IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

As I reported above I experienced a problem with the music stop playing after 20-30 seconds. I removed the SBooster VBus Isolator. I thought this solved the problem (not blaming the SBooster Vbus, but the lack of the 5V lead that might be necessary, even if he UpTone REGEN provides its own power).

At first it seemed to do so... But this morning while playing 24-bit 88.2KHz music (Daft Punk) after about 20 minutes the music suddenly stopped. I restarted the music but with no success; after about 20-30 seconds it stopped again. LDS reports 'the output you have selected is not available' and 'Uable to open output device Wadia USB Audio 2.0' (note the typing error 'uable' >> 'unable'). A power cycle of the Aries alone does not solve the problem. It plays then music for about 5 seconds before stopping again. I have to power cycle both the Aries Mini and Wadia121. Then I can play songs again for a longer period. Maybe 20 minutes, maybe like last night for a few hours.

This behavior can be reproduced both by streaming music from the NAS as well as from the internal SSD drive. With several levels of DAC Delay and with various sources (Redbook, and hi-res audio).

I'm not saying it is an isolated problem of the Mini alone (there are two in the chain). However, I NEVER experienced a problem like this since April 2013 with the combo Macbook - Wadia121. I had other problems then, but these had more to do with constant iTunes upgrades and Audirvana refusing to work. And with electric noise from the MacBook entering my system. I solved that one with the REGEN.

So, what we have here is either a USB driver problem, a buffer problem or ?.

I'm now playing music through the Mini's internal DAC. I have to compliment Auralic for the excellent music reproduction. SQ cannot equal the Wadia121 with its pre-amp directly connected to the main amp stage of my PrimaLuna. The Mini uses the pre-amp of the PrimaLuna. Stereo imaging (staging + separation) is less accurate, and voices are a bit sharper (which is remarkable since the signal is running through a tube pre-amp!). The interlink is also different. Can change that easily, but it won't be day and night. It seems (but nothing is sure...) the interruption problem is not present when using the internal DAC.

That said, I didn't buy the Aries to get rid of my $1.500 Wadia DAC/pre-amp... Hope Auralic fixes the USB output problem soon! Many thanks!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Stereo imaging (staging + separation) is less accurate, and voices are a bit sharper (which is remarkable since the signal is running through a tube pre-amp!).

Johan,

The sharp sound could be that you need to break it in for a while. I have the "big" Aries, not the Mini, but mine sounded sharp, flat and bright for at least 2 weeks before settling to its current smooth state. I also experience a brightness after every firmware update, takes about 3 days to get back to normal... wierd but a fact! ? Started to check all connections and was almost about to start moving my speakers around after my first couple of fw updates, before made aware of that this actually happens at every update... at least in my environment.

My problems with the Mini:

My music files are on my Synology NAS, JRiver runs on my MacBook Pro as SLNA server, Jremote runs on my iPad as DLNA control point. JRiver's library contains the files on my NAS. The Mini is connected either through its own WiFi function or wired to a WiFi-Bridge. My router, which provides the WLAN, is an AVM Fritzbox 7490.

In the "pure Aries" scenario, I run MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server on my NAS. BubbleUPnP Server uses the MinimServer library as Media Server und the Mini as OpenHome renderer. Connection of the Mini is as above.

First problem: In both the JRiver scenario and the Aries scenario, random, sudden stops occur. Streaming to my OPPO BDP-105 as DLNA renderer never had this problem. In the JRiver forum, it was suggested that the player might have a problem with Event Subscriptions and with SetNextAVTransportURI.

Second problem: Using the Mini as Lightning Device in LDS, it constantly changes between "MyAries" and "No Device" at the top of the left column in LDS, as if the connection of the Mini is lost, then found, then lost again, then found again, and so on. This even makes accessing the Settings very difficult.

I also noticed the following:

When wired to the WiFi bridge, the yellow LED at the Ethernet port of the Mini is constantly flashing, indicating network access, although the Mini is idle and not in use. Sometimes the top LED turns solid amber, indicating a reboot. I even had the top LED flashing in two colours (white-amber-white-amber-white-amber...), which is not mentioned on Auralic's support site.

Could it be that my Mini is defect and needs to be exchanged??

My problems with the Mini:

My music files are on my Synology NAS, JRiver runs on my MacBook Pro as SLNA server, Jremote runs on my iPad as DLNA control point. JRiver's library contains the files on my NAS. The Mini is connected either through its own WiFi function or wired to a WiFi-Bridge. My router, which provides the WLAN, is an AVM Fritzbox 7490.

