IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

~

Alex, first and foremost I haven't seen the word "thusly" used in quite some time and I applaud you. Secondly, you are such a class act! I bet I'm not the only one here who appreciates your approach. Lastly, like you I appreciate Richard's honest and heartfelt desire to help the CA community. We are fortunate to have both of you here. Peace.

Hello Melvin,

Thank you for the kind words. I concur with your assessment of Alex and appreciate that my mission for the membership comes through, or you wouldn't be saying so.

I plan to review the Recovery starting tomorrow, late, when I will have accumulated over 100 hours of breakin time twice the ~50 minimum hours advocated by the Recovery User Manual 1.0. I also have more than twice those hours on the Full Loom of Curious Cables.

"Thusly" the review will focus on the combination of the Full Loom of CC and the RUR. I may even include the supplied with the RUR SMPS in addition to the JS-2.

My experience tonight during a beta test of a new build for the A4THIFIwiRCwARA revealed an experience I was so taken with but can not follow through at this time. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Peace and Light,

Richard

Hello All:

Alex Crespi in addition to being one of the principals of UpTone Audio is a long standing member at CA. He is always welcome anywhere he cares to post. And certainly here anytime he wishes.

It's after midnight in my neck of the woods; and Alex's post below requires a thoughtful reply. Did not want to leave his post hanging without some response from me. For the time being, I need to tuck myself in bed and start early tomorrow with a full schedule.

To be continued. Thank you all for keeping this thread on target and as a resource for the Recovery USB Reclocker. Resource is power. Power is resource.

Review of the Recovery is scheduled. Good fortune to all whose RUR order will be shipped tom...it's already Tuesday, er' today. I am so looking forward the reports to follow from members who would take the time and share their direct experience with us. Remember to include configurations and connections to deepen our understanding of what constitutes the elements of your considerations.

The Music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

Hello All:

Overview for what is to follow: This is not an invitation to post here in defense of either my position or Alex's regarding what constitutes a valid, fair review of the RUR. If that were to start here, this thread would be swept away into a tangent that would defeat the purpose of this thread. Therefore, I am taking Alex's perspectives posted here and my response in full to a brand ew thread.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. And,

To be clear: Upon reflection, given this thread's focus as the title of the thread states, I will respond to Alex Crespi's post and his reasoning for what he feels is an appropriate review procedure at a new thread so as not to invite a host of conversations that will accomplish more conversations about more conversations. Unlike mathematical equations that are capable of being proved, such conversations are either accepted or not for yet more reasoning.

But not here.

If I were to respond to Alex's premise and perspectives which I whole-heartedly disagree with, this thread would turn into another thread, and that I would not want to happen. As it so happens, Alex's post however well intended is off-topic but I have shown him the curtesy of leaving his post provided it does not attract more of the same. That will be provided for at another new thread.

As I have demonstrated with comments from EJ Sarmento in an earlier post below, EJ and I share the same perspective about Alex's explicit view of what should have been the blue print for a Reovery review of merit.

Rather than take this thread off the rails onto the tracks of an opinion muttled tangent, a train addressing Alex's perspectives in a thread devoted entirely to this topic is the better tact to take and that train will leave the station in a day or two. But before that whistle blows, I have much more essential tasks at hand, to wit, the promised review of the Recovery and a promised comparison of the Recovery with the Regen. The Intona USB Isolator is not to be a part of my comparisons. And someone else can accomplish that.

Please note, when Alex Crespi receives his RUR and wishes to post his findings, he is welcome as any other member to do so but I will hold Alex to the same topic boundaries as anyone else.

For a comparison of the Regen with the RUR, please note the new thread I started in the same sub forum as this thread. At present, I have not submitted any content toward that comparison. I could conduct one off the top of my head given my long time experience with the Regen since June of 2015. And,

As I presently accumulated more than sufficient listening experiences with the Recovery aided by the sensational Full Loom Curious Cables, that comparison could write itself.

Please take further notice, my perspectives are not about right or wrong, good or bad, but rather about the awareness of one's perspective and the logic of one's argument when applied fairly and consistently.

Engage in absolutes of right and wrong or more right or more wrong (when I sat for the NY State Bar, some answers were more right than other right answers, seriously, and therefore, the scores reflected what was more on than more off).

It will not serve the membership if the focus gets skewed, in my opinion. Consensus at CA is a fleeting circumstance. As I don't just disagree with Alex, I find his arguments and examples misleading. But,

That is an invitation for the members to take sides and draw lines, and no matter how cogent one's argument may make sense, it always comes down to perception, such that what makes good sense is in the mind of the maker. So let us hold off for another time. And,

It is best to take this subject matter out of this present territory which is preserved for users of the RUR and let what develops find fertile ground at a new thread not yet created. All are welcome to post to your heart's content there.

What I may argument on my behalf will be done for the sake of doing so without any stake in the outcome. For tomorrow or some day soon, your RUR will arrive and you will decide for yourself what works, what makes correct sense, whether or not any or both of my and Alex's POV have validity before those arguments evaporate into your own experience of and enjoyment with the most desirable Recovery you ever had.

Today, time permitting I expect to publish my full review of the RUR which I am looking forward to sharing with the members.

Thank you for your time,

Richard

Anxiously awaiting Richard's review on the Recovery! I hope mine ships out today. And Alex, I LOVE the Regen and plan on using that with my home theater setup. Of course, I'll post my findings in due time..

Hello Spence,

It's fine that you love the Regen. Please post your communications re Regen and to Alex at the Regen thread and not the Recovery thread.

Spence, I am do understand what would make you ignore my request that subscribers to this thread not use it to send mix messages about other products and designers of the them here. This is precisely what gets you deleted. So what would prompt you to give me a reason for removing your post?

Best,

Richard

I understand, Richard. I'm following this thread solely based on the Recovery. I only mentioned the Regen as my current setup and only plan on posting my Recovery results here. I truly value your input. Feel free to delete my previous message.

No Spence. I get what you were doing inadvertently. Let's move on, OK?

Best,

Richard

A Prelude:

Always best to begin at the beginning. Consider the following three scenarios:

1.You invest in a 4K HD 75 inch television (pick a brand), then dig up and find that old VHS Player ignoring the BetaMax player, shove a VHS tape in hook it up to the composite inputs to rate the new model and report back to your friends. Do you?

2. You invest in a new state of the DSD Dac, then download several MP3 to test the new Dac. Do you?

3. You find a new 3 Star recipe reprinted in a gourmet magazine with permission, and set out to follow the recipe but missing what makes the recipe exceptional, substitute what's in the frig and settle for what's available. Do you?

Richard

A Preview.

Gathering what I needed to prepare for a review of the newly designed Recovery USB Reclocker required getting on line to order the device. Given my history with Wyred4Sound dating back to 2011, I was intimate with the SQ of my system composed of a Wyred4Sound Dac2 upgraded to a Dac2DSDse and once more with a Femto Clock modification; the STP-SE preamp upgraded to the Stage 2; and the SX1000 X2 mono blocks @ 4ohms for my KEF Reference 107 speakers (circa 1986). The JL Audio F112 X2 came later along with the Bryston 10B crossover. The cable's were carefully chosen, most Synergistic Research, mostly expensive.

Had purchased all the available software players available in 2011, starting with Pure Music. Audirvana (there was no Plus then), Decibel, Fidelia (Advanced came later), BitPerfect. Oh, and Amarra Full (known now as Amarra Symphony before there was iRC). Buying all of them, I did not have to jump through the 2 week hoops of trials. I wanted to take my time. I settled on Amarra Full ($695.)

We've come a long way since 2011, n'est-ce pas? Most recently a focus on power supplies, galvanic isolation, and small, little devices which clean up the USB signals on their way to our Dacs. There's more of course, but this is where I the beginning begins for my purposes.

When I learned about Wyred4Sound's new Recovery USB Reclocker, designed and fabricated by EJ Sarmento, I did not given it more than a second's thought. In preparation, I gathered what I wanted to know about breakin, powering it, and the cable's to configure and connect. Given I had a head start with another device which accomplished similar refinements since June of 2015, including my first (and only LPS) and a better power supply for my Mac Mini along with a fan controller, and a custom built coax cable with a tip to fit the device to be powered by the power supply, I had already had a head start on the head start.

Since June 2015, just about seven (7) months, I had plenty of time to settle accounts. One of the devices included a SMPS and a hard adapter and a USB 6" cable. I was late to the table for all of that. There were threads, and posts about every aspect and unusual for most products and ever present of the principals of the company who were also members at CA. Recommendations were rampant. Including those from the principals.

I made my own choices benefitting from all that came before me and settled on spending a chunk of change.

With the Recovery, the User Manual recommended a breakin of ~50 hours. I decided in preparation for my review to accumulate twice that number. I was also concerned about what favored powering the little device and what favored connecting it to my Dac2 DSDse. Who else would I ask but the designer and fabricateur.

At the same time, word got around for some time, apparently, about the Curious Cables, and I was late to that table as well. But as the timing would have it, the CRL200mm was available, and I was ready to introduce it into my system first with the Regen I had been employing since June 2015.

To be fair to EJ Sarmento, and myself, I ran my choices by him for the power supply and the cable's to connect his Recovery to my Dac 2 DSDse to insure he had no objections or contraindications, and was I being fair to him because I wanted to prepare for the best introduction to the Recovery after breakin with choices that would be available to me starting with what I already invested in. I also wanted the best setup for the Review I intended to publish.

EJ gave me his blessings admonishing me that well, let me publish his comments a second time:

I don't feel that you need to report on anyway someone tells you to but rather how you use it and see it fitting your system. Shouldn't matter what you have plugged into it as it is the unit which you are interested in rather than each adaptor we supply with it for those to use if they don't have anything better.

EJ's perspective matched my own criteria and standards and made absolute sense to me. What would make me choose lesser choices? What would make certain individuals chime in and interfere with my thread and my design for a review interjecting their own perspectives intend on making me wrong or posturing the implement of certain decisions as if their way of doing things were better and more fitting and popular.

Well apparently some members with specific interests for specific choices that would be more practicable agreed. I can understand the interests in knowing what is practicable, that's understandable. But this is my review. I am neither Consumer Reports nor Stereophile (good riddance). And putting a new device to the task with the best feed is not about cheating or playing unfairly or mismatching what other more generally available/obtainable/affordable choices might avail.

What can the Recovery USB Reclocker deliver when setup with the best elements?

Best,

Richard

Last night, while watching the Iowa Elections, sitting across from my main system which for the last eight (8) days has been accumulating playing hours with the volume just above a whisper, to my system with the addition of the Wyred4Sound Recovery Reclocker having accumulated close to 100 hours and double that number for the Full Loom of Curious Cables, I received a new beta build for A4THIFIwiRCwARA (Amarra For TIDAL HIFI with iRC with Amarra Remote App) and a request to take it through its paces.

Timing!

Doesn't Sonic Studio know I am preparing for my Recovery USB Reclocker (RUR) review? Prepare? Beta test? Prepare? Beta Test? Both serve the membership and me and both, OK, beta test and then go back to preparing.

After installing the new beta, and all the steps to get the A4T and ARA going, I selected an album, the Bill Frisell, When You Wish Upon A Star, now available on TIDAL HIFI, that I had purchased earlier that evening from HDtracks, AIFF, 88.2/24, and turned up the volume to listening volume to take the beta build through its paces, and almost fell off my near field chair.

I had to gather myself. Seriously. Not exaggerating. What flowed from my system was a sonic quality of the kind I had never discerned before. I wasn't convinced I was actually streaming. Or even that it was really real. How to translate the experience?

Are you familiar with the film, The Wizard of OZ? The film starts out in sienna until the house that Dorothy is in blown away by the Tornado lands on the Wicked Witch of the West. Dorothy opens the front door and the film transfers from sienna into Technicolor full bloom and gorgeous. I was a kid the first time that happened to me.

And it happened again last night. This lush, vivid, 3D, dynamic, clarity but rich with auditory sub modalities just overwhelmed me. The SQ was forward as EJ had described. Forward in the sense that I was enveloped in it in the room and it took several minutes to accept the SQ as I experienced it which was never like this before.

I hurried through the beta test. Didn't skip anything, I didn't need to, the music was streaming without any impediments. As perfectly as one could want A4THIFI to play. Wait! This isn't only the new build, I am listening to. This is the RUR and the Full Loom finally let released at listening volume after eight days; and it's incomparable -- like nothing I have heard. Again, without exaggeration.

I have nothing to compare it to because what I have been listening to as far as add-on devices, cabling, tweaks that came before what has been cultivating for the last eight days is in a class by itself.

I have always loved my KEF speakers, they are neutral and deliver the music as clear as a bell if that's what it's feed but not cold. They were at one time Stevie Wonder's favorites. I know, so what! I do love the Wyred4Sound components they are a match with the KEFs. Don't take my word for it. Let other members who own and use Wyred4Sound confirm or challenge me.

The RUR's heritage is resembles all that came before. The family resemblance is startling, or not. No need for a paternity suit here. The DNA is undeniable. That's why I own W4S stuff. I have for a time longed for this quality of fidelity, which in many respects, what came before delivered but with other characteristics that essentially cancelled for me all that it gave. What to do? Felt stuck. Then added an AQJB, which reduced the brightness. Then a second AQJB that was just right as in better but not best.

With the RUR, I removed the AQJB X2, nothing wrong with them, they're just not needed. Or to be it another way, I don't need them in line. Perhaps in combination with other devices given their reviews one might consider them, keep them or not. With the RUR, it would be like adding to much condiments. As I said, they wonderful when needed. Just not with the RUR.

I will have to praise Rob Woodland's Full Loom which for some are a gift and for others a returnable gift. I just adore them. With the RUR, the Full Loom is a match made in heaven.

I have to add another album to Amarra Symphony Playlist as the lates André Previn, Joe Pass, Ray Brown, After Hours UHD, 44.1/16, album has played through. Hmmm, is anyone still reading this review? Next, Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 of 3, AIFF XLD conversion redbook.

There it is that vibrancy, the dimensionality that Rob Woodland describes as a characteristic of the Curious Cables when broken in. I mention this here because, the RUR and the Full Loom CC compliment themselves so well as to kissin' kin.

I am sure I have communicated sufficiently how taken I am with the RUR. As this is my review based on my subjective experience, with my system components, you will want to check it out for yourself and not rely on my word alone for my findings. That will then require either the lone of a RUR, or taking the device by the reins and taking off with one.

I, for one, am settled in with the RUR. There's not another I need. I know I accepted an invitation to run the RUR and another device in tandem, but on second thought, that was more to cooperate. I have no enthusiasm for the project so I will respectfully withdraw from that assembly.

Last night I had the best music listening session of my life. I employed what is considered by many to be one of the best LPS around. One might wonder but what if Richard were to whip out the SMPS and light that up, would he have reached the same conclusion as last night.

I would have, but I had to wait till now. Before I started this afternoon's listening session, I did just that, hooked up the RUR with the SMPS supplied by Wyred4Sound. Ask me a question, and if I don't answer, nothing's change. Let me run this by you again, just to be clear. Today, I switched to the SMPS supplied with the RUR as I was composing this three part review starting with the Prelude, then Preview and now the Review. My conclusion this afternoon has not changed from the one I was smacked with last night.

Oh, for Heaven's sake, you know I am not equating one to the other as equals. Just as good enough to conclude that there is no equal to the RUR which has preceded it; and surely I will not gaze into the Future and predict something better is sure to come along. For the Present, something better is here and playing in my system. So if you ask me a question about the Recovery's quality, and I don't answer you, I haven't changed my mind from the conclusion that follows. Highly recommended with or without the SMPS. It's the RUR that what I am interested in at this moment. Take one and find out for yourself.

Thank you for your attention,

Richard

I just hit the 99 hour mark on my Recovery. I am running it with the supplied SMPS power supply and USB cable. The digital in my system consists of a 2014 Mac mini running Jriver MC through an AQ Diamond USB cable to a Wyred DAC 2 DSD SE with Femto clock. Currently I am listening to Bill Frisell's Guitar in the Space Age. Like many of the other tracks I have listened to, the Recovery is providing a level of resolution I have not heard before in my system. Literally I am hearing stuff on tracks that I suspect the original mastering engineer would have removed had he heard it. No brightness, just more detail, clarity and more of the more which I seek. For the price, or even a significantly higher price the RUR is a no brainer. I suspect I will upgrade the supplied USB cable and I have ordered an iPower power supply just because that is my nature. Regardless, with only what came in the box it sounds great.

I just hit the 99 hour mark on my Recovery. I am running it with the supplied SMPS power supply and USB cable. The digital in my system consists of a 2014 Mac mini running Jriver MC through an AQ Diamond USB cable to a Wyred DAC 2 DSD SE with Femto clock. Currently I am listening to Bill Frisell's Guitar in the Space Age. Like many of the other tracks I have listened to, the Recovery is providing a level of resolution I have not heard before in my system. Literally I am hearing stuff on tracks that I suspect the original mastering engineer would have removed had he heard it. No brightness, just more detail, clarity and more of the more which I seek. For the price, or even a significantly higher price the RUR is a no brainer. I suspect I will upgrade the supplied USB cable and I have ordered an iPower power supply just because that is my nature. Regardless, with only what came in the box it sounds great.

Hello jrsub,

Your assessment matches mine. What is significant to me is the baseline for what the RUR provides that is so exceptional as to be stunning in the detail your reference.

With greater detail sonically, one can visualize (as a way of making sense of the sensory feedback) the brushes against the snare, fingers on the keys of an instrument, plucking the bass strings. With rendition of that sonic quality, I experience a synesthesia, actually a three-way, auditory, visual and kinesthetic.

In other examples, listening to symphony and seeing a forest or a landscape or seascape or whatever the music suggests to the listener. All this gets enhanced with the RUR in the system. And while to a degree I have experienced this with other system devices, never to the extent the RUR images for me.

As far as I can tell there is no overhead with RUR. No it gives this but it takes that. I have been listening very carefully. In particular, no edges, no brightness, no fatigue, but what it does deliver is so lyrical and acoustically satiating that I am truly in a kind of state of music trance. Hypnosis is such a state of heightened awareness.

And speaking of overhead, I know, I brought that up by myself, surprisingly, the RUR is very, very, very forgiving. By that I mean if one wishes to employ the SMPS that was supplied, one doesn't have to pay a price. I can't say the same for the cabling as I haven't switched from the Full Loom CC. Although I have considered for a follow-up review, substituting the Curious Cable 0.8m with the LightSpeed 0.8m if only to gauge if there is a downside.

One, therefore, may decide on a specific favored cable, a power supply of their choosing, and everything that comes before and after the RUR, and I imagine they will still be captured by the extraordinary delivery of sonic quality. I imagine it's different for everyone, given preferences for different delivery systems, Dacs, preamps or none, Amps, speakers.

What I have since learned so far on a small scale that it's the RUR that is the focal piece, and what one adds to the equation in price points, brand, is of lesser consequences than I thought. I am glad I decided to substitute the supplied SMPS for my usual LPS. Of course, I could discern a difference, but not gravamen of what the RUR brings to my enjoyment of music. I don't need no stink'n LPS to enjoy the RUR, but the little ole Lady used to say, "It couldn't hurt.."

Even my Bill Evans album I go to sounds different to me, and I have been listening to it for many years and often. Different good or different bad? Different best! There's nothing that competes with the RUR in my opinion one to one.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

It just dawned on me, what am I waiting for? My KEFX300A would benefit from the RUR too. I "DJ" Friday nights for my wife and her massage therapist, and we use my home office/study to locate the massage table. Perhaps, I can get Rob to fashion me a Full Loom for the KEFX300As. Bet that will cost a hefty price. But given what I am presently enjoying, I will just amortize the cost (look how cooperative I can be to myself).

I am sure the line for orders from EJ is out the door by now. Oh, well, more time to save up for the cables. Now that I know the SMPS supplied is good enough, I've got the PS covered. Or something a few steps upwards but affordable. Don't need any jet fuel devices with racing tires. Just take it nice'n easy, as Frank would put it. What a great idea! Just another RUR to make my wife and her massage therapist (and me) as happy as peas in pod in stereo.

Anybody want to buy my Regen (Amber)?

enjoying the music,

Richard

I also have the W4S DAC-2 DSD SE. Very pleased with it, by the way. Probably will add the RUR based on this enthusiastic feedback.

That said, what's the difference between this unit and iFi's "iUSB 3.0" -- which seems to reclock, plus some other stuff.

Thanks.

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

Richard, you head the nail on the head regarding greater sonic detail. Where this really stood out for me was the realism I heard on cymbals. Instead of the usual suspension of disbelief I must deploy when hearing recorded cymbals, the RUR brought me much closer to visualizing that it's not a pan of sizzling bacon I am hearing, but a real cymbal.

Richard, you head the nail on the head regarding greater sonic detail. Where this really stood out for me was the realism I heard on cymbals. Instead of the usual suspension of disbelief I must deploy when hearing recorded cymbals, the RUR brought me much closer to visualizing that it's not a pan of sizzling bacon I am hearing, but a real cymbal.

jsrsub,

Good morning. You just made me chuckle. Your image is what I used to think of when listening to certain jazz recordings.

Some recordings sounded as if I was listening through gauze. Other similar devices may have pulled the veil away, but added to the steely sound. With the RUR, I am in the room and the voicing of the drums, cymbals, brushes, sticks against the rim all sound as close to natural as if sitting front row center at the Vanguard as I have ever heard. Hence my feeling is this a trick? Can it be real? Is the RUR this resolving?

The answer my friends is glowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind. About as real as it gets from a production recording. I feel like I have been waiting for a sonic rendition like this all my life. Everything comes together and renders without any downside I can discern. The thing I had to pay for getting this resolution is the price of the RUR, which is more than reasonable.

Thank you EJ, you just turned my music library into the best seat in the house.

With appreciation,

Richard

I also have the W4S DAC-2 DSD SE. Very pleased with it, by the way. Probably will add the RUR based on this enthusiastic feedback.

That said, what's the difference between this unit and iFi's "iUSB 3.0" -- which seems to reclock, plus some other stuff.

Thanks.

Hello Todd,

Not familiar with the device. But a new thread for the Light Harmonic regeneration thingie for USB 3.0 (I believe) has been started. You're better off posting there, please. If I can recommend the RUR to you, you will be more than pleased with the synergy. Not pushing the Full Loom CC. It also is part of the synergy I am raving about. And I guess I feel like I would be holding back not to at least mention CC, but you can sort that out for yourself. (Smile).

I see your avatar and thing of the London Symphony Orchestra. If not seating first seat in the loge, how about 5th row center from the presidium?

Best,

Richard

Thanks for the review Richard. Sounds like it helped your system a lot, enjoy!

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

Thanks for the review Richard. Sounds like it helped your system a lot, enjoy!

Hello JBNY,

Yes, it did. In a rather profound way. In time, other members may come forward and join me with a similar narrative about their experience with the RUR as jrsub has done a few posts ago.

Appreciate the sentiment in your wishes.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thank You Richard.

I looked on the W4S website and could not find the spec.

Hello jjh1585,

You are correct. And so am I. The voltage is 9volts. I also checked the website and the User Manual. The information is not published there.

I take it that you will trust me when I inform you of something. Or am I incorrect about that.

Best,

Richard

IMG_1104.jpg

I have read many of your postings. I trust your answers completely.

I have placed an order for the RUR and wanted to see if one of my Paul Hynes power supply's would be a match. I could not find the spec until you gave it.

Thanks again.

Hello Again,

Understand. I have no idea what would make that spec not listed. It's important to my mind. But W4S is a small company. I guess things get delegated and maybe missed in the getting to it. Paul Hynes has a good reputation. Would you try the SMPS first or just pass and follow through with the Paul Hynes? I wonder how the supplied SMPS and the Paul Hynes might compare as I am sure many members are concerned about what to feed there hungry RUR, which is silent, runs cool, the dual lights are useful even if out of sight. But I check them for the time being - just for the heck of it.

Let us know what you find and decide. Good fortune with your order. I look forward to reading your report. Members must be sick of me by now (smile).

Best,

Richard