IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

This will be the OEM "Diablo" switch. He can get it for even less at the taobao (internal) site. It's 500 yuan!

I didn't want to pipe up because I didn't want to be a d!ck since no one outside China can buy it, but this is it right here. There might be other sellers with it, but yeah, fluctuates from 440yuan to 500.

FT

It's also hosted on the upscale taobao called "T-Mall", which means it's coming from a verified/well-moneyed seller. It's the same one I'll be buying, so I'm happy to hear that Paul Pang will have tested the waters before me.

That's about the best news I could have heard on the topic since I've got those clocks already and that switch is just the one I'd be buying. I'll be eagerly awaiting your comparison since you'll have a stock and modded unit side by side :-D

Hi guys:

I'm too tire to look them all up, so can a couple of you remind me what voltages the various optical units you are using run on? (At the DAC end seems more important, so the FMC or whatever there.) Just wondering if our new "mystery PS" with selectable 5V/7V and 1A will do the job for some of you in the optical segment.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Hi guys:

I'm too tire to look them all up, so can a couple of you remind me what voltages the various optical units you are using run on? (At the DAC end seems more important, so the FMC or whatever there.) Just wondering if our new "mystery PS" with selectable 5V/7V and 1A will do the job for some of you in the optical segment.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Jabbr mentioned the gtech switch requires a 2A supply.

For my media converters they use: External Power Adapter, 9V/0.6A or 5V/1A

Jabbr mentioned the gtech switch requires a 2A supply.

I'd say 2A is minimum. The specs say 10W power consumption. 3A is safer especially if loaded with SFPs. 5V seems to be minimum but they will run with higher voltage, at least 9 and perhaps 12V input.

Our NAA would like 12V 3A supply:)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Hi Jabbr,

I've finally decided where to put the server and would like to try one of these setups instead of using cheap ethernet cabling. I'm using a mac mini, and a synology 1515+. Can you point to a post, or simply give me some links of products I need to buy. I'd prefer using a switch too so I'm not worried about costs. All of this seems pretty cheap to implement.

Thanks Jabbr!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Hi Jabbr,

I've finally decided where to put the server and would like to try one of these setups instead of using cheap ethernet cabling. I'm using a mac mini, and a synology 1515+. Can you point to a post, or simply give me some links of products I need to buy. I'd prefer using a switch too so I'm not worried about costs. All of this seems pretty cheap to implement.

Thanks Jabbr!

Chris

First page (or two) of this thread. I use this switch: 9 ports Gigabit Ethernet Optical Fiber Switch with 8 SFP ports and 1*10/100/1000Mbps RJ45-in Network Switches from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group ... you can also buy it labelled "Diablo" on Amazon.

Ok Jabbr, do I have this right? Ethernet cable to the 9 Port Switch you mentioned, to a TP-Link MC220L fiber media converter (FMC) over LC-LC Duplex OM3 fiber (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10m-LC-LC-Duplex-50-125-Multimode-10-Gb-Fiber-Patch-Cable-Aqua-om3-/141442611978?hash=item20eea2fb0a)

to another MC220L and then finally to Ethernet IN on my Synology Server?

And then just use a regular Ethernet cable from Server to Mac Mini?

Thanks!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I would do:

Synology -> FMC -> LC-LC fiber -> Switch -> LC-LC fiber -> FMC -> Mac Mini

So in this simple setup you don't strictly need the switch, but assuming you want to connect the mac mini to the internet, you could then connect the RJ-45 connector on the switch to your internet router.

I would do:

Synology -> FMC -> LC-LC fiber -> Switch -> LC-LC fiber -> FMC -> Mac Mini

So in this simple setup you don't strictly need the switch, but assuming you want to connect the mac mini to the internet, you could then connect the RJ-45 connector on the switch to your internet router.

LOL!! That does make better sense! hehe

Thanks so much Jabbr for the help and thread!

Chris

LOL!! That does make better sense! hehe

Thanks so much Jabbr for the help and thread!

Chris

Not to muddy the waters too much but there are those (member tgb) who recommend not using RJ45 connection on optical switch at all due to adverse SQ. In this case copper ethernet switch can be connected to optical switch via FMC or two optical switches can be connected together - one being used for RJ45 connections and the other exclusively Fiber.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Not to muddy the waters too much but there are those (member tgb) who recommend not using RJ45 connection on optical switch at all due to adverse SQ. In this case copper ethernet switch can be connected to optical switch via FMC or two optical switches can be connected together - one being used for RJ45 connections and the other exclusively Fiber.

Well, perhaps later lol

Do I the assembly right in my head? The FMC fits into the SFP slot in the switch? (with the LLC fiber fits into the FMC)?? and the Synology is connected to the 1000base T input in the switch? Then onward, so LC-LC fiber -> FMC -> Mac Mini.

If this is so, then what connects the fmc to the mac mini? Doesn't the last FMC need to be in a housing?

I'm so close to understanding this, so please be patient ;)) Maybe a pic of one assembled?

Thanks!

Chris

The FMC is a simple switch -- copper RJ-45 in and optical LC out. Each 220L needs its own SFP and each connection to the switch needs its own SFP ... So for 2 connections = 4 SFP.

The NAS connects to one FMC via a short copper Ethernet cable. Same for the Mac mini to the other FMC.

You use an LC-LC duplex optical cable to connect each FMC to the switch. The LC-LC cable actually plugs into the SFP.

Sure you can always get a third FMC to connect the switch to the rest of the network using a third optical cable (and 2 more SFPs)

The FMC is a simple switch -- copper RJ-45 in and optical LC out. Each 220L needs its own SFP and each connection to the switch needs its own SFP ... So for 2 connections = 4 SFP.

The NAS connects to one FMC via a short copper Ethernet cable. Same for the Mac mini to the other FMC.

You use an LC-LC duplex optical cable to connect each FMC to the switch. The LC-LC cable actually plugs into the SFP.

Wow, nearly a tongue twister! Thanks Jabbr for the details.

So overall?? I do hope I have this right:

NAS ethernet to FMC to SFP, to FMC to SFP to FMC to 9 port switch to SFP to FMC ethernet to Mac Mini.

Let's try this:

1) Every optical connection has an SFP on each end. Just assume 2 SFPs for each optical connection (this isn't always true but for our purposes just assume this)

2) An FMC connects a copper Ethernet cable to an optical Ethernet cable.

3) Switch accepts optical Ethernet connections.

So ...

NAS - copper ethernet -> FMC - optical ethernet ->Switch

Mac Mini -copper ethernet -> FMC - optical ethernet ->Switch

Does that make sense?

Wow, nearly a tongue twister! Thanks Jabbr for the details.

So overall?? I do hope I have this right:

NAS ethernet to FMC to SFP, to FMC to SFP to FMC to 9 port switch to SFP to FMC ethernet to Mac Mini.

Not really. :)

SFPs are plug in modules that accept the LC-LC fiber connectors. Therefore you need one at each end of a fiber connection. SFPs then literally plug-in (or slide in) to fiber switches or fiber converters (FMCs). These switches and FMCs have blank holes in them when you buy them, and accept SFPs. So do fiber NIC cards (they have blank holes that require an SFP too).

You only need FMCs (with SFPs now in them) for units like a NAS or a pc (that doesn't have a fiber NIC card) or a regular rj45 gigabit switch. Me? I replaced mywired gigabit switch with a Diablo fiber switch (which saved me having to use FMCs at that end of the connection, as well as those short runs of copper wired ethernet from FMC to source; I still needed those pesky SFPs, though..but instead of sliding them into FMCs at that end I used the blank holes in the Diablo switch).

So: if you have four things your are wiring up for fiber (switch, NAS, two pcs) you need eight (8) SFPS and eight holes to slide them in. Those eight holes could be literally eight FMCs (with eight short copper ethernet cables, argh!!) but for me they are:

Diablo fiber switch (that takes care of four SFPS; has room for eight)

Mellanox NIC car in one pc (one SFP)

Synology NAS (one FMC, one SFP, one 6" CAT6A cable)

other pc (one FMC, one SFP, one 6" Cat6A cable)

router (one FMC, one SFp, one 6" Cat6A cable)....

and four lc-lc plastic fiber cables of various lengths, from 2M to 15M.

I envision eventually replacing one of my FMCs (the one for the "other pc" used as an NAA right now) with another Mellanox fiber NIC card, but currently have no PCI slot for it. I don;t envision replacing my Synology with a new SFP-capable one (they exist but that's an enormous move for that simple upgrade) or replacing my router with a fiber version either.