In the "pure Aries" scenario, I run MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server on my NAS. BubbleUPnP Server uses the MinimServer library as Media Server und the Mini as OpenHome renderer. Connection of the Mini is as above.

First problem: In both the JRiver scenario and the Aries scenario, random, sudden stops occur. Streaming to my OPPO BDP-105 as DLNA renderer never had this problem. In the JRiver forum, it was suggested that the player might have a problem with Event Subscriptions and with SetNextAVTransportURI.

Second problem: Using the Mini as Lightning Device in LDS, it constantly changes between "MyAries" and "No Device" at the top of the left column in LDS, as if the connection of the Mini is lost, then found, then lost again, then found again, and so on. This even makes accessing the Settings very difficult.

I also noticed the following:

When wired to the WiFi bridge, the yellow LED at the Ethernet port of the Mini is constantly flashing, indicating network access, although the Mini is idle and not in use. Sometimes the top LED turns solid amber, indicating a reboot. I even had the top LED flashing in two colours (white-amber-white-amber-white-amber...), which is not mentioned on Auralic's support site.

Could it be that my Mini is defect and needs to be exchanged??

Sounds like you have network issues.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Up and running! A few setup problems which were down to my inexperience with networking, but now sounding sublime.

I am not sure about the Lightning DS app, I hoped I could set it up using file directories, Flac, MP3, Rips etc but it has just lumped everything together. I had this problem with JRiver but sorted it out. I just happen to be a fan of the Logitech Squeezebox interface, so simple and intuitive, but nobody else seems to use it.

oh and a lot of album art is missing, but that's for another day and did I mention that it sounds sublime!

When you say you had a few problems can you please elaborate...I too am having network issues... Getting a null error when playing files... Unable to play any files as such

When you say you had a few problems can you please elaborate...I too am having network issues... Getting a null error when playing files... Unable to play any files as such

I would love to answer your question, trouble is it was one of those situations where I tried that many things that I can't remember what I did to get it all working!

After now trying all the different control apps, I have settled on Kinsky which seems to give me all the features I want.

Palmer TT, AN CDT, Auralic Aries,Uptone Regen, Devialet D200, Focal 1028be

This may be a silly question and I don't know if it has been answered before. I am using a Macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.8 as the server. It is an older Macbook and cannot be updated OS wise. Minimserver requires a newer OS or at least the versions I can find on their website. So I guess to use an Aries, I will need a newer computer.

I am currently able to run Logitech Media Server on this Macbook. Can I continue to use Logitech Media Server and use the Aries as a bridge/ player ? If so, that would be great as it would save me having to fork out for a new computer on top of an Aries.

Thanks

Lightning DS 2.3 was available on Monday which meant that I could install an internal HDD. A 1Tb Samsung drive was fitted and the set up was all handed from within the LDS app (all very easy). I transferred my library via my iMac - the Aries Mini was available in the Finder window. I transferred my library in small batches (20Gb at a time) as trying to do the whole lot in one go caused a crash (occasional files could not be read, no problem reading in small batches). I could have transferred the library by connecting the external HDD but the Aries copies everything that is on the HDD and then makes a music folder. I wanted more control than that.

I was previously using a Mac Mini with an external HDD for the music library which worked well but the external HDD (a G-Drive) was a little noisy as it span away. The Aries Mini with the internal HDD is much quieter in comparison (I cannot hear it). A few bits of artwork missing (files are ripped ALAC and I manually import the artwork) but otherwise all very straightforward. Lightning DS needs a little work but it really is quite good and works well. iPhone version out this month (I imagine it will be December in reality).

The Aries really is a joy to use and the sound is so good. If you have one on order, be ready to smile broadly. If you are waiting for more reviews, they will come as more stock is available and they will be good. But why wait? It really is that good!

[...]

The Aries really is a joy to use and the sound is so good. If you have one on order, be ready to smile broadly. If you are waiting for more reviews, they will come as more stock is available and they will be good. But why wait? It really is that good!

Glad you are so happy with the Mini! Despite my 'music interruption problem' I smile broadly as well :). SQ wise it's almost as good as my Wadia121 + Uptone REGEN. The differences:

- the position of instruments on stage is less defined, in that instruments 'walk around a bit'; not from left to the right of course, but let's say 1 meter to the left or to the right.

- with many instruments sound becomes a bit more congested.

