IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Hello All:

About the DC adapter for the Recovery if one is to use the existing DC cable that either came with the UpTone Audo JS-2 LPS or was ordered as an additional cable, I believe EJ misunderstood me and recommended an adapter in reverse to what will work.

I just sent EJ a detailed request for clarification. And I will wait for his reply and then post the answer. I believe EJ said the Recovery accepts a DC cable to power it with a 2.1mm tip and NOT a tip at 2.5mm.

Therefore, please excuse my error in not checking out the adapter and just ordering it willy-nilly. My mistake for not checking it out first.

i will publish the correct information when EJ confirms to me what is correct.

My apologies,

Richard

Hello All:

My first recommendation is not to listen to me ever again. Except this once. Today seems to be Richard's apology day for getting a few things wrong.

And to be clear, EJ was right about everything. It's I who got it wrong. I have already apologized to EJ. So let me complete the cycle.

I had an epiphany a short time ago. I remembered I had ordered a custom built cable from UpTone Audio for the Regen so I could power the Regen from the JS-2 LPS. The custom cable built was tipped on the end that fits into the Regen with a 2.1mm tip. It's the cable from the JS-2 LPS to the Mac Mini to power the Mac Mini that is tipped with 2.5mm.

Therefore, if you already have a cable with 5.5mm into the JS-2 LPS and one that fits the Regen that end tip of 2.1mm will also fit the Recovery which requires the same size tip of 2.1mm and NOT 2.5mm as I insisted.

The adapter I suggested is not the right one or even needed in my circumstance as I already have a custom built cable with the correct tip size for both the Regen or the Recovery.

So, all those members who were waiting for me to recover from my senior moment, I am very happy to announce I am ready to receive the next step for my Recovery.

Over and out.

Richard

Thanks for correcting this information Richard, you just made an honest mistake and graciously owned up to it. So since the Recovery uses a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power connector which is the same as that used on the Regen, anyone using a power supply which fits the Regen should not need an adapter to use the same supply with the Recovery. That certainly makes things much easier!

Thanks for correcting this information Richard, you just made an honest mistake and graciously owned up to it. So since the Recovery uses a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power connector which is the same as that used on the Regen, anyone using a power supply which fits the Regen should not need an adapter to use the same supply with the Recovery. That certainly makes things much easier!

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your understanding. Even though the Recovery comes with a wall SMPS 9V, I am not going to use it. If by some chance retaining the Regen and the Recovery works for an advantage, then I will need to procure another LPS to power one or the other. But I'll come to that if and when that configuration is desirable.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

A drastically reduced number of shipments (limited to about 10 units) of the Wyred4Sound's new Recovery USB Reclocker, limited by a third party supplier's unfortunate failure to deliver on delivering the complete order of an essential part delayed until January 28th, will commence either today and or tomorrow. The short fall of an essential part was a huge disappointment for EJ Sarmento.

Ten of us can expect shortly to receive a tracking number for their shipment which either leaves W4S today or tomorrow.

If the supplier follows through, in three (3) days, on January 28th, the full compliment of parts will be received; and EJ and his staff can set to commencing the fabrication testing and running in the start of the many orders received with the expectation of fulfilling thpse orders in as timely a schedule as possible. I know EJ rejects the delay and having to disappoint so many customers.

The shipment of the few beginning units was his way of demonstrating his good faith, which I am sue no one questions. If I can find out any further information about the timing of the fulfillment for those orders yet to be fabricated, I will publish the information at this thread.

Not aware of how EJ intends to give us further information to keep us informed.

As I posted, I am one of those who will be receiving a new Recovery USB Reclocker which I imagine is being sent by ground. However long that takes from California to New York. When it does arrive, I am happy to photograph the actual unit given the photograph at W4S's website leaves a lot to be desired. And I will also provide some preliminary findings for what I am able to discern.

Given my interest in the big picture, to wit,what the Recovery USB Reclocker delivers in stand-alone mode between source and Dace, a W4S Dac2 DSDse (what a surprise), what the combination of the new Full Loom of Curious Cables and the Recovery bring; How the Recovery compares to the Regen. Will the AQJBs still provide a.useful contribution to the sonic quality from source to speakers; the difference, if any, in powering the REcovery from the supplied SMPS wall unit vs the UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS DC1 output at 9V.

Given the Recovery USB Reclocker requires a certain number of hours advocated by EJ Sarmento, any findings are intended to be preliminary and transitional.

For those who missed out on the first token shipment, sorry for your disappointment. I know EJ will want to get the fabrication going with determination and make up for the delay. But he's also someone who has to get it right, so the timing will be what it is.

Look forward to sharing good news.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

My tracking number for the Recovery USB Reclocker arrived by email. I should have more to post on Friday when scheduled to arrive.

I hope for those parts needed for the majority of the orders will arrive on Thursday and posts will follow to indicate by next week that the list for those of us who will be receiving our Recovery USB Reclockers will grow exponentially.

I'll have more to post in a few days.

Best,

Richard

Much better image of Recovery now on Wyred's site.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23763[/ATTACH]

I get mine Friday as well. :)

Hello jrsub,

That's good news. Thank you for the better image. Photographs are always appreciated. I look forward to your report of your findings, if you should care to submit them.

Wishing you a speedy Recovery (smile).

Richard

• 2.6" x 1.7" x 0.9" (L x W x H)

image.jpeg

Just noticed that the Recovery USB page has been updated with some additional details and FAQs.

Hello Bill,

Yes, for good reason. I would have accomplished the same outcome by providing the same information for the benefit of CA members who are interested in discovering more about the Recovery to help them understand how the Recovery USB Reclocker might be employed in their system and what advantages they may experience (expect).

EJ Sarmento, to his credit, has now expanded the "more information" so that readers from the World-at-large as well as CA members now have more "more information". And that's a good thing. I was just about to augment what has previously been posted here as I have EJ's permission to do so; but that would be redundant as EJ has taken the initiative, and I am content for my part and very pleased to have had a hand in offering him my perspectives. However, the credit goes to EJ Sarmento for following through given the many responsibilities he carries running and designing and seeing that we are taken care by providing the best support (in the best sense) for pre-sales and after sale when needed.

Thank you, Bill, for providing a link to the updated page for the Recovery USB Reclocker at Wyred4Sound's website. And thank you EJ Sarmento.

My tracking number indicates tomorrow, or shortly, today for delivery.

If there's anything to report as a preliminary comment that might be informative about the Recovery USB Reclocker brand new out of the box, I will be happy to comment. EJ encourages one to give it the hours of breakin it needs to blossom. And I am quite familiar with breaking in Wyred4Sound components, cables, and soon to be the Recovery USB Reclocker.

I never know what to expect, but, in truth, over the years, I have never regretted purchasing any of those components in my system since 2011, which over the years have been upgraded and improved. I feel like I not only got what I bargained for, but those upgrades transformed my components into new components that delivered to me a level of performance I had not bargained for and serendipitously to my grand advantage.

What would make me hesitate to sight unseen and with no direct experience NOT take up the Recovery USB Reclocker?

To be continued, when my UPS guy favors me with a delivery. What ever I learn, I will gladly share with the membership.

Best,

Richard

Hello All,

UPS just delivered my Recovery USB Reclocker. I took some photographs which I am presenting for the time being while the little Recovery warms up. It's cold in New York. Won't install the Recovery until it reaches room temperature. In the meantime, if you care to gaze at some photographs, this is what is included. The Recovery is tiny. The wall PS is fundamental. And the short USB cable is six inches long, also quite fundamental.

I plan to swap out the Regen for the Recovery, connect the Recovery to my W4S Dac2 DSDse employing the Curious Regen Link 200mm and power the Recovery by the DC1, 9V output from UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS. From source (Mac Mini) to the Recovery, I will be employing the Curious Cable USB 0.8m with over 100 hours.

I'll report my findings later today, time permitting. Really want the Recovery to reach room temperature. Like the Regen it's tiny but "cute". Next I focus on how it performs not how it looks.

BTW: EJ Sarmento thought it best to reduce the cost using a Laser engraved Logo. However, he might decide to redesign the cover so that the blue light Wyred Logo will replace the Laser engraved Logo. Just passing on what may come down the line. Given the Recovery will be out of sight but not out of mind, I am not disappointed about the decision to forego the blue lit Wyred Logo.

Thank you EJ for getting this together for us. And hopefully, the other orders will be fabricated and shipped out next week.

Best,

Richard

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

nice, looking forward to what you hear, if anything. Just curious why do you let it warm up to room temperature before plugging it in? Electronics if anything probably work better at lower temps than they do when warm,

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

nice, looking forward to what you hear, if anything. Just curious why do you let it warm up to room temperature before plugging it in? Electronics if anything probably work better at lower temps than they do when warm,

Hello JBNY,

It's 31degrees in NY. I have no wish to plug the unit in after it's been transported on a UPS truck since early this AM. I am not contradicting your POV, but as with amps, they don't sound best until they reached a certain temperature range, n'est ce pas? So I am not sure whether your recommendation is one I would follow. Nothing personal. I am just considering counter-examples like the one I just referred to. Incidentally, I have often read manuals for electronic equipment as in audio that admonish one to wait for the unit to reach operating temperatures and if transported in cold regions upon the delivery to let the unit reach room temperature.

In any case, when it reaches room temperature, I will replace the Regen, plug in the Full Loom of Curious Cables which now have 100+ hours. Hook up power from the JS-2 DC1 9V and launch Amarra Symphony with iRC in Playlist mode and start with the Bill Evans, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 of 3, XLD conversion to AIFF 44.1/16, Stereo and take it from there.

I'll be sure to play a variety of genre and sample rates. And be happy to share my experience with you and any interested members.

kennyb123 is also expecting his Recovery. So you will get to hear from more than myself.

Later,

Richard

No worries, I'm in NY too. I always felt that those warnings were for people who lived further north and can get things that are outside in -20 temps. But as I said no worries, take your time. It's all about having fun.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

Hello All:

Moving on from the right temperature to the right sound for my system, my Recovery USB Reclocker is now installed and doing its thing. And very well I will say.

The wall PS is a clunky thing that I would never use. I am a bit taken back by its presentation. Not what I would expect form EJ Sarmento. I did not bother with the provided six inch USB cable. I remove both AQJBs, one that was in tandem with the Curious Cable USB 0.8m and next door the other in the empty USB Output port but because of the its thickness I had to use an extender of 4 inches. It's gone both of the AQJB.

Connecting the Curious Cable USB 0.8m to the Recovery was a simple matter. So, too, was the DC1, 9V, cable from the JS-2 used to power the Regen. As expected the 2.1mm tip fits perfectly into the Recovery. The CRL200mm or should I call it the CRL200mm (R for Recovery)? fits snugly. All the connections have a firm fit, and nothing feels flimsy. The tolerances are excellent. Like closing the door to an expensive car. Only it's not the sound that impresses but the feedback when the connections are made.

Two tiny vertically located green lights between the Curious Cable and DC1 power cables light up but not when the power cable was plugged in. I was surprised and just a tad disconcerted. Did I get the first broken one? Of course NOT.

With Amarra Symphony launched in Playlist mode, I dragged and dropped the Bill Evans, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 of 3 my go-to beta test album, and pressed play. iRC (impulse response control) was set and Gain Bypass enabled. If you're a Amarra Symphony user you will understand. I enabled the meters for feedback but I am so familiar with the recording that I don't need to look for clipping. In Playlist mode, gapless play is automatic and this Bill Evans album is a live recording.

I know someone out there is asking (politely?) is Richard ever going to get to the SQ part? How about now. But first just to recap, Curious Cable USB 0.8m from Mac Mini to Recovery and CRL200mm from Recovery to W4S Dac2 DSDse. Nothing else. No AQJBX2. Nada.

I had as of Thursday night completed 100hours and left the system play all night and all day today knowing the Recovery would arrive by UPS sometime in the afternoon.

A disclosure or two: I started into computer audio in 2011 with a Mac Mini (not the same one I am employing now see my signature) and all Wyred4Sound components, to wit: The Dac2 upgraded to Dac2 DSDse, updated to Femto Clock modification, the STP-SE preamp upgraded to the Stage 2, and SX-1000 Mono blocks X2 (no modifications available but new amps are being designed for the near future and I already have my dibs in for them). And I also bought all the software players back then and soon settled on Amarra Full as it was known then. By now most members know I beta test for Sonic Studio since 2011 on a volunteer basis and love the program.

You also may know by reading my signature that I own the JS-2 LPS, the Regen (amber never the green) and the MMK with fan controller and a custom built coax cable for the Regen, which providently now fits the Recovery. This finding is not meant to compare the Regen to the Recovery, but it can't be helped if in reviewing my first impressions of the Recovery I gush over the tiny little thing.

So let me say in all honestly, I just fell in love with the Recovery out of the box. I am prepared to accept whatever may occur to the members about my judgment, motivations, loyalties etc. And I also prepared to acknowledge that I am not sure the how precisely to differentiate the Recovery from the Regen without ranking them. Because in some respects they accomplish the same outcome and in other respects the Recovery fits in with the SQ I associate first with Wyred4Sound components which if you were to read my thread and the review of the Dac2 DSDse after the upgrade in 2013, you would be hearing the same characteristics. Even that "it needs more hour of breaking" which EJ Sarmento has already commented the Recovery will need for it to blossom. I can hear that. Hence my findings are of a device out of the box and are preliminary. The Recovery is surely going to change as all the Wyred 4 Sounds components have. Typically up to 400 hours. But EJ suggest 200 hours will result in a blossom that is noticeable.

And the SQ is gorgeous. There is NONE of the digital sound I associated with the Regen that eventually I found too bright for my tastes, and which prompted me serendipitously (or by accident is probably more realistic) to try the one AQJB which ameliorated that brightness, then a second AQJB was added and as Goldilocks pronounced, "just right", Except for me the lingering brightness has always been there and I find it distracting. I also experienced a change in the lower bass which was more prominent before the Regen was added. Yet the the instrument locations, instrument voices, soundstage dimensions, human vocals, height and width of the soundstage improved with the Regen such that I was stuck between wanting to let it go and unable to do so.

There is NO brightness with the Recovery. It fits right in to what I recall early on with the other Wyred4Sound components. So if that admission qualifies me as having a bias for W4S components, I will plead guilty. But guilty of what? The SQ is full, lush, vivid, neutral, not as clear as I prefer but that was the way it was early on with the main components. Always hinting it could be better. Better Good? In time I could feel the change in SQ in the gradual relaxation of the sound. Not only what I heard but what I felt. And typically that occurred with a Aha moment along the hours of play continuum. Today was very different from yesterday. What changed?

I have that deja vu all over again experience with the Discovery. I purposefully completed the wrong word but that's what came out of me. I meant Recovery. I have been through this before several times with each upgrade. Perhaps, it's an EJ Sarmento built in signature sound that starts familiar and then gets better and better and better. And then one day, the plateaues that came and went followed by changes for the better and then I stopped thinking about changes and settled in and enjoyed the music.

I hadn't intended to go off on a review, but I am so impressed I need to get over it. Admittedly, I did not start off with the AQJBX2 with the Regen. They came soon after when what I mistook for a transitional sound that would change remained bright. I do not foresee returning the AQJBX2 to my system. And, frankly, I don't give a damn Scarlett.

I am not seeking any member's approval or agreement. Rather, if inclined, go check the Recovery out for yourselves. But check it out as it's the only way to assess whether what I have discerned for my part is anything like what you will.

I started a Curious Cable thread because I also decided the quality of the SQ rendered by the CC was exceptional and replaced my Light Harmonic LightSpeed 0.8m (standard red). The Curious Cable is closer to the the LightSpeed in terms of SQ characteristics than the Recovery is to the Regen. I guess there's no way for me to avoid a comparison if not now then later.

After some hours of playtime, I intend to remove the Recovery and connect my LightSpeed directly to the W4S Dac2 DSDse. Then after some time, replace with the Curious Cable (no need for a Full Loom) and listen to just the CC08m directly connected to the W4S Dac2 DSDse. Then add the Recovery and the CRL200mm. And determine whether the Recovery and a Full Loom of CCs are all I need. I will do that with the Regen too.

My sincere compliments to EJ Sarmento for getting me back to where I always wanted to be, that is, with an enhanced enjoyment of music that is not accomplished at the expense of a neutral, black, clear, unadulterated, sound closer to acoustic than digital in so far as the edginess, bright, hot characteristics. (I realize that other members with their system do not hear that with the Regen in their system. That's enough time to acclimate to a highly improved rendition of sonic quality. The Recovery is right there without the brightness, but with all that makes the enhancement of the enjoyment of music a continuum of what the Regen introduced for which I am most grateful. And given what was the SQ in 2011 compared to what I have accepted as so much better in 2016, the Recovery has been complete.

In time with a certain number of hours of play, as before the SQ will indicate it has reached that threshold of a relaxed, neutral, clear, black, vivid, 4/5 dimensional sound, and the prognosis should read a complete Recovery.

Thank you EJ. Thank you CA members for your time and attention. I leave to others to post their findings, if they care to so we can compare notes.

Please insure that the posts to follow remain on topic.

Thoroughly enjoying the music,

Richard

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Hi everyone. New to this forum but own a DAC-2 DSD SE that I've had for a little over a year. Just ordered the Recovery. Being in Canada is a bitch as I have to wait longer AND pay a premium for the dollar exchange! Will report back once I've had a chance to hear this. Also, my best friend owns a DAC-1, so I'll be able to test it at his place too.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

Richard, thanks so much for such detailed initial impressions - you're an excellent writer and very good at expressing your enthusiasm! I have a follow-up question if you'd be so kind to address regarding the two LEDs. You mentioned that they didn't come on when you first powered up the Recovery but I see that they're illuminated in your photos. They are identified on the unit as indicating signal lock and USB type, so I'm not clear on what USB type would indicate. If you can clarify the LED's functions it would be helpful. Thanks again and enjoy the tunes with your newly Recovery enhanced system!

Richard, thanks so much for such detailed initial impressions - you're an excellent writer and very good at expressing your enthusiasm! I have a follow-up question if you'd be so kind to address regarding the two LEDs. You mentioned that they didn't come on when you first powered up the Recovery but I see that they're illuminated in your photos. They are identified on the unit as indicating signal lock and USB type, so I'm not clear on what USB type would indicate. If you can clarify the LED's functions it would be helpful. Thanks again and enjoy the tunes with your newly Recovery enhanced system!

Hello Bill,

After turning EVERYTHING OFF. I removed what needed to be removed, i.e. AQJBX2 and the Regen and connected the the JS-2 coax cable from DC1 outlet to the power port of the Recovery and each CC to the correct ports. I may have been somewhat preoccupied with checking everything to insure the connections were inserted fully etc. The first thing I turned on was the JS-2 LPS. I looked at the Recovery and neither of the two green dots were lit. Whereas when the power coax cable is connected to the Regen, the orange light goes on. I may have started my APCX2 and then the back of the Mac Mini where the power button is located. And then quickly my Dac2 DSDse and STP-SE Stage 2. When the Mac Mini booted and the desktop appeared, I then returned to the Recovery and both green dots were LIT.

Bill, I guessing here: Perhaps USB type refers to 5V power over the USB cable to the Recovery. I will check with EJ Sarmento as I don't care to guess at what it signifies. There's no manual included for the Recovery. I am guessing Power and Signal is indicated by those two green lights. I thought at first it meant that Power from the JS-2 indicated the the Recovery is operational. For example when the Regen failed in my case, the orange light was dark. And the confirmation was reflected in AMS where my Dac2 DSDse was not seen. Perhaps, with the Recovery, power from the JS-2 doesn't activate one of those green dots, but power from the Mac Mini over the USB does, and the signal sent of the data part is reflected in the other light.

Am I making sense? I am emailing EJ and will report back. Sorry, technical competence is not one of my strengths.

Best,

Richad

Hi everyone. New to this forum but own a DAC-2 DSD SE that I've had for a little over a year. Just ordered the Recovery. Being in Canada is a bitch as I have to wait longer AND pay a premium for the dollar exchange! Will report back once I've had a chance to hear this. Also, my best friend owns a DAC-1, so I'll be able to test it at his place too.

Hello Boldlygo,

Welcome to the thread. First post at CA at the Recovery thread. We're honored! Yes, the exchange rates which vary now favor US dollars. I had family in Montreal and decades ago when I visited them, my US dollars were worth less than Canadian Dollars.

Hopefully, the exchange rate differences will pale when you discern the SQ that the Recovery contributes. It's a marvelous device, in my opinion.

Hopefully W4S received the part that was delayed and sometime next week, your order will ship. I am sure you can email W4S and get a status report for your order.

When you are ready to report your findings, please favor us with your findings. And be sure to include the particulars of your system, i.e. Configuration, Connections, Computer/Server etc

Good fortune with your Recovery when it arrives. I am loving my unit.

Best,

Richard

Hello All,

Back again. Just re-read my preliminary report ,below, which I rushed to compose. My apologies for a sloppy stilted report. It's barely comprehensible. But my enthusiasm for the Recovery is readily apparent. And that enthusiasm is inspired by the initial SQ rendered.

Future reports of my findings will be composed with greater attention to syntax, and clarity.

A word about UpTone Audio's Regen. I have no regrets after purchasing the Regen back in June 2015. Given the number of sales of the Regen, it's popularity remains.

My sense of what the trajectory for future sales of the Recovery will be once enough members glean direct experience with the Recovery and report their findings will resemble the trajectory of a successful launch of a rocket. This is based on my intuition validated by first impressions from listening to the Recovery.

Now that the Recovery has been delivered with more on the way, I want to emphasize that this thread is intended to serve the CA membership as a resource predominantly about the Recovery for all pertinent information about the Recovery re member's assessments, system configurations and viability, connections and cabling that enhances the performance, future updates/changes etc.

Discussions about other similar devices by themselves alone will not serve the interests of this thread unless the Recovery is the focal device involved with those other devices.

Having burned in the Curious Cables over several days to reach the threshold recommended by Rob Woodland, I intend to continue play with the addition of the Recovery to my system so that the threshold of 200 hours recommended by EJ Sarmento is reached as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard:

Glad you are enjoying the new W4S Recovery. Mine (ordered during the Xmas $149 sale) will likely arrive in a week or so and I'll be able to check it out for myself. Competition is a good thing, and I promise that John and I have not been resting on our laurels. :)

One suggestion with regards to your postings about the Recovery:

Only about 200 people in the world have our choke-filtered JS-2, and while I don't recall you having broad experience with various linear power supplies, there are big differences among them and you have something quite special.

So while your goal is to get the best from your system, your expressed experience with the Recovery would be more representative of what other buyers will hear if you report on the SQ when using the wall-wart SMPS that EJ Sarmento provides with the product

Just a thought. Have a great weekend,

--Alex C.

I did some preliminary listening after letting it run in for about an hour. The first thing I noticed was increased clarity and resolution. In fact, I was actually startled by the increased transparency when Norah Jones started belting it out on the DSD version of Cold Cold Heart. I believe, as the Wyred overviews states, that it provides a more forward presentation due to the increased accuracy of the USB signal. It was not bright sounding, but after a couple hours all the new information it was presenting overloaded my brain and I decided that was enough critical listening for one evening and that a few hours burn in might be beneficial.

I agree with Richard on the wall wart, I was thinking where the @#!$ am I going to plug in this monstrosity. Anyhow, more listening is needed before I come to any final conclusions, but my first out of the box impression was, "Wow", I guess that's a good start.

Richard, thanks for your additional description regarding the Recovery's LEDs. Regarding the post above from Alex, I believe he does respectfully raise a very valid point. However another perspective is that since you were using the JS-2 LPS in your previous setup with the Regen, simply swapping the Recovery for the Regen seems to be a valid way of comparing the performance of the units themselves while keeping use of the JS-2 power source a constant. It will be interesting to hear either from you or others how the Recovery performs with its stock SMPS or alternatively with the Regen's provided supply. I look forward to further perspectives and individual experiences with the Recovery on this thread within its scope as defined by Richard. Thanks in advance to all.