IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Interesting... so basically if you want fast performance out of Lightning DS when adding new music the drive needs to be internal for rescan? Vs if

you don't use Lightning, its done at the speed of the media server app resident on the NAS?

That's correct: local file I/O is a lot faster than file I/O over a network, certainly a wireless network (protocol overhead). And depending on the NAS (disk speed, CPU performance and network connection 100Mb/s or 1 Gb/s) it will add additional latency. That's why I choose an internal SSD of 500Gb for the Aries Mini. A scan / rescan takes seconds instead of minutes. On my NAS is my full library. I can either copy the favorite tracks to the internal HDD or point LDS towards the NAS (MinimServer) in case I want to listen to a track that isn't on the internal SSD.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Okay, I reported problems with the Aries Mini. I got music interruptions with the Wadia121 using the USB output. I was on a family trip, so I couldn't test sooner than today. Auralic suggested to remove the Uptone Audio REGEN. I didn't. I changed the Supra USB 2.0 cable for an anonymous USB cable (it came with a printer or something). After hours of listening: so far so good!! I start to think the Supra USB cable is somehow 'broken'.

I was also curious to compare the Aries Mini DAC against the Wadia121. Test cases:

1. Aries Mini connected through Inakustik RCA interlink with PrimaLuna pre-amp.

Note:

I tested the directy connection to the power amp and to the pre-amp. The latter somehow gives a more pleasing sound. More 'relaxed' (this reflects my taste, so you may like a less relaxed sound signature).

However, to connect the Mini directly to the power amp is tricky. The RCA output of the Aries Mini is really high (high volume). So I had to use the volume control within LDS, at a level of '40' volume over the speakers was real loud. I did not want to risk my speakers... (a one time 'slip of the finger' on the volume slider of LDS..... ouch!!). For this set-up an absolute or relative volume limiter would be really nice, mr. Xuanqian Wang! The possibiliy in the set-up to limit the maximum volume. That could either be a limit preventing the slider to run any further than the max. number specified or a volume off-set (100 = - xx dB).

2. Aries Mini connected through USB with the Wadia121. Wadia121 connected with Inakustik RCA interlink with the power-amp of the PrimaLuna (thus bypassing the pre-amp of the PrimaLuna).

I compared cases 1 and 2 with two listening sessions: A/B comparison and a listening session for a few hours.

The A/B comparison was concentrated around the following songs:

- Maaike Ouboter, Anders (16bit - 44kHz), album: En hoe het dan ook weer dag wordt

- Youn Sun Nah, Hurt (16bit - 44kHz), album: Lento

- Carl Cleves and Parissa Bouas, Don't flowers grow (88.2kHz - 24bit), album: Out of Australia

- Livingston Taylor, Isn't she lovely? (24bit - 96 kHz), album: Ink

- Hiromi, Spirit (24bit - 96 kHz), album: Alive

The results:

I must really compliment Auralic: the sound quality of the Aries Mini is astonishing!! It comes really really close to the Wadia121. This DAC was sold for about €/$ 1.500... Sound through the Wadia121 wins on two aspects:

- better bass definition

- music is more relaxed.

Bass: the Aries has plenty of it (much better than Audirvana on my MacBook!), but on Hiromi's Spirit the bass solo becomes a bit 'muddy' whereas the Wadia is capable to resolve more details. This really is a clear difference and easy to discern.

I would add to the second aspect that stage depth is deeper and instrument separation is better with the Wadia121 (often referred to as 'emerging from a blacker background'). On dynamics the Aries Mini does a better job than the Wadia, the Aries is more punchy.

I also heard another difference: voices seemed a bit fat on the Aries Mini. I changed the DAC filter setting from 'Balanced' to 'Precise' and voila: voices were rendered the way I like them: emitting from a point in space. The Aries Mini and Wadia sound the same for voices with this Precise filter setting.

The listening session during a few hours was both pleasing with the Wadia121 and the Aries Mini. You won't get ear fatigue with the Aries Mini. It such a nice device!

Conclusion:

If I didn't own a Wadia121 I would not buy a separate DAC with the Aries Mini. Instead I would invest in a LPS for the Aries Mini. I bet sound will gain both on (bass) definition and '3D stage'. The Aries Mini then might well beat the Wadia121.

Another note:

Before I bought the Wadia121 I tested several DACs (M2Tech, Audiolab, Vega, ...). It was far more easy to discern these DACs from the Wadia121 than the Aries Mini. It really is that good!!!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

If you had a hard time discerning the mini from the Wadia, but it was easy to discern the Vega and others than you would think the Vega et al were much better than the Wadia or Mini.

That's how I read that?

No, I meant it the other way :). But I see now why you read it like this: I made a mistake. Sorry for that. I meant RRRega and not Vega.

The Wadia121 was (at that time in 2013) definitely better than the Rega Dac-R, Gold Note DAC7, Audiolab M-DAC and M2Tech Young. The latter is very good, but needed special drivers and I wasn't fond of that either (risk for compatibiliy).

I really would be keen to test drive the Aries Mini with a LPS. Could it beat or equal current DACs upto € 1.000,-!?

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hey Guys

They are a small company doing the best they can. I know it is not ideal for the 'I want everything now' society that we live in but they are getting there.

To illustrate the point - firmware update 2.10 (next week I believe) will put the HDD to sleep when not being used and a later update will let you hide input icons that you do not use and other features. Yes, small things but getting there. Whole platforms takes a huge amount of time. They have decided to focus on Apple OS to get the money coming in and then, maybe, they will have the manpower to do everything we ask of them.

iPads are so cheap. You pays your money and makes your choice.....

Has anyone tried Bubble UPNP for Android control ?

