IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Hello All:

I wanted to take a moment from my self-imposed time out for cluttering the thread with my OT concerns. I appreciate the generous responses from the members to my request for information. I learned my lesson which I was aware of but ignored. Next time I seek information that is OT to the thread, I will use the PM to gather that information. I don't for a moment fault any one for helping me. And I am very appreciative. But for the OP to clutter the thread with interesting but OT posts, is not appropriate. Please don't be insulted for deleting some of your posts along with mine that were OT.

The thread is back as it should be, devoted to the RUR.

I have it on good authority from EJ that once again a supplier delivered a short supply than what was expected, this time, the USB cables. I thought that this information would be helpful if only to inform fellow members who may be affected by the suppliers shorted shipment. I'd be disappointed too, but I gather EJ in doing business with third party suppliers is subject to what they do and do not. I recall UpTone Audio sometimes goes through this as well. And we have to wait a bit longer than anticipated.

If anyone is wondering what allows me to serve as the messenger, it's because I am a long time customer of Wyred4Sound, and when I get enthusiastic about a product, I respectfully check in for the CA members to keep a pulse on how it's going. Given those who have chosen to order the RUR and expect a delivery, you may not be aware of the realities of doing business and what befalls businesses like Wyred4Sound. I have no financial interest in Wyred4Sound, and I pay my way whether it's hardware or software, i.e. My interest in Amarra as a volunteer beta tester since 2011. I like to keep a pulse on what's happening; and then pass on what I am permitted to pass on to the members.

So far I haven't been labeled a pest by any of the creators of the products I am interested in keeping track of. And sorry for those who must wait a bit longer. As the messenger, please let me know if I need to duck (smile).

Looking forward to learning what those of us who are receiving their orders and becoming familiar with the RUR have to report including your system configuration and connections. My sense is that no matter how resolving one's system, the RUR should take it up a peg or two or...Does it?

Sorry to the thread for my earlier lapse in keeping on topic.

Best,

Richard

From EJ (edited by me for matters not pertinent to the subject):

"Sadly, we have been shorted a shipment of USB cables a couple of days ago and will be able to ship some today and then have to hold until Monday when another order of cables I have coming in arrive."

I keep wanting to validate myself (to myself). I just downloaded Three's Company's We'll Be Together Again, HDtracks.com, Chesky Records, AIFF 192/24, binaural+, being discounted at 25% with a code CPUTOGETHER which is posted in a new thread started by CheskyRecords.

I also downloaded the new beta build for HQPlayer that I have been avoiding until the published build arrives. It's the Mac version, version 7.

Pardon me, Danny Boy is playing and I am getting taken with it while I compose my post. In sharing these two items, what I am really doing is inviting members to discover not only a gorgeous recording, an excellent build (thank you Jussi) but the fruits of a union with the RUR and Full Loom CC. One or the other or both. I am sure the RUR is a priority.

I have reviewed, compared, and now I am sitting back and enjoying what I accomplished that I have no one regret. Not maligning my retired Regen, but it gets awful for me when the newness wears off, and the result is Ah, oh! This is not good. How can that be? Again, my purpose is neither to sell Wyred4Sound's RUR, but I openly admit now that I am more than confident to push the RUR as the best addition to my system ever and so is the Full Loom CC even though I wouldn't know how to apportion which gives how much without the other. Did I just write that?

So, I downloaded Chesky Records, Javon Jackson, Ray Brown, Bill Drummond aka Three's Company, We'll Be Together Again, HQPlayer beta 3.13 version 7 is optional. Pick your favorite software player, Tequila is optional also. Sit back and enjoy a glorious session to sit on. I have been attending live performances in jazz venues in NYC since I was a teenager, and Ray Brown was around all that time and now, I am listening to one of the greatest bassists on the planet. (Please keep up your health). Javon Jackson is exquisite and Bill Drummond a master.

Took some getting used to, the binaural+ recording that is. One mic. At first I was feeling like I had just made Chesky Records a little richer. The sound was a bit distant. The venue kind of empty, like a stage with no audience. And I didn't have the best seat in the house, even though I thought I tipped the Captain adequately (I used to bribe my way to first row tables at the Vanguard and other venues). They had the nerve to look down at what I passed to them.

After a time, this recording got better and better. And then, guess what, it got even more better. Grammar is optional. Hey, it's my post. I didn't like the binaural+ sound, now I do. But more importantly, I cranked up HQPlayer which is not my go-to player (it is for many). Amarra Symphony with iRC is. But damn (in the best Willie Smith phrasing) if the player, the recording, and the RUR/Full Loom CC in time bloomed into an exquisite session; and I had the best seat in the house, without tipping the Captain. Just Chesky Records.

I have been playing HQPlayer for a long time. I have a huge jazz collection. Great recordings and some disappointing, not in artistry and musicality and techniques but in production quality. Something's change dramatically; and, if I keep saying that, you gonna wonder what is he selling?

Step right up and get your enjoyment of music through the lens of RUR in yours system with a Full Loom CC carrying the signal through my system out my KEF Reference 107 to my ears.

Ray Brown's technique and musicality is exquisite. The sounds he produces on the bass is so varied, artful, and expressive, it's mesmerizing. Javon as well. Drummond completes the three. I was taken with how they each modulate the volume of their instrument so let on or the other or all three have a prominence. Remember there's only one mic. Yet even when laying back, the details are ever present in 3D just not as prominent. And then they add volume to their presence and you are taken with their artistry, tone, phrasing. I love Mingus, Chambers and a dozen more. What Brown is able to do with the bass in the variety of textures, vibrato, dare I? Twang, as in pushing the string to the side and (I am sure there is a term for it), plucking with a tonal quality so expressive, the bass is singing.

Given the musicality and technique these musician demonstrates, what I am also focusing on is how that is communicated to me with a dark background (no nothing just sound), clear, clean, expression, in focus, expressive, in 3D. Somehow the musicians who at first seemed father away (one mic sound takes getting used to) over time moved forward. How can that be? As if a camera was taking a medium shot and gradually moved closer so the sound was even more prominent and never compromised. No gloss. No coloration. No edginess. Not cold. Not hot. Just cool jazz beautifully rendered. Not device I have paid a lot for and added to my system that did accomplish an improvement has equaled what the last two editions have.

Eventually, someone is going to do a back to back comparison of the RUR with something else and report his/her findings. My money's on the RUR and honorable mention to the Full Loom CC. What's left to say? The proof is in the pudding. Pick one and let me know what it taste like.

I like the company I am keeping these days.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

PS

This is embarrassing, Kumakuma was kind enough to gently correct me. The bassist is not Ray Brown but Ron Carter, who I have been listening to for decades and also attended live performances of his and the groups he played with when appearing in New York.

Recently I played the André Previn, Joe Pass, Ray Brown, After Hours, to listen to the RUR early on, and suffered a lapse. So everytime you read Ray Brown, it should read Ron Carter. Both genius bassists. Have a listen. Apologies for my embarrassing error. But the music's the same, just mixed up my bassists. (Smile)

Hi Richard

I'm so weak, I couldn't resist the temptation. I just ordered a Wyrd USB Reclocker (I blame/credit you :).

What is interesting (and the main point of my post) is that I emailed the manufacturers of the Wyrd Reclocker to determine if the SBooster Ultra for the Regen SMPS active noise filter could be used with the default power supply which comes with the Reclocker.

I got a response within an hour, and guess what: no problem, the Wyrd is stable even if supplied with voltage as low as 6.5 volts. So the slight reduction in voltage caused by the active filter should present no problem. The SBooster website also states that the Ultra for the Regen will function and filter voltage as high as 9 volts, so no problem there as well.

Like you, I have been making changes to my USB chain (Uptone Regen, CCRL, Intona, SBooster filter and Vbus isolator), Each change has resulted in a significant improvement in SQ. Each listening session after a change is an epiphany. Love the thread. Waiting for delivery with great anticipation.

regards

Barry

Hi Richard

I'm so weak, I couldn't resist the temptation. I just ordered a Wyrd USB Reclocker (I blame/credit you :).

What is interesting (and the main point of my post) is that I emailed the manufacturers of the Wyrd Reclocker to determine if the SBooster Ultra for the Regen SMPS active noise filter could be used with the default power supply which comes with the Reclocker.

I got a response within an hour, and guess what: no problem, the Wyrd is stable even if supplied with voltage as low as 6.5 volts. So the slight reduction in voltage caused by the active filter should present no problem. The SBooster website also states that the Ultra for the Regen will function and filter voltage as high as 9 volts, so no problem there as well.

Like you, I have been making changes to my USB chain (Uptone Regen, CCRL, Intona, SBooster filter and Vbus isolator), Each change has resulted in a significant improvement in SQ. Each listening session after a change is an epiphany. Love the thread. Waiting for delivery with great anticipation.

regards

Barry

Hello Barry in Calgary,

Once motorcycles across Canada as far as Saskatchewan, then made a left turn into Wyoming. Had long hair then; and the local folk were not crazy about a motor cycle driving long haired bearded "hippie"?.

Anyway, I diverge. Welcome to the thread. I accept full blame for overpowering you and persuading you to order the Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker. I am imagining you took the short cut version for the Recovery.

Thank you also for passing on the information Wyred4Sound staff provided that you are sharing with the thread, in case someone wants to know about the choices you are making and have made and the adaptability of present equipment that will work with the RUR, as we affectionately refer to the Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker (saves on paper use).

The SMPS supplied operates on 9volts, which is what I fed the Regen from my JS-2. The supplied SMPS, the Mean Well operated on 7.5 volts. Switching over to the JS-2, I discovered that 9 volts was better than 7volts, which happens to match the same voltage as required for the RUR. I would not want to go lower, only because every sounds so good the way it is at present.

Appreciate your flexibility and desire to reach for changes that result in the best SQ. Epiphany is the operative word. I still have to pinch myself that I am really hearing what I am hearing.

Thank you for the kind words about the thread. Hope your RUR arrives speedily. As shipments arrive and members install the RUR, I imagine the reports will start flowing, and we can all compare notes. What better is the feedback from member users who have direct experience with the RUR, and provide information about the configuration/connection employed. This provides us with a sense of what works well with what.

Please let us know what your assessment when you ready to share with us if you care to. Thank you for stopping by.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Wyrd (by Schiit) or Wyred4Sound? The latter is being discussed in this topic. :)

It's a weird spelling and with a word left out, but I believe Barry is, as you hinted at, awaiting the RUR (just to add another version of a reference for the Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker).

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard--

Thanks again for starting this thread. Q: What approach did you take to your burn-in period with the RUR? I'll do the same.

Incidentally, a listening party planned for Sunday, February 14th may present a nice opportunity for an A/B/X study of the RUR with members of the San Francisco Audiophile Society. Data could then be published to your thread Monday the 15th.

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

Hi Richard--

Thanks again for starting this thread. Q: What approach did you take to your burn-in period with the RUR? I'll do the same.

Incidentally, a listening party planned for Sunday, February 14th may present a nice opportunity for an A/B/X study of the RUR with members of the San Francisco Audiophile Society. Data could then be published to your thread Monday the 15th.

Hello Todd,

Welcome back.

The Full Loom CC was already installed when the RUR arrived. I installed the RUR in place of the Regen. The RUR is powered by the DC1 at 9V of the JS-2 LPS, which is left on 24/7. I launched iTunes and selected an album I favor for high production quality (not that it matters). From time to time, over the eight days, using the Apple Remote App, I changed to a different album, jazz, classical, pop, rock, etc. I checked the two vertical lights (green dots) to confirm signal lock and 2.0 USB type. I turned the volume control of my Wyred4Sound STP-SE Stage 2 to whisper level about 5 or 6 so that I could detect that the album was playing and had not stopped. I clicked on play and accepted that, for the next four days, my outcome was to accumulate 100+ hours for the RUR.

Just to be clear, the reason I refer to eight (8) days is to include that for the first 4 days of playtime, I burned in the Full Loom of CC which arrived before the RUR. The CRL200mm arrived first and I started a burnin for that and about 4 days later I ordered the CC08m. And when that arrived continued the burnin. By the time the RUR arrived I had 100+ hours on the Full Loom CC, at the end of the eight + days, I had 200+ hours on the Full Loom CC and 100+ hours, twice the recommended breakin admonished by the User Manual 1.0, page3.

I then felt I had given both elements, the RUR and the Full Loom CC sufficient breakin/burnin to then compare to the Regen. I have had the Regen in play since June 2015; but in fairness not with the Full Loom CC only the CRL200mm then the CC08m for four (4) days, the replaced the Regen with the RUR with another four days on the RUR and the Full Loom CC.

That's it. I also replaced the JS-2 with the SMPS supplied with the RUR and played three (3) full albums while composing my three-part review for the RUR, followed by the comparison for the RUR and the Regen. I have since switched back to the JS-2, DC1 at 9V to power the RUR and retired the SMPS.

Hope this helps, even if more than you wanted. (Smile).

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

With some help, I ordered an adapter that fits over the UpTone Audio cable used to power the Regen. That cable which I intend to use to power the Recovery USB Reclocker is terminated with a 2.5mm plug (5.5mmX2.5mm). However I learned that the Recovery requires a plug in the size of 5.5mmX2.1mm. Not going to even try to use the tip at the wrong size. However, a little birdie told me about an adapter that converts the 2.5mm tip into a 2.1mm tip which will then fit into the power port of the Recovery. Just passing this on to whomever might wish to set up their Recovery with a similar configuration from a power source with a separate cable. If it's tipped with 2.1mm not need for the adapter.

Just more information offered to help out. 2 days and counting. Or do I need to back up...?

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I ordered a Recovery yesterday and would like to also order a linear power supply to power it. I considered the ifi ipower but read on other threads that the el cheapo Chinese LPSUs are better. The unit I'm considering is this one Link. It's a 9v 3.3 amp unit with a plug head size of 5.5mm outer dia. and 2.1mm inner dia.

Based on your somewhat extensive knowledge of the Recovery, do you think that this LPSU would be a good choice?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daren

Hi Richard,

I ordered a Recovery yesterday and would like to also order a linear power supply to power it. I considered the ifi ipower but read on other threads that the el cheapo Chinese LPSUs are better. The unit I'm considering is this one Link. It's a 9v 3.3 amp unit with a plug head size of 5.5mm outer dia. and 2.1mm inner dia.

Based on your somewhat extensive knowledge of the Recovery, do you think that this LPSU would be a good choice?

Thanks,

Daren

Hello Daren,

Welcome to the thread.

While I am learning more and more about the Recovery outside the technical details, though I have read about the el cheapo at other threads, I have NO experience. My practice is not to comment or recommend anything about which I have read about but have no direct experience. I think it's too important and not prudent to recommend a power supply I am ignorant about. I did click on the supplied link (thank you). However,

What I recommend is that you email Wyred4Sound and provide them with the best description and information about the el cheapo and get feedback from W4S Support. I did run my JS-2 LPS DC1 at 9V by W4S support staff just to be careful; and they were fine with my choice.

Another reason for my abstaining is that I have read controversial posts about el cheapo. Some positive. Some negative. For example Paul Hynes is regarded as excellent. Not a recommendation for the same reason. I have never used one of his products. I believe the price points are different. There are several other at different price points.

I would love to be helpful but not if I lack the specific knowledge and experience to be helpful about. Sorry to disappoint.

Best,

Richard

PS

Please be careful. The 2.5mm may fit the DC port on the back of the Recovery, but not prudent to use it. As you indicated 2.1mm is the correct size and should be used only. I have this on direct authority from W4S Support.

Hi Richard,

Thanks,

Daren

I own two 9V El Cheap-O's and just ordered a RUR (I was using these to power my former Regens). I sent W4S an email asking if it is OK to use the El Cheap-O with the RUR and Tony Holt of W4S responded:

"Hi Blake,

Provided the power supplies are stable, 9v and correct polarity, operationally they should be fine with the Recovery. With respect to sound quality improvements, it would be impossible for me to say and best judged by you. I suggest comparing the two in your system once you get the Recoveries.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tony"

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Richard & Blake,

Thanks for your reply. I was mainly concerned with amperage and the plug size required for the Recovery. I would test the LPSU for correct polarity prior to connecting. I read on another thread that someone fried their Regen because of incorrect polarity.

