IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Cool. Always happy to be the catalyst for positive change.

(The W4S page is already corrected.)

Thanks for getting right on this, Richard.

Hello David,

I am impressed with the manner and tone of your communication about an inconsistency you called attention to that contributes to a climate of positive change and innovation for the better. As Humans-in-Training, we all make mistakes from time to time.

My definition of Change is as follows: Change is a process of separating out what needs to be separated and combining what needs to be combined.

I love that this particular thread and many others, and Chris Connacker's CA Forum as a Whole, is a resource for CA members (and readers throughout the world) to glean reliable information, consisting of details and findings, about a product of interest members employ in real time with a variety of system configurations and connections.

The synergy for change supports each other along the way and, in this case, the designer and innovator, EJ Sarmento, of the Reccovery who benefited from and is grateful to us for a correction that started with your notice of and forwarded by me alerting EJ.

In my opinion, the Recovery contributes a discernible change (that synergy again) in sonic signature quality, significant and enhanced, like no other of the similar devices recently arriving. Granted, I have no experience with the Revive and the Intona USB Isolator. For that index of comparisons, I started another thread, where one can compare any of the similar devices. Again it's orientation is devoted to findings and not measurements to validate those findings. I understand many members are interested in measurements, and the composition of the design that creates the outcome. Fine and dandy. Just not here or there. Start your own thread.

My role as curator of the thread has an outcome that promotes the thread as a resource for posts which focus exclusively on the topic so that members do not have to shift through the litter of off-topic (often interesting) stream of consciousness. It's not an arbitrary fiat for its own sake. PMs provide members with a channel to delve into collateral/tangential matters of interest. And, once again, one is always free to start their own thread and post to their heart's content.

When audio.bill recommended I start a new thread exclusively devoted to the Recovery for a centralized locus of pertinent information, findings and assessments, how-to, what-to-do, I did not waste a moment. And, thankfully, an email to EJ Sarmento, the designer/innovator and founder of Wyred4Sound, will result in a response I can communicate for the most part to share with the members.

I may be regarded as a subjectivist because the topic focus is on findings predominantly which involves sensory specific feedback (and not measurements per se) as a pathway to the enjoyment of music. My intention is to avoid the complexities of what measurements introduces to a thread, not to exclude them arbitrarily. Again, one is free to start a thread with the orientation one chooses.

What specific change a device contributes to the enjoyment of music involves not only what "it" sounds like; it also includes what it feels like. How to measure one's feelings about the delivery of the enjoyment of music?

I realize this post is lengthy (what else is new for me?). It helps to clarify what the threads intends, how that intention is supported by me, and what one can do if outside the topic's parameters.

One last comment which is is pertinent to this thread's pathway: Some members have expressed an interest in how EJ Sarmento accomplishes technically what our findings evidences as a change in sonic quality. I get how important that information is for members who pose questions to elicit that information. Not here, but valid nevertheless.

As a bridge for those members to the specific technical information desired, I emailed EJ Sarmento and posed one member's inquiry that included qualifications on the information he felt would be encourage a response as opposed to requesting information readily regarded as proprietary that no designer (that I know of) would give away. The request from sdolezalek which appears at the comparison thread I started was communicated verbatim. EJ's response is that while one can visit his website and gather information at the "more information" page for example, the W4S Dac2 DSDse, those features are readily communicated. But to enter into the specifics of the design and the "how-he-does-it" was not a option EJ will exercise. He indicated that professional reviewers are always engaging him in revealing how he designs. I do not fault EJ for not feeling comfortable to unpack the Recovery's design and the synergy for its creation.

I meant well is suggesting a bridge. But the toll is too high to cross that bridge. So I must disappoint sdolezalek and one other member, mmerrill99, who posted a request for specific information that sought information EJ would not reveal.

Consequently, I backed off constructing that bridge. The way to discover how EJ does the magic is to employ the Recovery, assess what one discovers, and enjoy the music.

I am looking forward to a wide sample of members' assessment with configuration/connection information so one can assess how the Recovery performs with the level of systems and the results that follow.

Thank you for your attention.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

RUR "Burn-in" Experience Update

40 hrs... In continues to amaze... It's definitely opening up ... the soundstage depth and detail are blossoming ...allot!

One advantage of the the enhanced USB RUR over an Ethernet DLNA Stream via a upnp control point with the is of leveraging player software like Pure Music 3.0 as well as many other Music Streaming or player Applications.

My point is the Wyred4Sound RUR has significantly enhanced my Tidal HIFI stream experience sonically in almost everyway. Music that has been recorded in an exceptional way can benefit greatly from having the RUR in the stream. 48k 16 bit streams sound wonderful.

I wouldn't doubt that the RUR would make any system sound better but the degree of improvement, as Richard stated also comes with your systems capabilities.

I find the RUR incredibly neutral and what it is doing to the lower ranges in terms of tight controlled bass is apparent. The detail throughout the entire frequency range is revealed by the clarity this little device provides.

Music selections that have allot of dark space, pauses that let the notes, percussion, strings and strums, in a softer realm will reveal what beneIts RUR can deliver to your listening experience.

If you really enjoy listening in a way you can almost get inside of your music and be immersed in subtle details and nuance you have not heard before then you must at least try this enhancement. I have and am stunned at what it is doing.

I am taking it out of the USB "chain" between my MacMini and DirectStream DAC and the result is immediate... A veil or blanket is applied when the RUR is removed it looses the 3D qualities I'm experiencing when the RUR is in line. Without a doubt it 'reveals' a much better presentation of the music.

I find I am now looking within my music catalog for those artists and recordings that will really shine with the improvement the RUR is delivering in terms of enabling the resolving power of my DAC.

Don't try to overthink this decision your ears will tell you right away... It really doesn't take long for the RUR to begin showing what it can do.

Oh one other note... I am testing two separate systems with the same DAC

A Denon AVR 4311CI to a pair of Definative Technology Studio Monitor 350's as well as my HIFI Krell Vanguard Integrated to Sonus Faber Olympica II's. I can easily see the improvement through both systems. I have no doubt that you do not need to have a very expensive system to experience a unique audio improvement in what you will hear..

T

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hello T,

While I concur with your findings/assess at 40 hours in all respects, I was particularly taken with the awareness of your report about the black spaces in the music and how the RUR shines (illuminates the details, sub-modalities, the intricacies, nuances and artistry of technique and musicality for each of the three marvelous musicians). There's no doubt that Javon Jackson is an extraordinary tenor saxophone musician; that Ron Carter's vocabulary on bass is so articulate, artful, nuanced; and Bill Drummond's like Carter weaves a fabric of textures, tones, cadence that assembles an architecture of one gorgeous habitat of sound after another.

My outcome is not to promote the sale of Chesky Records' Three's Company's We'll Be Together, HDtracks.com download, 192/24, binaural+ but to invite members who are employing the RUR to demonstrate what the RUR delivers to the sonic signature quality that is so far and above what I experienced with other devices in the chain. As I mentioned, I no longer employ the AQJB X2 and the Regen, because what the RUR delivers requires no "assistance". Just let the RUR do what it does, and the other embellishments out of the chain.

I was not used to the sound stage and SQ produced with the employment of a single mic. And as I mentioned previously, my first impression was a large room with empty space and three musicians and feeling the sound resonating in that large empty space and feeling distant from the music. The first several tracks required that I acclimate myself. I was noticeably aware of the modulated playing of Carter and Drummond such that I wanted them to turn up the volume of their playing (not the volume of my system). And then I became aware of the detail despite the modulated level of their play. Javon was located house left. No tenor saxophonist sounds like another. You know Branford, Redman, Coltrane, Hawkins, Rollins etc. I was truly introduced to Javon Jackson with this recording. And is artistry is infectious. Tenor players may not sound alike, but they distinguish themselves by the technique, phrasing, that brings includes them in a special class of artistry.

I was invited to focus on the recording with my full attention. Fortunately my auditory, visual and kinesthetic acuity remain high level. And as I focused on the modulated bass and drums, the detail was exceptional. In time, the musicians moved closer to me. Seriously. They would back off and then come on with a presence so that the bass would come full on then the drums then the tenor. After several tracks their sound was bigger not as laid back, and the big empty sounding venue came into a focus with extraordinary detail. The black space became a backdrop of clarity highlighting the musicians. Nothing to distract from the 3D quality.

Carter's technique and musicality and the sounds of his notes and embellishments are rendered with such detail and clarity that one can see what he's doing to the strings by way of fingering.

I know I am going on about this. What T is aware of matches what I am describing in my own way. For me, it's never been this clear, detailed, exposed what's present. The synesthesia is enveloping as T articulates. And I also concur that the effects are not system dependent provided that one's system can let the details through along the the path to your speakers and to your senses.

I am carrying on because as T intimates, I keep having to pinch myself to remind myself this level of performance continues. The binaural+ production promotes conveying and exposing the clarity details and the RUR delivers them unfettered and truthfully, or with high fidelity if that would convey my meaning.

Thank you T for continuing to report back what your direct experience is. I am so looking forward more member's reports to broaden the samples of experience.

RUReady for this level of sonic quality rendition?

Richard

Hello All,

After reading Chris Connecter's piece about his experience with MQA, the changes in the music rendition with and without MQA reminded me of the changes discernible with the RUR in the chain plus the Full Loom CC. I have little or no technical competencies, but I wonder what a software program and a hardware program have in common that produces discernible changes in the music that are so similar in the description of characteristics of the music rendered after the additions.

Since installing the RUR with the Full Loom CC I have been spoiled in a positive way. Don't believe I could do without the RUR. It's my truth. And,

Aside from the aesthetic changes for the RUR if ever they materialize, I am curious about the future for signal integrity rendered by hardware/software. We'll have to wait to find out, n'est-ce pas?

Of course, there must be different pathways to arrive at the same destination, i.e. the enhancement of the music. While it is clear that EJ Sarmento, the RUR designer and fabricator, has chosen to "sum up" in marketing lingo what to expect with the RUR inserted into one's system and not reveal the intimate design implementations, themselves, one has only to sample the discernible results and compare those results with what Chris discerned when employing MQA.

Kind'a fascinating. Whatever, and if, MQA and RUR accomplish the same/similar outcome, ain't technology grand? Wonder what the two together in one's system would render for sonic signature quality.

On the boundary's edge for off topic, off, off, off the record, as a beta tester for Sonic Studios on a voluntary basis since 2011 (not violating any NDA), MQA enabled, I believe is being contemplated for the Amarra line of products's future builds. Won't that be grand?

I wonder if EJ Sarmento would consider enabling the Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse to "decode" MQA. With the RUR and MQA enabled, I'd love to hear the samples when integrated. Just thinking out loud. I am happy "as is" with my RUR/Full Loom CC. But I am also curious about possibilities.

Any member with a report of their findings for the RUR recently delivered? Feel free to stop by and share them with us.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

According to tracking information my Recovery product should arrive tomorrow.

After reading a lot of the posts in this thread I am really confused. There seems to be a lot of words written using acronyms that I am not familiar with, and a lot of stuff written that I cannot generally understand. So my question is about the new recovery I'm getting - are people saying the power supply should be changed out as well as the USB cable? I mean, I plan to give it a try just as it comes.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

According to tracking information my Recovery product should arrive tomorrow.

After reading a lot of the posts in this thread I am really confused. There seems to be a lot of words written using acronyms that I am not familiar with, and a lot of stuff written that I cannot generally understand. So my question is about the new recovery I'm getting - are people saying the power supply should be changed out as well as the USB cable? I mean, I plan to give it a try just as it comes.

Hello Boldlygo,

Welcome to the thread.

Congratulations on the impending delivery of your Recovery USB Reclocker (RUR) tomorrow. As you haven't referred to what neumonics are confusing you, I won't guess.

I will leave what other members are employing with their RUR to them. Some members prefer to use a different power supply; a different USB than others; a different USB cable to connect their new Recovery to their Dac.

If I can be of help to you, the RUR arrives with an SMPS 9V PS (power supply). I have reviewed that PS in this thread. The RUR also includes a six inche (6") USB cable to connect the Recovery to your Dac. I notice from you signature that we employ the same Dac2 DSDse.

I chose to replace my long time USB cable with the Curious Cable 0.8m from Mac Mini to the Recovery. And replaced the connector included with the Regen, now retired, and connected to my Dac with a hard adapter with the Curious Regen Link 200mm, which I have renamed Curious Recovery Link 200mm, from the Recovery to my Dac2 DSDse.

What members are doing, is deciding whether or not to use the supplied get-started accessories included with your RUR or employ cables and power supplies they prefer. It's straight-forward.

By all means, give what's supplied a "try" just as it comes. Then decide for yourself whether what you're experiencing is good enough. Wyred4Sound provides accessories to get started. They are not recommended as the best accessories. But they are sufficient for you to begin somewhere. The rest is left up to your experience with cables and power supplies. You can glean from other members what some of the power supplies and cables are employed.

If you have questions about specific items, ask, and according to Matthew, ye shall receive.

Good fortune with your new RUR,

Richard

I tried that ifi iPower 9v with my Recovery and was surprised how different everything sounds. I was expecting a lower noise floor, more clarity, but similar sound. What I got was an overall change in sonics. With the iPower the overall sound was fuller with heavier bass. Lower octaves of the piano carried more weight with the iPower. On the other hand, it seems like I lost some of the shimmer on highs such as cymbals. The devices sounded noticeably different, but whether that difference was good or bad I am not sure I have concluded yet. I have swapped then back and forth about 50 times and which ever one isn't in use I think is the better one. I do think I hear a blacker background with the iPower. Sometimes I noticed it takes me a while to appreciate what better really sound like.

As a side note I placed an order for the REGEN link from Curious Cables to replace the supplied USB cable.

I tried that ifi iPower 9v with my Recovery and was surprised how different everything sounds. I was expecting a lower noise floor, more clarity, but similar sound. What I got was an overall change in sonics. With the iPower the overall sound was fuller with heavier bass. Lower octaves of the piano carried more weight with the iPower. On the other hand, it seems like I lost some of the shimmer on highs such as cymbals. The devices sounded noticeably different, but whether that difference was good or bad I am not sure I have concluded yet. I have swapped then back and forth about 50 times and which ever one isn't in use I think is the better one. I do think I hear a blacker background with the iPower. Sometimes I noticed it takes me a while to appreciate what better really sound like.

As a side note I placed an order for the REGEN link from Curious Cables to replace the supplied USB cable.

Hello jrsub,

Only fifty times? Reading between the lines and to quote Crosby Stills, Nash and Young, when you're not with the one you love, love the one you're with. Is a fair interpretation of "..which ever one isn't in use I think is the better one..." that each power supply provides characteristics you prefer but not all at the same time?

Good move to replace the supplied USB cable with the CRL200mm. That might help you discern with a more resolving link from the Recovery to your Dac which PS, or not. Perhaps, the PS you will prefer the best is yet to be discovered.

I recall that when the Regen was in service and the hard adapter was replaced with the CRL200mm, the improvement persuaded me in about four days to order the the remains cable to complete the Full Loom CC. Even with the Full Loom, the comparison between the two devices were not even close, at least as it pertains to my system configuration.

It's not ironical that already having a family resemblance to my system, the RUR fit in so perfectly, I wasn't sure it was working, and that I was back to a sound I preferred before the introduction of the Regen. Again, that device brought significant improvements but detracted overall so that in the balance, there was no way for me to make it work for me. But that's another time. My point is not to rag on the Regen, but to demonstrate how a synergy of elements that work together create the complex equivalence that is so right, it's mesmerizing (as it should be in my opinion).

I am sure you'll find your way to that sonic signature quality when you won't have to miss one or the other that's not in use, rather enjoy the one in use without exception. Is that possible? I didn't think so to the extent it became a week or two ago. It may take some time but I'll get over how much I am enjoying my system and stop thinking about it and just trust it is what it is.

Richard

Ditto on ifi iPower 9V I am seeing the same results sonically on my system.

Also I have substituted the stock USB cable with a WireWorld Starlight 7 USB between the Mac Mini and the RUR I did not notice a audible difference I will let it burn in a couple of days but this may not be an area where there should be any discernible difference will continue to switch out after more hours in the string..

Hello All,

Now that I have at least 150 hours of breakin on the RUR and at least 250 on the Full Loom, I have decided for the benefit of the membership and one other, to assess what returning one AQJB at a time contributes, if anything, to the state of the SQ I have been enjoying as never before.

I had planned to make this comparison, and now wonder which of the three threads I started, i.e. The Recovery Thread, The Comparison Thread for the Recovery/Regen/Other Similar Devices, or The Curious Cable Thread.

I returned the AQJB formerly employed with the Regen which had a positive effect and improved the SQ. If one recalls the addition of the Regen brought excellent results and no so excellent results. When I replaced the Regen with the Recovery, I thought it might be useful at some time to assess what the AQJB might deliver in line with the Curious Cable 0.8m that feeds the Recovery and the Curious Recovery Link200mm which I renamed for my purposes. Hope Rob doesn't mind.

After assessing the AQJB in line, I plan to add a second AQJB next to the inline arrangement but only as a standalone configuration. And as the two AQJBs wil not be accommodated by my Mac Mini's arrangement of USB output ports, I purchased a six inch extender that allows two AQJB "side by side" so to speak, i.e. One connected directly to the Curious Cable 0.8m and the other AQJB to the six inch extender purchased at Amazon.com

To be continued...

Richard

I got my Recovery in yesterday and unhooked my Regen and hooked this up in it's place. My PC could not find my Bifrost once I put the Recovery in. I hard booted everything in every manner possible to try and get my W10 to find the DAC. I deleted the drivers to the Bifrost and hooked the Recovery up and tried to re-load the Bifrost driver and the PC could not find it. Now I'm pissed.

I call W4S and talked to EJ about it. We done everything possible to trouble shoot the situation. I even hooked to my printer and the printer printed.

EJ was perplexed, and so was I. He asked me to send it back and he was getting with Schiit to get a Bifrost and do some testing.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

I have to say that working with EJ was a pleasure. He took about an hour to try and help me and share with me some tips on my system.

I'm not easily swayed, but after talking to EJ, I'm considering to try out more of there products. I hope he gets it fixed.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

I got my Recovery in yesterday and unhooked my Regen and hooked this up in it's place. My PC could not find my Bifrost once I put the Recovery in. I hard booted everything in every manner possible to try and get my W10 to find the DAC. I deleted the drivers to the Bifrost and hooked the Recovery up and tried to re-load the Bifrost driver and the PC could not find it. Now I'm pissed.

I call W4S and talked to EJ about it. We done everything possible to trouble shoot the situation. I even hooked to my printer and the printer printed.

EJ was perplexed, and so was I. He asked me to send it back and he was getting with Schiit to get a Bifrost and do some testing.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

I have to say that working with EJ was a pleasure. He took about an hour to try and help me and share with me some tips on my system.

I'm not easily swayed, but after talking to EJ, I'm considering to try out more of there products. I hope he gets it fixed.

Hello JW Audio,

Welcome to the thread (smile),

Thank you for your report. In my opinion, member's direct experience shared at this thread alerts any member who may or might end up contending with the same issue if it's a global problem; and if it's something peculiar to JW's Recovery we will learn that too.

Given JW reports that EJ had a problem with another BiFrost Dac this report and return of the Recovery and EJ's pursuit of finding what the trigger is will advance identifying and solving a problem that potentially can be an issue for others.

This is a perfect example of how a thread that is a resource for the membership can help one another and Wyred4Sound to provide a platform for, in this case, identifying a problem, how-to, what to expect given similar configurations of systems, connections used etc.

I truly feel for JW, who has to contend with this as I imagine it's disappointing to anticipate enjoying the Recovery only to discover that enjoyment is to be delayed until EJ Sarmento sorts this out. In my experience as one of his customers since 2011, given I purchased the Dac2, STP-SE preamp, and the SX1000 X2 mono blocks, which were upgraded to the Dac2 DSDse and Stage2 preamp, EJ's pursuit of excellence never waivers. He will get to the bottom of this and then let us know what the issue is. I have complete confidence in EJ and the customer service provided by Wyred4Sound.

I had a problem (one of the few) with my STP-SE (before it was upgraded) that like JW's problem was not global but affected certain W4S preamps. It required EJ to write some code and "fix" the issue, which he accomplished. I could not have been treated better; and I was given a priority so that it was handled expeditiously. Hence my reasons for the loyalty and admiration I feel for EJ and his product line. One can rely on that I tell it like it is for me without reservation.

I am only sharing this information so that new owners of W4S products or those contemplating purchasing a Wyred4Sound product can have the benefit of my experiences however relevant it may be.

Good fortune, JW.

Best,

Richard

I have realised from your writings that RUR is an excellent product and i am one step before i order one. But first i would like to ask if you can predict that could be a benefit in SQ if i use it between my Aurender x100l and Audiobyte Hydra Z. I am wondering on this issue because both devices( X100 and Hydra) have precise clocks and Aurender has also a very low noise USB output...

Aurender X100L 12T, dac TIDAL PREOS, Cybershaft premium 10.0M,Mutec mc-3+usb,TIDAL PREOS D

TIDAL IMPULSE,TIDAL PIANO CERA (Duelund x-over), Argento FMR, TRON DIGITAL, Stealth USB-T,Argento flow, Argento FMR power cables ,2 Rack of Silence, Torus RM16, Acoustic Treatment,EMO EN-70HD lan isolator, Meicord-Supra(CAT7+) lan cables, IFI ipower for router.

Does anyone knows or have already asked what they mean writing: 1. Isolate and provide cleaner power.

What way isolate, digitaly - doing reclocking or providing galvanic isolation or maybe both?

There is no detailed information about this topic.

Mine arrived yesterday, but it will probably be the weekend before I give it a go (my system is all apart at the moment as I do some re-organizing)

I don't think we know what's in the secret sauce. There is a power input, which usually means the 5 volt USB power lead is being replaced at the unit. I think most the units now have a galvanic isolation transformer in them, but I have not seen the inside of the RUR, not have been privy to any of the going ons. I have made some basic assumptions, and its why I chose it over the competition.

Anyone looked under the hood?

I have been slowly assembling parts for a new audio computer build, and picked an HDPlex unit, with its linear power supply. Ill be able to power the RUR with it, or put an audio grade USB port on the computer itself.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I think most the units now have a galvanic isolation transformer in them, but I have not seen the inside of the RUR, not have been privy to any of the going ons. I have made some basic assumptions, and its why I chose it over the competition.

No, galvanic isolation is not provided by the W4S Recovery. And one can not do so with isolation transformers on a 480Mbps USB data signal.

Mine arrived yesterday, but it will probably be the weekend before I give it a go (my system is all apart at the moment as I do some re-organizing)

I don't think we know what's in the secret sauce. There is a power input, which usually means the 5 volt USB power lead is being replaced at the unit. I think most the units now have a galvanic isolation transformer in them, but I have not seen the inside of the RUR, not have been privy to any of the going ons. I have made some basic assumptions, and its why I chose it over the competition.

Anyone looked under the hood?

I have been slowly assembling parts for a new audio computer build, and picked an HDPlex unit, with its linear power supply. Ill be able to power the RUR with it, or put an audio grade USB port on the computer itself.

Hello Bones13

Welcome to the thread.

As I indicated in earlier posts, EJ isn't inclined to discuss his design at a forum. He would prefer you experience what's in it by the results you assess. I have made him aware of your post and Mogos so that he may respond either to the thread or to me. I will pass on his comments to you verbatim.

As for the assumptions you made, I have direct experience with another other device, which I removed after making a comparison with the Recovery. The Recovery was heads about the other device in many respects. I did not have to assume as I had the benefit of both devices. And there will soon be plenty of feedback which may support my decision. Lately, what feedback there is, confirms your decision. But you know how these matters go, they're subjective until it's your subjectively, then that's all that matters.

So enjoy the Recovery as I believe you will and then some. I'll be hearing from EJ and when I do, I'll let you in on the skinny so you can hear it from the source about the sauce.

Thank you for stopping by. Good fortune with your new Recovery. Be sure to let us know whether the secret sauce is to our tastes (smile).

Best,

Richard

Does anyone knows or have already asked what they mean writing: 1. Isolate and provide cleaner power.

What way isolate, digitaly - doing reclocking or providing galvanic isolation or maybe both?

There is no detailed information about this topic.

Hello Mogos,

Welcome to the thread. I have made EJ aware of your post. Hang in there for a response. EJ tends to be very busy and doesn't post here at CA. Never has. I have a channel into EJ. I am sure you'd prefer to hear from him than some others who post here.

I will provide you with EJ's comments verbatim. Of course there's no detailed information about EJ's designs. He prefers it that way. But, you ought to know that you can email Wyred4Sound to find out what you can find out. This thread is intended as a resource, but there are limits to what is published and what is proprietary.

The focus of this thread is for member users to post their findings from their direct experience of the device, the configurations and connections of their system and as the title announces comments on the audio performance with the Recovery installed. Specifics of design are outside this thread's focus unless we were made privy to such information and that would come from EJ.

So if you do not presently own the Recovery, you are better off contacting the source for reliable information specific to your need to know. Thank you for your cooperation.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard

My RUR arrived and I've already plugged it in, replacing my Uptone Regen with Sbooster Ultra SMPS filter.

At this time I'm using the stock SMPS which came with the RUR as I can't transfer the Booster Ultra for the Regen to the RUR (not sufficient voltage, only outputs 6.15 volts).

One gotcha, the Sbooster VBus isolator cannot be used upstream of the RUR. I suppose it uses USB power itself, even though it supplies its own power to the DAC. When I remove the Sbooster VBus isolator, all is well and music plays.

I'm just getting ready to break the RUR in right now. Can't comment on sound, too early in the game (literally installed 5 minutes ago).

Will comment on sound quality after about 50 hours of play.

Regards

Barry

I have realised from your writings that RUR is an excellent product and i am one step before i order one. But first i would like to ask if you can predict that could be a benefit in SQ if i use it between my Aurender x100l and Audiobyte Hydra Z. I am wondering on this issue because both devices( X100 and Hydra) have precise clocks and Aurender has also a very low noise USB output...

Hello John,

Welcome to the thread. If you would please post questions like the one you wish an answer to elsewhere, perhaps with Wyred4Sound

This thread is intended for those who have committed to the Recovery and are posting their findings and include system configurations and connections so that other members like yourself can glean from their experience what you might expect.

This thread is not a question and answer thread for one to speculate how well the Recovey might work with a certain configuration. Perhaps, if someone who posts on topic has the system or one close to the system you're interested in you might find helpful.

So please post your specific question at another thread or start one. Then if and when you acquire a Recovery and can provide your findings based on your configurations and connections for your system, we will have the benefit of your actual experience with the RUR.

Hope you don't take this personally. It's merely a way of keeping this thread on topic which is about actual findings. Perhaps at one of the threads devoted to the components of interest to you, there may be a member who has added a Recovery to their system and you'll have your answer.

Appreciate your cooperation.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard

My RUR arrived and I've already plugged it in, replacing my Uptone Regen with Sbooster Ultra SMPS filter.

At this time I'm using the stock SMPS which came with the RUR as I can't transfer the Booster Ultra for the Regen to the RUR (not sufficient voltage, only outputs 6.15 volts).

One gotcha, the Sbooster VBus isolator cannot be used upstream of the RUR. I suppose it uses USB power itself, even though it supplies its own power to the DAC. When I remove the Sbooster VBus isolator, all is well and music plays.

I'm just getting ready to break the RUR in right now. Can't comment on sound, too early in the game (literally installed 5 minutes ago).

Will comment on sound quality after about 50 hours of play.

Regards

Barry

Hello again, Barry from Calgary (smile),

Congratulations on the delivery of your RUR. Sorry you are not able to use what you expected. I concur, as I would not favor powering the Recovery at 6.15 volts. Number 9 is the magic number as far as I am concerned. Better performance for past devices also at 9V versus 7.5 or 7Vs. Much better.

I would love to know what your system consists of that you installed your Recovery to. If you provided that early, would you mind restating that information, i.e. Configurations and connections, so other members can appreciate what your system and the RUR accomplish together when you decide to publish your findings. Thank you in advance.

I gave a quick listen right out of the box just to get a sense of what I might hear as a base line for a listening experience after intervals of hours, i.e. 25, 50, 75 and then 100. The wow factor grew in league with the number of hours accumulated. By 100+, I spelled "Wow!" with a capital "W".

Have a fine time adding the hours. I imagine you will take a peak every now and then, if only to prove you are Human (smile).

I look forward to discovering what your findings entail. Your assessment will help us all.

Richard

Hello All,

Just received a few words from EJ. He had nothing new to add to what has been posted of late. He confirmed that neither he, his staff, nor his website has ever mentioned the existence of galvanic isolation. As far as what makes the difference that makes the difference, perhaps it's the design and the parts used. It's not as if EJ just released his first device for sonic quality excellence.

And, as I would conclude from my own experience and not from EJ, because how would he know what my sensory specfici findings might be, my findings when I first received the RUR and spent time with both the Regen (since June 2015) and then the Recovery allowed me to experience a difference that I cannot explain from the perspective of technical differences, unless the design and parts are just better, but how would I know that? I can comment that for me the differences were based on what I heard as the sonic signature quality and further how I felt about what I heard. The last validation, the kinesthetic element is the probably the icing on the cake.

For those waiting for some release of technical information, I gather you'd be wasting time if that is what's important before making a decision. The determinant for me was making a commitment, experiencing the devices, and deciding which I favored.

By now you know which one and what formed my conclusion. I have written both a review for this thread and a comparison review for the comparison thread I also started. That both reach the same conclusion should not be a surprise. I provide sensory specific feedback for both reviews. Subjective? Yes. My truth? Yes. Does it match yours?

When you're RUReady, and follow through and take the time to form your own conclusions, stop by visit and post your assessment, positive, negative, whatever you find that represents your experience.

Richard

I purchased a Wyred 4 sound usb Reclocker a week ago. I wanted to report that is does not work with Aesthetix Romulus Dac. I have tried it with my computer and with my Auralic Aries. I believe my DAC uses a USB implementation that uses Linux as it will not communicate with the Auralic Aries USB function, a known problem. I emailed Wyred 4 sound a few days ago and have not heard back. I will get a refund.

I purchased a Wyred 4 sound usb Reclocker a week ago. I wanted to report that is does not work with Aesthetix Romulus Dac. I have tried it with my computer and with my Auralic Aries. I believe my DAC uses a USB implementation that uses Linux as it will not communicate with the Auralic Aries USB function, a known problem. I emailed Wyred 4 sound a few days ago and have not heard back. I will get a refund.

Hello gdub,

Thank you for your feedback. Curious, knowing there were issues with some of your equipment, if I have that right, did you contact Wyred4Sound in advance to run your configuration by them before ordering?

Sorry for your troubles. I gather a few days more is not worth it to you to find out if there is a possible resolution. But that's your choice to make. And you made that choice.

Good fortune. I am sure Wyred4Sound will provide the best customer service possible whether to resolve either making it work if possible or making it right, if not so desired.

Best,

Richard

Over 120 Hours on my RUR ... A close friend stopped by and my music was on... He sat down... And asked what did you do to your system since the last time I was here? Why I asked ... He said it sounds so different... How I asked he said open and detail are amazing it's 3D like so I showed him.... He made me remove it and go straight USB and then put it back in same track replay we did it three times .... Then I said wait you pick the song and we did a few blind tests for him and he did it for me mixing it up we got it every time RUR in or out on same track comparisons.

That my reality thus far and we love it ....what a great value for the improvement SQ via USB to my DAC ...Really happy with this investment MacMini to PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC, another veil was lifted between what is there and that which my system resolves!!!

Over 120 Hours on my RUR ... A close friend stopped by and my music was on... He sat down... And asked what did you do to your system since the last time I was here? Why I asked ... He said it sounds so different... How I asked he said open and detail are amazing it's 3D like so I showed him.... He made me remove it and go straight USB and then put it back in same track replay we did it three times .... Then I said wait you pick the song and we did a few blind tests for him and he did it for me mixing it up we got it every time RUR in or out on same track comparisons.

That my reality thus far and we love it ....what a great value for the improvement SQ via USB to my DAC ...Really happy with this investment MacMini to PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC, another veil was lifted between what is there and that which my system resolves!!!

Hello T,

Who said you could write a better review than mine in a tenth of the text required to accomplish that? Actually that was a concise, no nonsense to the point subjective testing that comes across to me as about genuine as genuine allows. While some members may find fault with your methodology, to me, this is what we do in the field and for me is as valid as any other test of one's acuity for discerning which is which. 100% correct. Well, perhaps, you can improve that with more experience.

Thank you for an update of your former assessment with an interesting exercise in how two people can validate each other by testing each other auditory acuity. I concur even though I did not participate.

For example, I decided to help with determining what effect, if any, the addition of an AQJB X1 then X2 has when inserted back into my system with one inline with the CC08m and then an additional one in standalone mode next to the first one but with a six inch extension cable to allow for them to insert side by side.

I was confounded by the change the AQJB X1 resulted in and then with the 2nd AQJB. It turned the my former experience upside down. Briefly as I want to devote a bit more to explain. I had used AQJB X2 with the Regen installed to determine if they helped overall and discovered that they helped tame to a degree the steely SQ rendered by the Regen installed in my system. I had read about the AudioStream and then the Stereophile review which seem to match each other. What I discovered was that the AQJB X1 soften the bright, edgy glossy SQ that changed my impression of the Regen over time from favorable to this isn't working out. The second addition of the AQJB further improved or reduced the bright, edgy gloss to a shimmer. Better but not best and again, disappointing to the point I felt I had made a mistake but what to do about it.

After installing the Recovery with the AQJB X2 removed to assess the Recovery, I readily determined they were not needed to reduce anything or add anything. The Recovery was as you describe and from my perspective JUST RIGHT so right I was startled. As I wrote I almost fell out of my chair from superb demonstration of the best SQ I have ever experienced from system.

Today, earlier, I returned one AQJB then a second AQJB, the results were confounding as I stated earlier. How specifically, tune in for my review of the Recovery with two (2) AQJBs installed.

Thank you for a great (the best so far) review of the Recovery and what it delivers confirmed and validated by two individuals who reached the same conclusion with one hundred percent findings reaching the same choices to distinguish the Recovery in use and the Recovery removed. That speaks volumes to me.

With appreciation for your pursuit of doing your best for an honest, appraisal of a device that we can consider in reaching our own decision point to chose the Recovery or not. And with your configuration /connections for your system that will be helpful even further.

Best,

Richard