IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN

Just replaced the receiving TP-Link 220L (same TP-Link SFP, SBooster 24v instead of SBooster 9v).

Thank you for the suggestion. Unbelievable.

Sender still 220L.

Cheers

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

@KunterK

have you compared the mikrotik w the cisco 2960 TL performance? Never been a fan of the tp link. Ive tried using the tp link as the fiber end point out of my 2960 48TL and it made it worse. Direct is better.  The only problem is the 48TL is using smps. I thought if using the mikrotik as the fiber receiver (running lpsu) from the 48TL would it make it significantly better? Anyone? 

7 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

@KunterK

have you compared the mikrotik w the cisco 2960 TL performance? Never been a fan of the tp link. Ive tried using the tp link as the fiber end point out of my 2960 48TL and it made it worse. Direct is better.  The only problem is the 48TL is using smps. I thought if using the mikrotik as the fiber receiver (running lpsu) from the 48TL would it make it significantly better? Anyone? 

No I did not do the comparison... 

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to configure Mikrotik as a Switch (rather than the default config of bridged router). Much more relaxed and detailed like this...

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to replace my Ethernet Switch and Ethernet cable going to my usb streamer. Below are items I identified in various topics within Audiophile Style. I’m new at fiber connectivity and I want to make sure I’m buying the right compatible gear. Listed below is what I had in mind. My idea  on replacing the switch is to keep things simple with a direct fiber connection to the switch. I have a couple of other ideas floating around like the Etheregen and or an optic Rendu. But I though I would work on the network first

Thanks for the help

Thanks for your help

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBZB7P7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KNEoEbMB34ACN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U77VPX2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_xOEoEb2TDVS3Q

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IHWSF0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_nPEoEb4EQJF52

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B1JEWM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bQEoEbH5THEK9

2 hours ago, gocubs42 said:

I would like to replace my Ethernet Switch and Ethernet cable going to my usb streamer. Below are items I identified in various topics within Audiophile Style. I’m new at fiber connectivity and I want to make sure I’m buying the right compatible gear. Listed below is what I had in mind. My idea  on replacing the switch is to keep things simple with a direct fiber connection to the switch. I have a couple of other ideas floating around like the Etheregen and or an optic Rendu. But I though I would work on the network first

Thanks for the help

Thanks for your help

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBZB7P7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KNEoEbMB34ACN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U77VPX2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_xOEoEb2TDVS3Q

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IHWSF0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_nPEoEb4EQJF52

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B1JEWM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bQEoEbH5THEK9

This all seems reasonable as a starter kit. Might consider getting a Sonore opticalModule instead of the FMC listed. The opticalModule made a huge improvement over a cheap FMC in my system.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:56 PM, KunterK said:

Finally managed to configure Mikrotik as a Switch (rather than the default config of bridged router). Much more relaxed and detailed like this...

I haven't compared SQ but configure as switch is the way to go. Keep everything simple!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:56 PM, KunterK said:

Finally got around to configuring my Mikrotik as a switch but could not get a connection to my FMC & Google WiFi access point which goes out to my router & Internet. The light on the Mikrotik never came on for that connection although the other three SFP connections did light up.

Ended up resetting (reset button) the Mikrotik back to the default router O/S and everything is working as before and most likely stay that way.

Probably auto-negotiation is failing in the default configuration. A simple connection via web interface may solve the issue. You can manually determine the communication speed for the connection to your FMC...

But since the failing connection is the one to reach the switch itself, you need to connect separately through RJ45 man port... Might be too much of a hassle, but in my case the result was worth it.

I use the Mikrotik as an FMC. Just before dCS NB, receiving optical from SOTM switch. You may also try copper connection to Mikrotik from Google, eliminating your FMC and additional optical connection (you are isolating the network anyways after Mikrotik). You need to do a small adjustment as well, since by default the switch configuration does not include the RJ45 connection in switching, reserving it just for management. In my case adding another copper SFP further improved performance since the copper connection is apparently not Duplex?

This is the RJ45 SFP I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6PQ6I2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cheers

On 2/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, ericuco said:

Finally got around to configuring my Mikrotik as a switch but could not get a connection to my FMC & Google WiFi access point which goes out to my router & Internet. The light on the Mikrotik never came on for that connection although the other three SFP connections did light up.

You have an FMC between your Google WiFi and Mikrotik? ie only fiber into the Mikrotik? 

Sounds like a config issue with the FMC. Does your FMC auto-negotiate?

On 2/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, ericuco said:

Ended up resetting (reset button) the Mikrotik back to the default router O/S and everything is working as before and most likely stay that way.