Daren

I own two El Cheap-O's and just ordered a RUR. I sent W4S an email asking if it is OK to use the El Cheap-O with the RUR and Tony Holt of W4S responded:

"Hi Blake,

Provided the power supplies are stable, 9v and correct polarity, operationally they should be fine with the Recovery. With respect to sound quality improvements, it would be impossible for me to say and best judged by you. I suggest comparing the two in your system once you get the Recoveries.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tony"

Hello Blake,

Perfect timing!

Daren, your Universe is programmed to support you. Now you have your answer.

Blake: Thank you for the great support.

This is a perfect example of what I intended for this thread being a resource for the membership by the membership, and others with the requisite knowledge to provide us with reliable information for how to, problem solving etc.

Best,

Richard

Richard & Blake,

Thanks for your reply. I was mainly concerned with amperage and the plug size required for the Recovery. I would test the LPSU for correct polarity prior to connecting. I read on another thread that someone fried their Regen because of incorrect polarity.

Daren

Yes, I read about a fried Regen too, although I did not know or recall what was the causation. As I indicated the plug size for the Recovery is 2.1mm (not 2.5mm which will fit).

Best,

Richard

Hi All

I'm sorry for calling the W4S RUR the Wyrd USB reClocker. I did mean the Wired 4 Sound ReClocker.

But more important than that, I just received an email from Wiebren Drainer of SBooster that indicates the SBooster will likely not work with the W4S ReClocker.

The SBooster reduces the SMPS voltage to to 6.15 volts unfortunately the W4S power supply voltage should be no lower than 6.5 volts.

I was a little too anxious to share what I thought was good news.

Richard, downloaded "We'll be Togeher Again" from HDTRACKS. You're right it is amazing!

My Best

Barry

Hi All

I'm sorry for calling the W4S RUR the Wyrd USB reClocker. I did mean the Wired 4 Sound ReClocker.

But more important than that, I just received an email from Wiebren Drainer of SBooster that indicates the SBooster will likely not work with the W4S ReClocker.

The SBooster reduces the SMPS voltage to to 6.15 volts unfortunately the W4S power supply voltage should be no lower than 6.5 volts.

I was a little too anxious to share what I thought was good news.

Richard, downloaded "We'll be Togeher Again" from HDTRACKS. You're right it is amazing!

My Best

Barry

Hello Barry,

Not to worry, we got what you intended. Just to be clear, the company is Wyred4Sound, the device is the Recovery USB Reclocker. I coined the neumonic RUR to make it easier to refer to with less typing. I tend to create neumonics often.

Sorry you were disappointed by the prospects that turned out not to deliver what you were hoping for. I have no technical competencies, but in my experience nine (9) volts works best for me having experience with other similar devices at 7.5 and 7 volts, until I settled on 9 volts. If Wyred4Sounds indicates that one may employ a power supply with 6.5 volts at the minimum, far be for me, to contradict them. And given that information my preference is irrelevant except that I follow my own lead of nine volts which feels the best (number nine as the Beatles refer to) has cache.

Thank you for the information which may be useful to other members. This thread is a resource for the Recovery.

Best,

Richard

Just received my RUR... Ordered last weekend received yesterday!! Very fast though I'd be way down the list... All the while watching this thread.

Couldn't get it installed fast enough. Initial impressions impressive very impressive indeed.

Ditto on what Richard has shared on initial impressions... The thought of this opening up more ...

DAC is PS Audio DirectStream DSD, .5 meter AudioQuest Carbon USB to a Krell Vanguard Integrated AMP and Sonus Faber Olympica II's. Power cables are all PS Audio AC-12's interconnects are Morrow Audio MA-4's and speaker cables SP-4's

I installed an ifi 9v PS and used the stock supplied USB out of my MacMini through PureAudio 3.0 software pulling from my NAS to the RUR. 192k 16 bit input

I have the Bridge II installed in my PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC so will compare later once the RUR "burns in".

This is very enjoyable indeed...

All my Ray Brown is on vinyl... Hmmm

T

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Just received my RUR... Ordered last weekend received yesterday!! Very fast though I'd be way down the list... All the while watching this thread.

Couldn't get it installed fast enough. Initial impressions impressive very impressive indeed.

Ditto on what Richard has shared on initial impressions... The thought of this opening up more ...

DAC is PS Audio DirectStream DSD, .5 meter AudioQuest Carbon USB to a Krell Vanguard Integrated AMP and Sonus Faber Olympica II's. Power cables are all PS Audio AC-12's interconnects are Morrow Audio MA-4's and speaker cables SP-4's

I installed an ifi 9v PS and used the stock supplied USB out of my MacMini through PureAudio 3.0 software pulling from my NAS to the RUR. 192k 16 bit input

I have the Bridge II installed in my PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC so will compare later once the RUR "burns in".

This is very enjoyable indeed...

All my Ray Brown is on vinyl... Hmmm

T

Hello T,

Welcome to the thread!

Congratulations on the delivery of your RUR. That was indeed fast. Thank you for the configuration/connection information, which is so helpful to understand the variety of synergies and the performance of the RUR.

As your I nitial impression is similar to mine, I am confortable predicting that it will only get better. I checked in at ~50 hours briefly. Of course on a different system than yours. And then again at 100+ to write my review and comparison review with the Regen.

And btw: you have a lovely system. I am also curious about that, to wit: the level of a resolving system and how the RUR affects the sonic quality. I imagine from your description, that you have a resolving system and the RUR is discernible in adding to that resolution.

Frankly, I knew in the first second the RUR was something special. And in a similar way when I switched from the Synergistic Research Active SE USB cable to the Light Harmonic LightSpeed 0.8m (standard, red). Same with the CRL200mm, but not in the first second. I think it took 10 seconds (smile). With the CC08m a touch longer.

Speaking of Ray Brown, who I love among the many bassists who distinguish their genius with us, I played the André Previn, Joe pass, Ray Brown, After Hours UHD 32 Bit redbook CD to assess the RUR among several other.

And, I recently downloaded from HDtracks.com, Three's Company, Javon Jackson, Ron Carter (who I previously identified as Ray Brown) and Bill Drummond, the Chesky Records, binaural +, 192/24, We'll Be Together. The recording was produced with a single Mic. It took several tracks to acclimate my acuity which at first, I felt distant about it. And then suddenly the musicians moved in closer, seriously. Don't know how that cold happen. But I am not imagining that. I am sure you have sufficient media to take the RUR through its paces.

I am looking forward to your assessment when you're ready. Let us know how many hours you have accumulated when you decide to report your findings.

I am imagining it will just keep getting better and better, and your experience of your music library may change with the improvement of sonic quality from your existing library.

Good fortune, and thank you for stopping by,

Richard

Richard thank you for the welcome I must get that HDTracks download. Yes given how well my system resolves it is extremely "sensitive" to improvements in power, interconnects, speaker cable and interfaces... I would be glad to share my listening experience at 50 and 100 hrs as well as specific comparisons to different PS sources into the RUR as well as USB cables. I will definitely be comparing a direct Ethernet stream into my DAC vs USB w/RUR.

I have been frustrated with upnp control point apps in iOS ... Lack of maturity functionality in some and reliability in others(stopping after one song or two) but streaming from my NAS always sounded better than with USB!!!

Reading about reclockers and the overall design flaws in USB in general when stumbling across your post got me thinking to consider the RUR.

Last night we turned the lights down "sat on the sweet spot" for listening and listened to tracks we were extremely familiar with.... We heard sounds and details we had never heard or recalled hearing or "observing" as subtleties within the music on the edges of the darkness between notes the lighter touches of a drumstick on snare....a brush on a cymbal or the slide of fingers on the strings of the bass or guitar, even the ever so slight clicking of a musician fingering his sax keys before the note and the sound of breath that comes with the note. Lori asked if I was sleeping and I said no but I feel like I am dreaming this... This device is special... More to come...

T

Richard thank you for the welcome I must get that HDTracks download. Yes given how well my system resolves it is extremely "sensitive" to improvements in power, interconnects, speaker cable and interfaces... I would be glad to share my listening experience at 50 and 100 hrs as well as specific comparisons to different PS sources into the RUR as well as USB cables. I will definitely be comparing a direct Ethernet stream into my DAC vs USB w/RUR.

I have been frustrated with upnp control point apps in iOS ... Lack of maturity functionality in some and reliability in others(stopping after one song or two) but streaming from my NAS always sounded better than with USB!!!

Reading about reclockers and the overall design flaws in USB in general when stumbling across your post got me thinking to consider the RUR.

Last night we turned the lights down "sat on the sweet spot" for listening and listened to tracks we were extremely familiar with.... We heard sounds and details we had never heard or recalled hearing or "observing" as subtleties within the music on the edges of the darkness between notes the lighter touches of a drumstick on snare....a brush on a cymbal or the slide of fingers on the strings of the bass or guitar, even the ever so slight clicking of a musician fingering his sax keys before the note and the sound of breath that comes with the note. Lori asked if I was sleeping and I said no but I feel like I am dreaming this... This device is special... More to come...

T

Hello again, T,

That confirms what I was interested in knowing. I have the same experiences. And with a system as resolving as yours, and as mine, the Recovery is not meant to make up for what missing because a system is unresolving, it delivers what a system can render with exceptional clarity, details, textures, musicality and techniques.

Hence my reason for recommending Three's Company's We'll Be Together. Ron Carter is a virtuoso and his musicality and technique is so apparent on this recording as well as Javon Jackson's gorgeous renditions with Bill Drummond setting the fabric of rhythm. The details of his drum playing and style are so apparent. I thought you might not only enjoy the recording for its artistry but to further explore what the RUR brings to our system NO MATTER how good are systems are.

Thank you for getting back to me.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

Yes, I read about a fried Regen too, although I did not know or recall what was the causation. As I indicated the plug size for the Recovery is 2.1mm (not 2.5mm which will fit).

Hi Richard,

Largely because of this thread, I ordered a W4S Recovery USB Reclocker and look forward to trying it with my dual Curious Cable setup.

However, are you sure about the power plug size?

I ask because Wyred 4 Sound's own page for the Reclocker -- this page -- specifically notes:

"The connector is 2.5mm in diameter and (+) is on the inside of the connector."

Just a caveat here...

Dave, who uses a 9V CIAudio linear power supply now with his Regen and will use the same with the Recovery unit

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Hi Richard,

Largely because of this thread, I ordered a W4S Recovery USB Reclocker and look forward to trying it with my dual Curious Cable setup.

However, are you sure about the power plug size?

I ask because Wyred 4 Sound's own page for the Reclocker -- this page -- specifically notes:

"The connector is 2.5mm in diameter and (+) is on the inside of the connector."

Just a caveat here...

Dave, who uses a 9V CIAudio linear power supply now with his Regen and will use the same with the Recovery unit

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the thread. I am happy if the thread was helpful to you. And I look forward to your assessment, if you care to post here at the time you're ready to report your findings. Please include the configuration/connections for your system as it helps the thread readers knowing what other members employ and the results after adding the RUR to that system.

Thank you for bringing up the power plug size. I just visited Wyred4Sound's website (not for the first time, smile). Yes you are correct. The site says 2.5.

Now compare what the website reads, and what EJ said in an email to me when I asked him early on inquiring if my JS-2 and the customs cable Alex made for the Regen tipped with 2.1mm for the Regen DC port was applicable. EJ responded thusly: The recovery will need a 2.1x5.5 plug and from the looks of it on their site, that is what the Regen uses (this plug is quite common and what we use for all our other small units) .

And if you visit the UpTone Audio website at the Regen information page, 2.1mm is the tip size employed. The MMK which I replaced for my Mac Mini's factory power supply takes the 2.5mm tip.

So when I reported in my post the information I imparted was based on two sources, to wit: 1. EJ's confirmation; 2. When my RUR arrived, I merely replaced the Regen with the RUR and inserted the same cable used for the Regen into the RUR.

If it would help, I'd be glad to email EJ and inquire given his confirmation for the tip for the Recovery at 2.1mm, is the Wyred4Sound website information page which refers to the tip size as 2.5mm incorrect.

