IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

My thinking at this point is that there is no need to get an FMC at this point -- simply use this little switch with an RJ-45 copper SFP port in and an SFP optical SFP port out. You still have 2 SFP(+) ports left over so you can connect both your NAS and your music server.

For $130 on Amazon, its hard to beat. https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L/ref=pd_cart_vw_crc_1_3/137-0425635-5167126?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07LFKGP1L&pd_rd_r=f04b463a-2e34-490a-8988-1993e9891975&pd_rd_w=CkdJf&pd_rd_wg=ploFz&pf_rd_p=9af4a820-d9ab-496c-bf25-8a58e63d3c7b&pf_rd_r=PCPJ6CRWJA4747MBC32E&psc=1&refRID=PCPJ6CRWJA4747MBC32E

I have one on order, and will post review here in the following week.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I have a few different SFPs plus I have a Mikrotik S-RJ10 on the way — a 10G/1G/100m/10m module, there’s also the S-RJ01 which is a 1G copper SFP.

Compatibility: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_SFP_module_compatibility_table

The Foundry is just an ancient module I found laying around. For new, aside from Mikrotik, I’d get Cisco, HP or Finisar — I’ll test these in a bit and post compatibility.

But yes, this could be copper Ethernet in and then out to 3 fiber devices in a local audio network eg server, NAS, endpoint.

I happened to see a review on servethehome.com of the Mikrotik big brother and then found this little unit.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Can you pop the top so we see the inside? 9_9

I might void the warrantee 😉 Give me some time and I’ll see.

If you happen to be interested in which clock they use remember that the clock might account for 1/3 rd of the total jitter, the rest is all the other circuits. The standard requires end-to-end jitter testing.

Is the thought with the MikroTik to be used like any other switch but being it supports 10gb standards, it might be a “quieter” and rival some of the audiophile switches (if there is such a thing) or just that it has 4 sfp ports and is inexpensive?  Or all the above 

My rig

Can it retrofit standard 850nm SFP's or does it have to have SFP+ transceivers? I wonder how it compares to the Sonore opticaModule? Thinking going from one of these to oM in the main setup and also oM in the office from the same beginning transceiver/switch might be cool. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

Is the thought with the MikroTik to be used like any other switch but being it supports 10gb standards, it might be a “quieter” and rival some of the audiophile switches (if there is such a thing) or just that it has 4 sfp ports and is inexpensive?  Or all the above 

Rival? It’s optical and uses the 10GBase-X standard (802.3ae) so has to meet way higher standard than 1g switches. Fiberoptic out is perfectly quiet. 

If you read read through the linked testing documents, there is a huge discussion about how incoming jitter is not propagated to the output.

Its really inexpensive for what you get. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Can it retrofit standard 850nm SFP's or does it have to have SFP+ transceivers? I wonder how it compares to the Sonore opticaModule? Thinking going from one of these to oM in the main setup and also oM in the office from the same beginning transceiver/switch might be cool. 

Yes I am using it with 1g 850nm SFPs (the Finisar) as well as 1g single mode. 

This is is a switch, so it implements things like 802.3z (flow control) and has a routing/vlan mode but I’m not using that. 

Because it is 10G noise on the input is not propagated to the output — read the long documents I’ve linked above to understand this — see: stressed eye pattern testing.

Well @jabbr you have been making this point about 10 gigabit ethernet for quite some time now and thank you for that.

I'd like to see some feedback on sound quality comparing your Microtik CRS305 to the EtherREGEN once it becomes available.  I get the impression that you feel the tight standards for 10 gigabit render something like the EtherREGEN redundant.  Am I reading too much into your posts?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

37 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Rival? It’s optical and uses the 10GBase-X standard (802.3ae) so has to meet way higher standard than 1g switches. Fiberoptic out is perfectly quiet. 

If you read read through the linked testing documents, there is a huge discussion about how incoming jitter is not propagated to the output.

Its really inexpensive for what you get. 

Rival was poor choice of words, I thought you may have tried the various switches from the audio vendors etc..I have no ref with those.  Anyway I run fiber in my home and to listening room for the past couple years and have been very happy with the results. 

