IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

Hi,

I would like let you know that I am planing to remove HFS+ file system support in
the next release of wtfplay-live.

HFS+ is the old filesystem for OSX. It has been replaced by Core Storage
(Fusion Drive) in OSX Lion (2011). Core Storage has in turn been replaced by
APFS introduced in OSX High Sierra (2017).

Are there anyone who is running wtfplay-live on a 10+ years old Apple hardware
and be potentially affected this change?

Here is how to check whether HFS+ is used. Run wtfplay-live and type mnt command.
Any storage with HFS+ will have hfsplus in the FS column.

F

Hi Fryderyck,

I'm enthusiast user of wtfplay

I'have a little problem I use wtfplay with barebone asus with spdf out but all time I do unmute spdf with alsamixer this setting is not persistent.

With other linux system I aave created a script in local.d but with wtfplay I not able.

Sorry for my Eng.

Best regards

Stefano

@dankan73: Hi,

I have a few of questions regarding your issue:

* What about other parameters such as the default sound device or command line history? Are they also not saved? Or is it just alsamixer settings?

* what version are you using?

* are you booting from the memory stick?

* do you use the unmodified image?

Sorry for the all this questions - I am trying to establish what is your environment.

F

18 minutes ago, frd__ said:

@dankan73: Hi,

I have a few of questions regarding your issue:

* What about other parameters such as the default sound device or command line history? Are they also not saved? Or is it just alsamixer settings?

* what version are you using?

* are you booting from the memory stick?

* do you use the unmodified image?

Sorry for the all this questions - I am trying to establish what is your environment.

F

Hi thx for reply

I'm using wtfplay-live-0.7.3-core2 original image without modify. Booting from memory stick and yes also alsamixer spdf unmute not saved, other parameter saved correctly , spdf problem unmute it happened with other os linux:  in alsamixer there is two spdf settings spdf_ pcm is active by default but spdf simple is mute by default.

Stefano

4 hours ago, frd__ said:

Thanks.

I understand that alsamixer settings are not preserved. All of them or just SPDIF mute control?

When you type this command:

alsactl -f - store | less

do you see your SPDIF control?

Sorry now it's all ok I have rewrite memory stick with balena, the problem it has done  rufus bad program.
None settings permanent with rufus but i had noted only alsa spdif out.
With rufus partition fort stored settings it is not created

I just created a lot of fuss for nothing

See my post in another thread:

The gist is that I prefer the SQ playing from an Optane nvme drive to playing from a battery powered usb drive, even if the latter is disconnected while playing.

Not that I understand how this could be possible, it does raise the question:

Is there a way to copy files from the main music drive to another drive (in this case the Optane) within wtfplay? I expect no as an answer as for wtfplay drives are read only. But would there be a way (command or future menu option) to achieve this?

audio system

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

Is there a way to copy files from the main music drive to another drive (in this case the Optane) within wtfplay? I expect no as an answer as for wtfplay drives are read only. But would there be a way (command or future menu option) to achieve this?

Hi,

Please follow the example below.

Assumptions:

• /media/sdb1 is the memory stick with the music that I want to play
  • my-music is the directory on the memory stick that I want to copy to my NVMe drive
  • /media/nvme0n1p1 is the NVMe drive that I want to copy the music to

The commands go as follows:

1. Re-mount the NVMe drive in RW mode:
    mount -o remount,rw /media/nvme0n1p1

2. Copy the music directory and its contents recursively (-r):
    cp -r /media/sdb1/my-music /media/nvme0n1p1

3. Re-mount the NVme drive back to RO mode:
    mount -o remount,ro /media/nvme0n1p1

Now the music can be played form NVMe drive from my-music directory.

I hope that this will be helpful.

F

Another idea:

Assumptions:

• I have plenty of RAM - say 8GB+
  • my-music is the directory on that memory stick and it contains the music that I want to play. It's size less than half of RAM, say 3GB

The commands go as follows:m

mkdir /media/ram
cp -r /media/sdb1/my-music /media/ram

Now I can play everything from RAM.

2 hours ago, frd__ said:

Another idea:

Assumptions:

• I have plenty of RAM - say 8GB+
  • my-music is the directory on that memory stick and it contains the music that I want to play. It's size less than half of RAM, say 3GB

The commands go as follows:m

mkdir /media/ram
cp -r /media/sdb1/my-music /media/ram

Now I can play everything from RAM.

Thanks Fryderyk, also works here.

Am I right to understand that this is what wtfplay does all the time in the background, i.e. loading to RAM, with the exception that above method is not limited to one track at the time? If so I would not except a change in SQ, and neither do I hear one.

audio system

3 hours ago, frd__ said:

Hi,

Please follow the example below.

Assumptions:

• my-music is the directory on the memory stick that I want to copy to my NVMe drive
  • /media/nvme0n1p1 is the NVMe drive that I want to copy the music to

The commands go as follows:

1. Re-mount the NVMe drive in RW mode:

mount -o remount,rw /media/nvme0n1p1

2. Copy the music directory and its contents recursively (-r):

cp -r /media/sdb1/my-music /media/nvme0n1p1

3. Re-mount the NVme drive back to RO mode:

mount -o remount,ro /media/nvme0n1p1

Now the music can be played form NVMe drive from my-music directory.

I hope that this will be helpful.