Of course, your assessment is to be determined after you receive the Recovery. I know you know the admonishment for breakin is ~50 hours. I waited until 100+ before composing my review for this thread, and the comparison with the Regen for the comparison thread. You may have also read that I had accumulated 200+ hours on the Full Loom CC by the time I reviewed the RUR.

I'll get back to the thread with EJ's response about the inconsistency for the tip size measurement.

Good fortune with your decision. I hope you are rewarded for following through.

Best,

Richard

PS

Email sent

Hello All,

Though I published accurate information for the correct plug tip diameter of 2.1mm for the power cable into the Recovery's DC power port, David/Cycleman took notice that the information page for the Recovery at the Wyred4Sound website, listed the power plug tip diameter at 2.5mm for insertion into the Recovery.

While I am confident of the information I published, anyone can make a mistake. I emailed EJ Sarmento for two purposes, to wit: 1. Notify him of what I believe is an error at his website. 2. Invite EJ to confirm the correctness of my information for the benefit of the membership and remove any confusion between what I described here at the thread and what one may read at the website which indicated a different diameter size.

As expected, EJ responded, and I am passing his comments on to clear up any confusion. It has since been corrected at the Wyred4Sound website.

Best,

Richard

From EJ (edited to remove personal exchanges):

"Thank you for your email...rather an annoyance with the person in charge of this. I will have to update the site, 2.1mm x 5.5mm is correct as noted before. Sorry for the confusion."

David/Cycleman took notice that the information page for the Recovery at the Wyred4Sound website, listed the power plug tip diameter at 2.5mm for insertion into the Recovery.

From EJ (edited to remove personal exchanges):

"Thank you for your email...rather an annoyance with the person in charge of this. I will have to update the site, 2.1mm x 5.5mm is correct as noted before. Sorry for the confusion."

Cool. Always happy to be the catalyst for positive change.

(The W4S page is already corrected.)

Thanks for getting right on this, Richard.

Music is love, made audible.

RUR "Burn-in" Experience Update

40 hrs... In continues to amaze... It's definitely opening up ... the soundstage depth and detail are blossoming ...allot!

One advantage of the the enhanced USB RUR over an Ethernet DLNA Stream via a upnp control point with the is of leveraging player software like Pure Music 3.0 as well as many other Music Streaming or player Applications.

My point is the Wyred4Sound RUR has significantly enhanced my Tidal HIFI stream experience sonically in almost everyway. Music that has been recorded in an exceptional way can benefit greatly from having the RUR in the stream. 48k 16 bit streams sound wonderful.

I wouldn't doubt that the RUR would make any system sound better but the degree of improvement, as Richard stated also comes with your systems capabilities.

I find the RUR incredibly neutral and what it is doing to the lower ranges in terms of tight controlled bass is apparent. The detail throughout the entire frequency range is revealed by the clarity this little device provides.

Music selections that have allot of dark space, pauses that let the notes, percussion, strings and strums, in a softer realm will reveal what beneIts RUR can deliver to your listening experience.

If you really enjoy listening in a way you can almost get inside of your music and be immersed in subtle details and nuance you have not heard before then you must at least try this enhancement. I have and am stunned at what it is doing.

I am taking it out of the USB "chain" between my MacMini and DirectStream DAC and the result is immediate... A veil or blanket is applied when the RUR is removed it looses the 3D qualities I'm experiencing when the RUR is in line. Without a doubt it 'reveals' a much better presentation of the music.

I find I am now looking within my music catalog for those artists and recordings that will really shine with the improvement the RUR is delivering in terms of enabling the resolving power of my DAC.

Don't try to overthink this decision your ears will tell you right away... It really doesn't take long for the RUR to begin showing what it can do.

Oh one other note... I am testing two separate systems with the same DAC

A Denon AVR 4311CI to a pair of Definative Technology Studio Monitor 350's as well as my HIFI Krell Vanguard Integrated to Sonus Faber Olympica II's. I can easily see the improvement through both systems. I have no doubt that you do not need to have a very expensive system to experience a unique audio improvement in what you will hear..

T