IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

They both do different things to the chain so it depends on the rest of your system or source. That's why some people have said they don't hear much of a difference when they tried it out. My rig is an older HP laptop but, still an I7, and an external usb drive so the chain definitely has some noise to it from the lousy power supply on the laptop on down to the wall wart for the drive. If I had a dedicated audio digital source with a solid quiet power supply and SS drives inside that source, I bet the difference would have been a lot smaller.

If I had to choose what had the bigger effect in sound, that would be the W4s.

I 1000000% agree with the better power supply for the w4s. That was a night and day difference.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Has anyone tried the W4s Recovery downstream an sMS-200? Any improvements?

I did it.

I use a Recovery between a Sotm SMS-200 and a Singer SU-1. It works very, very well. I tried without the RUR but my system sound much better with it. More space, more air, better soundstage.

Sotm and Recovery are powered by a HDPlex linear power supply (9V for RUR and 12V for Sotm).

I read this entire thread, thanks to all that contributed. I'm considering a RUR for my Curious cable fed Chord Mojo and wondering if the RUR benefits from a Curious USB feeding it, rather than just out of it?

If I purchase a RUR second hand, how do I know if I am getting a Rev A or Rev B? Is there a sticker or model number to refer to?

In terms of Aftermarket LPS for the RUR, as I understand it, the ifi LPS might be better than the stock, or maybe just different? The Uptone LPS is better it seems. What is the Cheap Chinese LPS I have seen mentioned?

Thanks

No Disc

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

• 4 weeks later...

Complete noddy question!

Take it the iFi iPower 9v works with the Rev B-C RUR?

W4S state "The Recovery requires between 6 and 9v and ~1A"

And the iPower is 9v ~ 1.5A

I am completely ignorant as to how one would work this out! Suspect it's simple if you know how....

Complete noddy question!

I am completely ignorant as to how one would work this out! Suspect it's simple if you know how....

That should work fine since the rated voltage is a match and the current requirement is a minimum which the iPower exceeds.

Complete noddy question!

Yes, no problem. Better still - get the LPS-1 PSU from UpTone Audio. Well worth the extra $$$.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-02-01 at 3:44 PM, No Disc said:

I read this entire thread, thanks to all that contributed. I'm considering a RUR for my Curious cable fed Chord Mojo and wondering if the RUR benefits from a Curious USB feeding it, rather than just out of it?

If I purchase a RUR second hand, how do I know if I am getting a Rev A or Rev B? Is there a sticker or model number to refer to?

In terms of Aftermarket LPS for the RUR, as I understand it, the ifi LPS might be better than the stock, or maybe just different? The Uptone LPS is better it seems. What is the Cheap Chinese LPS I have seen mentioned?

Thanks

No Disc

There is a sticker on back of RUR - i have revision C and i'm selling it, if you are interested PM me, will make good price for it.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, I am trying to decide on getting the Intona but now I discover this cheaper W4S Recovery, another dilemma. Too many gadgets in computer audio! I read in multiple places that you can use both Intona + W4S, so I guess if I get one first I can always add another. I am not keen on using W4s because it requires PS and it seems LPS works best so then I  would need to find another device and plug The intona seems very easy to use,  just plug and go.  I am using plain MacAir with nothing that isolates it from DAC, so I gather the Intona with galvanic isolation works best to completely isolate the computer noise from the DAC. But presumably the reclocking of W4S also helps?! That is despite having some reclocking in the Intona already  ? 

They do different things.   The w4s i noticed the biggest difference.  

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

I have and still use an Intona.  I did have a W4S but sold it and I have tried a Regen.  I tried them separately and in combination.  All three of these devices did make a difference.  However not every difference is beneficial.  For me, only the Intona provided a benefit.  Of course the experience of others may be different depending upon specific situations.

John

7 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Hi John,

Thanks for your comment. The Intona and probably all others could be system specific. Did you try the ISO Regen ? And used the LPS they have ?  W4S also benefits much from LPS I heard.

Adrian

HI Adrian,

I have not tried the ISO Regen.  I am aware of its existence but not in a hurry to get one.  When I had the W4S I also had a purpose built LPS.  At the moment the chain is Antipodes DX Server, Intona and then Berkeley Alpha USB to the DAC.  For me that is probably enough.

John

• 3 years later...

Sort of resurrecting this thread again. I have to say a big Thank You to W4S for responding to my very recent emails and replying back to me with very useful information. Have to say it's really nice when companies like Wyred4sound still offering great customer service even when it's a for small item (Recovery) and I see that it's still offered in there current product line.

I recently acquired a Recovery (V.3) and this thread has inspired me to build a small rechargeable battery supply for it. When I'm finished with the build and test it in my smaller system(w/battery powered rDAC); I'll post pics and results in this thread. I'm looking forward to trying out this little guy and see what it can do.

Lyngdorf TDA2200 int.\ Accuphase E-211 int.~ Totem \Mani's & "The One\" monitors~Bryston BDA-1 DAC~Halide HD DAC~Micromega Transport~AnTi cables & Synergistic Research cables~JohnBlue JB3~(mod) Totem orig. Model One monitors[br]Mini Mac,1.8ghz Core 2 Duo