I guess was wondering if it was basically the price point for this switch that was the standout, being fiber is self explanatory. Thanks for the info and links. 

Since my fiber switch isn't working well with the OM and mU, I'm considering options.

My rig

18 minutes ago, rickca said:

Well @jabbr you have been making this point about 10 gigabit ethernet for quite some time now and thank you for that.

I have long seen fiberoptic ethernet as a great isolation technique. Certainly for electrical noise, and 10G and up for phase noise/jitter.

18 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'd like to see some feedback on sound quality comparing your Microtik CRS305 to the EtherREGEN once it becomes available.  I get the impression that you feel the tight standards for 10 gigabit render something like the EtherREGEN redundant.  Am I reading too much into your posts?

There is no reason a device like EtherREGEN or opticalModule can't exceed the 1g Ethernet standards. I haven't seen any measurements to say one way or the other. I can say that this fiberoptic switch, with a fiberoptic endpoint is silent.

I am not commenting on the copper Ethernet output to a copper Ethernet endpoint. There are many different devices with different purposes. I see the strength of the EtherREGEN, from what I understand of the design, to be for fiberoptic in and copper out?

3 minutes ago, Foggie said:

I guess was wondering if it was basically the price point for this switch that was the standout, being fiber is self explanatory. Thanks for the info and links.

Yes, 10g fiber (10GBase-X) at the pricepoint, being compatible with 1g SFPSs and fanless.

I have never "listened" to an "audiophile" copper Ethernet switch. In my view a switch should be completely silent/transparent, and this is. My Brocade switch in the basement, and Mellanox switch, are also silent and transparent, but they have fans, so aren't so silent in my basement ;) 

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

This is is a switch, so it implements things like 802.3z (flow control) and has a routing/vlan mode but I’m not using that. 

Hi, so flow control can be defeated in the settings for this device, just trying to confirm for sure!  Thanks, B.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, barrows said:

Hi, so flow control can be defeated in the settings for this device, just trying to confirm for sure!  Thanks, B.

Why would you want to defeat flow control? Especially in this kind of case where you could have 10 Gbps vs 1 Gbps link transition?

Of course if you prefer packet losses instead...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

If going optical (and not going 10 Gbps) is the main point, then I guess an even cheaper option would be: 

https://www.dectdirect.nl/nl/mikrotik-cloud-router-switch-106-1c-5s.html?id=100502939&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_OzrBRDmARIsAAIdQ_JjfeQS4ern122cA1qZ5WKcPiv3Jodsk5_yLd2nzvSQycRUYixch5oaAkvUEALw_wcB

Also nice that this can be powered by anything between 11 and 30 VDC.

audio system

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

If going optical (and not going 10 Gbps) is the main point, then I guess an even cheaper option would be: 

https://www.dectdirect.nl/nl/mikrotik-cloud-router-switch-106-1c-5s.html?id=100502939&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_OzrBRDmARIsAAIdQ_JjfeQS4ern122cA1qZ5WKcPiv3Jodsk5_yLd2nzvSQycRUYixch5oaAkvUEALw_wcB

Also nice that this can be powered by anything between 11 and 30 VDC.

The 10Gbe switch is built to a much much higher standard, and by standard I mean IEEE. Not just the speed but the isolation, jitter etc. For an extra few bucks it’s worth it, that said nothing wrong with 1Gbe. 

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Why would you want to defeat flow control? Especially in this kind of case where you could have 10 Gbps vs 1 Gbps link transition?

Of course if you prefer packet losses instead...

Yes exactly the situation that pause-frame is designed for : downlinks from 10Gbe to 1Gbe can easily overwhelm internal buffers. 

Also the datasheet for the iMX6 specifies pause-frames because the internal speed is capped at 400Mbs ... are the pause-frames generated by the hardware ie PHY and the device driver controls? Or does the driver generate the frames?

Actually I suspect that I have an answer .... not for the iMX6 specifically but looks like the Ethernet stuff including 802.3x is typically implemented in hardware ie VHDL or Verilog. In fact the Marvel Prestera ASIC one of which I believe powers the Mikrotik includes an ARM core so in this case the “driver” switches the flow-control on/off. No doubt Freescale/NXP does the same?