IGNORED

What source and amplification would you use to drive KEF LS50 speakers?

Ajax

Doubling power to speakers only results in 30% increase in volume (SPL). IMO get the best sounding amp with enough inputs in your price range as opposed to one with a few more watts.

Doubling the power will give a 3db increase in SPL. Doubling the power in more for controlling the speaker with grip and dynamics. SPL's equal, the more power (or current) you feed these speakers, the more lively and more energy and control they will deliver.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

My current thinking is... Integrated AMP with built in DAC like the Marantz PM 7005, which produces 60 watts and a decent DAC, with USB, optical nd coaxial inputs.

Marantz_PM7005_Inputs.jpg

Aside form measurements of « continuous » RMS, they've improved the « momentary current » in their 005 suffixed iterations...

Recalling these Marantz graphs' date=' from one generation to the next, of [/font']« momentary current » capability :

pm8005_3.jpg

SPL's equal, the more power (or current) you feed these speakers, the more lively and more energy and control they will deliver.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

This marantz dac/amp has just been released.

Marantz US | HD-AMP1

You could add an aries mini at a later date for higher quality streaming than the apple TV can provide

The Marantz amp is a stable amp, but it will not have enough amperage to drive the LS 50 speaker to it's potential. 35 wpc into 8ohms and 70 into 4ohms will play music, but it's not enough to drive the KEF's.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

The Marantz [HD-AMP1's] not enough to drive the KEF's.

Is your verdict from having already auditioned ?

Quoting from Andrew Everard—who had :

Exceeding expectations

10_535x800.jpg

And the HD-AMP1 is more than up to the task of exceeding expectations' date=' as it demonstrated when used with the big Bowers & Wilkins speakers: it really shouldn’t have worked, but it not only drove the 803 D3s, but did so in an entirely convincing fashion, whether with the fine detail of solo or small-ensemble classical music, or pounding or rock with all its impact intact.

Not that you need to go as far as the big floorstanders from Worthing to hear what the HD-AMP1 can do: I had good results when using it with much more affordable floorstanders, in the form of the long-discontinued PMC GB1 speakers, some high-quality compact speakers I have on-site for review at the moment, and even the little Neat Iotas I use as my desktop loudspeakers.

[img']http://www.stereosound.co.jp/news/article/2015/11/04/news_151104_marantz_02.jpg[/img]

In fact, whatever you choose to drive with it, the Marantz shines, and it’s also more than capable of revealing the benefits of stepping up through the choice of hi-res files on offer out there, as was apparent when comparing DSD64 and DSD128 versions of the same track, and even the very few DSD256 files I have in my library.

Played through the Bowers & Wilkins speakers in particular, the HD-AMP1 just delivers more presence and sparkle as you move up through the DSD spectrum, but it’s also entirely convincing both when used with more modest speakers and when playing files at standard CD resolution. This is an amplifier you can buy with confidence for your current music collection, knowing it has the wherewithal to handle whichever direction your purchases may take you in the future.

Just occasionally I come across a product beyond the extremely good and well into truly special territory – having used the HD-AMP1 for a while now, I’m convinced the Marantz team has done it again. Compact it may be, but this amplifier has definite giant-killing ability, and is one of the most convincing products in its sector this side of £1000, if not beyond...

Plus, this January 9, 2016 Comment under AE's review :

I mean, the sound of the HD-AMP1 is MUCH better than the PM8005.

Now I could test it with a pair of KEF LS50 against an Arcam A49 [with a massive 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 400 into 4 ohms. It delivers 50 watts in pure class A mode] – you wont [sic] believe, but i prefere [sic] the HD-AMP1 from marantz again !

Regards from Germa[n]y,

Ul

Which country are you ? Well, mine, New Zealand has low-priority for Marantz shipments—I won't be able to audition it until...

«

an accurate picture

The Marantz amp is a stable amp, but it will not have enough amperage to drive the LS 50 speaker to it's potential. 35 wpc into 8ohms and 70 into 4ohms will play music, but it's not enough to drive the KEF's.

My experience is similar with these speakers. I have observed a real 150 wpc amp with limited current do less than great. Sound was okay. While a hefty 200 wpc MOSFET amp handled them well and made the sound much more inviting. One of the large Bel Canto amps did fine too.

I suspect it is the relatively low impedance with large phase angle and low efficiency combining to make this so as seen in the measurements JA did. It sits right near where much music calls for plenty power.

Now I haven't heard this done. In my mind this speaker cries out for a subwoofer. If you relieved the speaker and its driving amp of the low end, you might get away with a modest 75 wpc amp which saves money toward the woofer. Even a relatively inexpensive woofer might help enough to be big benefit. This speaker sounds great, but I do get the feeling it is always on the verge of just barely enough. A good sub on it would likely make it great and able to play in a big way with aplomb.

KEF LS50 Anniversary Model loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

So something like a 100 or 125 wpc amp with plenty of current reserves would be fine most likely. I can even a imagine there might be 70-80 wpc amps with good power supplies that would work okay. It isn't like the other amps won't play, you will not get the best they have to offer though.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks all for everyone's thoughts and alternatives.

Based on what I've read here most seem to feel he LS50s need a bit more power than the average speaker to shine. It appears that I will need to encourage my nephew to increase his budget for the front end.

We need a source that can play local files and also stream so I am considering either a

1. Apple TV + pre/dac + power amp combination

2. Aural Mini + power amp

I recently purchased a 5b year old second hand Parasound Halo A23 power amp (125W) i saw on eBay for only US$200 and wanted to keep it for myself but I think that combine with say a used Benchmark DAC1 or a iFi Micro( alternatively an Auralic Mini) should do the trick.

Any other thoughts?

1. ATV has no place in an audio system, it sounds baad.

2. I'd go with Mini plus DAC pre + Halo A23 and get cheaper speakers than LS50...remember garbage in garbage out.

Wilhelm,The B&W 803 D3s are 90db efficient and 8ohms. An easy speaker to drive. The LS50 is known to be a power hungry speaker. I can promise you that 35wpc is NOT going to drive the speakers to there potential.

With all due respect,I also find your opinion on Marantz to be skewed. It seems that you don't make a post without shilling the product. I'm surprised it's allowed on this site.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

Entity calling itself JW Audio, you're but a shadow of your real self ; your verisimilitudes, shadow's shadow of practicality.

You write of what you've not tested, nor studied (see also #112 and #123).

And anchoring your latest contempt, disrespecting Chris by feigning surprise—implying his dereliction as site owner and that you-know-better how...

«

an accurate picture

And anchoring your latest contempt, disrespecting Chris by feigning surprise—implying his dereliction as site owner and that you-know-better how...

Speaking of Chris, where should he send the bill for all the Marantz advertising ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Wilhelm,The B&W 803 D3s are 90db efficient and 8ohms. An easy speaker to drive. The LS50 is known to be a power hungry speaker. I can promise you that 35wpc is NOT going to drive the speakers to there potential.

With all due respect,I also find your opinion on Marantz to be skewed. It seems that you don't make a post without shilling the product. I'm surprised it's allowed on this site.

Entity calling itself JW Audio, you're but a shadow of your real self ; your verisimilitudes, shadow's shadow of practicality.

Hi Wilhelm,

JW Audio's post was not disrespectful to you IMO and did not warrant your response.

Before you also get upset with me please understand that I (and many others here at CA) appreciate your enthusiasm for Marantz products. I have listened to them for over 40 years since my older brother bought home a 1066 amp in 1975 and I recently purchased the PM 6005. Marantz make great stuff.

Having said that the point of this Forum for me, and most others, is to learn about audio theory and new products as well as enjoy a bit of banter and camaraderie. Your continual promotion of only Marantz products has now come to saturation point and in the vast majority of your 400 posts since going CA you are simply repeating yourself. Also if someone disagrees with you, or asks that you tame your obsession with Marantz, you become hostile and defensive.

I would therefore ask that you use this forum to further your own education into what other products are available and to also respect those people who challenge or disagree with your opinions.

Please take 24 hours to consider what I have written before responding as I'm simply trying to help you see what others see.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

If you, as entity Ajax, have the gall to flippantly reduce my « 400 posts » to « of only Marantz products » then you « take 24 hours to consider what I have [really] written before... »

Do you not perceive that most of CA are « simply repeating [it]self » ? And you want me to be similar to you and your ilk ??

Hi Wilhelm,

JW Audio's post was not disrespectful to you IMO and did not warrant your response.

Before you also get upset with me please understand that I (and many others here at CA) appreciate your enthusiasm for Marantz products. I have listened to them for over 40 years since my older brother bought home a 1066 amp in 1975 and I recently purchased the PM 6005. Marantz make great stuff.

Having said that the point of this Forum for me, and most others, is to learn about audio theory and new products as well as enjoy a bit of banter and camaraderie. Your continual promotion of only Marantz products has now come to saturation point and in the vast majority of your 400 posts since going CA you are simply repeating yourself. Also if someone disagrees with you, or asks that you tame your obsession with Marantz, you become hostile and defensive.

I would therefore ask that you use this forum to further your own education into what other products are available and to also respect those people who challenge or disagree with your opinions.

Please take 24 hours to consider what I have written before responding as I'm simply trying to help you see what others see.

All the best,

Ajax

«

an accurate picture

To the entity calling itself JW Audio, you appear to be an entity that does not believe flowery ambiguous prose will cheat the laws of physics and transcend reality. Tisk, tisk tisk, entity JW Audio.

You are just my kind of entity though. :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hi Wilhelm,

All the best,

Ajax

Looks like he used 24 minutes. Close enough to 24 hours I guess.

Do you not perceive that most of CA are « simply repeating [it]self » ? And you want me to be similar to you and your ilk ??

No' date=' no, he wants you to be similar to his [u']elk[/u]:

Bull-67_bugle-web.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

No, no, he wants you to be similar to his elk:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23971[/ATTACH]

[video=youtube;SII-jhEd-a0]

There is a moose mentioned here. Is that similar enough to an elk to be part of the same ilk?

[video=youtube;SII-jhEd-a0]

There is a moose mentioned here. Is that similar enough to an elk to be part of the same ilk?

They also mention llamas at the end. Looks like a good show - alpaca lunch!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.