IGNORED

Waiting Patiently For 1 Gbps (up/down) Internet Service :~)

Just wanted to make some readers jealous. Today CenturyLink is coming to install 1 Gbps Internet service at my house. That's 1 Gbps download and upload speed. It's synchronous! Even better, it's only $110 per month! And, no data cap.

This is about the same as I was paying Comcast for 150 Mbps down / 20 Mbps upload.

I'll post a screenshot from Speedtest when it's installed.

What do you guys have for Internet speed down/up, what ISP, and how much per month?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Jealous is right. I lived where I could get Brighthouse 45 meg service for $37/month (up to 150 service was available). Re-located and for $52/month you can only get up to 6 meg DSL via ATT(which is rarely over 3 meg except late at night). I am not even in a rural area. Just a weird place where no one has come in to provide any good service. 3 to 5 miles in any direction I could get 45 meg or higher. Currently trying to convince some one to let me do a radio link for that 3 to 5 miles.

PS_I did check on this prior to moving, and was told by ATT Uverse with 24 meg service was available. Not great, but that would be enough for most purposes. Then when it was time to connect it was a different story. So sorry, our connections are scarce and we can only offer 6 meg service with 1 meg uploads.

Here is a midday test which is typical. 4 down and .46 up. So yeah, color me green with envy.

speedtest.jpg

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

We have 1gbs service from Suddenlink, but there is a 750GB/month cap on it. We can increase that of course, for more money. $120/month. :) The second connection is 300/20, with a 560GB/month cap. $79/month.

What irks me is that if we lived just a little further sound, Austin is wired with Google Fibre. A little further north, AT&T GigaPower. (*sigh*)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Local (small) cable company is best available, 25Mbits down, 2 up ( :( ), $55/mo.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Lucky you, I'm certainly envious.

I have 100 Mbps up and down, but the data caps have been getting worse each year. Now I pretty much run through the quota in a week, after which it is down to 3 Mbps up and down.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Just wanted to make some readers jealous. Today CenturyLink is coming to install 1 Gbps Internet service at my house. That's 1 Gbps download and upload speed. It's synchronous! Even better, it's only $110 per month! And, no data cap.

This is about the same as I was paying Comcast for 150 Mbps down / 20 Mbps upload.

I'll post a screenshot from Speedtest when it's installed.

What do you guys have for Internet speed down/up, what ISP, and how much per month?

Chris, that doesn't make me jealous, it shocks me to my very core! I had no idea internet access could be so expensive! Wow!

My apartment complex offers free wi-fi, I don't know the speed either up or down. However, it is fast enough to download hi-res digital (PCM and DSD). Personally, I think the advertisements in my area for $29.99 per month internet access are way too expensive and if I move or ever lose my free wi-fi I’ll go back to reading my emails at the library and quit downloading music. I could never pay $110 per month as I would be agonizing over how much music I could have bought for that huge sum of money.

…10 Gbps Up/Down $ 399.00 / month

I was shocked by $110 per month for internet, but I am flabbergasted at $399 per month! Triple wow!

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I live in East Central Georgia...25 bucks a month for 25 down 5 up. That is actually enough unless more than 2 TV's are downloading video sources. Sling TV through the Roku box ALWAYS is problematical. Particularly the ESPN package. After reading the other posts i am going to up my service to 50 up for 50 dollars a month and see if the Sling TV /Roku problems go away...

100 Mbps Up/Down for $40

Expecting to get an upgrade soon as new cables were installed in our neighborhood last week.

1 GB would be incredible but not going to happen anytime soon.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Where I live there is no competition for internet so it is expensive. 10\768 ADSL for $27 a month. No cap. There is actually a new offer by the ISP to give me 40MB down for $22 a month, but they can't figure out how to make it work where I live. Maybe next year....

On the other hand, mobile phone service here is very competitive and very cheap. I get unlimited domestic calls, unlimited SMS, 4GB data (no cap, just a slowdown if I exceed it) and 500 minutes of international phone calls from my cell for $9.50 a month. Good reception,too.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Northern California

Comcast - I pay $68 for 100 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up.

However what I have been getting from them for the past few months without any additional charges is 175 Mbps Up and 15 Mbps down.

Imagine my surprise.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Chris, that doesn't make me jealous, it shocks me to my very core! I had no idea internet access could be so expensive! Wow!

My apartment complex offers free wi-fi, I don't know the speed either up or down. However, it is fast enough to download hi-res digital (PCM and DSD). Personally, I think the advertisements in my area for $29.99 per month internet access are way too expensive and if I move or ever lose my free wi-fi I’ll go back to reading my emails at the library and quit downloading music. I could never pay $110 per month as I would be agonizing over how much music I could have bought for that huge sum of money.

I was shocked by $110 per month for internet, but I am flabbergasted at $399 per month! Triple wow!

To be fair, you could buy that $399 package of 10Gbps up and down, and sell internet service to your entire building and make a profit...

No electron left behind.

Disparity of access is quite common in the US. This applies to to many things like good food, health care. Most of that is great for me but internet service is not one of them.

I am happy if I can get a download speed of 1/1000 of 1 Gbps (and I am paying more than Chris) and I am not the exception in rural and many urban low income neighborhoods. So streaming is not possible at higher bit rates for me and more than 1/3 of the US population.

For comparison UK ... medium sized town

151203214009-6199.png

40mbps down, 8mbps up unlimited data - £20 plus £17.40 for the line rental (including voice) per month ($30 + $26.15)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Charlotte, NC

TWC - 50 down / 15 up. $55 per month. It's currently the only choice but I'd never pay $100 for internet. I'm too cheap for that.

I'd hesitate at the $110 price as well, but when I need to download or upload 5 GB to the site, 1 Gbps will come in handy. Plus, it's a tax write-off :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png