IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Hi Richard:

Glad you are enjoying the new W4S Recovery. Mine (ordered during the Xmas $149 sale) will likely arrive in a week or so and I'll be able to check it out for myself. Competition is a good thing, and I promise that John and I have not been resting on our laurels. :)

One suggestion with regards to your postings about the Recovery:

Only about 200 people in the world have our choke-filtered JS-2, and while I don't recall you having broad experience with various linear power supplies, there are big differences among them and you have something quite special.

So while your goal is to get the best from your system, your expressed experience with the Recovery would be more representative of what other buyers will hear if you report on the SQ when using the wall-wart SMPS that EJ Sarmento provides with the product

Just a thought. Have a great weekend,

--Alex C.

Dear Alex,

Welcome to the thread. And thank you for your thoughts on what you consider relevant to an evaluation that would address the Recovery and the supplied "ornaments".

Let me respond as follows: It was my expressed intention (please see earlier posts, if you care to) to start off with the wall PS supplied. But my PS supplied arrived in a box and with piece that has two prongs separate from the main PS.

I have already emailed EJ Sarmento, so I am not breaking news here (smile). Tried to assemble the PS, which I assessed as junk. I would consider plugging anything into a socket, let alone my new Recovery. I still can't get the piece inserted into the main PS unit. And given the quality of the PS, my plan to start with it was altered for the very reasons I am stating here. However, I agree with your admonition. Had the PS been acceptable to me I would have.

When I tested my Regen (Amber) I started with your supplied Well Meaning SMPS and hard adapter. After a time, I changed to the JS-2 LPS and retained the hard adapter.

I regard the supplied 6" USB cable supplied with the Recovery as convenient, but not acceptable to me. Your hard adapter was based on what you and John communicated the best of two solutions, i.e. That is the hard adaptor or the 6" USB cable which you had already rated as inferior to the hard adaptor.

I replaced the hard adapter with a Curious Regen Link 200mm cable with the Regen. The results were discernible in favor of the CRL200mm.

While I appreciate your admonition to employ the PS that arrived with the Recovery, given it is not suitable in my opinion, to test the Recovery with it, I am not sure what its use would add to the my assessment. That is the logic of it. I would have used the PS merely to be diligent in my report to "rate" the performance with and without.

The same would apply to the USB cable also supplied. I could have reported what those two produced with the Recovery installed. But it's a bit too quixotic for me to feel that in eschewing those two steps, i.e. The supplied PS and USB cable, that I would be depriving the membership of valuable feedback. I guess I could also find the worst recording a play that with the Recovery out of the box and report back on the SQ. I am not being sarcastic, Alex, but I am a fairly intelligent person, and the judgment I exercised was prudent. I let other purchasers report back on what the supplied PS and USB cable delivered in the first instance.

I chose to go straight to the best power supply and connector on hand and not waste my time with what I regarded, admittedly untested, was inferior. And as it regard the Regen, I would want to report on your excellent product with the same advantages, which in my view is far more relevant.

I also hope that you know I appreciate what you and John have created and as your customer of the Regen, the JS-2 and the MMK plus a custom built coax cable to power the Regen from the JS-2, I am indebited to you both for excellent products. I was a bit taken back when you disclosed that you sent me your JS-2 without asking me if that was acceptable rather than provide me with a new JS-2 latest model. I was also grateful that when the Regen Amber failed as one of those units improperly soldered, you replaced it instantly with no questions asked. And that when the fuse blew on the JS-2 after only a short interval of use, you provided me with the support I needed to locate the proper fuse and replace it. I have not encountered any issues with the JS-2 since.

It's unavoidable for me to merely report only on the Recovery and not draw comparisons with the Regen. As a customer of EJ Sarmento since 2011 when I started into computer audio and having purchased all his components and love them, I have also developed a high regard for him and for Wyred 4 Sound products. To be fair, there had been one issue with code that required EJ to rewrite to fix my preamp unit which was one of the few that had an issue.

And given my enthusiasm for computer audio, and for the enjoyment of music, I could not not entertain the purchase of a Recovery and take it through its paces. My initial report of the Recovery is based on what I discerned right out of the box with an excellent LPS from UpTone Audio and an excellent USB short cable from Curious Cable dubbed Curious Regen Link 200mm, which I have redubbed Curious Recovery Link 200mm; and with the subsequent purchase of the Curious Cable USB 0.8m a Full Loom compliment of USB cables, my assessment of the Recovery is highly favorable.

Unlike the schlocky PS and common USB cable (yes, I am sure a signal runs through it, Eureka!), the build of the Recovery is excellent. The appearance is fine and dandy. It's light as a feather. The Laser engraving chosen to keep the costs down so as to be competitive with the best selling Regen is fine and pleasing to the eye. I would have loved if EJ employed his blue lighted Logo, which I love, but given I installed the Recovery where I can't see it unless I go behind my system, blue lit logo, laser engraved logo, ca suffit!

I appreciate the vertical array of green dots of light, one for Signal Lock and one for USB Type which I find useful, thoughtful, typical of how EJ Sarmento innovates.

I greatly appreciate the fit and feel when connecting cables, power and USB to the ports of the Recovery. The tolerances communicate excellent fabrication. The connections are rock solid when made. Just the right feedback.

Now to the gravamen of the Recovery, PS and cables aside, I knew in an instant that the Recovery was excellent. I realize that there is that newness to the Recovery that like all Wyred4Sound components starts off with splendid sound but over time is more splendid. Four years of listening allows for a certain familiarity. The signs were there immediately out of the box. But the SQ as good as it is, also conveys what wearing a new set of clothes can, the clothing is not yet relaxed and the collar is a bit tight around the neck. I am familiar with that. Over time, in my experience, and given I have upgraded several times Wyred4Sound components, I have experienced the changes in sonic quality and the feeling sense of the SQ rendition change and relax. Sometimes subtle; sometimes, Whoa, what just happened. I didn't hear that yesterday. And then after however many hours (typically 400 or 400+), I stopped noticing change and noticed how much I was enjoying the music.

My point is that when I first started up the Recovery all of what's coming was present immediately but in the early stage version of what will be coming over time. And for me the comfort level is just there. The SQ sounds just right even though I can still detect a constraint that takes almost nothing away.

I get that my assessment might be regarded as a fan, a Wyred4Sound enthusiast. Whether or not I have currency with the membership is not really in my control. Over time, there will, I imagine, be more than just my assessment to validate my findings or contradict them.

As this thread is not for a "them" vs "us", objectivist vs subjectivist, but as a resource for those interest in the Recovery, expect the organization and synergy of this thread to reflect that outcome.

I am sure members will want to post about the Recovery and other similar devices to provide a perspective about the attributes of those devices by comparison.

I am extremely gratified that the Recovery's debut on my system has impressed me so highly. It's not about the money well spent or not, the awful PS and pedestrian USB cable supplied. It's all about the music. The initial signals have more than integrity, they have gorgeosity.

With the Recovery, I feel like I just gave myself a gift. Now I can bronze the AQJB that served me well for a time, but that time is over. I already have nearly 24 hours of playtime. Places me one eighth of the hours towards breakin, but the numbers are not magical. The sounds will tell me. That and how I feel about the sound.

Fortunately, the Curous Cables Full Loom is in Full Bloom and the combination is in my opinion a match made in Heaven ("hear" on Earth). My recommendation, find out for yourself. It won't take long for a complete Recovery.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Richard

Richard, thanks for your additional description regarding the Recovery's LEDs. Regarding the post above from Alex, I believe he does respectfully raise a very valid point. However another perspective is that since you were using the JS-2 LPS in your previous setup with the Regen, simply swapping the Recovery for the Regen seems to be a valid way of comparing the performance of the units themselves while keeping use of the JS-2 power source a constant. It will be interesting to hear either from you or others how the Recovery performs with its stock SMPS or alternatively with the Regen's provided supply. I look forward to further perspectives and individual experiences with the Recovery on this thread within its scope as defined by Richard. Thanks in advance to all.

Hello Bill,

I have addressed respectfully Alex's valid point in my reply to his post. To sum up, I had planned to start off with the supplied PS and USB cable. But as I expressed earlier, the PS provided was not acceptable. And the USB cable was merely for convenience. I doubt that in skipping my best laid plans, I did every one a favor, especially me. I hope you don't experience me as being facile. I am being candid. And the further perspective you articulated was thoughtful and relevant in my view.

While I decided to skip employing the provided SMPS and USB cable, I will be following a schedule I regard as more valuable and relevant as feedback.

I plan to remove the Recovery and connect the LightSpeed USB 0.8m (Standard red) directly to the W4S Dac2 DSDse for a time. Then remove the LightSpeed and replace it with the Curious Cable USB 0.8m and listen for a time. Then return the LightSpeed and the Regen (but not the hard adaptor) and the CRL200mm, and listen for a time. Then replace the Regen with the Recovery and listen for a time. Then replace the LightSpeed and Regen with the Recovery and the Curious Cable 0.8m with the CRL200mm remaining.

I do not plan to replace the JS-2 LPS/custom coax cable with any other LPS or SMPS. In other words, from my perspective, given the JS-2 LPS performs so well, and I am not a Consumer Reports satellite, I am starting off with the best power supply available to me and forego lesser power supply sources. Chevy or Ferrari, they both get me to my destination, n'est-ce pas?

My focus is on what the combinations/configurations of cable/signal integrity device/Dac deliver in various configurations. And whether or not which combination I prefer matters only to me (probably is only important to me) in the end, I will offer up my subjective assessment with sincerity. Whatever value my report of findings is to other members, I leave that to their good judgment.

With this schedule, I believe I will have done my due diligence and focused on what's really essential.

Best,

Richard

I did some preliminary listening after letting it run in for about an hour. The first thing I noticed was increased clarity and resolution. In fact, I was actually startled by the increased transparency when Norah Jones started belting it out on the DSD version of Cold Cold Heart. I believe, as the Wyred overviews states, that it provides a more forward presentation due to the increased accuracy of the USB signal. It was not bright sounding, but after a couple hours all the new information it was presenting overloaded my brain and I decided that was enough critical listening for one evening and that a few hours burn in might be beneficial.

I agree with Richard on the wall wart, I was thinking where the @#!$ am I going to plug in this monstrosity. Anyhow, more listening is needed before I come to any final conclusions, but my first out of the box impression was, "Wow", I guess that's a good start.

Hello jrsub,

What a coincidence (there are none). We substantially mirrored each other's preliminary assessment. I wasn't startled just grateful. I concur with your conclusions and what you experienced along the way. I kept going for another 2.5 hours as my wife takes massage on Friday nights, and I DJ for her. So I had to endure another 2.5 hours of listening to the Recovery (oh the Horror!) smile. Then left the system on all night to continue the burn. I plan on days of doing so to get to the 200 hours sooner than later. But perhaps not 8 days in a row.

I also concur that we are off to a good start. For me this will be about my eight good start with W4S products. Interestingly, I my destination and the one I planned for coincided. Still, as you suggest, always best to wait it out, and reach a valid conclusion after doing one's due diligence.

If there's room for one more "Wow!", may I join you?

Enjoy the wow's to come,

Richard

Hello Richard. A wonderful initial report indeed for the little gizmo. My interest grows :).

A comment on that supplied "schlocky" wall wart if you don't mind. Seems the 2-piece approach would be to easily accommodate world wide plug differences, which is not a terrible idea unto itself. Your description of the less-than-stellar ps sounds exactly like the one which shipped with my bLink and you know what happened to that one. Yes, that one!

Enjoy your newfound sound. Peace.

Hello Richard. A wonderful initial report indeed for the little gizmo. My interest grows :).

A comment on that supplied "schlocky" wall wart if you don't mind. Seems the 2-piece approach would be to easily accommodate world wide plug differences, which is not a terrible idea unto itself. Your description of the less-than-stellar ps sounds exactly like the one which shipped with my bLink and you know what happened to that one. Yes, that one!

Enjoy your newfound sound. Peace.

Hello Melvin,

That was my initial thought. EJ Sarmento chose a wall wart that can be used in various countries. BUT, my wall wart arrived with the US plug loose and not fitting. And (only a partial idiot) I could not get the bloody US part to fit properly.

Additionally the fit and feel of it was of a quality I believe would not pass muster if made in China. I've already conveyed to EJ Sarmento my utter surprise in the selection of the unit.

I am sure I must be wall wart impaired.

Holy Toledo, I just assembled the bloody thing. Just now. Posting to the thread and to you specifically. Did you send me guidance?

Stop the presses!

Now that I have a wall wart properly fitted, I am still contending with the fit feel and finish.

I don't trust the thing.

I am NOT going to use it just so that I can report to the membership that it works after all.

That it powers the Recovery.

That it sounds like a wall wart plugged in.

That it's far better than the UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS at one billionth of the cost.

Wait let me consider if I am being too flip and disrespectful toward EJ who I admire greatly!

I trust EJ Sarmento. Yet he didn't make this thing.

How am I going to employ a digamathing after employing a JS-2 LPS just so I can inform the membership?

Sorry Alex Crespi, there's nothing for me to gain to employ this wall whatever. And for those members who think Alex has a point, I haven't a clue what it would serve to assess the Recovery's performance with the wall wart powering it.

Anybody want to chime in and show me the error in my thinking?

Still I got to assemble it. Now that's an achievement I am really proud of.

Richard

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Hello All:

I am tired of burning in, so I shut down iTunes, turned up the volume and launched Amarra SymphonywiRC in Playlist mode, selected a John Pizzarelli download from Pro Studio Masters in 44.1/24, AIFF, Midnight McCartney. Why Pizzarelli? Don't know. There's nearly 8500 albums, had to select on of them.

In about two hours, I'll have 24 hours of playtime on the Recovery. Somehow, Melvin, inspired me to get involved with my system and listen to the music instead of burning in through iTunes with the volume at the itsy pitsy's levels.

To quote jrsub verbatim, "Wow!" (Emphasis mine).

I am sort of feeling like Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, after he wakes up from a night of being visited by the Four Spirits and exclaims, I don't deserve to be this happy..." while he has spontaneously transformed himself into a heartfelt, sentient being, enjoying life and wanting to connect to the world and those he would connect to and feel the love present giving and receiving.

Right now, I am receiving, No More Lonely Nights...The SQ is simply gorgeous. I don't deserve this. Maybe EJ didn't get the memo: The Recovery delivers an SQ that's to die for even with only 23.7 hours of playtime. What does the designer know?

Mike McDonald is doing a duo with Pizzarelli singing a McCartney song in a jazz arrangement.

Still I can feel the constraint at the same time. Hard to convey how clear, neutral, lush, vivid, lyrical, the music, Pizzarelli's voice, those sub modalities for audio, timbre, pitch, intonation, voice characteristics. Presence is remarkable. Pizzarelli's in front of the mic but standing close to my near field chair.

Instrument voicing is beyond 3D for dynamics and clarity and fullness or is it rich, lush and. Whoops, need to increase the iRC minus value, that's better, little rumbling with the electric bass, now Pizzarelli's guitar and someone's tenor saxophone, My Lord, the voicing of two different instruments ( I played tenor as a young lousy musician, no real talent), the quality of the instrument voicing is marvelous. Every now and then I catch a touch of out of focus SQ but I am familiar with that, truly. Perhaps, this is how I can convey what relaxed means, or what I mean by relaxed. Using video metaphors, the picture is just slightly out of focus as if the cinematographer needs to adjust the lens. In time, after hours of play time, the focus ring moves into focus. That's the "Aha" that I experience along this continuum of SQ progression towards an outstanding semblance of fidelity. Even if what I am describing doesn't translate into your experience past and present, it's familiar to me about W4S components during breakin. Of course, the recording production quality needs to be there or else one is dealing with a distraction that ruins the picture no matter how good the camera is, if the lens isn't.

The Recovery is what I love about W4S components, it delivers the enjoyment of music with remarkable precision and artistry. How EJ accomplishes this, it doesn't really matter. It's just good enough. And I am thrilled. I was wrong: I do deserve to be this happy (smile). What a Recovery, n'est-ce pas?

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

image.jpeg

I am with Alex in that I think many would like to know how the Recovery performs with its stock SMPS vs a high end LPS. I suspect some other Recovery owner will soon oblige.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

I am with Alex in that I think many would like to know how the Recovery performs with its stock SMPS vs a high end LPS. I suspect some other Recovery owner will soon oblige.

I agree, and one reason to test it, is that the website makes the following claim:

• Ultra-quiet power supply (less than 13 μvolts)

Richard: Don't forget to do a Recovery + Regen test please! Thanks.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Great review Richard and an enjoyable read. But I also agree, I'd like to know the stock ps SQ. I understand your predicament, so I'm sure others will chime in in time. Here's an idea, try using the stock Regen's ps? I just don't have a lps at all so I'm a bit behind you Richard lol, hence my thoughts.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

FWIW I wouldn't bother with the SMPS either.

I never used the REGEN SMPS and I won't use the Recovery SMPS when it arrives.

I ordered my Recovery weeks ago, currently waiting for it to arrive in the UK.

In short...

If you have any respect whatsoever for your system, use LPS, not SMPS.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Hello All:

First, I am embarrassed that I missed the availability of the Recovery User Manual which can be accessed at the Wyred4Sound website and/or downloaded (all six pages) at your option. I was asked about the two lights and responded with what I gathered. Rather than gather, I prefer to provide The User Manual's descriptions which are brief but comprehensive. Please refer to the Manual, if you wish. I downloaded it for my iPad Air 2.

Forehaven inquired about the two lights and asked me for a clarification. Just to follow through on what I guessed at and what the manual reads. What follows is straight out of the manual.

Signal Lock: This light indicates that a signal is being received and the Recovery is engaged. Please note this light does NOT indicate power

USB Type Indicator: If lit, the Recovery is receiving a 2.0 USB signal. If not lit, the Recovery is receiving a 1.0 USB signal.

I think I'll finish this post as is and move on to the expressed interest in and concern about the SMPS.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

Now to the surprising (to me) interest and concern about the Recovery's SMPS. I guess I need to adjust my perspective. Please understand I am not being critical by expressing my surprise. Apparently to some members, inquiring minds want to know. So I'll do my best, which is, I don't know; I am making this up as I go along. I'll give you a hint, Richard, swallow your Castor Oil or no TV tonight. I believe the requests are sincere. And at the same time, irrelevant to the Recovery's assessment for what it provides. Remember the UpTone Audio Regen thread turning into a hard adapter vs Corning vs Supra vs...and on and on. It's still going on.

Seriously, fellow members, what will I conclude after employing the supplied get started thingies? Yes, the SMPS powers the Recovery. Yes, the 6" cable successfully connect the Recovery to my Dac. And then what? Compare the hard adapter and the 6" cable supplied by UpTone Audio to the W4S supplied SMPS and 6" cable?

To Sockpit:

• Ultra-quiet power supply (less than 13 μvolts)

What's a μvolt?

Let me put it to you (I'll probably regret doing so): Are members really considering whether or not to invest in the Recovery based on whether the SMPS is actually an Ultra-quiet power supply with less than 13 you know volts?

Disclosure: I am a customer of Alex Crespi having purchased his JS-2 LPS, Regen, MMK and a custom built coax cable to power the Regen from DC1 of the JS-2. I also respect Alex Crespi. And he has always taken good care of me. This thread will never turn into a me against them.

I have no interest in W4S other than as a customer, who, over the years, has a friendship with EJ Sarmento but as a customer who buys his products, and, honestly, truly enjoys every component I have purchased. As my signature reads: W4S Dac2 DSDse, STP-SE Stage 2 (preamp), SX1000 X2 mono blocks. And now the Recovery. First impression out of the box, and now with 24 hours, I have concluded that the Recovery is in a class by itself. That's my experience, and I don't for a moment discount that other members will conclude differently. It's a big World full of many enthusiasts and room for variety of preferences. The more the merrier. And,

As this thread is devoted to the Recovery USB Reclocker and is intended to be a resource for member's findings, their configurations and connections and conversations (about), please take notice, while it may be unavoidable to discuss the Regen, I would appreciate when posting that this thread NOT turn into a contest between the Recovery and Regen. Lordy, there are (how many?) Regen threads galore. And Dac threads. This is the Recovery thread. Please engage one another with informative, useful, interesting exchanges but not contests, arguments, side comments about what if, etc. It won't fly here. And I am looking forward to learning from one another.

I welcome conversations about the Recovery and to a reasonable extent if comparisons need to be drawn here that it NOT become a free-for-all

I emailed EJ with my superficial assessment of the SMPS included with the Recovery. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. I was surprised at first with the US connector part not entirely attached. I regarded it as junk. And silly me, I couldn't assemble it properly. Until I did. And the bloody piece just snapped into place.

Fortunately, EJ responded in his typical patient understanding way with the following response (edited by me as to personal remarks not relevant to the subject/object of my remarks).

FYI: EJ Sarmento responded with the following:

"We have yet to have one of these fail. And I can't say that for the past versions we've used."

"I find power supplies treated like usb cables, those who are serious do use better versions."

"I don't feel that you need to report on anything someone tells you to but rather how you use it and see it fitting your system. Shouldn't matter what you have plugged into it as it is the unit which you are interested in rather than each adaptor we supply with it for those to use if they don't have anything better."

Frankly, I agree in all sincerity and without reservation with EJ Sarmento's perspective. I want to be of service to the membership in the ways I can. Hence this thread. But what is so important about the need to assess the Recovery using a SMPS supplied by W4S, which is included for the convenience of the customer. So one can power the Recovery and connect it to one's Dac. What else?

But we all know the SMPS and cable aren't intended to be best in class for those conveniences, which are necessary to get started. There are threads just about cables and power supplies that go on endlessly.

And, frankly, Part 2, I don't understand the reasons for Alex Crespi's comments to me about using the JS-2 and how exclusive it is compared to other LPS. The requests to use the SMPS (and the cable too?) given the comments Alex made about the hard adaptor vs the 6" cable he also included and acknowledged at the same time these connectors were the best he could find and between the two the hard adapter was the best, and admonished us not to use the 6" USB cable he supplied. Que passa?

I used the best LPS I have. The only LPS I have. I employed the CRL200mm that puts the hard adapter to shame. My interest is in determining the performance of the Recovery with the best of everything. And that is precisely what I chose to do.

I am respectfully declining to employ the SMPS and the USB cable supplied by W4S. If someone who is knowledgeable about those volts and assesses the supplied SMPS, they are welcome to report back to us about the sufficiency of the SMPS and whether or not it is ultra quiet.

Regarding EJ's comment that those who are serious do use better versions (power supply and cables) rings true for me. I don't believe I could adequately assess the SMPS as a serious contender to power my Recovery ever.

Best,

Richard

Good morning Richard. As to the SMPS .. I guess many will want a baseline, wanting to know if the "better" is better at the lowest common denominator. Adding a linear/battery/whatever-you-like power supply is simply automatic for some of us and not so much for others. My guess is EJ wouldn't release the product if he didn't like that baseline. Power supply nerds will no doubt toss that SMPS in the trash without bothering to plug it in even once.

Richard: Don't forget to do a Recovery + Regen test please! Thanks.

Hello rah50,

Welcome to this thread.

I have not forgotten about a comparison of the Recovery with the Regen. I am preparing for that comparison by arranging the state of each device, i.e. Hours of playtime, cabling, power supply.

I have no clue as to the purpose of Alex Crespi's comment about employing the JS-2 LPS to assess the Recovery USB Reclocker instead of the SMPS (and USB cable?) supplied by W4S. I have questioned his comments in his post to the thread before. I am repeating it because I can not fathom the relevance.

When I first installed the Regen employing the Mean Well SMPS and the hard adapter, I commented on the performance attributes. But I substituted the JS-2 LPS to power the Regen after a very, very, very short time. And assessed that the JS-2 LPS and the Regen was a configuration superior to the Mean Well/Regen configuration. What a surprise! I then changed the DC1 voltage from 7V that was preset by Alex to 9 and preferred 9V to 7.5 supplied by the Mean Well as well as preferring the 9V setting to the 7V setting on the JS-2.

For comparison purposes, I will not be employing the SMPS and the 6" USB cable supplied by W4S. I will, of course, by employing the JS-2 LPS DC1 set to 9V for each.

In anticipation of the delivery of the Recovery USB Reclocker last Friday, I succeeded in reaching 100+ of playtime hours with the Full Loom of Curious Cables while employing the Regen USB.

I prefer to add at least the same number of hours to the Recovery USB Reclocker before drawing a comparison. I want to be fair to the UpTone Audio Regen. But,

There are noticeable differences that are readily discernible after only a few hours. I have several times at various threads expressed my approach avoidance experience with the Regen. There are significant differences already apparent. But I will clarify those difference in a few more days whenI reach 100 hours of the Recovery USB Reclocker.

I believe fairly stated, my assessment will be regarded in light of a system dependent assessment, which Alex Crespi will accept or not, that is the validity of system dependence not what my conclusions assess.By that, if I experience certain playback SQ characteristics, one might not experience those specific characteristics with their system. Makes sense, n'est-ce pas.

As with all comparisons, one must check it out for his/herself. I look forward to making the comparisons. And I hope my assessment will be received with credibility and acknowledged that I am fair in my judgments. Agreement is highly over rated. What I intend to offer will be sensory specific with a healthy amount of subjective discernment to taste. In the end, members will regard it as they choose. And I am doing the comparison as much for me as them.

Or someone will beat me to it, and give the whole thing away (smile).

Best,

Richard

Thanks Richard, your response and info from EJ answered my particular power supply question. I do not have an LPS (or know much about them) and was curious if in the Recovery application one would be of benefit based on the SMPS ultra quiet power supply description. My take on EJ's response is that yes one can do better if so inclined, which I suspect is in line with your experience of using an LPS. I also appreciate that you can't A-B endless combination of power supplies, cables, REGEN, Jitterbug, etc. as that would be maddening. I look forward to your comments regarding the Recovery performance in your configuration. Enjoy!

Thanks Richard, your response and info from EJ answered my particular power supply question. I do not have an LPS (or know much about them) and was curious if in the Recovery application one would be of benefit based on the SMPS ultra quiet power supply description. My take on EJ's response is that yes one can do better if so inclined, which I suspect is in line with your experience of using an LPS. I also appreciate that you can't A-B endless combination of power supplies, cables, REGEN, Jitterbug, etc. as that would be maddening. I look forward to your comments regarding the Recovery performance in your configuration. Enjoy!

Hello jrsub,

I really appreciate your thoughtful reply and understanding. I believe you know that I would be happy to help in a constructive way. In anticipation of an expectation that was actualized, I contacted EJ Sarmento in advance to get clarification as there hints already that members had concerns and questions around power supplies.

I am willing to return to the Regen with and without AQJBX2, with the LightSpeed 0.8m (standard red) and the Full Loom Curious Cables but without the hard adapter/6" supplied by UpTone Audio. And, of course, the same agenda for the Recovery USB Reclocker.

Again, jrsub, appreciate that you give me a pass on my decision not to test the W4S included SMPS and 6" USB cable to determine ultra quiet. And, repeating myself, I am sure someone who has the competencies that are technical and is familiar with SMPS characteristics and use with the Recovery USB Reclocker will provide us with reliable and informed assessment, or not.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

If it serves a member's interest, page 3 of the Recovery User Manual, 1.0:

Recovery manual 1.0 Page 3.jpg

OOOps! It just occurred to me that I never asked permission from EJ Sarmento to reproduce this page. Please don't look at it until I get permission. Thank you.

In violation of copyright law,

Richard

Good morning Richard. As to the SMPS .. I guess many will want a baseline, wanting to know if the "better" is better at the lowest common denominator. Adding a linear/battery/whatever-you-like power supply is simply automatic for some of us and not so much for others. My guess is EJ wouldn't release the product if he didn't like that baseline. Power supply nerds will no doubt toss that SMPS in the trash without bothering to plug it in even once.

Hello Melvin,

Good morning.

Well thought out and stated by you. Couldn't have restated what EJ commented better than you.

Not speaking for EJ, but reading between the lines though he couldn't have been more explicit, that is precisely what he meant to say that your take on it imports.

I know EJ from the perspective of being a long time customer having purchased many of his components that are the foundation of my system; and I have the highest confidence in what EJ designs, fabricates, tests, then conducts a run-in.

I understand the concerns of the members. Your guess that EJ wouldn't sell a product of this excellence only to detract from its superior performance (in my opinion) and foolishly supply a sub-standard power supply that might diminish his excellent Recovery USB Reclocker, and bring down upon W4S a succession of dissatisfied customers is spot on.

Enjoy the day,

Richard

Well, Richard. After your glowing review of the "Recovery USB Clocker", I ordered one. Currently using a Regen but it will work fine with my "other" computer setup that has only straight USB going into my DAC.

I'm excited to hear the "recovery" with my Curious full loom setup on my main PC. Question since I'm confused about power cable (wall wart) that comes with the recovery. It appears I need a power cable to upgrade from the stock one they deliver. So, what kind of power cord do I need to get the most out of the "Recovery" unit? Where can I get one and how much do they cost? Considering the "Recovery" costs $200, I'm surprised you'd need to upgrade the power cord. As always, I appreciate your input Richard!

Thanks - Spencer

Well, Richard. After your glowing review of the "Recovery USB Clocker", I ordered one. Currently using a Regen but it will work fine with my "other" computer setup that has only straight USB going into my DAC.

I'm excited to hear the "recovery" with my Curious full loom setup on my main PC. Question since I'm confused about power cable (wall wart) that comes with the recovery. It appears I need a power cable to upgrade from the stock one they deliver. So, what kind of power cord do I need to get the most out of the "Recovery" unit? Where can I get one and how much do they cost? Considering the "Recovery" costs $200, I'm surprised you'd need to upgrade the power cord. As always, I appreciate your input Richard!

Thanks - Spencer

Hello Spencer,

Welcome back.

Did you read the comments from EJ found at post #89 of this thread? You don't NEED to upgrade the SMPS unless you elect to. In other words, EJ has supplied a reliable SMPS for you to use straight away. He further comments that it is reliable. And also acknowledges that serious listeners might prefer a better SMPS.

Our Regens came with the Mean Well at 7.5V. The supplied SMPS from W4S provides 9V. I am not ignoring your inquiry, merely pointing out that you can power the Recovery out of the box including the 6"USB cable. Many Regen owners put their Mean Well SMPS away and replaced them and reported a benefit with the replacement. Some replacements cost more than the Regen. And other LPS which have been widely referenced at CA can be purchased for much less than the cost of the UpTone Audio's JS-2 LPS, which I find marvelous. Yes, but buy cheap and pay dear as the saying goes. There are many grades of LPS that are affordable unless you prefer not to spend more dollars on top of the Recovery price.

I chose not to test the Recovery with the supplied SMPS because I have the JS-2 LPS. But I trust EJ and believe he would not skimp on the SMPS in terms of compromising the safety of his Recovery or compromising the rendition of its excellence readily apparent when you power it on, without exaggeration.

I also chose not to use the included USB cable or the hard adapter supplied with the Regen as I have the Full Loom of CC and have already put on close to 150 hours.

I regret to decline to spend time listening to the SMPS and employing the USB cable supplied because other members would like the feedback; and I have the means to test them, but prefer to spend the time burning in the Recovery employing the best configuration I have available with the intention of reviewing the Recovery as soon as I put 100 hours of burnin time.

Let me speak plainly, off the record, or unofficially or prematurely, based on my listening experience with the Recovery at present, about 50 hours of playtime, the contribution to my system's rendition of SQ is worth 10/100/1000 times the value of the Recovery. Hyperbole acknowledged. You get my point. I would love to be able to point you to a reasonably priced power supply that I am confident in recommending. The CA forums threads are full of recommendations and member feedback. And I've read that one can spend as little as $50 and get a decent power supply. But given I have no direct experience, I am not comfortable pointing you to one.

This won't be helpful, but I replace all my power cords for the components I purchase no matter what the component costs. And those power cords that came with the component were serviceable to begin with.

If I have the right to say, please don't be put off by the SMPS that was supplied to enjoy the Recovery. If you decide you prefer to upgrade the power supply, I am sure CA members can steer you to a solution. And even if I did connect my Recovery to the supplied SMPS and reported that it works and nothing unwarranted occurred, would that really do it for you?

Well, if the answer is yes, it would, then please consider this, you have EJ instead in my place, supplying you and thereby supporting you in getting started with a SMPS that serves the Recovery at the proper 9V and supporting you if you choose to upgrade. The decision about the sufficiency of the basic SMPS is ultimately for you to discern.

Don't mean to be glib. I trust EJ one hundred percent. If you care to, let us know what you decide, what you chose; and what advantage your experience with the replacement compared to the supplied SMPS provides to your satisfaction.

Goof fortune with your decision,

Richard

Wonderful, Richard. Looking forward to hearing the "Recovery" soon and will simply use the provided power supply.. I plan on posting my results here too. As mentioned, I'm happy with my Curious/Regen setup but I can use the Regen elsewhere while adding the Recovery to my main rig.

Thanks as always for your incredible insight (minus the lack of funds available in my PayPal account ; )

Spence

iFi sells a 9V power supply for around 50 USD. I haven't used it(and I don't have a Recovery - yet). In any event, if a 50 dollar power supply makes sense for you for a 250 dollar device(250 is the msrp though the Recovery is selling now for 200), then go for it. Of course, if you already own a JS-2 then you're one lucky audiophile!

BTW, for Richard to "properly"(i.e., to his satisfaction) test the Regen in line with the Recovery he would need another Curious cable, albeit a short one.

Esau

Wonderful, Richard. Looking forward to hearing the "Recovery" soon and will simply use the provided power supply.. I plan on posting my results here too. As mentioned, I'm happy with my Curious/Regen setup but I can use the Regen elsewhere while adding the Recovery to my main rig.

Thanks as always for your incredible insight (minus the lack of funds available in my PayPal account ; )

Spence

Ah, yes I know about what you speak of.

We do our best to keep the tank full, then some bandito, or genius designer, comes along brandishing a fully loaded Recovery, and instead of your money or your life, it's take our money and here's to life...

One of my perspectives about the Recovery USB Reclocker is music is Medicine, Magic and Miracles: The Medicine: prescription, for a full Recovery, take auditorily daily or as needed.

The Magic: Our fun runs on funds, and the music flows...the more hours of exercise on our cables the better. EJ recommends in the Recovery User Manual 1.0 pg. 3 of 6, "Burn-in time is suggested at ~50 hours. Enjoy your Recovery and the benefits of a clean USB signal and noticeably improved sonic quality!"

The Miracle: Spending fatigue may result in the following side effects: Reduction (temporary) in funds, increased ratio of saving to purchasing; please take notice: in the event of an increase in the enjoyment of the music, continue as indicated.

No of Refills: Whenever desired...

Best,

Richad