IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Hi jtwrace

I have read your comments and I think I understand.

I am planning to use the Mini with an internal HDD and fed directly into my Nait 2 (no external DAC). Am I correct in thinking that the Auralic LPS makes a hell of a difference in this set up and is worth the investment? I will of course audition but it would be good to hear others views.

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil, to hear others views based on real life audition, you'll have to wait a few weeks. That said there are already numerous reports about the Aries LE with the included SMPS and other LPS (or SMPS with filters). I've always been sceptical about the influence of cables and power supplies... until I tried myself on my good resolving audio set. It truly makes a difference (SMPS with filter or LPS for the better) especially when using the analogue output of the Mini. The influence will be less when using the USB output to an external DAC.

I cannot tell if the Auralic LPS is better than other offerings. There are numerous threads around here that deal with this matter. If you want to keep it simple just buy the Auralic LPS. Note that the filters for the SMPS supplied with the Aries Mini (like the one from SBooster) won't work if you use the internal HD (lacks power).

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Hi jtwrace

I have read your comments and I think I understand.

I am planning to use the Mini with an internal HDD and fed directly into my Nait 2 (no external DAC). Am I correct in thinking that the Auralic LPS makes a hell of a difference in this set up and is worth the investment? I will of course audition but it would be good to hear others views.

Many thanks

Neil

Yes, I do think it makes a big enough difference to get the LPS.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Yes, I do think it makes a big enough difference to get the LPS.

Just for clarity, based on your previous posts, I assume you are talking about when using the internal DAC. I understand you think it is marginal when using an external DAC. Nonetheless I'm making the amb Sigma 11 LPS ( thanks for mentioning Leuwarden, I was unaware of it) even though I will be using an external DAC, so I'll be able to report my personal conclusions. I'll enjoy building the LPS, so I don't mind if it doesn't have much impact.

Just for clarity, based on your previous posts, I assume you are talking about when using the internal DAC. I understand you think it is marginal when using an external DAC. Nonetheless I'm making the amb Sigma 11 LPS ( thanks for mentioning Leuwarden, I was unaware of it) even though I will be using an external DAC, so I'll be able to report my personal conclusions. I'll enjoy building the LPS, so I don't mind if it doesn't have much impact.

Yes, you're correct. Internal dac.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I cannot tell if the Auralic LPS is better than other offerings. There are numerous threads around here that deal with this matter. If you want to keep it simple just buy the Auralic LPS. Note that the filters for the SMPS supplied with the Aries Mini (like the one from SBooster) won't work if you use the internal HD (lacks power).

Hi Johan,

A small note on the power consumption for the Aries Mini:

The power consumption of the Aries Mini according to the official specs is max. 20W. This makes the rating 16V/1.25A. According to these specs a power supply with a rating of 1A will not be sufficient.

In our opinion the actual power consumption will depend on the configuration and the USB connections. Please check the following overview for the possibilities of our BOTW P&P ECO with Sbooster Ultra Upgrade:

Sbooster Streamer overview.JPG

An installed internal HDD will generate a high peak load in case of a high performance solid state drive, also USB devices can consume up to 500mA.

Our advice is to use a power supply with a power rating of 1.5A or higher when you want to use the Mini with an internal SSD and external USB powered devices. With this power rating you are sure to have enough head-room and to have all the components perform at their best.

FYI: the power rating of our 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO is 15V/2.25A or 16V/1.85A.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

Black version was sold out. Can't wait for the next batch I'm afraid so I will be getting a white one... Probably wednesday...

White is beautiful as well! I'm surprised the black ones sold out so quickly. Maybe the first batch doesn't contain black ones? Just got confirmation from Germany, that I'll receive my white unit this week. :)

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Hi Johan,

A small note on the power consumption for the Aries Mini:

The power consumption of the Aries Mini according to the official specs is max. 20W. This makes the rating 16V/1.25A. According to these specs a power supply with a rating of 1A will not be sufficient.

In our opinion the actual power consumption will depend on the configuration and the USB connections. Please check the following overview for the possibilities of our BOTW P&P ECO with Sbooster Ultra Upgrade:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21929[/ATTACH]

An installed internal HDD will generate a high peak load in case of a high performance solid state drive, also USB devices can consume up to 500mA.

Our advice is to use a power supply with a power rating of 1.5A or higher when you want to use the Mini with an internal SSD and external USB powered devices. With this power rating you are sure to have enough head-room and to have all the components perform at their best.

FYI: the power rating of our 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO is 15V/2.25A or 16V/1.85A.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

Thank you, Karin. I mentioned the SBooster uograde based on this table. However I'm unsure I understand correct. The table says 'no' for Aries Mini with internal HDD when used with the BOTW P&P Eco with SBooster ultra. However the rating of 16V/1.85A is higher than your advice of at least 1.5A. Thus, I would comclude the 'no' in the table is a 'yes'?

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hi Johan,

I am sorry you misunderstand the table and the explanation. The table comes from our website under the general Sbooster Ultra topic and indicates amongst others for the Aries streamers when the combination of our power supply with an Ultra is possible.

The power rating of our 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO is 15V/2.25A or 16V/1.85A. But in combination with the Sbooster Ultra the output rating becomes lower. The Ultra is an active filter and is only capable of purifying a limited amount of current. For this we work with a compatibly list so people can easily check when an Ultra is suitable.

Resume:

• You can use the 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO for all the Aries Mini configurations.
  • If you use the Aries Mini without an internal HDD, without USB devices, that need to be powered by the power supply of the Aries Mini, but with a self-powered USB DAC / analog/digital out, you can upgrade the 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO further with a Sbooster Ultra.

I hope this makes it all more clear.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

Hi Johan,

I am sorry you misunderstand the table and the explanation. The table comes from our website under the general Sbooster Ultra topic and indicates amongst others for the Aries streamers when the combination of our power supply with an Ultra is possible.

The power rating of our 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO is 15V/2.25A or 16V/1.85A. But in combination with the Sbooster Ultra the output rating becomes lower. The Ultra is an active filter and is only capable of purifying a limited amount of current. For this we work with a compatibly list so people can easily check when an Ultra is suitable.

Resume:

• You can use the 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO for all the Aries Mini configurations.
  • If you use the Aries Mini without an internal HDD, without USB devices, that need to be powered by the power supply of the Aries Mini, but with a self-powered USB DAC / analog/digital out, you can upgrade the 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO further with a Sbooster Ultra.

I hope this makes it all more clear.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster

Yes, thanks a lot! This makes the BOTW P&P a very suitable solution to power the Aries Mini, even with internal HDD. When streaming from a NAS (and self powered USB DAC and no internal /attached HDD) a SBooster Ultra can be added. Nice!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Well, took a bit time but eventually got everything set up as it should be. Still have to copy my music to the external harddisk. Have it playing wit stock wall ps and external dac. It's different from my MacMini with Audirvana. Is it better? I don't know, it's different. Do I like it? Yes I do. Using it is a lot easier than a headless MacMini, thas for sure!

Is it me or am I missing an upsampling function?

Gentlemen... We got it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21955[/ATTACH]

Congrats! You're first! I'm surprised it works as I understood we need LDS 2.3 for Aries Mini support?

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

My questions has to do with the way the Mini uses tag information.

Are you able to do either or both of (1) browse by the "album artist" tag (not "artist" or "artist-album") and play an entire album with one click and (2) browse your collection by folders and play an entire album with one click (with the songs in the correct track number order)? Album artist and folder browsing are very important to me because I have a very large library with many compilations (e.g., complete Stax Records collection) and browsing by artist results in 100's of artists with only 1 or 2 songs in the list.

Thanks, and happy listening!

Joe

Gentlemen... We got it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21955[/ATTACH]

Congratulation!!!!

I am from Germany.

I also use Apple Mac mini with the Audioengine D1 DAC . Mac Mini ->USB->Audioengine D1 DAC->Chinch direct connected to T+A P1200R preamplifiers. I use Audirvana and Apple Remote app (iPhone, iPad) for controlling .

I ordered today Aries mini . I want to use its internal Aries Mini DAC and connect the direct to preamplifier . What do you think it makes sense? Audioengine D1 DAC should not be as good as Aries Mini ESS Sabre .

Have you ever tried analog output ? How good or bad is the sound?

My questions has to do with the way the Mini uses tag information.

Are you able to do either or both of (1) browse by the "album artist" tag (not "artist" or "artist-album") and play an entire album with one click and (2) browse your collection by folders and play an entire album with one click (with the songs in the correct track number order)? Album artist and folder browsing are very important to me because I have a very large library with many compilations (e.g., complete Stax Records collection) and browsing by artist results in 100's of artists with only 1 or 2 songs in the list.

Thanks, and happy listening!

I am hoping someone else pipe's in, cause I have just switched back to using Lightning Server as opposed to Miniserver with the Auralic Aries Mini ( before that it's big brother).

Using the latest version of Lightning DS and Lighting Server I can see the Warren Hayes Benefit concerts which per track lists the respective artists all sorted under Warren Haynes, so it is reading the Album Artist tag.

If I use Folder view rather than the default library view I can browse the compilations folder which has all my compilations but if I choose one compilation each track is listed individually.

I can however use Library view, and search by artist or album and locate compilations.

To play an entire album, select an album by tapping it, then just click the album title to play the entire album.

Oh and setup was a breeze, aimed Lightning Server at the NAS my music is on and it pulled it all in.

Issues related to album covers are as previously noted.

Now enjoying music via coax to the Devialet.

Using wireless, no hiccups.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I am hoping someone else pipe's in, cause I have just switched back to using Lightning Server as opposed to Miniserver with the Auralic Aries Mini ( before that it's big brother).

Using the latest version of Lightning DS and Lighting Server I can see the Warren Hayes Benefit concerts which per track lists the respective artists all sorted under Warren Haynes, so it is reading the Album Artist tag.

If I use Folder view rather than the default library view I can browse the compilations folder which has all my compilations but if I choose one compilation each track is listed individually.

I can however use Library view, and search by artist or album and locate compilations.

To play an entire album, select an album by tapping it, then just click the album title to play the entire album.

Oh and setup was a breeze, aimed Lightning Server at the NAS my music is on and it pulled it all in.

Issues related to album covers are as previously noted.

Now enjoying music via coax to the Devialet.

Using wireless, no hiccups.

Thanks Dog. I appreciate the info and that hope other folks share their experiences with the Minimserver (or something else) and Lightning DS. I saw Warren Haynes play and give a talk at the Grammy Museum (Los Angles, CA) last week. It was great. Just him and the violin player from his current touring band.

Joe