IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

iFi sells a 9V power supply for around 50 USD. I haven't used it(and I don't have a Recovery - yet). In any event, if a 50 dollar power supply makes sense for you for a 250 dollar device(250 is the msrp though the Recovery is selling now for 200), then go for it. Of course, if you already own a JS-2 then you're one lucky audiophile!

BTW, for Richard to "properly"(i.e., to his satisfaction) test the Regen in line with the Recovery he would need another Curious cable, albeit a short one.

Esau

Hello Esau,

Are you referring to the possibility of employing the Regen and Recovery in tandem? If so, I am aware it would require another CRL200mm. And, thank you anyway for the prompt. If I should entertain such a configuration, I might settle temporarily for one of the lesser desirable connectors to gauge whether it is efficacious/practical to do so. Then if it's a winning combination rather than a standalone configuration, I would not hesitate to contact Rob Woodland for a CRL200mm repeat.

BTW: I have heard about the iFi 9V PS, but having no direct experience with it, was reluctant to suggest that as one choice for Spencer. Thank you for offering a possible solution for Spencer.

Always appreciate when help is offered at the thread in response to a member's need.

Best,

Richard

Since Richard is using his UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS with the same cable as he used with his Regen, the power connection must be wired with the same polarity. I think he should be able to confirm this to remove any further uncertainty you may have.

Can anyone confirm if the Recovery uses a center positive DC connector?

Hello jrsub and Bill,

I gather post #94 isn't sufficient to answer your question. Bill is correct. I am using DC1 output of the JS-2 set to 9V to power the Recovery. I employed the same coax cable to power the Regen. While the Mean Well SMPS was rated at 7.5V and the supplied SMPS from W4S is rated at 9V, I chose 9V to power the Regen which sounded better to me than either 7.5 or 7.

I do not know what a center positive DC connector means. EJ confirmed to me that the JS-2, DC1 set to 9V was fine to power his Recovery USB Reclocker.

Best,

Richard

Be nice to see a Regen, Recovery and Intona comparison.

Hello earflappin,

That comparison would not work for this thread which is devoted to the Recovery. I plan to do a comparison between Recovery and Regen as I own both and have experience with both. Presently, I am employing the Recovery exclusively. It is difficult not to refer to the Regen in passing though. But a formal comparison will require a new thread so as to keep this thread exclusively about the Recovery.

I also imagine there will be posts that will appear at the Regen threads in time.

The comparison I intend between the Recovery and Regen will arrive at a new thread, otherwise, this Recovery thread will turn into a different thread than the one I started; and I don't wish that to occur here.

There's no reason why you can't start your own thread and organize it as you wish. I do not plan to compare the Intona as I decided not to purchase one given a post I read at another thread that informed us to update firmware one must return the unit to Gerrmany as it requires the unit to be opened and reprogrammed.

I am sure there will be interest in a three-way comparison.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

Tomorrow, after four days of non-stop play through the Recovery USB Reclocker (RUR) I will have 100+ hours of playtime on the RUR. Though EJ recommends breakin at ~50 hours, I wanted double fifty hours before reviewing the RUR. I already have 200+ hours on the Full Loom of CC08m/CRL200mm. I also intend to review the RUR with the LightSpeed.

I will want to compare the RUR with the Regen USB especially as both devices are designed for the improved delivery of signal integrity, impediance matching and, therefore, improved sonic quality.

But if I post a comparison of the RUR and the Regen in this thread, my concern is, to be consistent, comparisons of two products invite comparisons of a third related product which then invites more subject matter that takes this thread into a different realm of references. The thread's focus on the RUR will devolve into a free for all that would take the thread in a different direction. So,

To be clear, earflappin's suggestion for a three-way comparison is a good one. It' s a better one for another thread so that this thread maintains its focus on the RUR.

For those interested in a review of the Recovery while you wait for the delivery of your order or would benefit from a member's (me) offer of his (my) experience, tune in after tomorrow. And,

Member's interested in sharing their experience of the RUR with information about their system's configuration and connections, please post here.

Thank you for your attention.

Best,

Richard

Spent a little while looking at 9 volt power supplies. The pictures shown of the wallwart, that comes with the W4S Recovery, looks a whole lot like the new iFi power supply. This unit is touted to be very low noise, yada yada, and goes for 45 USD or so. TeraDak has a unit that might work for about 160 USD on ebay.

I will probably stick with the supplied power supply for now (if/when my Recovery ships), since I don't already own a 995 USD JS-2 at this point.

Once everything burns in and stabilizes, I might play with cables some.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Spent a little while looking at 9 volt power supplies. The pictures shown of the wallwart, that comes with the W4S Recovery, looks a whole lot like the new iFi power supply. This unit is touted to be very low noise, yada yada, and goes for 45 USD or so. TeraDak has a unit that might work for about 160 USD on ebay.

I will probably stick with the supplied power supply for now (if/when my Recovery ships), since I don't already own a 995 USD JS-2 at this point.

I'm currently using this less expensive 9v Teradak with my Remedy. I can't vouch how it might compare to the more expensive units (but it works).

http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64

Hello Bones13,

Welcome to the thread.

Thank you for the information on affordable power supply. Although I had a rash reaction to the SMPS supplied, I have a different perspective now, and regret speaking out before sorting it out. The SMPS once fitted properly with the USA part that snaps in place, feels more substantial that I allowed in my description. So it is understandable that one would not only trust EJ's choice, but give it a go.

I have the JS-2, and I hope member's understand that for me, it involved removing the Regen and the DC1 coax cable (custom built) and inserting into the Recovery. Fit is perfect.

Other members have asked about alternatives to the SMPS supplied. The information you provide that I have read about but have no experience with could be helpful.

With appreciation,

Richard

I'm currently using this less expensive 9v Teradak with my Remedy. I can't vouch how it might compare to the more expensive units (but it works).

TeraDak U9VA Linear Low noise Power Supply

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the link. Clicked on link to view the unit which is listed for $44. I also have no experience with the unit, but you do, and I take it you're not experiencing anything negative or you wouldn't reference it.

Perhaps, members who receive their RUR will give the included SMPS a go. If so, give us a where you went (smile).

Best,

Richard

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the link. Clicked on link to view the unit which is listed for $44. I also have no experience with the unit, but you do, and I take it you're not experiencing anything negative or you wouldn't reference it.

Perhaps, members who receive their RUR will give the included SMPS a go. If so, give us a where you went (smile).

Best,

Richard

You'll note it also has a 5v USB output which I thought could power my Chromecast Audio. That didn't work out, the CCA had intermittent cut outs using it. The 9v output no problem.

Can anyone confirm if the Recovery uses a center positive DC connector?

W4S confirmed that they use center positive DC connector on the Recovery. The reason I asked was that I was looking at the ifi iPower to use with the Recovery and they indicated in their literature that a polarity converter (supplied) would need to be used if the connector was center negative. I found the ifi claims of 1 uV noise vs the Wyred wart of 13 uV interesting and worth a try.

W4S confirmed that they use center positive DC connector on the Recovery. The reason I asked was that I was looking at the ifi iPower to use with the Recovery and they indicated in their literature that a polarity converter (supplied) would need to be used if the connector was center negative. I found the ifi claims of 1 uV noise vs the Wyred wart of 13 uV interesting and worth a try.

Hello jrsub,

That was my best guess. Sorry I am don't know about center positive DC connector. And thank you for following through with a confirmation from the source. Always best when the source confirms.

The same may be said about the uV specifications. Now I want to look at the specifications of my JS-2 LPS just for the heck of it. That information was not found at the UpTone Audio website for the JS-2 specifications.

If you feel the iFi iPower has a distinct advantage with a lower noise floor, i.e. Is 1 versus 13 uV significant in actual use(?) then members may choose that power supply if it meets their needs.

Thank you for the information.

Best,

Richard

You'll note it also has a 5v USB output which I thought could power my Chromecast Audio. That didn't work out, the CCA had intermittent cut outs using it. The 9v output no problem.

Good feedback. Yes, 9V seems to be the magic number for me too. Except for 12V for my Mac Mini.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

I have it on good authority (initials are EJ) that a member who has already place his/her order for the RUR may rely on the following:

"...please note that we are shipping units on a first come - first serve basis starting tomorrow."

Needless to say, I did not pin EJ down to any order schedule, i.e. Where one is located on the first come-first serve list of orders by order number. I gather one can consider when the order was place and then guess to the cows come home where one is on that list. But the good news is that in less than a week after the delinquent supplier caught up with the parts, W4S will start shipping orders as fast as they can along with their apologies for the delay. I'd say that was admirable of W4S.

Off topic: I remember waiting a month for my upgraded STP-SE Stage 2 which lay on a shelf at the W4S factory waiting for the parts supplier to fix his broken-down lathe that required a part from Japan in order to resume making the correct lucite window for my upgraded preamp. Excuses galore from the supplier, who, I imagine, was losing business as well as putting EJ behind and me without my upgraded preamp. So, even though I offered to wait, as I related earlier, EJ dropped everything and got on his lathe and made me a lucite display window and shipped me my upgraded preamp with the only green lucite display window fabricated by EJ Sarmento. (I guess you had to be there...smile).