My only non-fiber ethernet appliance remaining is my Signature Rendu (or Aries..they are not up at the same time). Why is it not part of this fiber upgrade yet? Cuz it needs to see 10/100 speed, not gigabit, and so I'd need another brand of FMC and haven't bought it yet. I have room in my Diablo switch for it. I'd need 2 more SFPs too (but I have those already too). And cuz the Diablo switch already has an RJ45 prot it handles my Rendu copper wire just fine right now.

Make sense?

Here is a picture of my layout that may help you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20363[/ATTACH]

Good pic. And in each of the hexagon FMCs is an SFP, and in the yellow switch are 4 SFPS.

Good pic. And in each of the hexagon FMCs is an SFP, and in the yellow switch are 4 SFPS.

Yes - optical equipment count for above is:

4 FMC's

1 Optical Switch

8 SFP

4 Optical Cables

I have mentioned this before but for those going through the trouble of setting this up, do not ignore power supply. IMO,stock SMPS are awful. Like several other members, I have battery power on each each FMC and switch. I use 15K mAH TechNet's.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Let's try this:

1) Every optical connection has an SFP on each end. Just assume 2 SFPs for each optical connection (this isn't always true but for our purposes just assume this)

2) An FMC connects a copper Ethernet cable to an optical Ethernet cable.

3) Switch accepts optical Ethernet connections.

So ...

NAS - copper ethernet -> FMC - optical ethernet ->Switch

Mac Mini -copper ethernet -> FMC - optical ethernet ->Switch

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes total sense Jabbr. So with this, #3 above, there's no need for FMC b/c of the Diablo switch has them

Not really. :)

SFPs are plug in modules that accept the LC-LC fiber connectors. Therefore you need one at each end of a fiber connection. SFPs then literally plug-in (or slide in) to fiber switches or fiber converters (FMCs). These switches and FMCs have blank holes in them when you buy them, and accept SFPs. So do fiber NIC cards (they have blank holes that require an SFP too).

You only need FMCs (with SFPs now in them) for units like a NAS or a pc (that doesn't have a fiber NIC card) or a regular rj45 gigabit switch. Me? I replaced mywired gigabit switch with a Diablo fiber switch (which saved me having to use FMCs at that end of the connection, as well as those short runs of copper wired ethernet from FMC to source; I still needed those pesky SFPs, though..but instead of sliding them into FMCs at that end I used the blank holes in the Diablo switch).

So: if you have four things your are wiring up for fiber (switch, NAS, two pcs) you need eight (8) SFPS and eight holes to slide them in. Those eight holes could be literally eight FMCs (with eight short copper ethernet cables, argh!!) but for me they are:

Diablo fiber switch (that takes care of four SFPS; has room for eight)

Mellanox NIC car in one pc (one SFP)

Synology NAS (one FMC, one SFP, one 6" CAT6A cable)

other pc (one FMC, one SFP, one 6" Cat6A cable)

router (one FMC, one SFp, one 6" Cat6A cable)....

and four lc-lc plastic fiber cables of various lengths, from 2M to 15M.

I envision eventually replacing one of my FMCs (the one for the "other pc" used as an NAA right now) with another Mellanox fiber NIC card, but currently have no PCI slot for it. I don;t envision replacing my Synology with a new SFP-capable one (they exist but that's an enormous move for that simple upgrade) or replacing my router with a fiber version either.

My only non-fiber ethernet appliance remaining is my Signature Rendu (or Aries..they are not up at the same time). Why is it not part of this fiber upgrade yet? Cuz it needs to see 10/100 speed, not gigabit, and so I'd need another brand of FMC and haven't bought it yet. I have room in my Diablo switch for it. I'd need 2 more SFPs too (but I have those already too). And cuz the Diablo switch already has an RJ45 prot it handles my Rendu copper wire just fine right now.

Make sense?

Thank you Ted for jumping in, I appreciate it. Very interesting to learn the SFPs fit inside the FMC, and so many other products. Now the 'module' part makes sense ;) Also interesting is the Diablo switch eliminates 2 FMC/4 SFPs in the process. I believe there was a Chinese vendor of a similar one earlier in the thread.

My setup is modest in comparison Ted. I have the Synology NAS, an older Apple Time Capsule/router, and a Mac Mini only. All the other Mac's in the house use wi-fi.

As I type, so much more info posted, Thank you Gldgate, great photo. Great follow up Ted too.

I have much to think about here guys. A lot of info I need to digest. Much appreciation!