I've asked Auralic, and ask here as well if a LPS would improve the SQ on these aspects. I really would like to test a LPS (Auralic, BOTW, ...). IF... IF sound quality improves further and I'm convinced in an A/B comparison I seriously consider to sell my Wadia121, Uptone Audio REGEN (and SBooster Ultra for REGEN) and Supra USB 2.0 1m cable.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Got mine yesterday. I'm using it to feed a MDAC that has been substantially upgraded by the designer, John Westlake. This is the best digital source I've ever had; more detail, punchy precise bass and most significantly a great 3D soundstage. This is with the stock SMPS. I'm expecting even greater things once I finish the Sigma 11 LPS and I get John's Detox USB regenerator.

No streaming problems whatsoever BTW.

2Tb 2.5 inch HDD now available! If it is an old MacBook I cannot imagine that the internal HDD is that big.

Asset uPnP was rock solid when I used it with my Mac Mini. Worked fine running the Aries Mini from my iMac before I could install the HDD to the Aries. Try this if you cannot work the internal HDD.

Thanks again. I have about 5 2 Tb external WD's linked to that Macbook and am working on setting up a NAS.

I just looked at Asset uPnP but it needs a minimum of OS X Mountain Lion - same as Minimserver -which I cannot upgrade to.

This is turning out more fiddly than I expected.

Hi Mikey, probably you told us before, but I don't see why you should continue using your old MacBook if you are setting up a NAS!? :) You could connect the Mini with SMB straight away to the NAS or run MinimServer on it and use that as Music Library in LDS.

Only thing I'm a bit worried about is the cost of the NAS. In most circumstances a 4-bay will do, but with 10 TB need of storage capacity you cannot use any RAID protocol, unless with 4 5 or 6 TB harddisks, Seagate and WD have models. Or you'll have to buy a 6 / 8 bay NAS. These are business grade solutions and therefore rather pricey. Can you eloborate a bit more on your NAS plans? Thanks!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

That's the thing. I was looking at Synology and it is looking costly so I may have to put it off for a while. I was hoping to be able to use my existing setup for a while before getting a NAS.

The alternative would be to switch to my newer Windows PC but the inconvenience there is all my hard drives are Mac formatted.

Hi Mikey.

FWIW and, I know the feeling of attachment to our much hard work and $$$ investments in physical libraries, I am heading in a bit of a different direction.

I too wish to remove any [non dedicated] computers from my Audio rig.["Everything matters"]

If one calculates the cost of a NAS, HDs, wires, possible router upgrades, [and of course our time], it all adds up very quickly. We are even waiting anxiously for SSD drives to get cheaper so we can spend more. Maybe they sound better???

I took my "favourites", Hi-Res, DSD [totaling about 6tb] and put them on two LaCie 4tb fanless drives. One I plugged directly to my Mini and the other I left on My older Mac where Mini sees it as a "networked" library. [could also be plugged to the router if it has a USB HD input]. With the $$ savings I then subscribed to Tidal where I have virtually unlimited access to more music than I could enjoy in my lifetime. [Redbook quality]

I feel this is the future and, although difficult, weaning ourselves off the "physical" and local ownership of a library makes more sense today than ever thanks to Auralic and others who are making this route more affordable and user friendly.

Just a suggestion so do the math and see what works best for you.

So I have had my Aries Mini for a while now. At first I was using it purely as a streamer, both with and without Lighting Server ( alternative was Minimserver), to access the music files on my NAS and Tidal.

For this I have used both the SPDIF and USB outputs. USB was rock solid, SPDIF I have had an occasional issue with the stream, for lack of a better word, oscillating, for lack of a better word, I need to try and track that down further. And of course I can only stream DSD via the USB output on the Mini.

Today, I changed things up and have been leveraging the NAS still, but using the DAC within the Mini to output via the RCA outputs.

I tell you, this is a versatile little beast, music sounds very good to me.

I wont go into comparisons at this point in time to other DACS, et al, but will state for the money I highly recommend the Aries Mini.

More to follow.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

So I have had my Aries Mini for a while now. At first I was using it purely as a streamer, both with and without Lighting Server ( alternative was Minimserver), to access the music files on my NAS and Tidal.

For this I have used both the SPDIF and USB outputs. USB was rock solid, SPDIF I have had an occasional issue with the stream, for lack of a better word, oscillating, for lack of a better word, I need to try and track that down further. And of course I can only stream DSD via the USB output on the Mini.

Today, I changed things up and have been leveraging the NAS still, but using the DAC within the Mini to output via the RCA outputs.

I tell you, this is a versatile little beast, music sounds very good to me.

I wont go into comparisons at this point in time to other DACS, et al, but will state for the money I highly recommend the Aries Mini.

More to follow.

Barr

Guess, you're wondering at 'normal listening' the Mini seams to stand up against your separate DAC with REGEN? ;)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline