IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

My Vega DAC does not use any +5 V power from the USB cable, and so I was able to get away with a low-cost 0.5 amp 9V Linear power supply that I had left over from another project.

For general use, you probably want 1 amp or more of high quality power, especially if your DAC needs power from the USB cable.

I did try the included SMPS first, but it led to a reduction in sound quality, a small amount of roughness added to the music.

In any case, generally, we all like to use linear power supplies whenever possible to minimize noise and interference.

So my chain is N100H->RUR->Vega

Eric

I also found some improvement in sound quality by replacing the stock SMPS on the RUR. I went with an ifi iPower. It seemed to add a little more weight to the sound and a lower noise floor when compared to the stock RUR SMPS. Soon I will also be replacing the supplied RUR USB cable with a short Curious cable. Feedback from other members indicated positive results with the Curious cable and RUR.

Hi Guys - Please remember that you are free to post whatever you'd like by starting your own thread or commenting on an on-topic thread that already exists.

CA offers a unique experience by letting any member curate a thread. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you don't like a specific member, put him or her on your ignore list. Heck, you can even start a thread about curated threads to express your opinion.

I'm sure some of you have no ill will and may have been attempting humor with your posts. That's fine to a certain extent. Others have been a bit malicious. Nobody is saving babies or killing puppies here. This is a fun hobby. We all enjoy different aspects of this hobby. Please be respectful of everyone.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I ordered my RUR late December and received it this past week. The intention was to use it in my main system with my W4S uLink and Bryston BDA-1. Before ordering I had contacted Tony @ W4S and asked if I would benefit from the RUR when using the SPDIF to USB converter and was told that I would definitely benefit from the RUR.

I installed it in my main system using my MacBook Pro and W4S uLink but the Mac would no longer connect to my uLink...the error message was ``unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices``

I went through a process of switching USB cables, rebooting the Mac, unplugging the RUR and finally hit the right sequence to get it to work but if I shut down the Mac I have to do it all over again.

I then hooked up my Rega DAC-R to the MacBook to see if it would work and the computer had no connection issues but when I went to play a track there was a power hog error message so it is not going to work with this DAC either.

I emailed Tony at W4S and told him the issues and asked if the Rega problem had something to do with the XMOS USB but he felt that was not the case. He wanted me to swap cables which I have done so we can rule that out.

I also used my Windows 10 laptop to see if that would make a difference but I had the same conncetion issues. After unplugging the RUR and rebooting the Windows computer, switching cables, etc, it finally connected.so the same issue exists for my MacBook or Windows computers.

So far I have tried the RUR with two different DAC`s and it has had major connection issues.

Aaron

Hi Guys - Please remember that you are free to post whatever you'd like by starting your own thread or commenting on an on-topic thread that already exists.

CA offers a unique experience by letting any member curate a thread. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you don't like a specific member, put him or her on your ignore list. Heck, you can even start a thread about curated threads to express your opinion.

I'm sure some of you have no ill will and may have been attempting humor with your posts. That's fine to a certain extent. Others have been a bit malicious. Nobody is saving babies or killing puppies here. This is a fun hobby. We all enjoy different aspects of this hobby. Please be respectful of everyone.

Is this "curation".... or just censorship of any comment that appears to cause dissonance with what appears to be a pre-determined objective? As you say, this is supposed to be a fun hobby - no need to be too precious about it. Just my view FWIW.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

I ordered my RUR late December and received it this past week. The intention was to use it in my main system with my W4S uLink and Bryston BDA-1. Before ordering I had contacted Tony @ W4S and asked if I would benefit from the RUR when using the SPDIF to USB converter and was told that I would definitely benefit from the RUR.

I installed it in my main system using my MacBook Pro and W4S uLink but the Mac would no longer connect to my uLink...the error message was ``unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices``

I went through a process of switching USB cables, rebooting the Mac, unplugging the RUR and finally hit the right sequence to get it to work but if I shut down the Mac I have to do it all over again.

I then hooked up my Rega DAC-R to the MacBook to see if it would work and the computer had no connection issues but when I went to play a track there was a power hog error message so it is not going to work with this DAC either.

I emailed Tony at W4S and told him the issues and asked if the Rega problem had something to do with the XMOS USB but he felt that was not the case. He wanted me to swap cables which I have done so we can rule that out.