You shouldn’t need to do this. 

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

You have an FMC between your Google WiFi and Mikrotik? ie only fiber into the Mikrotik? 

Sounds like a config issue with the FMC. Does your FMC auto-negotiate?

You shouldn’t need to do this. 

Yes, I have a TP-Link MC220L FMC between the Google Wifi & Mikrotik. I tried the FMC in both Auto and Force mode but neither would connect.

On the Mikrotik, all four SFP ports are used - 1) music server w/ Intel X520-DA1 NIC, 2) opticalRendu, 3) Google Wifi/FMC & 4) another optical switch for Roku connection. The only connection that does NOT connect (judging by the lights on the Mikrotik) is the Google Wifi/FMC when using SwOS. There are no problems with the default RouterOS.

I am not in configuring a managed switch. Much more of an unmanaged switch person so either it works or it doesn't for the most part. I might revisit this later but not just enjoying the music.

19 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Yes, I have a TP-Link MC220L FMC between the Google Wifi & Mikrotik. I tried the FMC in both Auto and Force mode but neither would connect.

On the Mikrotik, all four SFP ports are used - 1) music server w/ Intel X520-DA1 NIC, 2) opticalRendu, 3) Google Wifi/FMC & 4) another optical switch for Roku connection. The only connection that does NOT connect (judging by the lights on the Mikrotik) is the Google Wifi/FMC when using SwOS. There are no problems with the default RouterOS.

I am not in configuring a managed switch. Much more of an unmanaged switch person so either it works or it doesn't for the most part. I might revisit this later but not just enjoying the music.

Try swapping the ports to see if it’s the FMC or perhaps the port got turned off in the switch config. The SFP light should be on!

36 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Have you tried flipping the fiber connector Tx/Rx at one end? Just remove the tab.

LCLC TX RX swap.jpg

7 hours ago, ericuco said:

To be clear, my thinking is that RouterOS and SwOS have different configs, thus a port could be turned off in SwOS but in in RouterOS

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, jabbr said:

To be clear, my thinking is that RouterOS and SwOS have different configs, thus a port could be turned off in SwOS but in in RouterOS

Finally got Mikrotik to boot in SwOS and connect to all ports. 

Logged into switch and all ports were enabled. The problem was that it was not recognizing one of my SFP’s (port 3).  Strange since port 2 had the same type of SFP (brand & model). Swapped SFP’s in ports 2 & 3 all were recognized and everything is working.

I suspect that port 3 is a little flaky. At least I know where to look if problems arise in the future. 

Also, I updated the SwOS software while I was logged in. That could have helped as well, who the hell knows. The RouterOS did not have the issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear I’ve done it again ... my right pinky twitched and I got a Mellanox SN2700 100Gbe switch on eBay 🙄

I loaded the open Ethernet Sonic OS which is based on Linux. 

Since my house has single mode fiber, I can simply plop a QSFP28 NIC into my workstation upstairs and connect to my NAS in the basement. Finally a reason to go PCIe-4 including NVME over Ethernet 😋

I wonder how the SQ will be on those videos I’m editing 🤷🏻‍♂️975AC410-B893-4D47-99BC-72F2D343C830.jpeg.81792bc97a4f11f93560972538869c51.jpeg

56 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Oh dear I’ve done it again ... my right pinky twitched and I got a Mellanox SN2700 100Gbe switch on eBay 🙄

I loaded the open Ethernet Sonic OS which is based on Linux. 

Since my house has single mode fiber, I can simply plop a QSFP28 NIC into my workstation upstairs and connect to my NAS in the basement. Finally a reason to go PCIe-4 including NVME over Ethernet 😋

I wonder how the SQ will be on those videos I’m editing 🤷🏻‍♂️975AC410-B893-4D47-99BC-72F2D343C830.jpeg.81792bc97a4f11f93560972538869c51.jpeg

I have an extra Mellanox MNPH29D-XTR NIC if you need one. No charge except for shipping costs.

Assuming it still works, been a few years since I used it. Ended up with an Intel X520-DA1 NIC for my server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, hpfish said:

I connect my TPlink FCM to my EtherRegen using single mode SFPs and fiber cable and it works fine, but wonder if I should use multi-mode instead of single mode.  Which method is preferable?   Any ideas why one prefers one over the other?  

Single mode is 1350nm, MM is 850nm. Single mode is for long haul (distances greater than MM 980 feet). Single mode tranceivers will, comparatively, drive your impelementation costs up.

There's zero reason to go with Single Mode. Since these are data devices and not audio devices neither makes an audible difference.