F

Copying to another drive also works here 🙂

Any chance this could be automated via a menu item (f.i. while browsing in wtfcui) in the next release? Playing from my 16GB Optane NVMe drive (without the need to attach a noisy HDD) gives stellar SQ and is more convenient than detaching and attaching a HDD for each track. The above method is a bit laborious though.

More than ever impressed by the elegance/low footprint, versatility and sound quality of this player! Thanks again Fryderyk for the great work!

audio system

39 minutes ago, frd__ said:

@bodiebill: extending wtfcui to be a proper file manager would be a lot of work and I cannot promise anything. At the moment I am still concentrated on shaving of a fat. Not much of it left though :)

No problem. I am getting the hang of the copying, and it is made easier by Linux autocomplete while typing.

Question: does it hurt to leave the NVMe drive in read-write mode when playing?

And if I leave it like that, will it be persistent after reboot?

I know DSD256 is still experimental, so I am happy it plays well here.

Just so you know:

(1) wtfplaylist wtfplay-dsd in my case gives an error with DSD256, after which the music plays anyway.

(2) DSD256 files on the NVMe drive play OK from wtfcui, but when played using wtfplaylist, some peculiar distortion is added.

Good luck with the fat reduction. You have convinced me that for an audio player being anorectic is a good thing 🙂

audio system

On 5/28/2020 at 7:25 PM, bodiebill said:
  • 😐

The above would be nice, but are hardly essential. Of a different order, really my greatest wish: 

• Support for WavPack-DSD. This (amongst other benefits: lossless, reversible, very efficient, tagging friendly, open source) would enable me to vastly reduce the size of my database which is more important now that I also use (costly) cloud storage.

Hello, bodiebill! In case of WavPack-DSD support request you can use the  Aplayer console x64 v2.05 (http://albumplayer.ru/linux/) under Wtfplay OS. Nota bene: you need manually add ELF interpreter to path /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

3 hours ago, pm325 said:

Hello, bodiebill! In case of WavPack-DSD support request you can use the  Aplayer console x64 v2.05 (http://albumplayer.ru/linux/) under Wtfplay OS. Nota bene: you need manually add ELF interpreter to path /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Thanks pm325, Interesting. I have used APlayer under Windows and found it to be a very good player. However, running it under wtfplay somehow feels like sacrilege, especially as wtfplay's minimalism is its strength.

Not even sure whether it is possible? Maybe Fryderyk can comment?

audio system

6 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks pm325, Interesting. I have used APlayer under Windows and found it to be a very good player. However, running it under wtfplay somehow feels like sacrilege, especially as wtfplay's minimalism is its strength.

Not even sure whether it is possible? Maybe Fryderyk can comment?

Firstly, under Windows you most likely used the Aplayer version with GUI. On the contrary, my suggestion - using the console version, which does not contradict the concept of        minimalism. Secondly, these are not theoretical considerations - I managed to run Aplayer  under Wtfplay (in girlhood - Gentoo), although this required a number of obvious steps. 
The first launch with the choice of a playback device led to a segmentation fault, but when it was repeated it worked. If there is interest, I can state it step by step.

To run a typical Linux application (e.g. AP) in wtfplay-live environment you would need to bring along all libraries that this application depends on. Typical Linux applications for PC use glibc, while wtfplay-live is based on musl. Even if the application runs it is not guaranteed that it will perform its function correctly due to its potential dependencies to external programs and/or kernel features. You can try it and see if that works for you.

10 minutes ago, frd__ said:

To run a typical Linux application (e.g. AP) in wtfplay-live environment you would need to bring along all libraries that this application depends on. Typical Linux applications for PC use glibc, while wtfplay-live is based on musl. Even if the application runs it is not guaranteed that it will perform its function correctly due to its potential dependencies to external programs and/or kernel features. You can try it and see if that works for you.

I just copy glibc libraries and ELF interpreter from litest exGENT live DVD. There's nothing special ;)

In PM's I kindly received the step-by-step instructions how to install AP in the wtfplay OS, and it appeared to be really easy and straigthforward. Many thanks to @pm325 !

So now I can finally play wv-DSD files with good SQ. They take some time for AP to unpack and load the result into RAM, but I think that is a good sign as the CPU does its work before (and not during) Play, and I am actually listening to DSD.

The console version of AP seems very minimal (in the good sense of the word) and well-thought out. Fryderyk from Ireland and Igor from Russia seem to be kindred spirits 🙂.

Of course I also compared the sound, aligning wtfplay and AP as much as possible. That is, playing from RAM (AP: fm), same ALSA driver buffer period in frames (AP: pf4096) and same priority (AP: pr5). I must say that I cannot hear any difference, but that may be just me.

One little thing: when playing DSD (64 and upwards) with wtfplay, the start of the track is cut off with a fraction of a second (missing the attack of the first note). I was already used to that, but AP does play it straight from the beginning.

I expect to use both players from hereon, wtfplay mainly for PCM and AP mainly for (wv-)DSD material.

A milestone not unlike when flac made its entrance...

@frd__ Just let me know if you are interested to receive the setup recipe in a PM.

audio system

After making a playlist in wtfcui, the commands

export IFS=$'\n'; wtfplay $(cat $WTFCUI_PLAYLIST_FILE) (or easier, wtfplaylist)

and

export IFS=$'\n'; ./ap $(cat $WTFCUI_PLAYLIST_FILE)

will play the playlist in wtfplay and AP, respectively.

For me this is convenient as AP only lists a maximum of 99 entries per folder, and some of my folders with classical music have more than a thousand. In this respect browsing with wrfplay is easier.

audio system