regarding the USB info, I am putting the USB card option on hold as I am looking into the option of extracting I2S signal from the mobo PCIE lane using Pink Faun I2S bridge. I am wondering would the WTF player support this output at the software level? If not I will go back to the USB option.

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridge/69-4072-i2s-bridge.html#/additional_clock_for_bridge-no/bracket_height-79_2_mm_3_118_inch/compatible_i2s_dac_s-please_select_your_dac

Inspired by Slainte, I tried to boot my server, Supermicro mobo, Xeon 4 cores CPU with 4G Apacer ECC ram, on legacy mode, I found similar differences noticed by Slainte, I just loved the legacy mode boot sound, it brings you closer to the music. As for why it sounds better in my system? that's beyond me ..... 

My Pink Faun I2S bridge (old revision, 2014) works perfectly under Wtfplay. Just one note - this card initialize by Linux from "cold boot" only, but without any restrictions under Windows. I don't know about compatibility of new revision Pink Faun card.

• 1 month later...

@pm325: I have literally zero experience with Focusrite devices and all information based on sources that I was able to find in the internet.

The official statement from the manufacturer is that none of the Focusrite devices are supported under Linux:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208530735-Is-my-Focusrite-Product-compatible-with-Linux-

However, the interface is UAC 2.0 compliant will be detected by the generic USB audio driver, which is included in wtfplay-live. This is what the snd command is telling you. Using this driver for playback may or may not work. More specifically, you may be able to send the audio data to the Focusrite interface without issues, but it does not mean that you may get any analogue audio out.

Apparently Focusrite interfaces require specialized mixer application and are not compatible with alsamixer. It appears that there is some work-in-progress to implement that specific mixer interface in Linux. Please check out the link below.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/focusrite-forte-in-linux-and-a-bit-on-the-scarletts.7582/

I hope that this will help.

F

• 8 months later...

With intervals I keep coming back to WTFPlay. I now have stellar sound running vs 0.7.5 from a NUC in my fuse box with USB to a Mutec reclocker, then a 15m long TosLink to my DAC (ECdesigns Power DAC-R). I just bought a 7' monitor to replace my bulky one. Really happy. Thanks Fryderyk!

audio system

I still use WTFPlay, especially now with PGGB @16fs into Chord Dave.

No issues playing 705/768k files, but the loading of the big files between each track limits use somewhat. Playing long tracks which PGGB splits into multiple files means interruption and general lack of gapless is much more noticeable.

Sounds terrific though.

Thats why i dont use wtfplay anymore! Gapless playback would be possible with full Album load into Ram.

Gapeless playback its one the to Do List for long Time now.....

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

• 1 month later...

Still using wtfplay with pleasure!

Just one thing: when playing native DSD using wtfplay-DSD there is a loud clicking noise after each track. I guess this is my Mutec reclocker + DAC needing to reset.

The same happens when I play native via AlbumPlayer console which I have installed under wtfplay. When I switch to DoP in Album Player there are no clicking noises.

So I thought to switch from wtfplay-DSD to wtfplay as I understand the latter by default uses DoP.

However then the clicking noises remain.

Any advice? 

audio system

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Thanks! I will try to use this in future.

This does not solve it for my existing dsf albums I guess.

Still interesting that Album Player console does not have the problem when playing in DoP mode, so maybe @frd__ has a suggestion?

audio system