IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Someone has two!!!

LOL, I certainly do not. Still waiting for DHL to deliver one, probably tomorrow :)

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

DHL usually takes forever... D(uurt) H(eel) L(ang) :)

:D

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

YESSSS! The Mini arrived! Unboxing about to begin :)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Up and running! A few setup problems which were down to my inexperience with networking, but now sounding sublime.

I am not sure about the Lightning DS app, I hoped I could set it up using file directories, Flac, MP3, Rips etc but it has just lumped everything together. I had this problem with JRiver but sorted it out. I just happen to be a fan of the Logitech Squeezebox interface, so simple and intuitive, but nobody else seems to use it.

oh and a lot of album art is missing, but that's for another day and did I mention that it sounds sublime!

Palmer TT, AN CDT, Auralic Aries,Uptone Regen, Devialet D200, Focal 1028be

Hi Badlyread,

no, the VB will be going. I have been transferring all my stuff onto a Synology NAS for the past few days and when it's complete, the VB will be off to pastures new. I have also got a 2TB internal drive and I am thinking off trying it in the Aries, but there seems to be an opinion on here that it won't be as good as the NAS. I will be interested to see how you get on.

I am also tempted to get a better power supply from Sbooster but I will let the Aries settle in first.

Enjoy your music!

I've been speaking to Xuanqian re power supplies. I had an inline SBooster 'smoother' with my Arcam irDAC and I was not that impressed. Xuanquin is not too impressed either (but then he wouldn't be).

I have an Auralic LPS on order. That will do me just fine.

I want to get away from the NAS/streamer set up hence the internal HDD. My system is fairly small so I'm not sure that I will hear a great deal of difference. Happy with what I'm hearing already (I stopped chasing audio nirvana some time ago).

I've been speaking to Xuanqian re power supplies. I had an inline SBooster 'smoother' with my Arcam irDAC and I was not that impressed. Xuanquin is not too impressed either (but then he wouldn't be).

Hi Badlyread,

Sorry to read that you were not impressed by the sound quality improvement of "an inline Sbooster 'smoother'" with your Arcam irDAC.

Apparently you have tried our Sbooster Single Unit for the Squeezebox Touch/Classic on your irDAC. The Sbooster Single Unit is our economic "first step" upgrade, but is not a suitable upgrade for every audio application. We could have told you upfront that the Sbooster Single Unit would not be compatible with the Arcam irDAC and therefor this product combination has never been on our compatibilty list. I suppose you have returned the Sbooster Single Unit to your dealer for a refund?

From day one we work with compatibility lists for our upgrade products. When a new audio device hits the market we check the technical compatibility of our upgrade options. After the technical compatibility check, some of our dealers or end-user(s) will perform a sound quality improvement test. Based on this feedback we add this upgrade to our compatibility list. When customers are testing new upgrade-combinations for us we always give them a 4 weeks money back guarantee. Like this also some members on CA have checked out new product combinations for us.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

Thanks, Badlyread, you are welcome!

The Auralic LPS might be sufficient, but it is only a LPS. This LPS was designed for Aries Femto and stock supplied with the Aries Femto since day one. According to HifiStatement our BOTW P&P ECO with Sbooster Ultra over performs the LPS of Auralic with a wide margin. See also Johan’s post #234 above.

Our BOTW P&P ECO is an upgrade power supply: it is more than just another LPS. It has the following features (see also picture):

1. High performance dual stage mains filter with earth line choke;

2. Audio grade transformer with static shielding;

3. Anti-oscillation circuit for the audio grade transformer;

4. Power schottky rectifiers;

5. High quality polypropylene film capacitors;

6. Efficient electronic design;

Also we invented a system to make the power supply practically an uninterrupted power source: the so called “Sbooster split-current” system. And with our Sbooster-technique at the end of the DC-cable, we guarantee that the performance of the power supply is as close as possible to the audio device. The result is that this power supply is suitable for high current demanding equipment, but also for noise sensitive devices. It is fast, low noise and powerful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22070[/ATTACH]

Last, but not least: the BOTW P&P ECO-product family is safety approved (picture is from our 12-13.2V).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22071[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Karin

Hi Karin - I'm sure you have good intentions, but your comments break the rules of CA. You can contribute to the site if you chose but please don't advertise your products in the forum in this fashion.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Karin - I'm sure you have good intentions, but your comments break the rules of CA. You can contribute to the site if you chose but please don't advertise your products in the forum in this fashion.

Hi Chris,

My apologies! It is noted.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

So soundwise does it beat the Logitech Squeezebox? Any comparisons?

In both cases, did you use an external DAC?

I actually said I was a fan of the Squeezebox app interface,which I used with a vortexbox. Soundwise it is wonderful, I am running into The USB of my Devialet 200.

Hi Misterpete,

I mean a gigabit Switch. A good choice for this purpose is the D-LINK DGS-105 5-PORT GIGABIT SWITCH. You have to check if the Switch runs on 5 Volt in your country. The purpose of the Switch is following:

1. Create galvanic isolation between the streamer and the rest of the network;
  2. Reduce network noise/EMI;
  3. Buffer the data stream in order to eliminate data transfer failures;
  4. “Re-clock the data stream”;
  5. Optimise the signal integrity.

To create the galvanic isolation between the network and streamer you have to use an unshielded cat5 or cat6 patch cable. Every length between 0.25 – 1 meter is fine and you have to use the patch cable between the switch and your streamer. You can only use port #1, 3 & 5 of the Switch. Do not use port #2 & 4 this to avoid crosstalk between the data signals.

Regards,

Karin

Will any Ethernet Switch work ? I understand you can convert a router into a switch - I have an old router I no longer use . . . .

Will any Ethernet Switch work ? I understand you can convert a router into a switch - I have an old router I no longer use . . . .

A router which has more than one LAN facing ethernet ports works are a hub and has some of the capabilities of a dedicated switch; however its been my experience even a basic Netgear switch (such as the GS105 / GS108) at £25 or so does the job more reliably.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Mini arrived yesterday, very good unit for the money. It's not for my main system (using Aurender N100) so can't comment on SQ in detail, but it sounded good when using it for drum practice.

I bought it because of its size/portability and note that when being moved and joining wireless networks it still asks for the password when rejoining a network that it has already been connected to, so it doesn't appear to store wifi access profiles.

Not an issue if you won't move it around (and not really a major issue in any case), but it seems a bit odd in 2015.

It was very easy to setup, it found the NAS and indexed 16,000 flacs in about 15 minutes, user interface is nice and clean - an all round great package.

... Recommended as excellent value, given its low selling price.

;-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Spent most of today having a listen to the Mini and have to say that it is sensational. Huge 3D soundstage and fabulous detail plus it is so musical.

Shame about the uninspiring software but I can live with it for the sake of the sound of this thing. Without doubt one of my best ever HiFi buys.

Spent most of today having a listen to the Mini and have to say that it is sensational. Huge 3D soundstage and fabulous detail plus it is so musical.

Shame about the uninspiring software but I can live with it for the sake of the sound of this thing. Without doubt one of my best ever HiFi buys.

What are you comparing it to - what was your previous source?

Ok, I'll chime in here.

I've had the Aries Mini for 6 days now and it is really quite exceptional. A single box that can do everything that I ask of it with little fuss. I have inserted a 1Tb HDD and transferred all my ALAC files over very easily via my iMac. I'm also trying Tidal out - a it expensive but it sounds very good. I can 'discover' new music with Apple Music via AirPlay. Internet radio comes via vTuner. The Lightning DS iPad app works very well (needs a few tweaks here and there which I'm sure Xuanqian will get around to). And iPhone version is coming soon.

So what does it sound like? Well that's the hard bit isn't it? You will just have to listen for yourself. I think it is the best £375 you will spend on a digital source. In fact you could spend a lot more and it not sound as good.

For a point of reference - I used to to have a Mac Mini feeding an Arcam irDAC. The rest and remaining system - Naim Nait 2 and Guru Juniors (and vinyl stuff).

Neil

I have a problem! The Mini is so addictive I don't have time to post to this forum :D

The Aries Mini is an exceptional good product. Good packaging and very well crafted. I built in an 500Gb SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and was pleased by the fact tool and screws were all there in the box.

To connect the Mini is straightforward. I have one improvement: I'd someway mark the USB output (to an external DAC) to distinguish it from the USB input for an external USB drive, as it are both the same ports.

Sound quality. I run the Aries Mini with my external DAC (Wadia 121) over USB with the Uptone REGEN sitting between the Aries and Wadia. I did so before with a MacBook Pro and Audirvana. The Mini is here a CLEAR WINNER. 3D imaging is better and the bass extension is better. I don't hear a lot of difference with reproduction of voices.

Some remarks:

- The Aries Mini won't work properly (in my set-up!) with the SBooster VBus Isolator connected to the USB output of the Aries Mini. I used the VBus before with the MacBook and have never experienced any problem. What happens is the Mini plays 20 - 30 seconds of a song and then stops. VBus removed: problem solved.

- Often (and always when switching to a different bit depth or sampling frequency) the first song of an album will start to play a few times for a fraction of a second before it finally starts again and then plays well. I experimented with DAC delay but this didn't solve this (minor) problem.

- Radio stations are very sensitive to stream interruptions. Maybe implement a larger buffer?

- the volume will revert to 100 when changing the output of the Aries. However the volume rocker will show the previous value. This must be solved, because music starts unexcpectedly to play at full volume.

Note: I generally like the LDS software. I think it's nice and on par with the the apps for Squeezebox. Setup using the wizard is really straightforward.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline