IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

I would use either Amazon or Ebay. Lots of sellers. I use single mode, but have not compared SM to MM. If you use MM just match the transceivers.

Regards

Bob

Thank you again. I think I will go for MM just for kicks.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks guys. I got it all figured out, at least in terms of what to buy. I am going to first try fiber connection between my Control and Audio PCs. I am still not entirely sure if adding 2 FMCs, 2 ethernet cables, 1 fiber cable, and 2 power supplies will yield an improvement over a direct ethernet connection between the two PCs but I guess we will see. Worst case, if it doesnt improve things I I can reuse the FMC and fiber cable for my second little project of isolating my actual network (NAS, wireless bridge, and Control PC).

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks guys. I got it all figured out, at least in terms of what to buy. I am going to first try fiber connection between my Control and Audio PCs. I am still not entirely sure if adding 2 FMCs, 2 ethernet cables, 1 fiber cable, and 2 power supplies will yield an improvement over a direct ethernet connection between the two PCs but I guess we will see. Worst case, if it doesnt improve things I I can reuse the FMC and fiber cable for my second little project of isolating my actual network (NAS, wireless bridge, and Control PC).

You could try wireless vs fiber. Might be interesting. :)

You could try wireless vs fiber. Might be interesting. :)

Yeah that would interesting. If I was not so lazy I would have run an ethernet cable from my router down to my Control PC instead of using a wireless bridge in the first place though. I am afraid the wireless bridge is here to stay unless I want to go the route of powerline networking. Too many options!

Other components:

Yeah that would interesting. If I was not so lazy I would have run an ethernet cable from my router down to my Control PC instead of using a wireless bridge in the first place though. I am afraid the wireless bridge is here to stay unless I want to go the route of powerline networking. Too many options!

The new wireless routers have excellent bandwidth. The software on the Control PC should buffer latency issues.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Thank you Bob. I like the MC220L too because it uses the smaller LC-LC connectors. That link to the linear wall wart is very useful too! I prefer that over batteries from a pure convenience point of view. Does anyone know if that wall wart performs well?

A big advantage of batteries is that you avoid ground loop/noise in ground circuit issues.

A big advantage of batteries is that you avoid ground loop/noise in ground circuit issues.

Agreed. Which batteries do you use? I will try those.

Other components:

Looks like TeckNet PowerGen iEP1500-WHITE 16000mAH Power Bank is a good choice to power the FMC. Are these available in the US? I can only find the 15000mAH version on Amazon. Here is the link on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FBCJ184/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=3UC52UAYZ9QWW&coliid=I28UTFAOZDOCEK&vs=1

Other components:

hi tboooe

the tecknet power banks are ok because you can leave them charging when they power the fmcs. thus their capacity is not really the issue, 15000mAh or 16000 are ok.

i have 4 banks of 16000mAh, pretty good product.

rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Is the only difference the capacity and the total amperage? I think the new 1600 version is 3.4amps versus 3.1amps of the one listed on Amazon.

hi tboooe

the tecknet power banks are ok because you can leave them charging when they power the fmcs. thus their capacity is not really the issue, 15000mAh or 16000 are ok.

i have 4 banks of 16000mAh, pretty good product.

rgds

Other components:

Aren't, Anker power banks, switching power inverters that step up voltage? Shouldn't we be using sealed Lead Acid or Lithium 6V battery instead?

(Audio)

Anker makes a number of models so some research may be needed. The models that only output 5V and which are supplied by 5v chargers need no step up.

Specific models have been discussed much earlier in thread along with listening reports.

Shhh..., the people who like those things don't want to know that. ;)

There are many many different power supply designs, each having certain benefits and limitations. One very big advantage of battery power is that it is floating, and when floating power is desirable, batteries are often used. Batteries don't inject noise back into the main ground, nor get noise from the main ground. Likewise batteries are reasonably low noise. Not great impendance. Not precisely regulated. In any case the 5V Ankers etc are very cheap, and hard to beat in the $25 range, maybe the iPower competes here. In any case in this thread we encourage folks to post their results. I'm not sure that an FMC would benefit from a $1000 power supply, but as all network appliances have clocks, and as clocks benefit from good power, it is very reasonable to use a reasonably good power supply on these devices.

I can assure you 1000% that the battery supplies that I make myself for my own use (***) have no switching circuits save for the relays used to autoswitch between supply and recharge. But maybe you are onto something, if you bring the JS-2 to the gym to power your iPhone, you get a much better workout :-) What do you use to vibration isolate your Nordic Track?

(***) I use Ankers on my FMCs, you don't need to go crazy for that application.

Anker makes a number of models so some research may be needed. The models that only output 5V and which are supplied by 5v chargers need no step up.

Specific models have been discussed much earlier in thread along with listening reports.

Are you sure that there are no switching regulators in them? I thought all of the phone type batteries had switching regulators?

Are you sure that there are no switching regulators in them? I thought all of the phone type batteries had switching regulators?

Some definitely have regulators, others don't. Only way to know is to take one apart. Alternatively measure voltage over time. For really critical applications I make my own supplies.

The fiber optic switches/FMCs we are discussing here themselves take a wide range supply (5-12v) so I'm going to assume they themselves have switching downregulators... not sure there is one right answer here ... on the other hand a few $ spent on a battery can always be given to one of your kids as an emergency phone charger.

I am currently isolating my HQPlayer NAA using a pair of TP-LINK MC100CM FMC's with nice results.

Would I get any better results replacing one of the FMC's with a fiber NIC inside the NAA?

Thoughts?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Hi,

I've got a couple of TPLink 200CM MM gigabit FMCs and was wondering if it would be overkill to get 10GB OM3 SC to SC cable? Would the "faster" cable make any difference, or even work?

TIA

Cheers,

Not overkill. I use OM3 grade cable. It should work fine.