IGNORED

What source and amplification would you use to drive KEF LS50 speakers?

Ajax

Returning to LS50, for you who haven't searched what it is, from KEF's own YouTube Channel :

From their kef.com...LS50/fact_sheet :

Amplifier requirements = 25 - 100 WSensitivity (2.83V/1m) = 85dB

Nominal impedance = 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)

Dimension (H x W x D with terminal) = 302 x 200 x 278 mm (11.9 x 7.9 x 10.9 in.)

KEF_LS50_finishes_us_ca.jpg

And while searching I saw that hifi-gegler.de deem it fitting to bundle it with my original suggestion of Melody Series, albeit M-CR611 for EUR 1.600 :

ls50_plus_mcr-611-1.p800x600.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Returning to LS50' date=' for you who haven't searched what it is, from [b']KEF[/b]'s own YouTube Channel :

From their kef.com...LS50/fact_sheet :

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Amplifier requirements[/TD]

[TD]= 25 - 100 W[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Sensitivity (2.83V/1m)[/TD]

[TD]= 85dB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Nominal impedance[/TD]

[TD]= 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Dimension (H x W x D)

(with terminal)[/TD]

[TD]= 302 x 200 x 278 mm

(11.9 x 7.9 x 10.9 in.)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

KEF_LS50_finishes_us_ca.jpg

And while searching I saw that hifi-gegler.de deem it fitting to bundle it with my original suggestion of Melody Series, albeit M-CR611 for EUR 1.600 :

ls50_plus_mcr-611-1.p800x600.jpg

Have you any hands on experience of the LS50 and multiple amps?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Anne Elk's Theory on Brontosauruses

But is a Brontosaurus a Brontosaurus or is is not a Brontosaurus...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

As a courtesy I thought I would let you know that we finally decided on the Nuprime ida-8, power DAC as recommended by Alligatorman and Firefox.

NuPrime Audio - IDA-8

It ticked all of our boxes ..... connectivity (USB, optical, coaxial, and bluetooth), simplicity as an integrated unit, ease of use with a decent remote, 100W power, sound quality and price being only $US1K). Unfortunately we have not been able to listen to the combination, however, I have read so many good things about Nuforce on this site (now Nuprime) and their amplification technology so we decided to take a leap of faith. I will let you know how it sounds with the KEFs when it is all set up and they have had some burn in time. This will not be for another couple of months as my nephew's house is still 6 weeks off completion.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to give their 2 cents (bobs) worth. Its been a very enlightening journey and I feel confident that this system at about $2,500k plus cables and MAC source will be a contender for the $3,000 system thread.

FYI I queried the dealer regarding Apple TV issues that were raised on another thread and he advised that's how he uses the unit himself at home and has had no issues.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for everyones help.

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hi All,

As a courtesy I thought I would let you know that we finally decided on the Nuprime ida-8, power DAC as recommended by Alligatorman and Firefox.

NuPrime Audio - IDA-8

It ticked all of our boxes ..... connectivity (USB, optical, coaxial, and bluetooth), simplicity as an integrated unit, ease of use with a decent remote, 100W power, sound quality and price being only $US1K). Unfortunately we have not been able to listen to the combination, however, I have read so many good things about Nuforce on this site (now Nuprime) and their amplification technology so we decided to take a leap of faith. I will let you know how it sounds with the KEFs when it is all set up and they have had some burn in time. This will not be for another couple of months as my nephew's house is still 6 weeks off completion.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to give their 2 cents (bobs) worth. Its been a very enlightening journey and I feel confident that this system at about $2,500k plus cables and MAC source will be a contender for the $3,000 system thread.

FYI I queried the dealer regarding Apple TV issues that were raised on another thread and he advised that's how he uses the unit himself at home and has had no issues.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for everyones help.

Ajax

Actually I think Nuforce is now called Optoma Nuforce and NuPrime is a new company set up by ex Nuforce guys.

Actually I think Nuforce is now called Optoma Nuforce and NuPrime is a new company set up by ex Nuforce guys.

For reference: from NuPrime Audio acquired NuForce high-end product line

Under the leadership of NuForce co-founder and original CEO, Jason Lim, NuPrime has assembled a design team comprised of talented engineers who are expert in audio amplifier and switching-power circuit designs. NuPrime aims to achieve yet greater heights of excellence and value in high-performance audio.

Why do Reference 20 and P-20 still carry the NuForce brand?

Because these products are part of NuForce celebrated history in high-end audio and NuPrime decided to keep them under the same brand name (under licensing agreement with NuForce). Newly developed products will carry the NuPrime brand name.

Are NuPrime and NuForce related?

No. Jason left NuForce to start Heap Venture, a company that creates and manages brands for selective clients. He serves as the CEO of the brands under management.

Is there any plan for V4 and how do you classify the performance of your products?

Traditionally NuForce had used version numbers V1, V2 and V3 for its amplifier technology. NuPrime will continue this tradition and we are happy to announce that V4 technology is under development. In fact, several new version of amplifiers have been developed and used in IDA-16, Reference 20 and ST-10. Instead of being confused by technology, we reserve the Reference classification for the top of the line products. With the introduction of ST-10 stereo amplifier in November, we feel that this class of amplifiers deserve the classification Reference LE, which means "near reference class". Listening test is the only way we use to classify our products, because even though measurement result generally reflect the performance of a product, but it can't guarantee a good sounding product. Over the years, we have developed a process to ensure that our listening tests match expectation of discerning audiophiles.

Regardless of classification, we only produce world class sounding audio products.

Do you use ICEpower or Hypex amplifier modules?

Absolutely not. Most of the audio brands use either one of these two modules for their Class-D power amp. We are one of the very few, if not the only manufacturer that has our own patented technology (US patent #7,221,216 B2 granted in 2007) since 2005. Our high-end Reference 9 won The Absolute Sound Power Amp of The Year award in 2005 and a similar product of the year award by HiVi in Japan in 2007. Over the years we have won many Editor Choice awards. You are buying from a company that proudly does its own R&D.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the clarification Eloise.

• 1 month later...

With respect to Bill (wgscott) this is the funniest thing I've seen on CA. It made me cry (with laughter)!

With respect to Bill (wgscott) this is the funniest thing I've seen on CA. It made me cry (with laughter)!

Ajax, congrats on the purchase. Let us know what you think when it is set up.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Chris, have you considered asking Marantz to sponsor a thread? You have a moderator already available...

marantz.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist posting my own Marantz picture, going along with the theme of the thread...:)

I do admit I lusted after one these receivers with the flywheel tuning in the 70's, but they were too pricey for me. I couldn't even afford the amps. Had to make due with a Kenwood amp.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 4 weeks later...

Quickly, events are falling in place that I'm okay with possibly replying to 2/3 I've named in my Ignore list—which I declared so readers know those I don't publicly spond to (started, you can check the dates, after esldude tried again to engage me after my #51 above).

As I recently said privately to Jud :

Thing was' date=' I felt your mistrust towards me. And I've not the time nor energy to write and argue with you publicly. In short I...

You understand I've no particular ill will for you ?[/quote']

Who's left ? Well, I'm certain the second and third of those named in my Chris Connaker's reminder of « your ignore lists » are hopeless entities (for me but probably not for you).

More details later

«

an accurate picture

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of LS50's, as they were on sale at 25% off. They will be used in a future nearfield/desktop situation and also wondered what type of amp would suit this speaker.

From Stereophile's measurements, here are the conclusions from John Atkinson.

"Somewhat optimistically specified at 8 ohms, the LS50's impedance (fig.1, solid trace) drops to 4 ohms at 200Hz and to 5.4 ohms at the top of the audioband. The electrical phase angle is generally mild, but the combination of 5.3 ohms and –41° at 135Hz, a frequency where music often has high energy, will make the speaker work at its best with a good, 4 ohm–rated amplifier."

If an amp can't drive the 4 ohms, no wonder it sounds thin. If the amplifier can't sustain the 4 Ohm load continuously, then if any peaks require more, a serious chance of clipping is not far away.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of LS50's, as they were on sale at 25% off. They will be used in a future nearfield/desktop situation and also wondered what type of amp would suit this speaker.

From Stereophile's measurements, here are the conclusions from John Atkinson.

"Somewhat optimistically specified at 8 ohms, the LS50's impedance (fig.1, solid trace) drops to 4 ohms at 200Hz and to 5.4 ohms at the top of the audioband. The electrical phase angle is generally mild, but the combination of 5.3 ohms and –41° at 135Hz, a frequency where music often has high energy, will make the speaker work at its best with a good, 4 ohm–rated amplifier."

If an amp can't drive the 4 ohms, no wonder it sounds thin. If the amplifier can't sustain the 4 Ohm load continuously, then if any peaks require more, a serious chance of clipping is not far away.

Haven't heard it but the Schiit Ragnarok is getting rave reviews:

Schiit Audio Ragnarok integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

With the KEF LS50 speakers: Listening to Red Norvo's beautifully recorded Just Friends, with the Bucky Pizzarelli Trio (LP, Stash DST230), not only put me in a carefree mood, it showed me how much I'd underestimated the virtues of the KEF LS50s ($1499.99/pair). Folks, I know I sound like a skipping LP, but you can't hear a speaker without an amp, and a good speaker will sound unsubtly different with every amp you connect it to. The pairing of Ragnarok and LS50s played Norvo & Co.'s light jazz with cheerful, articulate, supersweet abandon. Norvo's vibraphone emitted pulsing spheres of glowing energy. This wasn't a ringing, or a tubey halo—just the singular, full-bodied sound of vibes setting the air in my room into shivering harmonic motion. This super-vivid recording of the 75-year-old Norvo delivered the juiciest euphonic tones I have experienced since my return to audio—a euphony I would not characterize as coloration. Why? Because, in the case of this recording by Norvo, guitarist Pizzarelli, pianist Russ Kassoff, and bassist Jerry Bruno, everything felt just right. The Norse Apocalypse moved the music along, keeping each note steadfast, fresh, and engagingly clear.Conclusion 1: The Schiit Audio Ragnarok plus KEF LS50s ($1299) is the most enjoyable stereo system I've used in the 21st century.

Haven't heard it but the Schiit Ragnarok is getting rave reviews:

Schiit Audio Ragnarok integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

With the KEF LS50 speakers: Listening to Red Norvo's beautifully recorded Just Friends, with the Bucky Pizzarelli Trio (LP, Stash DST230), not only put me in a carefree mood, it showed me how much I'd underestimated the virtues of the KEF LS50s ($1499.99/pair). Folks, I know I sound like a skipping LP, but you can't hear a speaker without an amp, and a good speaker will sound unsubtly different with every amp you connect it to. The pairing of Ragnarok and LS50s played Norvo & Co.'s light jazz with cheerful, articulate, supersweet abandon. Norvo's vibraphone emitted pulsing spheres of glowing energy. This wasn't a ringing, or a tubey halo—just the singular, full-bodied sound of vibes setting the air in my room into shivering harmonic motion. This super-vivid recording of the 75-year-old Norvo delivered the juiciest euphonic tones I have experienced since my return to audio—a euphony I would not characterize as coloration. Why? Because, in the case of this recording by Norvo, guitarist Pizzarelli, pianist Russ Kassoff, and bassist Jerry Bruno, everything felt just right. The Norse Apocalypse moved the music along, keeping each note steadfast, fresh, and engagingly clear.Conclusion 1: The Schiit Audio Ragnarok plus KEF LS50s ($1299) is the most enjoyable stereo system I've used in the 21st century.

I read that same review and found it very interesting. Would love to hear that combination given the description of the synergy. A system as good as he comments would be a steal for the cost.

JC

My chain to drive my LS50's is in my signature and I think it has pretty good synergy. On my desktop they are about 4 feet apart and 4 feet from my head with the tweeters at ear level and crossing over about a foot behind my head for good imaging effect. With them pointing more directly at me, I lose the depth and imaging. The Halo has 160 watts into 8ohms and 240 into 4ohms so it is not lacking any power for the LS50's. It also has a built in DAC that really isn't too bad, and I would suppose some would be content with it, without using an outboard DAC, but once I heard what the PS Audio can do I was hooked on it.

"If you don't dig the blues you got a hole in your soul" - Albert King

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks again to those who contributed their ideas and suggestions.

As previously advised we settled on the Nuprime Ida-8 to drive the KEF LS50s. The system is now installed in my nephew's house with the speakers seated on a credenza either side of a LED TV. They are about 7' apart and 7-8' from the listening position.... approximately equilateral triangle.

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/integrated-amps/ida-8.html

Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers - LS50 - Overview - KEF International

The speakers and the Nuprime amp both look really "slick" .... very contemporary and minimalistic. The build quality on both the amp and the speakers is exceptional and add to the decor of the house. Very spouse friendly and either a Mac mini or Auralic mini as sources would complement the set up. We purchased the Nuprime in black and the LS50s in gloss black with the gold speaker cones.

After some shopping around the total cost of the system was $A3,000, which converts to around $US2,300, If you include a source and cables then total cost would be around the $US3,000 mark. Not a lot of money for this level of build and technology.

An Apple TV is connected to the optical input and satellite TV to the coaxial.

I have not had the opportunity to conduct serious listening tests (my nephew is still finishing off his house), however, initial impressions using Spotify on a iPhone via the bluetooth connection was very positive. The bluetooth sounds surprisingly good and my concern over the ability of the Nuprime to drive the KEFs, after some comments from contributors to this thread on how inefficient they are, have been alleviated. The listening area is such a small space it can drive them to uncomfortable levels without a hint of distortion. Bass appears to be more than adequate.

I will take my laptop over on the weekend and play some hi res 24/96 and 24/192 and ripped CDs using Audirvana as the player via USB into the integrated DAC within the amp and let you know my impressions.

Thanks again everyone for your recommendations especially those that bought Nuprime to my attention.

All the best,

Ajax

Unfortunately we have not been able to listen to the combination, however, I have read so many good things about Nuforce on this site (now Nuprime) and their amplification technology so we decided to take a leap of faith.

Interesting, anyone else wants to share their own or a friend's « leap of faith » episode ?

Incidentally, since school days, I always remember first Gloucester in Act 4, scene 6...

No, certainly not All's Well That Ends Well

«

an accurate picture

Interesting' date=' anyone else wants to share their own or a friend's « leap of faith » episode ?[/font']

Incidentally, since school days, I always remember first Gloucester in Act 4, scene 6...

No, certainly not All's Well That Ends Well

Well, if I understand you correctly: I took a "leap of faith" in a sense with my "computer speakers", a pair of Elac Debut B6's. I never heard them but based on positive reviews I purchased them, and it worked out quite well - they exceeded my expectations. Of course, at these prices (I think they retail for $279 pair in U.S.) it's not much of a leap... ;)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

That's part of what I'm interested in, « expectations » are nebulous unless defined ? And you had other loudspeakers before purchasing ? What would people expect of speakers (and indeed Hi-Fi) if they've never owned any before ? Are you surprised by the many confessions of 'new to audiophile [mindset, equipment selection]' in the forums ? And some of the advice they get...

I purchased them, and it worked out quite well - they exceeded my expectations.

«

an accurate picture