I also used my Windows 10 laptop to see if that would make a difference but I had the same conncetion issues. After unplugging the RUR and rebooting the Windows computer, switching cables, etc, it finally connected.so the same issue exists for my MacBook or Windows computers.

So far I have tried the RUR with two different DAC`s and it has had major connection issues.

Aaron

+1 Aaron. Got my unit fri. Strange, it played fine for 24 straight hrs. But yest. morning, I too kept getting "I keep getting “USB Devices Disabled. Unplug the device using too much power to re enable USB devices”. Pretty unusable for me on Mini and iFi Micro.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

A REPORT:

I have now "burned in," patiently auditioned, and blind A/B'd the W4S RUR. I was able to perceive NO difference between having it in or out of the signal path, which is to say I flunked the A/B test miserably. (I got the same results with the Regen and returned it--I say that not to compare them, but to caution against taking my findings as typical. I imagine these enhancements do their magic in some systems.)

I used the stock power supplies. USB cable was an Audioquest Forest (sorry if that makes you cringe ;) coming out of my Macbook Pro with Audirvana or Amarra 4 Tidal (see/join my rants at Amara (sic) for Tidal thread--I'm sure Amarra would like to censor me). The DAC was the relatively new Exogal Comet, which incidentally takes an unorthodox approach to processing its signal--which might explain why these experiments were a bust for me. Was fun while it lasted.

PM me if you want to audition the RUR for yourself for $175 (USPS priority mail and Paypal fee on me.) Yes, I know there's a different thread for that, and I may get to it today.

Cheers!

I have tried the RUR which I received early February. I had it connected between my Mac computer and a marantz had dac1 as well as a meridian direct day. It did not work with either of them and I also got an error message on the Mac saying I had too much power drawn from a sub port and have to remove the device. Also the lights on the meridian did not light up probably due to a failed handshake. My main system has an Aurrender player and a Marantz DAC (NA11S1) and I would presume that it will not work with that as it failed the other marantz device. I am also afraid that the RUR may damage my equipment so haven't tried it in the main system.

i have asked for an RMA # to send it back.

Is anybody keeping the score? Looks like an awful lot of folks are having issues with connections, or are simply seeing negligeable gains in SQ.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Hi Richard

The 100+ hour burn in process is complete. The RUR in my USB chain (see post #202) is phenomenal. I haven't yet started the tiring process of comparison (which will not by posted in this thread) but I really am floored by the bass, dynamics and realism it has added. This is all from memory you understand. But my impressions are based the number of moments I'm swept away by an aspect of the music on familiar pieces that I never noticed or felt before.

There were no compatibility issues at all with the RUR (unlike the Intona device which is also in the chain). I am a little disappointed that USB power (even though it is scrubbed by the Intona) must be provided to the RUR. However this doesn't seem to compromise the listening enjoyment, so likely I'm just being anal.

This is with the stock SMPS, I've just put money down on a linear 9v power supply, but it won't arrive for a week or more.

But even with the SMPS, in my system, there is a definite bump up in sound quality.

This will likely be my last post in this thread, I'm switching to your curated comparison thread.

Really happy I took the plunge and bought the product, largely on your enthusiastic recommendation.

Regards

Barry

Here's one configuration where the Recovery USB Reclocker does NOT work.

My setup, up until the DAC:

Aurender N100H > Curious Cables USB cable (0.8m) >
GIZMO
+ CIAudio VDC-9 linear power supply > Curious Cables USB Regen Link > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB-SPDIF converter > Shunyata Python Zitron AES/EBU digital cable > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Series 2 > ETC

Up until now, the GIZMO has been the UpTone Audio Regen, and the music has sounded really great. And I thought that with the current combination of the two Curious cables and the CIAudio linear power supply -- which delivers the same 9 volts as the Recovery USB Reclocker requires (and slightly more amps) -- all I would need to do is install the Wyred 4 Sound device in place of the UpTone Audio device.

So, that done, and no-handshaking between the Aurender N100H and the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB-SPDIF converter.

That is, when any music server connects with the Berkeley USB converter, the latter's light goes from amber to green.

And with the Recovery USB Reclocker in place, the light stays amber and no sound is heard.

I'm going to write to W4S now, and see if they have any suggestions.

But for now, does anyone here have any suggestions?

I prefer not to use the switched power supply that comes with the Recovery USB Reclocker, nor should I need to, right?

And the Curious USB cables have been the best I've used, but would that be the problem?

Or, as I believe I might have heard, does the Recovery USB Reclocker simply not work with the Berkeley USB converter?

If that's the case, then I simply need to do a return, since I'm not giving up that fine device.

Feh.

Dave, who says that if the solution is either using different USB cables or using the stock W4S switched power supply that he would prefer to return the RUR instead

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Is anybody keeping the score? Looks like an awful lot of folks are having issues with connections, or are simply seeing negligeable gains in SQ.

Based on the posts to date the score is 5 that work and 10 that don't.

RUR works with:

- W4S DAC 2

- PS Audio Direct Stream DSD

- MSE Analogue

- Empirical Off-Ramp 5

- Auralic Vega

Doesn't work with:

- Schitt Bifrost

- Aesthetix Romulus

- Bricasti M1

- Resonessence Labs Concero

- Meridian Explorer

- Rega DAC-R

- ifi DSD Micro

- Marantz HD DAC 1

And also doesn't work with these USB to SPDIF converter / DAC combinations:

- W4S uLink/Bryston BDA-1

- Berkley Alpha USB-SPDIF converter/Berkley Alpha Series 2 DAC

I'm still awaiting a reply regarding my Resonessence Labs DAC. I hopefully will hear from them soon.

I will be getting the RUR with the revised board, so that is good.

However in the meantime I listened to the RUR at my dealers store: Aurrender, MSB Analog DAC, which fed Mcintosh MC2301 monoblocks and Focal Sopra speakers. With the RUR the sound became brighter and muddled when the track became busy. It had an artificial hardness. On reverting to stock setup, i.e. minus the RUR it was suddenly mellow fleshed out and full with great spatial definition. Complex tracks were easily coherent and timed well.

I am sure the results of the RUR will depend on the system used. It certainly didn't match well with the MSB. That maybe in part to the fact that the MSB has already done some decent engineering with their USB interface.

Hi all,

Firstly, we sincerely appreciate all the interest and enthusiasm you've all shown for our new Recovery in this and other threads. You can probably imagine how exciting it is to develop a new product with passion and see it received in kind. Thanks from all of us here for enthusiastically trying our product.

We felt it was important to weigh in at this point so you could get some news from the horse's mouth. To address the most pressing issue—we do have a solution for those who have experienced a situation where the Recovery is plugged in and lights lit, but no sound and a computer warning which states something like "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your USB devices has been disabled." As you know, it's impossible to foresee all scenarios and unknowns while developing a product, and we apologize all the same for the inconvenience. We realize the issue lies with some DACs that draw larger amounts of power from the USB bus than others, causing the Recovery to go into internal 'protect mode' which breaks the connection from computer to DAC.

We have engineered an updated board that will work with these larger power demands. Sonically, physically and operationally the two Recovery versions will be the same. The only obvious difference is that the revised Recovery will come with a 6V (as opposed to the current 9V) power supply. Please make a note of that if you are planning on replacing it with your own PSU.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out over the next week to those who have contacted us directly regarding this issue. Along with the new Recovery will be a return label so that you can send your original Recovery back to us. Once you receive the new Recovery, please let us know what you think.

For all other questions, please communicate to us directly at [email protected] and we will do our best to answer you in a helpful and timely manner. We believe in the power of the forum as a means for great group communication, but we request you contact us directly for any tech support. You can also give us a call at 805-466-9973 during business hours. We have seen some posts which mention that we have not replied to your email. If that is the case, more than likely we never received it or it went to the wrong inbox, so please re-contact us.

Thanks, as always, for your support.

- Wyred 4 Sound

Snip...The only obvious difference is that the revised Recovery will come with a 6V (as opposed to the current 9V) power supply. Please make a note of that if you are planning on replacing it with your own PSU.

Great, I just ordered a 9 volt linear power supply this morning.

Hi all,

Firstly, we sincerely appreciate all the interest and enthusiasm you've all shown for our new Recovery in this and other threads. You can probably imagine how exciting it is to develop a new product with passion and see it received in kind. Thanks from all of us here for enthusiastically trying our product.

We felt it was important to weigh in at this point so you could get some news from the horse's mouth. To address the most pressing issue—we do have a solution for those who have experienced a situation where the Recovery is plugged in and lights lit, but no sound and a computer warning which states something like "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer one or more of your USB devices has been disabled." As you know, it's impossible to foresee all scenarios and unknowns while developing a product, and we apologize all the same for the inconvenience. We realize the issue lies with some DACs that draw larger amounts of power from the USB bus than others, causing the Recovery to go into internal 'protect mode' which breaks the connection from computer to DAC.

We have engineered an updated board that will work with these larger power demands. Sonically, physically and operationally the two Recovery versions will be the same. The only obvious difference is that the revised Recovery will come with a 6V (as opposed to the current 9V) power supply. Please make a note of that if you are planning on replacing it with your own PSU.

Our plan is to send out these new Recoverys out over the next week to those who have contacted us directly regarding this issue. Along with the new Recovery will be a return label so that you can send your original Recovery back to us. Once you receive the new Recovery, please let us know what you think.

For all other questions, please communicate to us directly at [email protected] and we will do our best to answer you in a helpful and timely manner. We believe in the power of the forum as a means for great group communication, but we request you contact us directly for any tech support. You can also give us a call at 805-466-9973 during business hours. We have seen some posts which mention that we have not replied to your email. If that is the case, more than likely we never received it or it went to the wrong inbox, so please re-contact us.

Thanks, as always, for your support.

- Wyred 4 Sound

I was informed by Tony this morning that I am in the list for the Recovery with the updated board but he did not mention that the new version comes with a different power supply.

This is a real pain in the a$$...I had ordered an aftermarket 9v power supply for my Recovery and it arrived it this past Friday so it is now useless to me. This has become a frustrating and costly venture.

Great, I just ordered a 9 volt linear power supply this morning.

I was informed by Tony this morning that I am in the list for the Recovery with the updated board but he did not mention that the new version comes with a different power supply.

This is a real pain in the a$$...I had ordered an aftermarket 9v power supply for my Recovery and it arrived it this past Friday so it is now useless to me. This has become a frustrating and costly venture.

Me too.

My linear power supply is 9 volt.

I don't intend to buy another.

If, as with the problems I reported a few posts above, if the RUR does not work in my system with the better-quality 9 volt that I already own, I would simply return the RUR.

Perhaps this GIZMO was released prematurely.

I mean it seems, as with Daren F.'s post #236 above, that there are too many related devices that the RUR is not compatible with.

Does that make it a niche product?

Not ready to report sound changes at this point, too early, and my system is having issues. (I had the amp open, and was soldering inside this weekend)

I can report that the RUR worked with the XMOS based Stello U3 USB->SPDIF converter. I did have to reboot the computer when adding the RUR. I can't just hot swap it in and out of my system.

Many incoming changes to my system, so I am not listening critically until some burn in and my system stabilizes.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Hi All,

We apologize for the unintended uproar over the new PSU. We should have been more clear. Yes, the new supplied PSU will be 6v to better accommodate the new board, and we wanted to make that known. However, a 9v PSU will still work. Those of you who invested in one or intend to use one can still do so. We hope this message helps clear things up.

Just spoke with Tony at W4S, and I'll be one of the people to receive their revised unit of the RUR.

As I said to him, and as I've long felt in other contexts, "It's not the mistakes we make in life, since we all make them, but how we deal with those mistakes that say the most about us."

And designing a solution and sending it out to customers like myself?

Well, that's the way a mensch deals with a mistake or other glitch.

Dave, who is glad to still be able to use his 9 volt linear power supply with the revised RUR

According to the W4S website, "The included power supply is 9V 1A, and the Recovery has been tested stable from 12V down to about 6.5V."

Will this range be revised downward for the modified 6V Recovery or will a high quality 12V LPS still be a safe and stable option?

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

According to the W4S website, "The included power supply is 9V 1A, and the Recovery has been tested stable from 12V down to about 6.5V."

Will this range be revised downward for the modified 6V Recovery or will a high quality 12V LPS still be a safe and stable option?

Yes, we will update the webpage shortly. The safe spread on the revised Recovery will be 6v - 9v.

Just spoke with Tony at W4S, and I'll be one of the people to receive their revised unit of the RUR.

As I said to him, and as I've long felt in other contexts, "It's not the mistakes we make in life, since we all make them, but how we deal with those mistakes that say the most about us."

And designing a solution and sending it out to customers like myself?

Well, that's the way a mensch deals with a mistake or other glitch.

Dave, who is glad to still be able to use his 9 volt linear power supply with the revised RUR

+1

Alain