So to all those waiting on their RUR to be delivered, get ready for tomorrow. Hopefully a wave of raves will inundate this thread, so I predict. I'll have 100+ hours by tomorrow. Followed by a detailed review. You may predict what I have to say in advance.

Good fortune with your RUR on its way as of tomorrow and after configuring your system. Please post your findings, if you care to when you are able.

Best,

Richard

Update:

Hello All:

Shipping the Recovery USB Reclocker on a first come - first serve basis commences on Tuesday. I left out an important detail that will be helpful. An email with your invoice and tracking number will follow. Wish I had included this in my earlier post.

While a member may not know where on the first come-first serve list order they are, at least the arrival of the email with invoice and tracking number will alert you that your RUR is on it way and when one may expect delivery.

Best,

Richard

And, frankly, Part 2, I don't understand the reasons for Alex Crespi's comments to me about using the JS-2 and how exclusive it is compared to other LPS.

Hi Richard.

My reasons are thusly:

1) Many people are interested in a comparison between the REGEN and the new Recovery;

2) While both devices use an external AC>DC power supply, they also both have important power regulation circuits and systems inside of them;

3) Using our premier LPS to power and review the Recovery is a bit like reviewing a new car by immediately filling it with jet fuel and putting racing tires on it. That's fine, but how does it perform in the real world with the tires and fuel it came with?;

4) While I know you gave the REGEN the same advantage afforded by the JS-2, the power networks and regulation inside our respective USB hub devices are more fairly evaluated by powering them with either the SMPS units they came with, or with a more modest LPS that someone is likely to use.

5) It think the above is why others seemed to echo my comment.

None of this is meant in the least to take away from the service you are offering both the forum readers or the fine folks at Wyred4Sound. And I both:

a) respect your stated position to decline to evaluate the units with their stock SMPS units;

b) don't expect that your general conclusion of preference between the two models would change even if you did run them both on either their stock SMPS or a modest LPS. (Though I bet our chosen Mean Well 22W unit will result in better sound from either REGEN/Recovery than with their wall wart.)

Despite my obvious commercial interest, I assure you my suggestions on this matter are as much motivated by seeing the interests of the forum members served. It is okay though, soon enough more people will possess and report on the Recovery and the host of other similar devices that are being brought to market (funny, even Light Harmonic is jumping in with a pre-announced USB "regenerator"; it's not on one of their crowd-fleecing campaigns, but their promised March date gave me a chuckle--yet to be fair, they did not say March of which year ;)).

Anyway, we are here with our friends and supporters for the long haul, and very shortly with announce an exciting new trick that might just leapfrog a lot of this.

Thank you so much Richard for your kind support of UpTone and the even-keeled and fair way you have presented things.

By no means do we possess any exclusivity or patents on the market-space of USB signal regeneration--heck we were not even first to market, that honor goes to the Schiit Wyrd--and I have no sour grapes about competitive products.

Rather John Swenson and I are grateful for the ridiculous success of the past 9 months with the REGEN, and we are proud to have been the ones to really wake up not just audiophiles, but also many DAC designers, to the sonic benefits of improving USB signal integrity and impedance match just before the DAC's input.

There are forums and circles on the internet were armchair engineers continued to deride the whole premise of the REGEN and like devices, insisting that the reports are all just mass delusion. Thankfully, most here at CA--and at many other forums around the world--are using their ears and personal connection to what music should sound and feel like, to tell them that this is quite real.

Sorry for intruding in your thread. I'm hoping my Recovery arrives this week as well. Always fun to look and see how others do things differently. :)

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex, first and foremost I haven't seen the word "thusly" used in quite some time and I applaud you. Secondly, you are such a class act! I bet I'm not the only one here who appreciates your approach. Lastly, like you I appreciate Richard's honest and heartfelt desire to help the CA community. We are fortunate to have both of you here. Peace.

Hi Richard,

Any chance you can run the Regen in tandem with the RUR? Ie, the Regen feeding the RUR.

It would be interesting to hear if there is any benefit in doing this.

Many Thanks,

Albert

Hello Albert,

Welcome to the thread.

I am not soliticiting posts for an against what to do in terms of what to use to accomplish test a tandem arrangement with the Regen and the Recovery.

I would be willing to test such a configuration, but I would not be willing to purchase a second CRL200mm just for that purpose. I will accept either the hard adapter or the supplied USB Cable 6" with the Regen to the Recovery and the CRL200mm between the Recovery and the W4S Dac2 DSDse.

I will be posting my review of the RUR tomorrow first, before a tandem report. And before a comparison with the Recovery and the Regen at the new thread I started for that purpose.

Best,

Richard