On the main feature list it states that it has JRiver Media server compatability, that will be my first port of call when it arrives.

All this ' you need an i pad to control it talk' will alienate some of their market..

Mine should be here Monday/Tuesday so I'll keep you posted.

[...]

All this ' you need an i pad to control it talk' will alienate some of their market..

Mine should be here Monday/Tuesday so I'll keep you posted.

Hi,

Well you don't have to take my word on it, but this what Auralic wrote on November 19, 2015 on their Facebook page in reply to a question about controlling the Mini with Android:

Hello, Hermano: ARIES is compatible with 3rd party uPnP control software, but you need an iOS device to finish the initial setup at least.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

It is a rather special little box isn't it?

YOU BET!

I have so many people calling me and with different uses in mind.

- in their main audio rack feeding their existing systems while eliminating the need for a computer or even a NAS

- for Aries owners, a perfect solution for a second zone that takes it's library from the Aries.

- as a portable device plugged into powered speakers on the deck or roof top.

- how about his one...... in the car with a DC PSU as the front end of your car stereo system.

-I travel a lot so the Mini, with an internal drive for library, goes with me everywhere and I just need a portable speaker I can buy anywhere. The mini takes less space than my shaving kit or electric toothbrush.

I am sure some others here can add to this list. Its a weekend so please chime in.

Stupid question maybe: will the mini work completely standalone even when no wi-fi network is available?

In that case, can it be controlled using ipad/iphone over its own private network?

Stupid question maybe: will the mini work completely standalone even when no wi-fi network is available?

In that case, can it be controlled using ipad/iphone over its own private network?

Unless things have changed you would need a wifi network to communicate from the iPad to the Auralic Mini to control music playback.

I have not tried testing this with the most recent releases.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

No, you cannot (with current firmware): the private network is only maintained during set-up, or when you force the hotspot mode it will resume to normal operation mode after about 5 minutes. Thus, you need a WiFi network router.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

No, you cannot (with current firmware): the private network is only maintained during set-up, or when you force the hotspot mode it will resume to normal operation mode after about 5 minutes. Thus, you need a WiFi network router.

I asked the same question over at their Facebook site a while ago, having my library attached at the back of the Aries - It's a no go.

I asked the same question over at their Facebook site a while ago, having my library attached at the back of the Aries - It's a no go.
- Ignoring the added expense, maybe adding something like this (Asus travel router) would allow the Mini to have its own little network for iPad control purposes. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/WL330NUL/ - You might also need a powered hub to power the router (or a wall wart usb power supply that you have sitting around) because the Mini only has one USB port (I think).

Joe

.....or the Apple Airport Express. I have been using this with several of my devices as a portable setup.

This is "my" use case: use the aries mini as a fully standalone device to listen to music, in a place where wifi is not available, for example in my place at the sea.

Believe it or not, there is a number of places where wifi is usually not available.

I understand this is not currently possible, unless you use an external wifi hotspot device (eg Airport Express or similar) which is in fact not difficult or too expensive, just an extra thing to do....

Thanks

Hurrah, my Mini arrived today! Arrgh though, couldn't do the install setup with Android Lightning DS, had to run out and buy an Ipad. Sounded awful straight out of the box but within 30 minutes of play it became acceptable and now after 2 hours of play it's very listenable using the Mini's DAC to Microzotl 2 and headphones. Can't wait till the weekend when I can reclaim my listening room and use main system DAC setup.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

This is "my" use case: use the aries mini as a fully standalone device to listen to music, in a place where wifi is not available, for example in my place at the sea.

Believe it or not, there is a number of places where wifi is usually not available.

I understand this is not currently possible, unless you use an external wifi hotspot device (eg Airport Express or similar) which is in fact not difficult or too expensive, just an extra thing to do....

Thanks

I suppose you could tote along a wifi range extender and use it as wireless access point for the controller... you only need LAN connectivity, not Internet connectivity to use the mini.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I suppose you could tote along a wifi range extender and use it as wireless access point for the controller... you only need LAN connectivity, not Internet connectivity to use the mini.

Good to know, I believe a long time ago that did not use to be the case.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

RolandGo - can you tell me how the mini compares to the Oppo 105? The 105d at least has Tidal direct, so I'm wondering: Mini feeding the 105/105d via Tidal, and then using the mini as a dac instead of the 105/105d. Does it blow it away, or is it similar in quality? From other reviews I expect it to be hopefully a large step up, but am very curious.

No, I meant it the other way :). But I see now why you read it like this: I made a mistake. Sorry for that. I meant RRRega and not Vega.

The Wadia121 was (at that time in 2013) definitely better than the Rega Dac-R, Gold Note DAC7, Audiolab M-DAC and M2Tech Young. The latter is very good, but needed special drivers and I wasn't fond of that either (risk for compatibiliy).

I really would be keen to test drive the Aries Mini with a LPS. Could it beat or equal current DACs upto € 1.000,-!?

I had a NAD M51 and sold it immediatly after getting the Mini with the linear PSU.

RolandGo - can you tell me how the mini compares to the Oppo 105? The 105d at least has Tidal direct, so I'm wondering: Mini feeding the 105/105d via Tidal, and then using the mini as a dac instead of the 105/105d. Does it blow it away, or is it similar in quality? From other reviews I expect it to be hopefully a large step up, but am very curious.

I haven't done any A/B testing yet. 105 has Tidal as well, not only the 105D; it's in the new firmware.

But the Mini sounds at least as good as the 105; that's with the stock wall wart. I'm waiting for the SBooster PSU, at the moment.

I had a NAD M51 and sold it immediatly after getting the Mini with the linear PSU.

Makes me even more curious to try the Mini with LPS! I'll soon have the SBooster PSU (BOTW P&P Eco) on demo :)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline