IGNORED

Waiting Patiently For 1 Gbps (up/down) Internet Service :~)

CenturyLink offers dial-up Internet service at my house!!!

Fortunately Comcast serves this area. I have 125M or something, but I wouldn't pay for faster since I didn't notice the jump from 50M until they sent out an email announcing it after the fact (It always tests at full speed on DSLReports, so I am getting what they charge me for at least). Actually I wouldn't mind paying less for 50M, but that's not how it works in the bundling economy. I still remember the first time I got a "fast" connection... 7 Mbps, now THAT blew my socks off! :D

Just wanted to make some readers jealous. Today CenturyLink is coming to install 1 Gbps Internet service at my house. That's 1 Gbps download and upload speed. It's synchronous! Even better, it's only $110 per month! And, no data cap.

This is about the same as I was paying Comcast for 150 Mbps down / 20 Mbps upload.

I'll post a screenshot from Speedtest when it's installed.

What do you guys have for Internet speed down/up, what ISP, and how much per month?

I live in NJ, where everything is expensive, except maybe gasoline. I have a package with Comcast. I don't know how much I'm actually paying for internet, since it is a bundled deal: I get up to four DVR/cable boxes, 1,000 channels of TV programming inc. all the "premium" movie channels, sports packages, foreign language channels, and music channels (95% of which I've never watched), On Demand TV shows and movies, two digital phone lines, and internet @ 180 mbps download / 12 mbps upload. Cost is $209/month plus taxes.

FiOS and other cable services are not available in my area, and I don't want satellite dishes, so I don't have other options.

You're all slaying me. On Bali 2005 - 2015 - mostly stone age dwnld speeds, up until my final 3 yrs which averaged 1Mbps. Now living near Cape Town and fingers crossed I may get up to 2...unlimited @ $40 pm.

Stone Age here as well.

I live in Lebanon, 2Mbps Down, much lower for Up, unlimited use (fair usage policy that monitors daily and monthly traffic) 55$US/month!

That said, I stream CD res. just fine :-)

France.

Middle size city.

Cable.

100 down / 5 up only, not data limit.

about $50/month, but we get also TV (about 200-250 tv channels) and illimited phone line at this price (national communications only).

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Slightly Off Topic - but of interest to those of you in the Oklahoma area. :)

[h=1]AT&T Plans To Launch Blazing Fast Gigabit Internet Speeds In Oklahoma City And Tulsa Areas[/h][h=2]AT&T's fastest Internet speeds available over 100% fiber, up to 1 gigabit per second, and access to award winning TV services[/h][h=2]Over 1 million Locations Passed Today, AT&T More Than Doubling Footprint by End of 2016[/h][h=2]38 Additional Metros Scheduled to Receive Service, Already Live in 18[/h]

OKLAHOMA CITY, Dec. 7, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T1 announced today it is planning to expand the availability of ultra-fast speeds through AT&T GigaPowerSM to homes, apartments and small businesses in parts of 38 additional metros across the United States, which will total at least 56 metros served, including in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas.2

With the launch of our ultra-fast Internet service in parts of 2 of these metros today – Los Angeles and West Palm Beach – AT&T GigaPower is now available in 20 of the nation's largest metro areas.

Internet speeds up to 1 gigabit per second over the AT&T GigaPower network let you instantly access the latest online movies, music, games and more.3AT&T GigaPower can also improve your experience when connecting to the cloud and videoconferencing, and gives you the speed to power all of your devices.

"For well over a century, AT&T has been committed to bringing the latest, most advanced technology to our Oklahoma customers and today's AT&T GigaPower announcement is the latest step in fulfilling that commitment," said Steve Hahn, president, AT&T Oklahoma. "Today's announcement also reflects the wisdom of the forward-looking leadership of Governor Fallin and other state and local leaders who have worked diligently for many years to create an economic climate that encourages technology investment in Oklahoma. With the speed of the AT&T GigaPower network, we look forward to helping facilitate a new wave of creativity and innovation in education, healthcare and small business growth."

"Access to ultra-fast Internet networks gives communities a competitive advantage," said Governor Mary Fallin. "From helping propel Oklahoma'sgrowing tech industry to promoting competition and delivering faster services for consumers, entrepreneurs and businesses, AT&T's decision to bring its gigabit network to Oklahoma is great news for our state."

Nearly 2 years ago, we successfully launched the first AT&T GigaPower metro in Austin, Texas. This launch led to a major expansion in multiple metros beginning in 2014. We recently marked a major milestone deploying the AT&T GigaPower network to more than 1 million locations, and we expect to more than double availability by the end of 2016.

We'll continue to roll out our fastest Internet services over a 100% fiber network to reach more than 14 million residential and commercial locations.

AT&T GigaPower gives customers some of the fastest online speeds available anywhere. You can download 25 songs in less than a second, a TV show in three seconds or your favorite HD movie in less than 36 seconds.4

AT&T GigaPower customers also have access to the latest Wi-Fi technology, making it possible to enjoy our best in-home Wi-Fi experience. You get faster Wi-Fi speeds, expanded coverage and support for all your devices.

With DIRECTV now a part of the AT&T family, customers on the AT&T GigaPower network in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas will be able to choose between our award-winning DIRECTV or U-verse TV services.

When you sign up for qualified DIRECTV programming, you get immediate access to a broad range of TV content on your compatible mobile device through our DIRECTV application, even before we install your TV service, through our "Walk out Watching" program.5

In the home DIRECTV customers with qualified programming have access to more than 315 channels, more than 200 in full-time HD, and the most comprehensive selection of sports programming. You can watch the programming you love, live or On Demand and experience it on almost any screen. DIRECTV On Demand offers access to more than 10,000 movies and shows to high-speed Internet customers with connected set-top boxes, including the hottest new Pay Per View releases.

Customers on the AT&T GigaPower network in markets eligible for AT&T U-verse TV service can watch and record up to 6 HD programs at the same time, and will be able to record and store more of your favorite shows – up to 900 hours of SD or 330 hours of HD programming.

We're continuing to work with local leaders within the 21 state service area who are interested in expanding the availability of the 100% fiber-optic AT&T GigaPower network to consumers and small businesses.

Frost & Sullivan recently recognized AT&T for its leadership in high-speed Internet services. It awarded AT&T the 2015 North American Competitive Strategy and Innovation Leadership of the Year Award for Broadband. The analyst firm praised AT&T for its "aggressive pursuit of higher bandwidth access" for customers through its AT&T GigaPower network initiative.

AT&T has served Oklahoma for more than 122 years and currently employs more than 5,600 people in the state. AT&T invested more than $1 billion in Oklahoma's wireline and wireless networks from 2011 through 2014 to provide Oklahoma consumers, schools and businesses a complete package of Internet, TV and voice services wrapped in an industry-leading customer experience.

For more information on where the AT&T GigaPower network is and will become available, visit att.com/gigapowermap.

1 AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.

2 Initial availability limited to select areas. May not be available in your area.

3 Internet speed claims represent maximum network service capability speeds. Actual customer speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Actual speeds vary based on factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, internal network management factors, customer device capabilities and use of other U-verse services. Max speeds may not be realized if 2 or more HD shows viewed at same time. For more info, go to http://www.att.com/speed101

4 Speed/time estimates are examples.

5 Limit 5 shows/devices at once. Channels vary. Access expires at earliest of 14 days/system installation. Data rates may apply. Add'l restr's apply.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Here are two screenshots from a speed test with my new service. The first screenshot is using wired Ethernet from my iMac and the second screenshot is using wireless from the same iMac (802.11ac). This is really cool!

Finally you get to be a 1%er

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

We have 1gbs service from Suddenlink, but there is a 750GB/month cap on it. We can increase that of course, for more money. $120/month. :) The second connection is 300/20, with a 560GB/month cap. $79/month.

What irks me is that if we lived just a little further sound, Austin is wired with Google Fibre. A little further north, AT&T GigaPower. (*sigh*)

-Paul

I am in an unincorporated area between Austin, RR, and Cedar Park (CP address) and TWC is the only option. I have 200/20 (just raised to $85/mth) and could get 300/20 if wanted. Fiber will never get to my hood due to the low density of homes unless TWC/Comcast deems we are important. A TWC exec lives in the hood so we always have good service.

And while Fiber would be great, I have not come across the reason for "needing"...oh wait, nevermind.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I am in an unincorporated area between Austin, RR, and Cedar Park (CP address) and TWC is the only option. I have 200/20 (just raised to $85/mth) and could get 300/20 if wanted. Fiber will never get to my hood due to the low density of homes unless TWC/Comcast deems we are important. A TWC exec lives in the hood so we always have good service.

And while Fiber would be great, I have not come across the reason for "needing"...oh wait, nevermind.

I just checked Google Fiber map...ends just down the road. I am surrounded by AT&T fiber. Not available in my hood. Bummer.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

30 Mbit/s down, 10Mbit/s up, no volume cap, for 50€/month including a phone line (which I hardly use)

VOFiber: The complete Internet and telephone package - Visual Online

I've never felt the wish for a faster connection. I (only user) watch streams while downloading stuff from multiple sources, and never noticed a speed issue. Huge improvement over my previous 8 Mbit/s DSL connection.

I could upgrade to 100/50 Mb/s for only 10€ more, but that would be pointless for one user alone. Maybe useful for online backup (cloud), which I currently don't do

Claude